The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

Why Women shouldn't run

"Why (Most) Women Shouldn't Run
    Saturday, 13 January 2007
    Courtesy of "Core Performance"

The answer is a word that starts with P and ends with S and is not "plastics."
    By Michael Boyle
    I really like Diane Lee's quote, "You can't run to get fit, you need to be fit to run."
    In fact, I've used it in numerous presentations and articles. It really resonates with me. Simple, to the point.

I'm going to take the idea one step further. I'm not sure most women should run. When I say this in seminars, it really pisses off the female runners.
    Sorry, I'm not worried about you; I'm worried about all the other women. If you are a runner and healthy, read on, but realize that you are the exception, not the rule.

I'm going to go from bad to worse. Here's a riddle for you.

Q- What do most female runners look like?

A- Male runners.

Ever ask yourself why? I'm going to let you in on a little secret.
    Women who run successfully for long periods of time were made to run.
    They look just like men runners. Good female runners generally do not look like plus-size models.
    It's not a question of cause and effect; it's a question of natural selection.
    You can't run to get that cute little runner's body. It's actually reversed. You have to have that cute little runner's body to survive running.

Why do I say this? Two simple reasons.
    Anatomy and physics. My favorite two sciences.
    No matter how hard you try or how well you eat, you can't change your skeleton.

The problem with most women and running comes down to something they call Q angle in sportsmedicine. I won't bore you with the details, but it boils down to this.
    Wider hips make for narrow knees. This angle of hip to knee creates problems.
    Problems are magnified based on the number of steps.
    The average person gets about 1500 foot strikes per mile.
    Do the math on your 5-mile run. Running produces forces in the area of two to five times bodyweight per foot contact.
    Do we need more math?

Let's go back to our elite female runner. Look at her body. You will generally see two things.
    She has narrow hips and she has small breasts.
    I know, there may be exceptions, but at the elite level, I doubt it.

One thought process would say, Great, my hips and breasts will decrease in size if I run. The other thought process is more logical.

Women with larger breasts and wider hips don't make good runners. It is the same logic as why there are no large gymnasts or figure skaters. Physics. Big people rotate slower. Natural selection rules it out.

So what happens when a "normal" woman begins to run?
    She becomes a statistic. She becomes a physical-therapy client as she tries to shovel you-know-what against the tide.
    Her wider knees cause her to develop foot problems or most likely knee problems.
    Her greater body weight causes greater ground reaction forces.
    Greater ground reaction forces stress muscle tissue and breast tissue. Get my drift yet? The end result is likely to be hurt and saggy instead of the cute and little.

The bottom line: Running is not good for most females.
    If you want higher-intensity exercise, ride a stationary bike. Take a spin class, use a stairclimber, and don't run.

PS- The best stuff is the hard stuff. Use the AirDyne Bike or the StepMill. Don't take the easy way out."

Just curious on your guys/gal's thoughts as I value them more than the people from the forum I got it from

Discuss
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

very interesting. disproves a lot of beliefs in society today.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I agree completely. I can't count on both hands and feet the number of girls I know who've jacked themselves up "training for a marathon".

DJ

I thought the answer was going to be danger of black eyes from big boobs, a sad reflection on my mind.
    Age 33
    Height 6'4"
    Weight 220lbs

British by birth, English by the grace of God.

That's not a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

This is one of the best threads I have ever read. I will remember this the next time girls ask me about running. I never noticed the correlation with elite women runners and their hips/knees/breasts. But now I think you are right. The lady that just broke the 5000m run this past week by more than 5 seconds has all of these characteristics.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

I'm sure there is something to it. It makes sense, really. Running really isn't even the best exercise for many men, either.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle