The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Liquid calories vs. solid calories

So I recently started a liquid diet (and have every aspect covered, fibers, macros, multivitamins etc) but my friend who is semi-knowledgable about bodybuilding says that your body does not use the calories you get from liquid as well as the ones you get from solid (he thinks 2000 solid calories is equal to about 2500 liquid calories). I can't find anything about thisonline but it seems ridiculous, can someone more knowledgable pleaes back me up on this?
    inspirational quote: anything muhammad ali ever said

shoulder rehabbing with a vengeance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by isosceles View Post
    So I recently started a liquid diet (and have every aspect covered, fibers, macros, multivitamins etc) but my friend who is semi-knowledgable about bodybuilding says that your body does not use the calories you get from liquid as well as the ones you get from solid (he thinks 2000 solid calories is equal to about 2500 liquid calories). I can't find anything about thisonline but it seems ridiculous, can someone more knowledgeable please back me up on this?
    Don't listen to this friend anymore.

What is your diet like? (just curious)

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Ok good thats what I was hoping to hear, it just did not make any sense to me, he was saying liquids can pass through your digestive system faster, not giving your body as much time to absorb the nutrients.

I drink 5 or 6 shakes a day consisting of
    8 oz milk
    1tbsp PB
    1 or 2 scoops of protein powder

about 400 calories, 35-40g of protein, 20g fat and 20g carb (if its one scoop)

and then some celery, occasionally whole wheat bread (i guess its not all liquid but i gota get the fiber until i pick up some pills with more fiber)

i also have a flinstones chewable multivitamin haha

when I stop cutting and start bulking again, I plan on adding a scoop of protein and another tbsp of PB to each shake.

bone crusher
    hmmm well hardly a "balanced diet" although if it is a temporary measure to lose weight then do as you must.

However, for health reasons I would not engage in that for very long

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    Ok good thats what I was hoping to hear, it just did not make any sense to me, he was saying liquids can pass through your digestive system faster, not giving your body as much time to absorb the nutrients.

I drink 5 or 6 shakes a day consisting of
    8 oz milk
    1tbsp PB
    1 or 2 scoops of protein powder

about 400 calories, 35-40g of protein, 20g fat and 20g carb (if its one scoop)

and then some celery, occasionally whole wheat bread (i guess its not all liquid but i gota get the fiber until i pick up some pills with more fiber)

i also have a flinstones chewable multivitamin haha

when I stop cutting and start bulking again, I plan on adding a scoop of protein and another tbsp of PB to each shake.
    Do flintsones vitamins have enough nutrients for adults, especially athletic/weight lifting adults? If so, I'm switching.

you prob have to take 5 pills at a time.

Liquids aren't bad.
    Not getting all the food groups, eating just 4 food types a day is bad.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I've just been taking one but I plan on going to get a different multivitamin, preferably an adult one that has 100% for everything lol...

Sorry but assuming I get the vitamins/minerals from the chewable vitamins I am taking, whywould I need to get all of the food groups? I've already got veggies dairy and fats... does the protein powder not suffice for the meat group? So all I need is fruits, the vitaminsof which come in my chewable, and breads, which I guess I have not accounted for.
    Last edited by isosceles; 02-02-2007 at 11:26 AM.

I would add some fish oil.

Alright so I went to the grocery store, and got some fish oil pills and flax seed oil pills. One serving of the fish is 2 pills, and the flax is one, so I'm takin three total a day. This isn't overkill is it?

you need a better vitamin for one, but honestly i woudnt't recomend a liquid diet at all. if your goal is to lose weight, there are plenty of healthier eating plans that will help you lose weight. is there any particular reason why you would want to go on a liquid diet, instead of a normal diet?

i would go on a normal diet man, the weight loss will be healthier; alot of weight loss you get form a liquid diet comes right back anyway
    :alcoholic

personally, i didnt do well with a psmf. i think i have to master long term dieting (which im attempting to do now) before i can take advantage of liquid diets. id possibly use a liquid diet to kick start a future moderate diet, but until then, im going to learn what works for me and what doesnt on a regular diet.

make sure you are thinking about long term and that you dont put on all the weight you loss during your liquid diet, and then some.

I have a fairly hectic schedule, so 3 or 4 of my "meals" end up having to be shakes anyway. Also, I'm a college student and it is way cheaper to get a good number of proteins and fats this way than to try and eat a balanced diet. What multivitamin would you all recommend? I was also considering centrum A to Z. I'm not too concerned about gaining back the weight in the form of fat, because I am VERY dedicated to this. I've even made a few wagers with people on various goals haha.

I have a fairly hectic schedule, so 3 or 4 of my "meals" end up having to be shakes anyway. Also, I'm a college student and it is way cheaper to get a good number of proteins and fats this way than to try and eat a balanced diet. What multivitamin would you all recommend? I was also considering centrum A to Z. I'm not too concerned about gaining back the weight in the form of fat, because I am VERY dedicated to this. I've even made a few wagers with people on various goals haha.
    Add some oats to those shakes and it gets even healthier.

Do you know what is in those protein powders that your relying on?

Everyone works, and alot of people get overwhelmed with trying to consume the right amounts of food during the day. I suggest starting to cook ahead of time, storing your meals in the fridge, and taking them with you in tupperwear. It may get costly, but you have options of buying meat in bulk, and vegetables arent expensive. Plus, it gets you in the habit of eating right.

As for your vitamin, go to a supplement store and get a multi-vitamin for active men.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

the reason people think liquid means less viable calories is because you digest it faster and thus get hunger pangs.. your belly ain't got diddly to fiddle with..

you can throw in a few greens, veggies, boiled eggs...