The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56
  1. #26
    Banned must_eat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    295
    Yeah, I agree guys. I was viewing the "Members pictures area" and my mom walked in the room while I was looking at some pics and of course she thought I was gay because later on, she had my dad "have a talk" with me, where he said it's o.k. to "be myself" I told him what do you mean? And he said well, your mother has caught you looking at male porno?

    Well then i had to explain that i was ONA FORUM and that's what people do is take pictures and post them, so they still are thinking that im "not right"

  2. #27
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours View Post
    Why is it that I cannot seem to surround myself with people who understand the lifestyle of bodybuilding? Why do most of the people I deal with everyday have to be so ignorant about this topic, and assume things that are untrue.
    Some examples that I'm sure some of you can relate to:

    What you do: What they assume
    -You use the word "bodybuilding" to describe what you do: You are automatically a dumb meathead.
    -You admire pictures of bodybuilders, and get a sense of inspiration by looking at them: Your either bi-sexual, gay, or are hiding something.
    -When you tell them for ex, Frank Zane's physique is amazing: You get a strange look and are asked, "Why would you ever want to look like that, it's disgusting"
    -You fill out your shirt and your arms stretch the sleeves: Your most likely on steroids and everyone should know about it. Steroids are for people with small penises.
    -You eat properly and try to avoid drinking every single weekend: You get some sort of sarcastic remark that has to do with muscles.
    -Someone see's progress pictures that you've taken and which you happen to be proud of: You're vain, or full of yourself.
    -Your enjoying one of your protein shakes, or home made bulking shakes: "Must be his steroids in the cup or something"
    -Someone finally seems interested in your lifestyle, and the first thing they ask is, "How much can you bench??"
    -You work out 5 days a week: Your automatically self concience about yourself and need to work out to feel good"


    It seems as if everyone has a comment to make. I only wish I could find people in my area with the same interests and understanding of this lifestyle. It really doesn't help motivate me to have these types of people around on a regular basis. And it's not only my friends, but the people whom I associate with at school, work and places I go to have a good time etc.

    And that, is my rant lol
    I'm with you man. Recently alot of my family and friend have been really negative about my lifting. My mother even tried to convince me how unhealthy it was and that I was eating to much protein etc. I also get comments like "you're gay, you have no life or you're a juicer".......I dont really have anything to say back I usually just mess with whoever says it back.

    Use it as fuel for your next workout. Other then that, most people are probably jealous since they'll look like crap this summer while you'll look amazing.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  3. #28
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    I think I'm gonna start telling people I juice just for the hell of it.

    Hey its the answer they want. Why not give it to em? Apparently anyone who's concerned about themselves is a juicer.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 01-29-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  4. #29
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I think I'm gonna start telling people I juice just for the hell of it.

    Hey its the answer they want. Why not give it to em? Apparently anyone who's concerned about themselves is a juicer.
    Why bother? If you really want to make someone feel like an ass, in a pleasant tone of voice, question them as to why they believe what they're saying, and then ask for evidence to prove their accusations. When they can't, they'll shut up.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  5. #30
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Why bother? If you really want to make someone feel like an ass, in a pleasant tone of voice, question them as to why they believe what they're saying, and then ask for evidence to prove their accusations. When they can't, they'll shut up.
    Its mostly even a waste of breath to do that.....I've tried to explain to my parents many times why I do what I do. My father is convinced that I'm overweight because of the extra protein I'm eating and my mother is convinced that weight lifting is comparable to smoking as far as being bad for your health. Its usually a mute argument....I try to talk and they listen but don't hear. You know?
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  6. #31
    Senior Member betastas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    Yeah, I agree guys. I was viewing the "Members pictures area" and my mom walked in the room while I was looking at some pics and of course she thought I was gay because later on, she had my dad "have a talk" with me, where he said it's o.k. to "be myself" I told him what do you mean? And he said well, your mother has caught you looking at male porno?

    Well then i had to explain that i was ONA FORUM and that's what people do is take pictures and post them, so they still are thinking that im "not right"
    Looks like you need them to catch you checking out chicks on the internet now. Maybe you should bookmark a few pages just to get the message through.

  7. #32
    Squat slowly improving :)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    0
    I have close friends who know i lift weights a lot, and even they're all like "Oh, well yeah you're stronger than me, but you cheat" because i take protein. That pisses me off more than anything else i hear. That and the whole creatine = gear crap that kids at school say..
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

  8. #33
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Its mostly even a waste of breath to do that.....I've tried to explain to my parents many times why I do what I do. My father is convinced that I'm overweight because of the extra protein I'm eating and my mother is convinced that weight lifting is comparable to smoking as far as being bad for your health. Its usually a mute argument....I try to talk and they listen but don't hear. You know?
    You missed the ENTIRE point of my post. It's not your fault, it's a basic human flaw.

    Keep your mouth shut and let them dig their own holes. The only thing you say is "why?" or "I'd like you to show me the research that suggests what you're saying". If you force people to back up their bull****, they usually can't.

    One of the basic needs is for someone to listen. All they want is to bitch and moan to get that feeling of importance. It makes people feel good to attempt to force something on "the uninformed", whether the percieved Philistine is or isn't actually informed.

    It's obvious that you talking isn't doing any good, might either be time to shut up and deal with it or try another approach. After all, isn't psychosis popularly defined as repeating a behavior with the belief that the next result will be different?
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  9. #34
    Banned must_eat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    295
    Looks like you need them to catch you checking out chicks on the internet now. Maybe you should bookmark a few pages just to get the message through.
    Well the reason why they belivev that is because i just broke up with my gf like three weeks ago and now they think this.
    Last edited by must_eat; 01-29-2007 at 08:11 PM.

  10. #35
    Squat slowly improving :)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    0
    hire a stripper to come home and act like your girlfriend. either way, you win
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

  11. #36
    THUNDER THIGHS! Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,794
    The one great think Ive learnt in my long 14 years on this planet.

    **** everyone else.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

    My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

    Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago.
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours View Post
    -Someone finally seems interested in your lifestyle, and the first thing they ask is, "How much can you bench??"


    Consider yourself lucky.. People here judge how strong you are by how much you curl >_>... Your bicep size is all that is important to them.. sigh...
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 01-29-2007 at 09:12 PM.

  13. #38
    Bear Grylls Jr. stallion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn/Geneseo
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    The one great think Ive learnt in my long 14 years on this planet.

    **** everyone else.
    I hope you rethink that think you learnt because "everyone else" isn't going anywhere. In the long run it will be more benificial to ignore certain people when necessary and not just shut yourself off from everyone else.

    I could be wrong though--they say wisdom peaks right around puberty, so you just might have the right attitude here.

  14. #39
    T.J.W. nhlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    Yeah, I agree guys. I was viewing the "Members pictures area" and my mom walked in the room while I was looking at some pics and of course she thought I was gay because later on, she had my dad "have a talk" with me, where he said it's o.k. to "be myself" I told him what do you mean? And he said well, your mother has caught you looking at male porno?

    Well then i had to explain that i was ONA FORUM and that's what people do is take pictures and post them, so they still are thinking that im "not right"
    hahaha

    At 175ish pounds, I do not have a problem with people telling me I'm "too large", "bulky", or "unnatural". After a year or two of hard training, I could see it being an issue.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

  15. #40
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,405
    just keep lifting man

    when they say that ****, flex a bit andmake ur pecs dancea bit



    then take there girlfriend home and bang her


    seems to solve alot of problems...
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  16. #41
    Squat slowly improving :)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    Consider yourself lucky.. People here judge how strong you are by how much you curl >_>... Your bicep size is all that is important to them.. sigh...
    That's how it is here too. Although most of the football players who don't know **** about real lifting are still stuck on the bench topic. I still love all the morons who think "Oh, i run, i don't need a leg day" and all the curl jockeys who wonder why their arms don't get bigger when they do 20 sets of curls every day
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

  17. #42
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    just keep lifting man

    when they say that ****, flex a bit andmake ur pecs dancea bit



    then take there girlfriend home and bang her


    seems to solve alot of problems...
    What problems would those be? Reinforcing the stereotype that all weightlifters are brainless, oversexed, egotistical pricks? Great advice.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  18. #43
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    What problems would those be? Reinforcing the stereotype that all weightlifters are brainless, oversexed, egotistical pricks? Great advice.
    Wait a tic? I'm big, dumb and root alot... Your onto me!

  19. #44
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    68
    I havent had any of these problems (probably b/c Im not that big yet), but my dad loves that I am doing it...and a lot of my friends have told me that they want to bulk up like I have, but are too lazy.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    I think a lot of it is down to your attitude too. I try to be helpful and not argumentative when people ask me questions. I dont like it when people say things like "protein is bad for you", "deadlifts will put out your back" etc but I just ignore it. It's pointless trying to argue with them or trying to put them down. I just don't understand why people feel the need to make these comments. I mean I wouldn't go up to a random person and tell them not to smoke or drink, even though they are far worse for you than lifting and using a protein supplement!

    At the end of the day I still look better, feel better and perform better than anyone else at my workplace. Slowly people are realising this and starting to come to me for advice. That's fine by me.

  21. #46
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    714
    haha just as I thought, I'm not the only one who gets ticked off from these things..
    I actually had my buddy's gf say to me the other night, "What is that your drinking? It must be your steroids in a cup".. I just didnt say anything. Must be because her bf's a toothpick and wobbles when he walks.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  22. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    I hate the "how much do you bench?" question. I don't bench a lot, but I bench more than my bodyweight you fat ****. A lot of people seem to miss this "relative strength" thing.
    Also, I don't like telling people I lift weights because I'm not a big dude. When people start talking about it though, I'll give them advice. And when it comes up, I'll mention that I've gained almost 20 lbs. That gets some respect, but most people think that gaining weight is easy - losing it is tough! Well, guess what, both require dedication and patience.

  23. #48
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Missiles Go View Post
    I could be wrong though--they say wisdom peaks right around puberty, so you just might have the right attitude here.
    Whaaaa???? Who says this? LOL!

  24. #49
    THUNDER THIGHS! Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,794
    Hahaha... Ok I didnt mean everyone else... just the obvious people.

    Ive realsied rather then trying to please everyone and be everyones friend, Im gonna be loyal to my real friends who respect me and my activities.

    The rest of the little undersized pubesless ****s can stay how they are.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

    My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

    Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

  25. #50
    Bear Grylls Jr. stallion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn/Geneseo
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Whaaaa???? Who says this? LOL!
    Sarcasm, homeslice.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 12:52 AM
  2. Valentino denies Synthol use...
    By Workhorse in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 05:39 AM
  3. Hopefully this doesn't spark a debate
    By Saturday Fever in forum General Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 10:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •