Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ignorance of People

The Ignorance of People

Why is it that I cannot seem to surround myself with people who understand the lifestyle of bodybuilding? Why do most of the people I deal with everyday have to be so ignorant about this topic, and assume things that are untrue.
    Some examples that I'm sure some of you can relate to:

What you do: What they assume
    -You use the word "bodybuilding" to describe what you do: You are automatically a dumb meathead.
    -You admire pictures of bodybuilders, and get a sense of inspiration by looking at them: Your either bi-sexual, gay, or are hiding something.
    -When you tell them for ex, Frank Zane's physique is amazing: You get a strange look and are asked, "Why would you ever want to look like that, it's disgusting"
    -You fill out your shirt and your arms stretch the sleeves: Your most likely on steroids and everyone should know about it. Steroids are for people with small penises.
    -You eat properly and try to avoid drinking every single weekend: You get some sort of sarcastic remark that has to do with muscles.
    -Someone see's progress pictures that you've taken and which you happen to be proud of: You're vain, or full of yourself.
    -Your enjoying one of your protein shakes, or home made bulking shakes: "Must be his steroids in the cup or something"
    -Someone finally seems interested in your lifestyle, and the first thing they ask is, "How much can you bench??"
    -You work out 5 days a week: Your automatically self concience about yourself and need to work out to feel good"

It seems as if everyone has a comment to make. I only wish I could find people in my area with the same interests and understanding of this lifestyle. It really doesn't help motivate me to have these types of people around on a regular basis. And it's not only my friends, but the people whom I associate with at school, work and places I go to have a good time etc.

And that, is my rant lol
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Get rid of those people in your life. You need people that will encourage you to do your best and don't care if you admire those others that are better than you. Most likely they're really jealous that they're probably a fat slob and they don't give a rat's ass about their health. Worry about yourself, don't talk to the people around you about lifting and tell them go go **** themselves if they don't like it. My family gives me **** about it all the time and then I tell them to look at one another and tell me who is in better shape than me. At work I told everyone that I take horse tranquilizers and miracle grow. That shut everyone up.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Half the time, I don't think people actually believe what they are saying. They are just saying it because they are intimidated by you.
    I'm being serious here, too. You will see a guy who doesn't work out walking in the mall or down a sidewalk, and a big huge guy walks past, the little guy makes way for him because he is so intimidated. Then when the bigguy gets out of earshot, you will hear him make snide comments like some that you posted above (small penor, must be vain, prolly juices) or something like, I bet he's as dumb as a box of rocks. Ape is all brawn and no brains. etc. etc.
    It's intimidation and envy.

You're a minority in today's society. Ask any minority if they have an easy time of things. The majority will always try and get you to conform because that's how they became a majority in the first place.

What makes it even worse is that you have to WORK to be that minority. That's completely uncomprehendable and no different than mr 500 piercings.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 01-29-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Banned
    Well one thing. If you wanna avoid the gay comments when your staring at some inspirational shots of bodybuilders in their posing trunks don't view these in public or get some friends that know what your all about. If I didn't know anything about bodybuilding and saw a dude looking at a guy in a pair of posing trunks I might think something was up too.

Unless your Ruhl, Warrens or Coleman's sizes you shouldn't really be wearing T-shirts that you 'strech the arms out on'. Sure we could all throw on Larges and walk around like we are tough ****. But wearing a size that fits you comfortably don't make your physique any less impressive. If you wanna walk around with it exposed then expect some haters man.

Finally I don't know about you. But I lift 5 times a week and I am VERY self concious about myself and the way I look.

Bodybuilding competitive or otherwise comes with its burdens. Learn to deal.

Very true post. The steriotypes and ignorance is everywhere. As far as the gay comments...when I was in line to get a coffee the other day I found myself staring at the cover of a fitness magazine because the guy had the 'ideal' build but he was wearing short shorts and I caught myself worrying what people were probably saying to themselves about me haha.

Quote Originally Posted by blazedprodigy View Post
    Unless your Ruhl, Warrens or Coleman's sizes you shouldn't really be wearing T-shirts that you 'strech the arms out on'. Sure we could all throw on Larges and walk around like we are tough ****. But wearing a size that fits you comfortably don't make your physique any less impressive. If you wanna walk around with it exposed then expect some haters man.
    I'm going to disagree with you here. I have 16" arms and a rather good physique. I look fat / "too huge" in anything larger then a large T shirt. The majority of my shirts are medium or large due to the fact that any larger size is FAR to baggy in the midsection

i see a new thread dealing with this subject every week. the majority of the population isn't into training and doesn't understand it. get over it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    BTW RBB the weight room is back up at Gold's, and its fairly decent, they set the racks back in a corner where its queiter and the more.

