Page 100 of 125 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Well written and fluent read indeed Vin!!

Good luck with the new outline and whatever you plan on in the future.

Wednesday 4/25/12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 minutes airdyne hiit
    Foam roll upper and lower
    Softball roll pecs/shoulders
    Contrast shower

I really like the 2 consecutive days of recovery work. Feeling good.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thursday 4/26/12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airdyne 20 minutes

That's it. I was going to say that after doing recovery work on Tues and Wed I don't need it on Thursday's anymore. However, this might just be a one week thing. So for this week I did not need a 3rd day, we'll see what next week brings. I'm always trying to learn.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Saw the radio show is getting another run. Always enjoy catching that one.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Hot Damn! I enjoyed that show!

Thanks guys, please help spread the word. I know we had a huge audience. It's going to take some work to build back up to it.

Friday 4/27/12

10 minute warmup
    -2 board bench pinkies on ring w/doubled monster mini bands 500/520/500/500x1 425x3
    -Incline Taint presses 60 5x12
    -Face pulls 70 3x15
    -Benched bar x100

-Iced pecs/shoulders

This was a very productive training session. I like when I learn while I train. Normally I would have shut a ME exercise down once I knew I was at my strength limit. However, it was only my second work set. So instead of bagging it, I dropped the weight a little to make sure I got 3 lifts within the 90% range.

Now, I also learned a little about my form. I have been doing a head lift while benching in the shirt. So it tagged along in my raw bench. I was not thrilled with my pressing so I took that 4th set so I could see what I and the guys thought about pressing with my head back. We all agreed keeping my head down keeps me in much better form.

When I finished the last set of ME I was plagued with the thought of being done pressing. I had some more in me. I talked to Brian about a pressing supplemental exercise. For my ME night I really planned on doing lower intensity extensor work. After a little thought I decided to just take a drop set with 85% on the ME exercise. This gave me a little more heavy work for the evening I was looking for. I felt sufficiently worked after hitting it.

On to my supplemental. I did incline Tate presses. I planned on 4 sets. I took the 60's and hit the 4 sets pretty well. The old Vincent would have stopped there. However, Vincent 2.0 (whatever the heck that is) knew he should do another set. On my 5th set one of the dumbells rammed into my cheek. Nothing bad, but that was a good indicator that my body had been worked. I do have to say these really aggravate my right pec/shoulder. I want to keep them in because they are such a great extensor movement. I will try them flat next time around and see how that works.

Did my face pulls and really conentrated on the movement. I kept a neutral grip and really focused on pulling my hands past my head and then spead the straps I was using out.

Finished with 100 reps of the bar on the bench. Trying to force a little blood into the pecs/shoulder for recovery. I call it prehab work.

Learning every day. Sweet!

nice pressing! It's always nice to have a good day! I like the barx100, I'll have to give it a shot today.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

Persistence Persistence. - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Saturday 4/28/12

Softball roll shoulders/pecs
    Warmup
    Bent over rows 225/245x8 275 4x8
    Band assisted wide grip pullups 2x10
    Band assisted neutral grip pullups 2x10
    Dumbell hammer curls concentrated 25 3x15
    Curl bar w/4 chains 3x10

Contrast shower
    Iced shoulders/pecs

Good session. However, I have to make sure my bicep work is all concentrated. I was swinging up some of the curl bar + chains and it definitely put a lot of stress on my shoulders. They ended up getting very sore. Plus I got a quick bout of tendonitis. If I am going to train 4 days in a row I have to pay close attention to my body.

Sunday 4/29/12

Rolled pec/shoulders with softball
    Warmup
    Physio ball crunches 3x15
    SSB seated gm's 3x15
    SSB box squat 410x3, 465/520x3
    Speed trap bar dl w/short mini 370 8x1

Started getting some interesting hip pain after the 465. I wondered whether I should take the 520. Glad to say I was unscathed. I ended up doing a triple instead of a single. It was a deal I made with myself so I would not have to finish up with my light squats later.

The weight finally started to feel a little heavy on the dl. This was my third day in a row training and the body is holding up thus far. Not quite sure whether I will deload squat and deadlift next week.

