Thread: Studies on meal timing/weight loss/weight gain, etc

Studies on meal timing/weight loss/weight gain, etc

Does anyone have studies, good articles, etc on the effects of meal timing, particularly amounts, with regards to weight loss/gain in general populations?

I don't have too much free time to go digging.

Apparently eating alot before bed is extremely bad for you (sarcasm) Oh, and fat makes you fat.

I typically try to keep my mouth shut in class, but I may have to go on the offensive against a particular professor. If it gets ugly I need ample ammunition, so hand it over
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-31-2007 at 11:27 AM.

I've seen studies posted here that indicated that it doesn't really matter how you time your meals when it comes to losing weight. What I mean by that is, if your daily cutting calories are set at 2000 cals, it doesn't matter if you eat 4 x 500 cals, or 1 x 2000.

Of course, when you consider practical issues, I think it makes more sense to spread the calories out for controlled hunger and other mental factors.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 01-31-2007 at 11:52 AM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Overall, the most important thing to know is the fact that if caloric intake exceeds expendature, the surplus calories will likely be stored as fat.

However, there are a few things to know about timing though.
    1) Calories consumed early in the day are more likely to be expended. Calories available at night when your body is has a low need for energy is more likely to be converted to stores for future use.
    2) Given that the overall intake of calories is the same, more meals is better. If someone eats one large meal per day as opposed to many small ones, their body assumes a mini circadian cycle of starvation mode. Large gaps or fluctuations in energy availability can set the body's systems into more efficient store of calories

Not to sound ungrateful, but I know the ins and outs of the material, theories, etc.

I just need some people to spoon feed me the evidence (links, etc) since I don't have too much time do it myself.

I'd rather slap a bunch of papers in the professors face rather than spend countless minutes trying to deabte with someone that has many more letters behind their name.

But, a little healthy conversation amongst ourselves never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-31-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Slim, I know you are a memeber at BR.com, you should pose the question there. I am sure Lyle would respond with a few refernces and studies.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    Slim, I know you are a memeber at BR.com, you should pose the question there. I am sure Lyle would respond with a few refernces and studies.
    hey! Who said that was me

PoutineEh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    here is a couple of his newsletters research reviews he gives:
    Cribb PJ and A Hayes. Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Nov;38(11):1918-25.

Weyer C et. al.Changes in energy metabolism in response to 48 h of overfeeding and fasting in Caucasians and Pima Indians. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 May;25(5):593-600.

Berthoud H. Homeostatic and non-homeostatic pathways involved in the control of food intake and energy balance. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006 Aug;14 Suppl 5:197S-200S.

Tipton KD et. al. Stimulation of Net Muscle Protein Synthesis by Whey Protein Ingestion Before and After Exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Aug 8; [Epub ahead of print] Link

i can forward the emails if you'd like.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Here is one:

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthre...meal+frequency

Do an advanced search

Terms: Meal Frequency
    User: Bradley

in Diet & Nutrition.

damn I miss that wise old skull

Here is my search but I'm not sure if it's linkable

http://wannabebigforums.com/search.php?searchid=933050
    Last edited by Holto; 01-31-2007 at 05:44 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Thanks so far everyone.

I will check these out.

I will admit to being somewhat search-lazy on this one.

The topic was just enough to get me pissed off in class, especially since my personal anecdotal evidence was "an exception to the rule" (whatever the **** the rule is) and the majority of the class agreed. ****ers.

That's ok, b/c then we practiced skin fold calipers and I had the lowest out of everyone.

Bitches.

lol

(the course is nutrition assessment methods and I was asked to answer one of the case study questions pertaining to eating the majority of calories late at night)

(the course is nutrition assessment methods and I was asked to answer one of the case study questions pertaining to eating the majority of calories late at night)
    I'm looking to see if I can come up with anything.

Answer to the above case study is: Calories can't tell time. We still need energy while we sleep. I know you know this. Why can't everybody understand this.

I guess we just need a bunch of fancy letters after our name...
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Question: I asked this to Mr. D and he gave a good reply, but I want to see different views.

I always thought if you took in carbs late night when the body never needed them - you would spill over to fat storages since the body didn't have much use for them. Even if you're not going over cals wouldn't they still store? I know the body needs energy throughout the night - but that much?

If you are below maintenance, it doesn't matter if you eat carbs before bed. They will be used because you ARE below maintenance. Used for your body's basic metabolic functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by emunah View Post
    If you are below maintenance, it doesn't matter if you eat carbs before bed. They will be used because you ARE below maintenance. Used for your body's basic metabolic functioning.
    So lets say you have 30g of carbs before bed, below maintenance. Will the body at such a state of rest, use all 30g?

Bicster
    No. Probably 18.75g

Don't overlook the body's capacity and abilty to store glycogen.

I had 315g carbs immediately before bed last night.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Slim my advice to you:

Treat your classmates like any bozo you bump into in the gym or just in daily life. Assume they will never be able to have a conversation with you on your level.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Slim - if the prof gives you any ****, just rip your shirt off in the middle of the debate, and tell the entire class what you just told us. That ought to shut 'em up.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    Slim my advice to you:

Treat your classmates like any bozo you bump into in the gym or just in daily life.
    So what you are saying, is that I need to start bringing dumbells to class to be used as weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by djreef View Post
    Slim - if the prof gives you any ****, just rip your shirt off in the middle of the debate, and tell the entire class what you just told us. That ought to shut 'em up.

DJ
    It would only be convincing if I had an "approved by the ADA" stamp branded into my chest.

(ADA = American Dietetic Association)
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 02-03-2007 at 02:16 PM.