On TOPIC:

the only thing I have issues with is when people spout off common stereotypes of working out...the whole running makes you lose weight and all the other stuff. We all hate it but it seems the more I learn the more I'm annoyed at peoples misconceptions..many of which I held until I learned more. Knowledge is a treasure and a curse... just gotta deal.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat View Post
    BTW RBB the weight room is back up at Gold's, and its fairly decent, they set the racks back in a corner where its queiter and the more.
    sounds good, i'm tired of going to manassas. i'll check it out tonight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Theres a ton of people like this and its annoying, tell them to go F themselves and go back to burger king (although i love BK, still)

My friends are actually very supportive and the females actually ask me a ton of questions and are very interested. I dont tell them im a bodybuilder but a powerlifter.
    2000 or bust

1) If you show people the postitives of physical culture, they might just join you.
    2) Most people are turned off by 'bodybuilding' because of the vanity aspect. They have a valid issue with that. 'Bodybuilding' isn't necessarily healthy, doesn't necessarily make you strong. So if you aren't competing as a bodybuilder, don't call it that, call it training.
    3) Who cares if someone thinks you're gay. Most gay people are pretty cool.
    4) If all else fails, remove the negative people from your life.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Only 6% of the population in the US gets more than 30 minutes of exercise daily.

Maybe they are just jealous?

Meh, its more fun being a powerlifter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you here. I have 16" arms and a rather good physique. I look fat / "too huge" in anything larger then a large T shirt. The majority of my shirts are medium or large due to the fact that any larger size is FAR to baggy in the midsection
    The following is not meant to offend you: The fact that you have 16" arms dosen't mean much. Put some meat on that back and chest and I know that 'too big' shirt will tighten up. I'm not trying to attack you personally here but you wear amerbercrombie/holister/American Eagle don't you?

And thats good to have confidence in yourself.

1. Criticism of others is how some people make themselves feel important.
    2. Stereotypes all have some bit of truth to them.
    3. People fear what they don't understand and those that live outside the mainstream.

Don't bother to argue with those cretins. Don't offer information, don't bring it up, but if they ask a question, give only the information requested. It's easier than getting pissed off.

If they try to give you "advice" or something, just say "I'll consider that. Thanks for the input" and then file it under "D" for "dumbass".
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Part of it is people are just uneducated about the subject. I mean, not many people take the time too fully reaserch this stuff, and im sure we all have stereotypes about others... just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Don't bother to argue with those cretins. Don't offer information, don't bring it up, but if they ask a question, give only the information requested. It's easier than getting pissed off.
    QFT.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

It's natural to assume out of jealousy. I usually assume that 'jacked' people are juiceheads, even though a majority of them around here blatantly are and probably about 3% know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    I dont tell them im a bodybuilder but a powerlifter.
    Same. Works pretty well once they figure that you're doing it as a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by betastas View Post
    Same. Works pretty well once they figure that you're doing it as a sport.
    Heh, and everyone automatically does the Oly snatch movement and say 'Like that'?

I just say, something like that.

Yup, that's about how it works.
    Don't get much flak about it either.

I must be lucky cause most the people I meet tell me they wish they could do what I did. I always get questions about how to eat and how to workout and on and on and on. At my current job they call me the resident nutritionist. Which I think is dumb cause i really don't think I know a lot but I guess compared to what they know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I must be lucky cause most the people I meet tell me they wish they could do what I did. I always get questions about how to eat and how to workout and on and on and on. At my current job they call me the resident nutritionist. Which I think is dumb cause i really don't think I know a lot but I guess compared to what they know I do.
    I get that too, from friends, family, and coworkers, probably because they see me constantly thinning out and not doing a single minute of cardio.

I don't know everything, but thanks to the fine people here, I know a hell of a lot more than the average person, and that knowledge increases every day. Answering ignorant-ass questions from someone that really wants to learn is way better than ignorant-ass comments from people that just want to tell you what they think. **** them in the neck.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by blazedprodigy View Post
    Unless your a pro bodybuilder then you shouldn't be wearing tight T-shirts?

I think fashion is a totally different subject here, but I understand what your saying, if you advertise yourself this way, then learn to deal with some negative comments.

I think the OP is just stating the fact that it's astonishing everywhere around him either doesn't accept the lifestyle or just plain out feels the need to put him down. I get it all the time from every direction and it's just annoying to listen to. Yes we deal with it and accept it, it's just frustrating to hear. It would also make it easier if people were more supportive and involved instead of us being minority. I just wish we had more people around us that we could possibly hang out with on weekends or what not, instead of coming on here for the support and understanding.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal