The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do I squat butt to the ground or parallel?

Currently, I do full squats with 225 pounds reps of 10, hamstrings touching the calves, but I read a lot of magazines claiming it is better to squat just parallel because your knees cannot take the stress of the weights when you go all the way down, and than others say to get big legs you must squat all the way down. "Half squats equals half legs" - Tom Platz. Pesonally, I believe you should do ALL exercises full range of motion and in Physics: Work = Force * Distance.... therefore, if you squat all the way down you do more work than squatting half way. I noticed when I do half squats, I can go a lot heavier and it is hella easier, but I do not feel the lactic acid buildup in my quads and glutes afterwards like I do when I squat A$$ to the ground. Please give your comments on one of the most contradicting topics of training! Do I squat all the way down, or do I squat parallel?
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Canadian
    I perform all exercises through a full ROM and it seems logical to do the same for squats, but like you said every "expert" has their own opinion on the matter. I've squatted both to paralell and to the floor and can say that I prefer the latter.

I had bad knees before I started squatting (bad meaning the muscles around my knee cap were quite weak causing it to occasionally slide out of place and crack constantly.) I feel squating has strengthened my knee. They now rarely crack and do not slide out of place.
    Last edited by mds_79; 02-16-2002 at 02:50 PM.
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

decease, RIP
    When my hams touch my calfs im just below parallel.

Originally posted by big
    When my hams touch my calfs im just below parallel.
    Do your legs 'chafe' when you walk as well?

I go below parrallel, but I don't touch my ass to the floor...

Its really a matter of what you can do, i CANT go below parallel b/c i have horrible knees and and my body just wont do it.. I can barely get parallel but i kinda force that, hurts like a bitch though.. If you can get full ROM, go for it, if not dont..

Pocket Canuck
    I never used to go below parallel bacause I was unable to. Since then I have really worked on it with light weights and am able to do full ATF squats. Not as heavy mind u, but working my way back up nicely now

BTW, my knees have never felt better since I began doin full range of motion squats.

Go Deep
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

3:16
    if use the search it has some lenghty threads on it, that show its no real benefit to go below parrel.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I strongly believe going deep is beneficial. I just feel it more throughout my legs. Granted though usually when I go really heavy I can't go as deep as I would like. I would say parrallel at the least, but if you can, HIT EM DEEP!!
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Wannabebig Member
    Go ass to calves. If your body can handle it that is, many people's bodies just weren't made for the squat unfortunately. But it you can do it safely, ass to grass is the way to go.

Canadian
    Originally posted by body
    that show its no real benefit to go below parrel.
    I can't see why there would be no benefit. You're increasing the ROM motion considerably.
    Last edited by mds_79; 02-17-2002 at 11:04 AM.
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

3:16
    ROM is not as important as EROM (effective range of motion). its like benching not everyone goes down as far to get results as by going to far your shoulder take more of the weight than the chest will. This stop the chest being worked to hard. WIth the legs the quads will not be worked harder, while other muscle will stop firing as soon.

Search for the threads they go into it quite detailed ways.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Thanx for the advice guys, but i think i well keep doing full squats and i believe that full ROM works the best for all exercises.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

i do hams to calves.
    but my knees are fine.
    i find it works glutes as well whereas parrallel squat doesn't really. just my observation.