Thread: squatting after deadlift day

squatting after deadlift day

anyone else find that squatting the day after deadlifting is pretty tough? I feel like its a lot of work on my lower back. any thoughts?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    I do it and my lower back seems to do okay. Maybe a little sore but not bad. How's your squat form?
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

yeah that can be rough..I would take a rest day in between. You work your legs and back too much...imho

The way my routine (BGB) is set up I do DL's on day 4 then Squats on day 2. I would try to switch your days up so you don't have legs back to back. Just a suggestion.

I'm fairly new to squats (started doing them within the last 3-4 months) because of a real bad knee injury a couple years ago which made leg training pretty much impossible. Once I fully recovered I started squatting and I've been keeping the weight on the light side to make sure I perfect my form. So yeah I consider my form decent

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy56 View Post
    The way my routine (BGB) is set up I do DL's on day 4 then Squats on day 2. I would try to switch your days up so you don't have legs back to back. Just a suggestion.
    You're from boston so your oppinion doesn't count

haha j/k, I read you're sig, thought it was funny cause I'm from NY. Anyway, I decided I'm gonna switch to what you're doing and put deads later in the routine (I'm doing BGB as well). Thanks.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Scorpion32
    I Couldn't imagine doing it if I am lifting hard. If possible i would change one of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    You're from boston so your oppinion doesn't count

haha j/k, I read you're sig, thought it was funny cause I'm from NY. Anyway, I decided I'm gonna switch to what you're doing and put deads later in the routine (I'm doing BGB as well). Thanks.
    LMAO

That sig only has to stay for 2 more weeks...thanks to the Pats being upset by Indy

Yea switchin deads to day 4 and squats on day 2 should work out fine. You can even do day 1...2..off..3..4..off...off that way you have 4 days between deads and squats.

I do squats (same day) after DLs

Banned
    I tried doing squats, then deadlifts the same day, didnt like it to much cause i didnt have much left.
    now trying deadlifts one day then about 2-3 days rest and im not sure as i havent felt completly rested.

anyone else find that squatting the day after deadlifting is pretty tough?
    Deads are probably my single most favorite exercise, but I find it hard to put my pants on the day after doing deads if I've put my best effort into the workout. No way I'm up to doing squats without a day of rest in between.

anyone else find that squatting the day after deadlifting is pretty tough? I feel like its a lot of work on my lower back. any thoughts?
    Here's my thought: You'd have to be a fool to do squats the day after deads.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Here's my thought: You'd have to be a fool to do squats the day after deads.
    I was only doing this because BGB has rack pulls on day 1 and squats on day 2.

Yes, I know there is a difference between racks and deads, the routine suggests setting the pins to mid-shin, which is not much higher than just a bar with 45's lying on the ground.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Over time, especially if you're not feeling any pain now, your lower back will appreciate it if you squat and deadlift at least two days apart. When I was younger, I could go one day earlier, but as I've gotten older, if I squat on Monday, the soonest I can deadlift full-force is Thursday.

I was only doing this because BGB has rack pulls on day 1 and squats on day 2.

Yes, I know there is a difference between racks and deads, the routine suggests setting the pins to mid-shin, which is not much higher than just a bar with 45's lying on the ground.
    That's pretty low for rack pulls. I usually do them with the bar starting at knee level or just above. Doing them that way will involve the legs far less, leaving you much more able to do squat the next day.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Ive had no issues doing squats the day after I do deads. Its a valid argument for some people. This leads me to believe it depends on the individual. My legs are never sore from deads and they dont feel exhausted. And at the same time, I never feel my back when I do squats.

The only time I wouldnt have done this is my first time deadlifting after a month. The DOMS was too intense to get out of bed, lol. But that fades over time as well.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Squating after deads not smart, whether immediately or the next day. DLs and squats should be separated by at least 48 hours.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Intensity is EVERYTHING
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    Agreed.