Thread: My shoulder is really bothering me

My shoulder is really bothering me

My shoulder has been annoying me for a couple months now. At first it was pretty mild. I started lifting lighter weights on anything shoulder-intensive, I took off about 6 days, I've tried rotator crap, and it is now really bothering me. I woke up so many times last night because my shoulder was in a slightly bad position and it hurt enough to cause me to wake up.

I'd describe it as a very sharp pain whenever I turn it the wrong way, especially if I am trying to push something heavy. It's a pretty dull pain whenever I am just sitting around and don't have i in just the right position.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I really can't afford to go to a doctor unless I think that's the absolute only option.

What motion causes the pain? I have the same thing caused by catching the snatch before letting it down. Gym does not allow dropping of the weights.

It sounds like you abused the shoulder and it is coming back for revenge. I use sport message but they cost allot of coin too.

I would keep at the rotator cuff exercise. Light with tones of reps.

What rotator cuff exercises are you doing?

This sounds like something similar to a shoulder problem I had about 2 years ago. It cost me 6+ months of anything close to real chest/shoulder work. It started the same way... just annoying at first... and for a long time too. Then, real pain. It hurt when I slept in a bad position, and sometimes it would just hurt when I was sitting/standing in a natural relaxed position.

Does it hurt when you press, but not so much when you raise your arm to the side (like a lateral raise)? That's how it was for me. I could do lateral raises just fine, but any kind of overhead pressing caused pain, and flat benching, while not as bad as overhead pressing, also hurt.

No matter what your answers are, STOP WORKING OUT. I mean, do legs if it doesn't hurt, same with back/bis/tris (as long as there is no pain at all) but avoid everything that even slightly causes any discomfort to your shoulder. I was stupid and tried to work through it. All that accomplished was a much longer time to heal.

I actually re-injured the same shoulder when it was finally better, and I realized what was causing the problem... dips. Haven't done them since and I've had no problems.

6 days off isn't much. You may need 6 weeks. That might sound terrible, but I would have much rather not done any direct shoulder/chest work for 6 weeks than have tried to work through it and gotten no where (except making it worse) for 6 months.
    Last edited by unstop; 01-22-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    My shoulder has been annoying me for a couple months now. At first it was pretty mild. I started lifting lighter weights on anything shoulder-intensive, I took off about 6 days, I've tried rotator crap, and it is now really bothering me. I woke up so many times last night because my shoulder was in a slightly bad position and it hurt enough to cause me to wake up.

I'd describe it as a very sharp pain whenever I turn it the wrong way, especially if I am trying to push something heavy. It's a pretty dull pain whenever I am just sitting around and don't have i in just the right position.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I really can't afford to go to a doctor unless I think that's the absolute only option.
    The bolded statement immediately made me think of two of my past injuries. I fractured my right shoulder about 5 years ago. The pain from just letting my arm hang in a natural position was almost non existent, but when I positioned it at a certain angle there would be a very sharp pain. I also had a minor separation to my left shoulder a few months after, the pain in both injuries was very similar. Does the pain feel like its a muscle or a bone? It's possible you could have chipped a bone in your shoulder socket area.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

As far as what causes pain, when I'm simply pushing a lot of weight, it hurts whenever I do some kind of pressing motion in a bench plane, or whenever I push down, like when doing crossovers.

But, what hurts a lot more is when I am laying down and my right shoulder is "anti-elevated." Then, when I do front raises through a long range of motion or when I bend my elbow at 90 degrees and move my arm from outside to my stomach area, it really hurts. Whenever I'm laying down and my shoulder is below the rest of my body, it has a dull pain.

The second "exercise" is below. If I lay flat on my back and then do that exercise, I get a really sharp pain in my right shoulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i had the same type of problem off and on. thankfully it hasn't come back for a while. you might wanna go check out a sports med doctor or see your regular doctor and get a referral for a physical therapist. your insurance should handle it and it's much better to make sure nothing is actually injured than to try and fix it yourself.

I personally think it is a pinched nerve or should I say in my case. Same thing though over head.

To really flare it up I press behind the neck. lol Sucker for punishment.

I know what caused it and know it is in the joint. Message works. One wrong move and it may come back.

I am not doctor just a crazed lifter with no patients for pain.