Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Vista

98 SE: here I come (again).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    I'm convinced that Windows has such high system requirements just to get more people to buy computers. And computers go wrong so often so you have to buy a new computer, which comes with the latest version of Windows...
    What is going wrong with your computer that you have to buy a new one?
    It's all a big scam. I use a seven year old computer with Linux which was free. Can't say it doesn't do anything that I could do with Vista. Except get hacked obviously.
    Linux is nice, if you don't go into trying to replace Windows. I started with it as an adventure and once I finally(!) got it to work properly stuck with it. And yes, it does have much lower system requirements

I don't know if anyone caught David Pogue's video story on the NY Times a few weeks back:

David Pogue NYT Windows Vista review

It's pretty funny.
    Last edited by hulkinout; 01-30-2007 at 12:36 PM.

"Lebanon's Soothsayers"... wtf

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

WBB Member
    I can get it for free through my university's MSDNAA, but I think I'll pass for now. From what I understand driver support is still a bit iffy and they totally redid some parts of windows that are going to give some older programs problems. Plus all of the DRM stuff they implement doesn't really appeal to me either.

I'm fine with winXP pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    "Lebanon's Soothsayers"... wtf
    LOL...NYT video defaults to it's main screen. So go to this URL:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/

Under the video search window (not the top one, the one mid to bottom right hand corner) type in vista or david pogue. The video will pop up. It shows how *snicker* different it is from the version of Mac OSX that's been around for about 2 years.
    Last edited by ectx; 01-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^^

Yeah. Drivers are a problem right now, especially for the newest graphics cards.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    Under the video search window (not the top one, the one mid to bottom right hand corner) type in vista or david pogue. The video will pop up. It shows how *snicker* different it is from the version of Mac OSX that's been around for about 2 years.
    Wow, that had me laughing. Seems like Apple should sue for something!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    LOL...NYT video defaults to it's main screen. So go to this URL:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/

Meh. I'm hardly a Microsoft champion, but the things he pointed out are superficial elements. So what? Twenty years ago Steve Jobs ripped off the windows and mouse concepts from Xerox and pretended like they were innovations. The internals of the two, for better or worse, have nothing to do with one another.

Much as I dislike some of Microsoft's stuff, I find the sanctimoniousness of Mac zealots even more annoying (and I'm not directing this at you ectx). I kind of respect Bill Gates in some odd way. If I ever met Steve Jobs (who from all account is a raging douche and does stuff like unplug people's computers because he deems their code 'unartistic' forcing them to work late into the night), I think I'd punch him in the face.

Any of the various distributions of Linux are arguably better than either of these OSes anyway.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-30-2007 at 08:12 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

That video did a pretty good job of convincing me to install vista. It looks like a little more of an upgrade from XP than I thought. I guess after all the software I have releases Vista upgrades I'll go for it.