Monday 4/30/12

Rolled pecs with softball
    Rolled back with foam roller
    Warmup
    DE bench using 3 grips 285+4 chains 9x3
    Close grip pin presses 405/430x5, 455x7
    Plate raises 45 3x12
    Bar pushups 2x25

Iced pecs 20 minutes
    Contrast shower

Great session. I'm pausing the DE work and really dialing form. I'm choosing all my movements for purpose and am focusing on quality of work over quantitiy.

Tuesday 5/1/12

Airdyne 20 minutes
    Iced pecs/shoulders
    Contrast shower

OK, training 4 days in a row definitely beats the heck out of me. However, I felt very accomplished Monday being done. It's almost like I get a small holiday every week. Hopefully the recovery work will take and I'll feel better tomorrow like last week. We'll see.

Give it a couple weeks with the 4 days and see how you feel after that maybe?

Might take your body a bit of time to adjust to the 4 days

Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Give it a couple weeks with the 4 days and see how you feel after that maybe?

Might take your body a bit of time to adjust to the 4 days

Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep
    Feeling great by the second day of recovery now. I really think I'm going to like this. I just have to continue to be thoughtful about exercises. A poor choice in exercise can definitely mess with the next day's training. So far so good. Also, seems like I can pack away more food during my training consecutive training days without putting on extra lbs.

Wednesday 5/2/12

Airdyne 20 minutes

Body is feeling great. I am really digging two days off of training in a row. If this is anything like last week my body will feel even better tomorrow. So far 4 days of training followed by 3 days of conditioning/recovery is paying off. I can't wait to see what lifting it yields on Friday.

No doubt this routine would be working to your advantage, glad you are digging it.

Thursday 5/3/12

Feeling excellent and weight is good so I decided to take the day off. This would normally be a conditioning/recovery day in my new program. Instead I went to get the oil changed in Jess' vehicle. I went to my buddy's shop. While hanging out I saw one of his employees had a softball on his work bench. So I grabbed it and rolled out my pecs and shoulers. So it wasn't really a day off afterall.

Friday 5/4/12

Upper and lower warmup

Incline bench w/pinkies on rings 135/225/315x3 405/495/530/500x1
    Dead benches 430 6x1 w/45 second rest between sets
    Rolling dbl tri ext 50 2x15, 55x15, 60x15
    Overhead reverse barbell shrugs 135 3x15
    Bar bench 1x100
    Iced pecs/shoulders 20 minutes

There was a lot going on this session. First and foremost I hit a pr on the incline with pinkies on the ring. I put this lift in the rotation because inclines have been a part of every training cycle where I have hit 600 raw. Last time I pr'd this lift was 2/11 with 525 and I weighed 301. This time around I hit the 530 at 283. Yeah, I'm pumped!

Next were "Dead benches." Josh Bryant recommended I do these. I respect him as a lifter and coach so I asked him to look at my program. Without changing much he wanted me to add this lift in. I did 430 for six singles with 45 seconds rest. Man did these suck. It's such a terrible position to start from--I guess that's the point of them. The exercise sucking only worsened with the minimal rest time between lifts.

Moved onto rolling dbl tri ext. Finished those and worked them hard. I raised weight and slowed the tempo to increase difficulty. After that I got fancy with some overhead barbell reverse shrugs. I do them with just my arms as a warmup and with a light daily stretch I do. Not sure I like them weighted for work sets though.

Last thing I want to report is that I ate only around 20 grams of carbs total during the day going into this session. This is important for me to note because after making weight I have not followed my backloading protocol going into meet day. I just load carbs after weighing in all the way until the meet. If I am strong in training without carbs I will be strong in the meet without carbs. Got to compete like I play. So I am training at 280-283 instead of 285-288. This way it will be less of a cut and I'll have less worry about getting the weight back up.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-05-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Saturday 5/5/12

Light stretch
    Foam roll back

One arm dbl rows 110/120/130 x 10
    Fat bar pulldowns to belly 150 3x12
    Band assisted underhand pullups 3x8
    Single arm cable concentraion curls 3x10
    Barbell reverse wrist curls 135 2x15

Iced pecs/shoulders 20 minutes
    Contrast shower
    Damn, my shoulders are all banged up from those stupid overhead barbell reverse shrugs I did Friday night. Not sure if it's an injury or muscular pain from working an area that never really gets worked. Either way, that exercise is out. The only experimenting I will do from now on is with my wife.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Sunday 5/6/12

Light upper stretch
    Lower warmup

SSB squat 265/335/365x5
    Trap bar dl 315/365/405x5

Jump rope tabata 2 minutes

Was not certain whether I would deload squats and deadlifts after my first three week wave. With my shoulders being all jacked up from a ill chosen exercise on Friday I thought the deload was in order. Had minimal rest periods and finished up quickly.

I felt like I needed to just a little more so I grabbed my timer and jump rope for some tabata. I was in my stupid vibrams so my shins and feet were taking a beating. I planned on going four minutes, but my legs just couldn't take it. I don't think my heart and lungs were happy either. I look forward to throwing those in and getting up to 4 minutes. Even though I'll probably get yelled at for jumping rope like I got yelled at for running. Maybe I'll just stick to horizontal aerobics.

Monday 5/7/12

Upper and lower warmup

DE bench 285 w/4 chains + doulbed mini bands using 3 different grips 9x3
    Floor press close grip 315/365/365x5
    One arm dubmell ohp 50 3x10
    Med ball pushups 1x10 - abort
    Band flies 2x50

Contrast shower

Dang speed was on the heavier side today. I gave a quick pause to each rep. I have been doing that on all my DE days. I think with the bands and chains the total weight equaled 285 + bands and chains I was pretty spent after that. When I did floor I made sure to pause each rep and slow the tempo. I wanted to make the weight feel heavy without getting too heavy. I have no spot and am outside of the rack so I have to be careful with exercise. With the ohp I just wanted it over. I was spent. Went to do some med ball pushups to finish, but they started to wreck my shoulders. Instead I just finished up with 100 reps of band flies. My chest was so pumped afterwards I couldn't even reach my hands to my armpits to get soap in there. Thank goodness for loofah's on a stick.

This was the second or third week of training four days in a row. Man I am happy when it's done. No I get three days of recovery.

Tuesday 5/8/12

Airdyne 20 minutes

Had to take Harley to the vet. Little girl's arthritis is acting up. Putting her on adequan. I hope she shares some with her papa.

I feel beat up to death from the four days of consecutive training. Did not get to perform recovery work due to the vet visit, the EliteFTS twitter chat, and the Just Big show last night. I'll have to do extra tomorrow.

Speaking of the show, Mark Bell was great. Makes me want to get out to supertraining one day. Hope we get him on again. If you missed the show you can catch it on www.ftns.co , they are getting the downloads up not long after the show finishes.

Wednesday 5/9/12

Airdyne 20 minutes
    Softball roll pecs and shoulders

Thursday 5/10/12

20 minute leisurely walk
    3 minutes stretching

My body is feeling very good with the small exception of some residual shoulder irritation from last Friday's overhead rev shrugs. I kind of wanted to see how my body reacted to a little less recovery work. If the three days in a row rest is enough to foster the recovery I need, then I may not need to hammer recovery as much. It's kind of the reward for punishing myself for four days in a row of training. This is of course subject to change on a week to week basis. I am learning just because something is so one week it does not mean it will be the same the following week.

I have a number in my head for tonight's ME exercise. When I hit this it will be further proof to me that my previous block program provided an excellent foundation for success.

My weight is right at 283. This is exactly where I was last Friday. I pack in lots of cals through backloading Friday thru Monday which put me back up to 286. I followed that up with two days of low carbs (around 40 net grams). I load a little on Thursday evening to prepare for Friday's ME. Glad this has been working out. I hope to be around 280-281 by the end of May and then I'll just hold steady there.

Vin, had to stop in and apologize for not listening to you a long time ago. You asked me almost a YEAR ago where the recovery steps were after a workout. It took me till now to realize how important it is. I've recently started stretching, icing, DMSO, Blue Heat, and contrast showers. It's amazing how much better I feel. Little by little I feel my body coming back and it's easier to keep pushing. The first few times were an absolute chore but like you said, the end result makes all the time you put into it well worth it. So thanks again!

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw