Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you should squat deep

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I never said dont do ATF squats. I am responding to so many people swearing to only doing ATF, I dont agree.

Yes I think you could squat 240++ this is my point dont you see a strength benefit to the heavier load the body is enduring?

Unfortunatly a 240 partial to a 200 ATF is no where near the difference I am speaking about. I am talking about a 200lb difference which is 200 xtra lbs that the hole body is supporting thoughout the parallel squat range.
    Same w/ my point about board work that lockout strength has to be measureable added output performance.
    To only train full range is missing out IMO.
    Well that was a nice side step if your a pl then you know their are quite a few that can squat parallel 600 and up whereas ATF Style with these weights not anywhere near as many.
    Guido if you dont mind how much can you squat ATF,Parallel?
    Parallel is in my signature. ATF is not much less, I've done 385 ATF and that was several months back, so probably more like 395-400 now. Both of those are without a suit (belt only on the ATF, belt and wraps on parallel max).

I'm sure you know that yes there a lot of guys that can squat 600, but take equipment out of the equation and that number is a lot less. There aren't many raw guys doing 600 lbs that are under 250 lbs, to parallel or ATF!

I'm also agreeing with you that ATF squats should not be the only part of the equation. Partial rep work has it's place, for sure.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    Show me a **** load of ATF squatters that are doing 600-1000lbs good luck finding them, however I can find plethora of parallel squatters doing just that.
    Open your eyes and training techniques to maximize your potential.
    Thats all I'm saying

Stay Strong!
    yes the parallel squaters are moving more weight, but id bet the atf squatters are just as strong. parallel squatting is for powerlifters imo
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

big mike
    i dont consider myself a casual lifter at all, i just need to go heavy and i dont feel i should do it without a spot. with the bench i go parrallel and feel safe at the same time. i only use it if i go beyond 315. so would it do more good to go beyond parrallel with lighter weight or to the bench at higher weight?
    Last edited by mredn1; 01-30-2007 at 08:29 AM.

I've read several times that there are two basic ways that people respond to range of motion in exercise:

Type G
    Type S

Type G people's muscles respond in a general way. When they train with a limited range of motion, they tend to grow strong throughout the entire range.

Type S people's muscles respond more specificially. When they train with a limited range of motion, a strength test shows a dramatic drop off of strength outside of the trained range of motion.

Of course, treat this as a continuum; some will be at one extreme end, others will fall somewhere in between.

So when it comes to cutting out some ROM, perhaps some people can benefit by loading up the weight rather going through a full range. However, I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

Way to go on the mechanics drawing explanation, but it's wrong.
    5'6
    29.5 waist

Bench:240-250, somewhere in that area.
    Squat:315
    Deadlift:385-405

Goal: Lift more, Be Bigger and look Better.