The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Heart rate during cardio

Every time I do Cardio my heart rate gets up to 180-190 BPM and then fluctuates around 170 - 180 ... I'm a little worried as this seems high (or is it?), what numbers do other get from a standard cardio session? (i.e. HIIT not included)
    -Blake

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey dude,
    When i first started my heart rate was high like that as well, i think its just means that your not fit. However try to not go over board other wise youll end burning yourself out and doing bad rather then good...
    The numbers that you are getting is around the weight loss area BUT youll find out that after a few months your heart rate will drop which means your getting fitter...Hope that helped...

Wannabebig Member
    I wouldn't consistently keep your heart rate that high though. When you go above your anaerobic threshold (AT), which Iím guessing is a lot lower than 190 you go from burning primarily fat to using primarily carbohydrates for energy.

Banned
    Obviously it varies with fitness level, but quick and dirty estimate of your maximum geart rate is 220 - your age. A heart rate of 70-80% of this rate is consider "Aerobic activity" and a rate of 80-90% is considered "anaerobic".

I have a pretty damn high heart rate (including resting). Typically, even with lower intensity cardio I probably sit around 150-160. Probably means I'll die at 50, which to my mind is not a bad thing.

Once when doing HIIT (and using yohimbine and ephedrine simultaneously--not a great idea, btw) my heart rate hit 220 bpm. Not fun.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell