The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Strength and Hypertrophy Training

Week 1: 3x12
    Week 2: 3x10
    Week 3: 3x8
    Week 4: 4x6
    Week 5: 5x5
    Week 6: 6x4

* Will do these reps on all lifts.
    * Will repeat the cycle after you finish the 6th week.

Lower
    Upper
    off
    Lower
    Upper
    off
    off

Upper Day 1:
    - Bench Press
    - Close Grip Bench
    - Military Press (standing)
    - Pendlay Row

Lower Day 1:
    - Deadlift
    - Front Squat Squat
    - Goodmorning
    - Barbell Shrugs

Upper Day 2:
    - DB Bench
    - Incline Bench
    - Plate Raise
    - Pull-Up w/ weight

Lower Day 2:
    - Squats
    - SLDL
    - Reverse Hyper/or Dimel Deadlifts
    - Dumbell Shrugs

Rest Periods- 45-120seconds between sets.

** The movements listed above are 'must' do to keep you not only strong but also make you grow.

** Isolation and da pumpz is teh suck. That means avoid isolation at all cost and you'll grow.

** It lacks some push/pull.. however its just a basic outline dont murder the exercise selection. If you want to throw in some more pull work in the upper days go for it. However leave the low days as is.

** The reps and sets outline is the bread and butter of the program. That means if you mess with that the less effective it will be. Yeah it hurts doing doing 36 reps on squats w/ 120 seconds rest between sets.

** For the be all end all answer to hypertrophy and how to gain it:
    Heavier load (Tension/Break down of tissue) + Short Rest (Metabolic Response)= Hypertrophy

So next time somebody says you dont need strength to get big.. punch them repeatedly in the face.

Here are some journals and pictures of guys who have used it:

IPA's Journal of Hypertrophy 2.0

Mr. X 225lbs

Mr. X 225lbs Picture II

I'll dig up some more stuff if you guys want.

Kc
    Last edited by FortifiedIron; 12-11-2005 at 02:06 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This routine is a really good one. I used a variation of it after a 6 week layoff from training and after the first 6 week wave of it i was nearly back to my previous level of strength and put on a few pounds of lbm even though I wasn't actively trying to gain mass.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

I'm pretty much doing a variation of this routine right now.

It works.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I have one minor issue: way more pushing than pulling. I believe this was raised on FI as well?

Well like I mention in the first post on this thread you can tailor it how you want. When I put this program together I put out the best movements I felt would keep you strong and make you grow.

Kc

haha, I missed the line where you mention it. I like the overall routine though.

here is Lyle McDonalds comments in regards to the push/pull on the program:

Acknowledging that DL does work midback statically, I usually stick with one pulling exercise for each pulling movement, preferably in a similar plane. So you end up with pairings of

flat bench/row
    incline bench or shoulder press/pulldown

so
    Upper Day 1:
    - Bench Press
    - Close Grip Bench
    - Military Press (standing)
    - Pendlay Row

Might become
    bench press
    row
    mil press
    pulldown

And
    Upper Day 2:
    - DB Bench
    - Narrow Grip Incline
    - Plate Raise
    - Pull-Up w/ weight

Becomes
    incline bench
    pull up w/weight
    db bench
    another row

Or even replace incline bench with shoulder press as the first movement.

There's an additional symmetry in that you are emphasizing different places at each upper body workout. So you hit horizontal plane (flat bench/row) first on day 1 and vertical plane (incline or press/pullup) first on day 2.
    Kc

Quote Originally Posted by FortifiedIron
    Well like I mention in the first post on this thread you can tailor it how you want. When I put this program together I put out the best movements I felt would keep you strong and make you grow.
    Then you definately need more pulling. Pulling muscles are much larger than the pushing muscles.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I likey.
    I'm assuming that throughout the cycle the last rep should really be the last POSSIBLE rep that you can muster?
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Alright, I'm always confused.

is it reps x sets? or sets x reps?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Sets x reps. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

its sets x reps.

Kc

I like it alot. I will consider doing it in a couple months maybe.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

One more question:

Should we use a consistant weight?

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I'm just curious why shrugs are on the lower day.

Yes.. you want to do all sets with a working weight.

Kc

Consistant weight, as in the same weight for all sets.

Example: 315 for 3 sets of 12... or 325 for 12, 315 for 12, 305 for 12 (for instance)

?

Example 1. 3x12 is working sets. That means all working sets are the same weight.

Kc

This routine is for bulkers mainly, right?
    What if you complete 6 weeks and you might be cutting before another 6 week cycle is up?

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    This routine is for bulkers mainly, right?
    What if you complete 6 weeks and you might be cutting before another 6 week cycle is up?
    It doesn't matter whether you're cutting or bulking. Keep it the same.

Yep ^
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

I just started your program today and I gained 20lbs!

Lol nice

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    I just started your program today and I gained 20lbs!
    lmao, it must be teh magic formula!
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

the routine i have planned for next semesters like that.. good info on how many sets and reps though.. although dL and squats on the same day are crazy, for me at least. .anyway to put them on seperate days?
    Last edited by tigo; 12-14-2005 at 01:32 AM.
    I don't have time. I make time.