The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weaker

Your Training Philosophies

Recently in the past month or two of my more serious training (after a year of neglecting legs, realising i had to eat to get bigger, etc.), i've been trying to read as many articles as possible to figure what all this is about. Whether, TBT or split routines would benefit you (or not structured routine at all), maximal effort, dynamic effort or repeated effort is the way to go, what excercises would be most beneficial for me and would rep and set ranges would also help. I personally don't really have a philosophy, yet.

I'd like to ask what everyones individual training philosophies are, in hope that i can gain a better understanding of which route to take (and it may benefit others), because although so far i've been doing what seems to be 'ok', i'd like to know what you are doing personally for results. I know it all comes down to genetics and diet, but i'm still interested.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Portboy; 01-27-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Very cool thread

i could sit here and write a very long 25 page response but ill keep it short.

putting on mass and strength in general i feel people fall quite short of what they are capable of. you need to train infrequently (3-4 times per week) and literally go all out each one of those sessions, also, they fall short on the diet. to maximize the gains you have to eat way over your maintainace, at least 1000 calories, most say you will get fat but i personally did not when i bulked up 30 lbs, not to mention over 150 lb increase in all 3 lifts.

people also stress to much over routines, and i am one of them, its very fun to start a new lifting routine and do it but it WILL get boring, so you will run out of ideas, however this is why to keep things fresh you should change up your exersizes as much as you can, IMO.

lastly, there is to much fuss over rep ranges for HYPERTROPHY, i always hear studies about 8-12 reps however this IMO is bullcrap. look at any strongman or powerlifter, they dont ALWAYS use 8-12 reps, they use a VARIETY of reps from 1 to 20+, this is how you need to train.
    2000 or bust

I see you put my quote in your sig.
    I looked at your stats.

How tall are you?

Your lifts aren't bad.

As far as my philosophy goes:
    For major lifts: Lift it till you can do it 12 times, then increase the weight by 20 lbs. (keeps your reps varied)

Then eat.
    It really isn't rocket science. People back in Greece hundreds of years ago got big without knowing half as much as we do now. Read articles about nutrition, and make sure your measurements are going up. Thats about it.
    Last edited by MeHoW; 01-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    5'6
    29.5 waist

Bench:240-250, somewhere in that area.
    Squat:315
    Deadlift:385-405

Goal: Lift more, Be Bigger and look Better.

Weaker
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHoW View Post
    I see you put my quote in your sig.
    I looked at your stats.

How tall are you?

Your lifts aren't bad.

As far as my philosophy goes:
    For major lifts: Lift it till you can do it 12 times, then increase the weight by 20 lbs. (keeps your reps varied)

Then eat.
    It really isn't rocket science. People back in Greece hundreds of years ago got big without knowing half as much as we do now. Read articles about nutrition, and make sure your measurements are going up. Thats about it.
    Looks like i'm the one with ya quote in me sig so i guess you're talking to me, and thanks! I'm about 5'8. Me squats are terrible though, i guess thats what i get for going a year without training legs
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Think about it this way, the lower you start the bigger your improvement would be. When I started lifting I was 172 fat, and I was squatting 185 for reps of 5. Now not even a year later I'm doing sets of 10 with 245.

Everything takes time.
    5'6
    29.5 waist

Bench:240-250, somewhere in that area.
    Squat:315
    Deadlift:385-405

Goal: Lift more, Be Bigger and look Better.

My philosophy on my training is to make no excuses. I need to get pissed off at the iron like it did me real wrong. I go in with a plan, think about what makes me the most angry and start warming up. This is no lie, I sometimes psyche myself up to the point of tears and butterflies in my stomach. I hate on the iron so I can love outside the gym. I will imagine my daughters well being hanging in the balance on if I can get the rep or not. It may sound like I have some screws loose but it is the mindset I need to clear my slate and start fresh. All the ones who F****d with me while I sat and did nothing will have karma come back to haunt them while I will prosper. I give all I got in what I do and I will get where I am suppost to be, no excuses.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    training. "everybody wanna get big and everybody wanna get strong and everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter but no body wanna lift no heavy ass weight"

pretty much just lift very heavy hard and intense...

diet, if the cave men couldnt eat it i dont eat it. except for the occasionalbeer or two or twenty on the weekends....lol

also protein and carbs fine, protein and fat fine, dont cross carbs and fat in the same meal. and im not a carb person, they make me tired, fat gives me energy.

that about sums it up
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

The best workout is the one that you'll do.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Fire and Wind come from the Sky, from the Gods of the Sky.
    But your God is Crom, and he lives in the Earth.
    Once Giants lived in the Earth, Conan,
    and in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom,
    and took from him the enigma of Steel.
    Crom was angered and the Earth shook,
    and Fire and Wind struck down these giants,
    and threw their bodies onto the waters.
    But in their rage,
    the Gods forgot the secret of Steel
    and left it on the battlefield.
    And we who found it, are just men,
    Not Gods, Not Giants, just men.
    The Secret of Steel had always carried with it a mystery,
    you must learn its secret Conan, you must learn its discipline,
    for no one, on one on this earth can you trust,
    not men, not women, not beasts,
    *lifts barbell*, this you can trust
    Last edited by Questor; 01-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.

1) Work hard when you're in the gym and don't obsess about things when you're not.
    2) Try to keep your workouts to around an hour or so
    3) Listen to your body if something hurts.
    4) Focus on basic, compound exercises.
    5) Work your whole body (I don't mean full-body workouts necessarily but those aren't bad)
    6) Get adequate rest.
    7) Eat to support your goals (increase things if you're looking to gain muscle, cut your calories if you're trying to lose weight).

Just get those things squared away before you start worrying about DE, ME, HST, Max-OT, or any other acronyms, and you can go pretty damn far.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

i also love getting pissed off before a big lift, ill pace the bar looking at it, breath hard, think of rotten stuff, attack it, lift, yell really loud, make the lift, swear, boom.
    2000 or bust

bone crusher
    squat till you puke! (something i have been doing quite a bit lately)

1. just because a routine doesn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you.

2. eat alot. lift alot. sleep alot.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

rofl questor
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

"Everyone wanna bodybuild, but no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I do though, yyyeeeeaaaa buuudddy!!!" This is the mentality I lift with haha

For diet, its simple - Eat clean

Your results are a direct reflection of what you put into your body, how much you sleep, and how hard you lift.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Train hard and be consistent in the process.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-27-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    The best workout is the one that you'll do.
    amen brother, thats my answer when anytime someone ask me what is the best routinefor something...
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Your results are a direct reflection of what you put into your body, how much you sleep, and how hard you lift.
    Nice and very true!
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Outstanding responses.

As far as philosophy goes, it's pretty simple: Consistently add weight to the bar, provide the nutrition you need to reach your goals, and adjust your lifestyle where needed.

Specifics all depend on the individual. What a beginner should do and what someone who has been training for 20 years and who has reached an elite level should do are not the same.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

hard work is the biggest key in training, if you dont feel like your ready to pass out after deadlifts, you didnt go hard enough, if you didnt wobble out of the gym after squats, you didnt go hard enough, if your upper body isnt ready to explode after bench, you didnt go hard enough.

you must add weight as much as you can and get those goals, strive for more, even if you missed a weight, add more the next week and get it anyways!!!
    2000 or bust

Weight lifting, be it powerlifting or bodybuilding/bodysculpting, is a scientific spance of information and mis-information. I treat any sport as something that has alot more than the face level, I like to think about everthing that goes on behind it - as well as along side it. Without doing research and learning all that we can, and need, we can never meet our potential.

As far as weightlifting for me goes, I like to learn. There is just so much to take in, and when I compete I plan to know everything I need to know - be it injury prevention with prehab, to pre competition diets or how to use my new bench shirt. I, we should all, pride ourselves on knowing enough to answer any question we come across - as well as knowing when we are supposed to listen and understand that we may be wrong.

Towards training I love all aspects of it. I understand I can train 6 days a week and see results, and I understand I can train 3 days a week and see results. I'll see results at differant tempos and I'll need to adjust my diet and rest accordingly, I'm prepared for either situation. I'm a powerlifter, I train fast - and I train heavy. I'm can be as built as I want, and I can get as ripped as I want training in this fashion. I enjoy it knowing I can compete, and I can become very strong without assistance (Or simply train more with assistance).

Diet I feel is always going to be the major role, even for sedentary individuals who have zero interest in training. I know how to manipulate my diet to affect my mind, body and general well being. I like the philosophy of eating only produce that grows and contains lots and lots of chlorophyll - or eats something that grows, or eats something that eats something that grows. I like low GI carbs but I don't believe one should completely base their diet on that particular scale, eat on how you feel - never let diet dictate your performance by sacrificing your macro nutrients. Eat more vegatable than fruit, use fruit for post work nutrition if you have no access to high quality dextrose.

Rest is overlooked. No one takes enough, period. It just happens that you fall ill, take holidays, have other plans, or just burn out before you even consider time off. Your body is much slower than you think, it is much more sensitive than most people can understand. The more we learn about that, the more we understand that our bodies need time away from the activities it is being built to do. The off season for sports is for growth and skills development, and there is allways rest and rehab .

Rehab, prehab, active recovery and dynamic stretching should be learnt before the word 'creakic' is even mentioned. I want to compete in the masters at some point, you want to be able to walk at a brisk pace when your over 60? Learn about it now, implement in your next session. Perform low impact cardio on a regular basis, as well as play casual sports. Keep on top of everything, and keep healthy.

bust your ass 3-4 times a week, nail your diet down, and get plenty of rest. that's all there is to it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Have a bloody good time every time!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.