Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does nobody believe the skinny guy?

Why does nobody believe the skinny guy?

Maybe someone can answer this one for me. A couple years or so ago I used to frequent this site multiple times a day. (note: back then I had my height and weight posted in my signature for people to see....this will come into play later) I gobbled up any piece of information from this site and other reliable sources that I could. Along the way i read about training body parts twice a week, but using less volume than if you trained each body part once a week. So I ran it by the members here in a post. I was ridiculed up and down, left and right by several members (both senior and new) that training body parts twice a week was over training and should never be done. That close mindedness drove me away from this site for a long time. Now that I have recently began reading posts again, I see that many many people swear by training body parts twice a week. So why did nobody believe the 5'10" 160lb skinny guy back then, but now i see many people are gobbling up the posts and comments from the much larger muscled members? I'm really not trying to be a dick, I am truly curious.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

What members are recommending two a weeks for the same bodyparts? The only bodyparts that I think they do that for are big muscle groups and that's a westside barbell thing. It's a maximum effort and dynamic effort day. One is for strength and one is for speed. Usually, though, most of our members recommend a three or four day split and a five day split if you want to work you legs twice in one week.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

you already answered your question. they are closed minded.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Right now I am hitting bodyparts 4 times a week and not coming even close to overtraining. Whatever members gave you **** obviously didnt understand your training needs. Plus WBB usually goes through stints where partiular splits are more popular than others.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Plus WBB usually goes through stints where partiular splits are more popular than others.

hahah thats actually really funny cuz its true

If you train as intense as you should to progress, then twice a week would be over training for the regular folks. I bet if I were to bench, squat and dead twice in the same week that I'd be hurting and making zero progress.

Everyone's different. What works great for you might be crapola for me. If I tried to follow Big Coreys intensity/volume I'd be severely over trained and it would hurt more then it would help. But its doing wonders for him.

To each his own you know.

I train Biceps 15 times a week. Thats right, I get in and do it 3 times on sunday. Yeeeaah!

But no, I do train 4 times a week and hit everything twice. Only way that works well for me.

The new WBB program targets all the major muscle groups twice a week.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    What members are recommending two a weeks for the same bodyparts? The only bodyparts that I think they do that for are big muscle groups and that's a westside barbell thing. It's a maximum effort and dynamic effort day. One is for strength and one is for speed. Usually, though, most of our members recommend a three or four day split and a five day split if you want to work you legs twice in one week.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Plenty of members here recommend a routine where you're hitting each muscle group twice a week, and that doesn't mean working your legs twice a week only if you have five days to work out.

It's called an upper/lower split. Two lower days, two upper days. Everything gets hit twice, and no, it isn't overtraining. And it isn't just for Westside either. A lot of people, including myself, believe that frequency is key for growth. An upper/lower split allows you to accomplish this without overtraining.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    If you train as intense as you should to progress, then twice a week would be over training for the regular folks. I bet if I were to bench, squat and dead twice in the same week that I'd be hurting and making zero progress.

Everyone's different. What works great for you might be crapola for me. If I tried to follow Big Coreys intensity/volume I'd be severely over trained and it would hurt more then it would help. But its doing wonders for him.

To each his own you know.
    I don't agree with this either. I know for a fact that there are a lot of people on this site doing Bill Starr's 5x5 routine right now. I talk to a lot of them over PM's. Bill Starr includes three squatting sessions and two benching sessions. I think any one could benefit from it, regardless of whether they're new to training, or fairly experienced. You, too, would probably see progress on it.

Hell, Korte's 3x3 has squats, deadlifts and bench three times a week, and there are guys here using that routine with great success too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Plenty of members here recommend a routine where you're hitting each muscle group twice a week, and that doesn't mean working your legs twice a week only if you have five days to work out.

It's called an upper/lower split. Two lower days, two upper days. Everything gets hit twice, and no, it isn't overtraining. And it isn't just for Westside either. A lot of people, including myself, believe that frequency is key for growth. An upper/lower split allows you to accomplish this without overtraining.
    More often than not when a member asks what routine to follow it is WBB1 or 2 or however many they have now.

