The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

A strange lifting problem

Hello Id like to introduce myself, I am Josh Cook from the UK. Ive been working on construction sites / farms for a number of year, which has inevitebly left me a good size. I am physically strong and has teamed up with my best friend to start working out, as we want to be huge. To be more precice we want big arms.

I supposed you get loads of newcomers like myself, but I have a problem trying to get my head round a certain something.

The famous Schwarzenegger quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie
    The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion. Thats what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go though the pain no matter what happens
    Now we've bought a training program which explains what this means, the whole muscle fibre tearing, and how critical the rest inbetween working out is. What we do is:

-10 Reps of around 10KG
    To warm up

-Then 6 - 8 at around 20 KG

-Then this is where we dont understand the whole "shredding" / "muscle fibre tearing"

We go up to around 30 KG and try for the "final reps." The ones that count.

But thats just it, we cant feel the pain, or the "shredding" feeling. After the workout we arnt in any physicl pain, or even the day after.

I have tried to be as honost as possible with weights, although it is slightly embarrasing

We have added more weights but with no avail, we just cant lift it, then when we take some off it doesnt "shred" as it were.

has anyone else had this problem, or more to the point, what can help us?

Is this common, not being able to find the shredding point, but not being too heavy?

Many thanks

Josh
    Last edited by JoshCook; 01-30-2007 at 02:35 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    in brief:

I cant find the last 3 reps, they are either too heavy or too light. I cant feel the "shredding"

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    not everyone gets sore. I always feel shredded because of how sore I am. But some on the board here dont get sore or hardly do. Maybe youre not doing enough weight if doing 8 is easy then its probably too light, add more weight. or youre just someone who doesnt get sore. List the whole routine if you can.

For example: If I were to do pink dumbells at 2lbs apiece and did 8-10 reps I doubt I'd feel shredded on bench press. however, if I did 110lb dumbells on bench press, I'd feel shredded.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 01-30-2007 at 03:53 PM.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I have never got a sore feeling doing bicep excercises, neither isolation or compound, but I recently added seated concentration curls to my routine and they really hurt (in a nice way) and I'm not talking about DOMS but instant pain there and then, it lasts for about 30 seconds. Perhaps you could give them a try.
    Look here;
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ationCurl.html
    Last edited by JConrad; 01-30-2007 at 07:10 PM.

DOMS is not an indicator of a good workout or that youre going to grow.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

If you want "the pain" go high reps. 15+ will give you what you want. But if you want to grow.. Ditch your program and do alot of reading around here.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I think he is meaning that pushing yourself to that other level (those last three reps) is what separates a good physique to an awesome physique. Being able to give a true 110% each and every session.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    I know the saying "muscles grow out of the gym" and I can really feel this, at the moment Im leaving it a week in between each hard workout, could I not do more than one workout a week or would anymore workout just ruin my previous workout?

I know what you mean, Josh. In the beginning, I felt like my biceps were not growing because they stopped getting sore after the first workout.

Do me a favor, stay on this site. Keep reading and asking questions. People on this site have definitely helped me. After only months on this site I'm chin-upping my 300 lb body, dipping well over my bodyweight, benching over my bodyweight and deadlifting WELL over my bodyweight. Now I'm focusing on dropping some weight and the only advice I look for is advice from everyone on this site.

Josh, in my particular work-out. I do 4 days a week, 3 resting. I'll tell you how my bicep work looks.

day 1: I have a few rowing exercises that indirectly hit biceps.
    day 2: I directly do bicep work.
    rest
    Day 3: I do pull-ups/chin-ups that indirectly work biceps.

Technically I'm hitting my biceps 3 times a week. So I don't expect to get sore at all anymore. Basically the same thing for my triceps too.
    Last edited by ViciousBish; 01-31-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    I know what you mean, Josh. In the beginning, I felt like my biceps were not growing because they stopped getting sore after the first workout.

Do me a favor, stay on this site. Keep reading and asking questions. People on this site have definitely helped me. After only months on this site I'm chin-upping my 300 lb body, dipping well over my bodyweight, benching over my bodyweight and deadlifting WELL over my bodyweight. Now I'm focusing on dropping some weight and the only advice I look for is advice from everyone on this site.
    Heh!

Yeah I think Ill stick around here, everone seems to know what they're doing!

Its just a case of getting into a cycle of workouts. The other thing is this, as Im only allowed to workout my arms once a week, (Arms/chest maybe are the only things I want bigger, initially) What do I do for the rest of the week, concentrate on other things? but like what? Im not intrested in anything cardio/dieting/legs, Just arms, other than bench presses, freeweights, dumbells, and the other arm / shoulder equiptment, is there anything else I should be doing?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    Josh, in my particular work-out. I do 4 days a week, 3 resting. I'll tell you how my bicep work looks.

day 1: I have a few rowing exercises that indirectly hit biceps.
    day 2: I directly do bicep work.
    rest
    Day 3: I do pull-ups/chin-ups that indirectly work biceps.

Technically I'm hitting my biceps 3 times a week. So I don't expect to get sore at all anymore. Basically the same thing for my triceps too.
    Thats a really good workout!

The program Im doing now is a two month one, and it concentrate on everything, but this workout youve just drawn up seems better!

Do you think I could add other things to that workout?

I hated legs before I joined this site. That's probably because I didn't realize how important they were. I suggest you work all muscles. Especially if you want to be decent in any sport or be athletic in general.

I would pick one of the routines this board recommends like WBB1 which is in the routine sticky thread at the top of the threads. Or BGB which you can find in Built's signature. Then I would not change anything at all about it. Do it for a couple months and see how you feel.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Wannabebig Member
    Height: about 5 - 4
    Weight: 12 1/2 STONE. I dont know what that is in lb's or KG's, sorry!

Day 1: Horizontal push pull, calves, and abs
    Thickness-Back: Deadlift 5x5
    Bent-over rows 3x8
    Hammer Rows 3x10-12
    Chest: Bench 5x5
    Incline dumbbell press 3x8
    Decline 3x10-12
    Calves: (soleus) 3x12-20 seated calf raises.
    Abs: 3x8-12, weighted

Day 2: Quad dominant, hamstring accessory. Biceps.
    Quads: Full squats 5x5
    Leg press 3x8
    Hamstrings: Leg curls 4 sets of 12-20
    Biceps: Seated alternating bicep curls 5x5
    Hammer curls 3x8-12

Day 3: Vertical push-pull, calves, abs
    Width-Back: Chins 5x5
    pull-downs 3x8
    Hammer high rows(or another variation of chin-up or pull-down.) 3x12
    Shoulders: Bent over side laterals3x10
    Military Press 5x5
    Standing side laterals 3x8
    Calves: (gastrocs) standing calf raises, 3x8-10
    Abs: 3 sets of 8-12, weighted

Day 4: Hamstring dominant, quad accessory. Triceps.
    Hamstrings/glutes: Romanian Deadlifts 5x5
    Good mornings 3x8
    Quads: Seated leg extensions 3x12-20
    Triceps: Dips 5x5
    Cable pressdowns 3x8-12

=======================================

That's what I do now.

I have a day off in between day 2 and day 3
    also 2 days off after day 4

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCook View Post
    Heh!

Yeah I think Ill stick around here, everone seems to know what they're doing!

Its just a case of getting into a cycle of workouts. The other thing is this, as Im only allowed to workout my arms once a week, (Arms/chest maybe are the only things I want bigger, initially) What do I do for the rest of the week, concentrate on other things? but like what? Im not intrested in anything cardio/dieting/legs, Just arms, other than bench presses, freeweights, dumbells, and the other arm / shoulder equiptment, is there anything else I should be doing?

The problem is, the body tends to grow as a unit. Its unnatural for select regions to specifically grow. Your body wants to resist that. Doing squats and deads also change your hormone levels during and a little after the workout. So really, you could just do squats and your upper body would grow. Obviously Im not implying to a degree of magnitude, but you get the point. Train the whole body if you want it to grow.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah cheers for the advice people!

and cheers ViciousBish, as you just put forward some great workout advice, and then RichMcGuire explained why!

Cheers people!

My last only real concern is protein shakes, whey, ect ect. If Im only working out like, the four days, What will the protein shakes have/ what will they do, will they be worth it?

well, you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you can get that by eating normal food, cheers. If you need more protein, take the protein shakes. I'm 210 lbs of lean body mass so I aim between 210 and 300 grams of protein. I take protein shakes because it's hard for me to get that much protein.