The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hmm, I like to be big!!!

Serious Problem Please Don't laugh- WoW Addiction

I have two friends who are very addicted to this game. They literally go to class, eat, sleep, and play WoW. They're good students, so they haven't ruined their lives, but other than that all they do is play WoW. It's very sad they're both 21 and spending the prime time of their lives.

Perhaps most damning of all is the game is ridiculous. all they do is hit one or two buttons and watch the screen.

I looked it up and apparently there are only two video game addiction centers in the world. Also, this seems like a pretty extreme measure considering they still go to school and do VERY well (As in both top ten students at a good engineering school).

I was thinking of hiring them a prostitute or something, or perhaps some sort of intervention.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Definitely not the ideal lifestyle to the majority of people, but I really don't see why it matters as long as it doesn't affect their grades in school.

If that's what they enjoy doing the most, then what's the big deal?

Have they admitted that they are addicted and want to stop playing?
    Last edited by Beast; 01-27-2007 at 09:13 AM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

like you said, get them a stripper to their rooms
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Bicster
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post

Perhaps most damning of all is the game is ridiculous. all they do is hit one or two buttons and watch the screen. I was thinking of hiring them a prostitute or something, or perhaps some sort of intervention.
    What makes it more ridiculous than the things you enjoy? I am sensing some type of jealousy. Do you wish you were doing better in school? Do you wish someone would buy you a hooker? Share with us.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    "Do you wish you were doing better in school?"

I'm number 1 in my graduating class.

"What makes it more ridiculous than the things you enjoy?"

I enjoy scientific research (an activity productive to society and my wallet), weightlifting (an activity productive to my health), going to clubs (an activity productive to my social life and if involves dancing my health), and volunteering.

I'm not saying they shouldn't play WoW. However, I think when it becomes the sole distraction in your life its kinda sad. Any attempt to get them to do anything else is doomed to failure. Even personally speaking, I would think it would be sad if any of those activities I enjoy completely dominated my life.

Also, if someone bought me a hooker and she was moderately attractive I'd probably screw her.
    Last edited by nejar462; 01-27-2007 at 10:07 AM.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

To each their own. If they are students they probably dont have a lot of $$$ to go out and club and all that jazz. If I was in college/uni or whatever and money is tight, why not play a game that is time consuming and you enjoy it?

If their grades are not in the ****ter, let them be. If they want to go out they will.
    My sig scared getfit.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    On a side note:

The game is very good, I recommend it to people who really enjoy video games.

Have they admitted that they are addicted and want to stop playing?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

WBB Member
    If it's not affecting their grades and they enjoy it, I don't see what the problem is. Different people have different ideas of what is fun or worthwhile.

Drop them as friends. Either they'll have to quit the game or quit you. Either way you can't be waiting around all the time for them to snap out of it and go hang out and party. Start finding some new friends.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

at least they're not addicted to drugs. they enjoy playing the game, let them be. They'll get tired of it eventually and come back around. My friends and I used to play SOCOM every single night pretty much. On Christmas Break one year, all we did was play PS2 games all day everyday, and we had a hell of a time doing it. kick it with some other people for a while, dont worry about them, cuz its obviously not affecting anything but their social lives, and they have to live with not gettin any booty, not you.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

As someone that was pretty much addicted to an online video game from like 7th-10th grade, I don't think it's a very ideal lifestyle. Whether they say it or not, they would probably enjoy doing something else.

Are they weird kids? Can they go to parties and not get the "Oh ****, tommy's here, LET'S GET HIM DRUNK!"?

It would probably be nice if you could help them out, but I don't know how easy it will be. They probably really are fixated on getting their level up or something, and even though they might want to get laid, they probably are nervous about feeling out of place in social situations.

Also, I think the hooker idea is a pretty bad approach in this case.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 01-27-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    like you said, get them a stripper to their rooms
    Strippers are a known cure for wow addiction.

I played WoW for a month, and I can see how people can get addicted. The bottom line is that you have to realize it's just a game, and there's a big world out there with lots of other stuff to do.

They'll come around eventually.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Yeah I sometimes think people forget that in real life you have a lot of the same themes as in these MMORPG. You can sit with your character on a raid and gain exp in "Conjuring" or whatever, or you can go to the library and learn something new or go play a sport and get better at that skill, etc. What's cool too is that the rewards are actually real instead of "virtual".
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

True, but you can't use magic in real life.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

WBB Member
    Plus in real life you may never become a "level 100" bodybuilder, athlete, etc.

Genetics have a way of interfering with things

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    That's sad I have an account I dont even have time to play alot.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Well I used to play EverQuest back in the day and I would pay a lot of money to have that year of my social life back.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Guys,

This has been going on for 2 years. I don't think they're going to come around in a month or so. They seem more or less normal, I mean I go to a tech school, so you get a lot of really weird nerdy kids. I can have a normal conversation with one of them, and the other is a nice enough guy.

Whats most damning of all about WoW is I know people who are on crack who don't lead lives quite as sad as these two.

Yep +1 for crack.

I'm gonna have to try that **** some time.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Its not a problem, maybe for them its either

A) something to do

B) something they WANT to do

Take myself for example.

Ever since the good ole days of the 8 bit NES and the big cartridge games for it I've probably played some type of video game for an average of 15 total hours per week. Sometimes a lot more and sometimes a lot less.

I don't know their particular stories, but if you don't then have an open mind about what I'm about to say and about the very reality of them being in much the same scenario.

As a young young kid my mother was VERY protective of my brother and I. Not allowed outside before noon and back in before dark all the way up until I was about 15 or 16. We lived in a trailer park with no other kids our age, so there wasn't a whole lot to do. Couple that fact in with my younger brother getting into ANY kind of trouble he could and got into a lot of trouble with neighbors. My mothers fix was that we weren't allowed to leave our 30' by 15' yard for any reason. No one in the yard and we weren't allowed out.

IF my brother and I could get along for long enough to do ANYTHING, it lasted 1-2 hours before some type of argument/fight broke out.

In school everyone pretty much formed their "groups" and each "group" had its associtated friends and I wasn't involved with any one group. Now comes high school in which you were either

A) Rich

B) A Jock

C) Smart

D) A druggie

I was 100% NOT A or D and a weird mix of both B and C. I talked to some football players, 2 or 3 on a regular basis and some smart people again 2 or 3 on a regular basis. I only ever talked to about 10 people during highschool, with about 3 of the being on a more then once per week basis.

So as you can imagine every day after school I did nothing. Thats where video games filled in. I'd pile hundreds and hundreds of hours into games from back in about 3rd grade the whole way up through high school. Around 7th grade I began to get heavy into computers, both gaming and the hard/soft ware techie ends of the deal. It became normal to me, I never questioned it. I lived like that for over 10 years, so I was almost confused anytime anyone tried to make something of the fact.

And now pretty much my only friend is trying to do the same thing your trying to do with these two kids. He's trying to convince me that I'm unhappy and that I need to get out and do something. He's convincing me that I "NEED" a girlfriend and he basically thinks my life needs to be exactly like his to fix my "unhappyness".

But when I'm at home playing my video games or reading a tech site or just kicken back and relaxing, I'm in my comfort zone. The same they are when they are playing WoW.

Think of your comfort zone, the daily activities you've grown use to and enjoy. Then think of how you'd feel if you were ask to radically alter them. I'm 99% sure you'd be just as reluctant to leave your "comfort zone", wherever that may be for you.

There is no right or wrong idea of "normal" and "irregular". Some people think it completely absurd to work 40 hours a week for 60 years behind some jerk off boss and and the end of those 60 years you get kicked in the ass and to reward all your hard work you have to live check to check barely making ends meet on your retirement (unless your lucky enough to have a good enough job where you can stockpile a handsome retirement). Those same people might not think it absurd to break the law to get by, doing what they need to do to make it. Other try like hell to live just that type of life described in this paragraph.

This sounds like you think they have a problem. Do they have a problem or do you have a problem with their lifestyle choices? Although this could be a good call on your part. More often then not people do nothing to solve problems even after realizing they exist.

Wannabebig Member
    I have a friend who only lifts and plays WoW. There is nothing really you can do, lets face the facts they will never have a social life. My friend's life consist of going to school, lifting, playing wow for like 5-6 hours a day. I'm not even exagerrating one little bit, swear to god. It's pathetic but at least hes lifting, then again he has no social life. And I don't know if protistutes is a good idea, they're already addicted to WoW , I don't think they need crabs too.
    Last edited by Josh21; 01-27-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Some people just don't need or want a social life
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Try to get them to dig on a girl, Girls>WoW if they like a a girl and you hang out with that girl they are ganna want to go. I'd say that's your only option.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built