I never said that it was overtraining. I'd like to know how hard you are hitting each muscle to hit your shoulders, chest, legs, abs, back, and arms HARD twice a week. How many reps and sets? What kind of weight, etc. What kind of improvements are you making?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I think the key point you're missing is that you don't need to hit each muscle HARD each time you train it. I've said time and time again that I don't believe in "rape your chest" days, etc. Frequency isn't about destroying a muscle multiple times a week.

When you're using only compound exercises, you don't need to do an exercise for each individual muscle. Let's say that on an upper day, for example, you did:

Bench Press: 5x5
    Pullups: 3x8
    Dips: 3x8
    Barbell Rows: 5x5

You're hitting your chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps, traps and back in this case, and doing so with only four exercises. Another benefit of doing it this way is that you're more or less fresh for each exercise and can actually go hard, compared to something like:

Bench Press
    Incline DB
    Dips

where your chest is more or less spent by the time you get to the third exercise (in this case, Dips). I just don't like training that way, and I don't see the point, when you could do two solid chest exercises one day of the week and then be able to do another one or two at full strength another day of the week.

It's true that some people may suggest WBB 1 when new people ask for a routine, but I think a lot of the time people are only doing that to "give back" to the site, so to speak. Members such as Anthony and Paul Stagg, who are both quite knowledgeable, usually recommend a full body routine.

I personally do a full body routine three times a week when things are busy (in Engineering that means pretty much all the time!) and an upper/lower split when I have more time. I'm not going to say my results are other-worldly, but I am quite happy with what I have accomplished. I posted pics a while ago of my progress for five months, and I've continued from there, so take that for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Tofer; 01-29-2007 at 10:57 PM.

I'm doing 3 full body sessions a week and it's going great.

Training a body part only once a week is a myth

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Could you please post a link to the thread you are referring to

Except when I was a teenager and reading a lot of crappy bodybuilding rags, I've always based my training around exercises and worked bodyparts 2-3x/week.

I'd like to see a link to that original thread you're talking about...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Big View Post
    ek. So I ran it by the members here in a post. I was ridiculed up and down, left and right by several members (both senior and new) that training body parts twice a week was over training and should never be done. .
    I third the request for a link. I was unable to find what you are talking about. Many people here train bodyparts twice a week and have done so for some time. Sure it wasn't some other site?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-30-2007 at 04:24 AM.

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo View Post
    I'm doing 3 full body sessions a week and it's going great.
    Me too. I was suggesting this years ago. If you heal well like I do, 3x the stimulis is better than 1.

I'll try to find the original post
    340/235/420

Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

This is the only other post I can find:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...407#post735407

You did post about being able to isolate different heads of the tricep, which is pretty much wrong. But other than that, I don't know what you are talking about.

Certainly the advice I give has changed over the years as I learned more.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    From a first glance it looks like way to much volume.

I don't think you presented it very well for criticism.

Also for alot of people, training like that is over training. I think you are making too big a deal out of this.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I would wager that nobody had a clue you were "the skinny guy". To think that people would bother looking at your stats first would be giving everyone else far too much credit. Not to mention vastly overstating your importance in the grand scheme of things.

This is the internet. Responses are often knee-jerk, and pile-ons are pretty much the natural order of things.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Don't listen to Belial, he is skinny so he doesn't know what he is talking about.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Me too. I was suggesting this years ago. If you heal well like I do, 3x the stimulis is better than 1.

Yeah. I don't go in and DESTROY every muscle group 3x a week.

I do 3 sets for chest, lats, deads, squats, arms.

Total workout is only 15 sets. That way I can do full body 3x a week and not overtrain.

The plan I'm using is Chad Waterburys Total Body Training

Paul: No, those aren't the ones. But in reading those I can't believe how naive i was in that one post with how many sets and exercises i posted....eeshh. The post I am talking about was just a twice a week per body part mostly with compound moves. Not destroying every muscle during each workout. I look for it after classes are over this evening.
    340/235/420

What's right for each person depends on their goals. Some people just looking to pack on muscle size can benefit from hitting muscle groups twice per week. Those looking to increase maximal strength (like me), would quickly burn ourselves out if we did that. So really there is nothing wrong with what you are saying depending on the end goal.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle