Page 105 of 125 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Nice job Vincent. It actually looked like an interesting meet from the video. And that was a real close attempt with 900 at the end.

If you were to hold this kind of meet again, I wonder if allowing smaller jumps when there is only 2 people left would make for a better finish or not, instead of both classes being won on lighter bodyweight.

Regardless, that does look like it could be an interesting format for the public to watch at one of the big conventions like the Arnold.
    If it gets in the Arnold, we have to remember, there's only a finite amount of time. What if 6 guys tie. The most important thing is that the crowd saw a lot of lifts made. We will be batting around ideas. Thanks a lot April.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the shot out in your log Vincent. I appreciate you keeping this on here and elite. There is so much to learn from reading logs like yours, Matt Rhodes, Travis Bell, Tone's, Brian Hoppers, Brandon Lilly, as well as other members who aren't as well known. As I said to you, the lactose free milk idea for re-hydrating was money.
    You are a class act! Sorry we did not have more time to chat. Keep up the great work yourself.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Tuesday

Sled drag 50 lbs on grass 30 yards per trip
    chest press
    forward drag
    rows
    backward drag
    tri ext
    side drag
    curls
    side drag
    face pulls
    backward drag

Back in the saddle. I really wanted to do some work on Monday, but I felt like a bag of smashed sphincters. Tuesday I did not feel much better, but knew I had to get moving. Had a big branch down in my yard from a storm and other yard work to do. Did that first and then dragged. My wife watched from the window and actually felt bad for me. If I looked half as miserable as I felt, it must have been awful to see.

For me doing the work when I don't want to is like mental training. When I force myself to do things when I don't want to, I know I am getting stronger. It's like when I am hungry during my daily morning fast, when I'm hungry, I know my nutritional plan is working.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-02-2012 at 07:01 AM.

I completely forgot about the bench competition. Too much crap going on at home. Awesome Job Vinny! Sounds like an awesome event and I really, really hope to see that format repeated in the future.

the meet actually left me completely anxious to get back to training but holy cow, I am so freaking sore now lol. Might have jumped the gun a little. Plus I've been in the woods all week cutting firewood for winter.

I. am. stupid.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Well Trav, you are going to hate to hear about my Wednesday

Wednesday - recovery
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hr deep tissue
    Whirlpool
    Steam room
    Cold shower

Spent a bunch of hours at the MGM Spa in CT. I really needed it after competing twice in two weeks. I see Heather there and I highly recommend her. The only reason I ever think I'd like to be rich is so that I could hire her as my personal masseuse. Although, she's kind of like a Sour Patch kid. She really beats me up and then she's nice to me.

haha! You're right. I'm envious of that.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Friday 8/3/12 - ME Bench, I learned something tonight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynamic warmup
    2 board bench w/doubled light bands, comp grip 140/230/280/320x3 370/410/450/500/500x1
    Swiss bar incline 305 3x8, 1x6 * medium tempo
    Wide grip pullups assisted w/2 light bands 1x10 w/1 light band x5, x3, x2, x1
    Flat Tate presses 50 3x15 * medium tempo
    Dbl preacher curl 25 3x10

Wow, without looking at my log I bet this is the first full training session I have had in about 4-5 weeks. Between peaking and then doing two comps, it's just been a while since I have completely punished my upper body. Damn, I'm really out of training condition, but I got through. I actually got a bit faint and had to take a knee. I downded a little of my post workout grape juice and felt better. I got a little faint again at the end of the session, my post workout carbs took care of that quickly though.

Alright, so you'll notice some asterisks in my training. I put these in there because Brian has been working with me on RPE and tempo for a while. I kind of gotten it, but the whole thing seemed a little vague until last night. My training really has only one speed - explosion. We worked on tempo during a block phase and it completely screwed up my bench form. So I more or less shied away from it.

So we have introduced a second pressing exercise into ME work. Now all I want to do is to keep pumping weight up. After my first set of three plates on the incline with the swiss bar I wanted to go up. Brian requested I slow the tempo and make the next set harder instead of stacking on more weight. I listened because I know I have added weight in the past and have gassed out quickly.

Doing the second set I had that lightbulb above me head feeling happen. I get it. I can make the weight feel as heavy as I need to. In addition, if I only do this sometimes on assistance and supplementary work, it should not screw with my bench form. If anything, it's going to teach me how to grind weight better which is my weak point.

Saturday 8/4/12 - ME Lower

Full body foam roll
    Light band standing gm's 3x15
    SSB free squats 115/155/205/245/295x5 -added belt 335/385x5 -added knee sleeves 425x5
    Side steps w/dbls 20 3x15
    GHR assisted w/physio ball 3x8
    Planks 3x35 seconds

My lower body is weak. I have fooled myelf to think that just because I can squat over 600 w/the ssb using a box for depth or pull over 700 on a trap bar, that I am strong. All this proves is that I am good at two movements. I have stagnated my lower body strength for too long. It's time for a change.

I will be changing exercises each week of my 4 week mesocycle, deload, and then repeat. I will be using 5 rep maxes instead of singles. This will lessen the chance of injury. I must always keep in mind the purpose of my training is to get stronger for the bench.

I can tell I have a lot of weak links in my lower body. My hips and groin are pretty unstable in free squats. I think part of it is that I always used a box for depth when squatting. I usually did not sit on it, but I used it for depth. So when I squatted I anticpated the box. I think I kept tighter as a result. Finding the bottom was a much different feel this week.

I probably had another set in me, but I really need to build up a good one or two complete training cycles before I push it. There is no sense in injuring myself, which I usually do. Like it is often said, getting stronger is more of a marathon than a sprint.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.

its awesome having elite level lifters post on here and the efs site. Ive been following your logs ever since I have found EFS as im a bit of big bench fan.

gotta say vincent, i've learned alot, just a little shout out to say keep the ramblings after training coming really. Good reading for the newer younger guys like myself!
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Train smarter, not harder.

Sunday

Treadmill, 20 minutes LISS

It's been a while since I got on the treadmill. It's a must do for both my conditioning and recovery. I can tell my layoff has affected my breathing. I fought many years to get off asthma medication, as I have been a lifelong asthmatic. When I condition regularly my breathing is excellent.

Monday - DE Bench

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup

Speed bench w/3 grips 290x3, 290 w/dbld micro bands, 290 w/dbld mini bands
    3 board press comp grip w/dbld light bands - medium tempo 315 2x5, 1x6
    Bent over rows - medium tempo 4x10
    Dbl v scap raises 20 3x15
    Curls w/ez bar - medium temp 3x10

This was a great first DE day back. I was really beat up, but the weights felt a lot more comfortable than I thought they would. Because lockout was the deciding factor on missing my last 600 I am performing my speed more deliberately. I am making sure my form is correct. Tucking elbows and making a good transition to flaring and locking the weight instead of heaving.

Still getting down with my tempo thing. Just making lighter weights feel heavier and keeping better form. Feeling sufficently worked.

Oh yeah, I'm so psyched I figured out how to do boards solo in the basement. I took one of my weight vests and stripped the weights out. I just stuffed the boards under the vest and tightened the velcro straps on the vest. It was perfect. Gotta be creative when you are training alone.

Tuesday - Lower/conditioning

Dynamic warmup
    Sled drag on grass, 30 yard trips 50 lbsx2, 85x2, 120x2, 155x2

I was showing Jess a dynamic warmup so she could do sprints. I had about 20 movements for her to choose from. Yeah, I almost passed out after 6. The sacifices I make as a trainer/husband.

The sled drag felt good. Adding plates was a good way to go. By the last two laps my legs were a little all over the place. I felt some muscles working that I don't normally feel. That's the goal

Wednesday

Went and spent the day with Rhodes. He's working at U of Albany now with the stength and conditioning program. Gotta say, it's a perfect fit for him. Ahtletes want to listen and he has a lot to offer. All of the coaches and staff he works with seemed really cool. I look forward to going up and training there one day for kicks.

The visit also took place during Giants training camp. Now, I cannot say I am a true Giants fan, they are a bit of an adopted team. I am a Cowboys fan. I know what you are all thinking, how can a person be a Cowboys and Giants fan. Well, my brother was a big fan of the Giants. After he passed, I found myself rooting for them. It's just how it is now.

Anyway, my father in law's brother is really close with the Mara's who own the Giants. When he heard I was going he wanted to hook me up. It was very nice of them to score me a VIP pass. Rhodes actually had the same passes for us. We all know Rhodes is serious VIP material. Well Rhodes, Brian, his son Ryder, and I start walking past the friends and family VIP bleachers. It looked a little tight, so we chose to pass. We get close to the ten yard line and you are not supposed to go past there. Rhodes works his magic and next thing you know we are standing behind the end zone by ourselves.

After a short stint there, some various Giants staff are speaking to us. A guy with some pretty good clout says "You must bench a lot." Music to my ears. So we chatted it up for a bit. Rhodes is talking to someone else. Next thing you know we are hooked up with some sweet green passes. These are all access types of passes. We never read them, we just figured we could go where we wanted. So we check out some individual drills. Then next thing you know we are standing between the offense and defense fields.

So we are just hanging out, talking, and watching practice. After a bit Rhodes has to take off to do his work thing. Brian, his son, and I decide to hang out longer. Brian's son keeps getting a yard or two onto the field taking picks. I think at some point in the day I offered to start his college fund with a few hundred if he'd go kick a player in the junk. Luckily, he did not take me up on it. So after we'd been hanging there the better part of an hour, the gentleman with some clout comes over and quietly says "He big guy, you are not supposed to be here. Only players and Giants staff are allowed here." I said "No problem" of course. So we started making our way to where the lowly VIP's were sitting. With only a half an hour left to camp, we decided that just wasn't cool enough anymore, so we went to watch Rhodes do his thing for a while.

I texted my father in law and told him thanks for the effort, but we moved on up like the Jefferson's. He told me he'd have his brother tell the Mara's to text me if "they" needed to get hooked up in the future. Act as if right. I told my wife and she laughed her butt off. I think she imagined me on the 50 yard line, that was not the case. She just chalked it up to me having no situational awareness and not giving a "f." Seek forgiveness, not permission I say.

Good times!
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Good times!
    Good times indeed Vin, sounds like a great day - excellent read, once again.

Thursday

Treadmill, 20 minutes LISS

I usually take Thurday's off from any training, but because I did not get cardio in on Wednesday, I had to make it up. Feeling a little better each time with conditioning. It's starting to come back.

Friday - ME Bench Training at Beast

Dynamic warmup
    Close grip floor press 95/135/185/225/275/315x3 added wrist wraps 365/405x3 455/495/500/505x1
    Seated overhead rack lockout 225/225/275x7
    Reverse band bench pulldowns adding bands each set 5x10
    Barbell tri ext 135 3x15
    Alt dbl hammer curls 30 3x10 medium/slow tempo

Not at our regular place as Brian was selfish and did something with his family. How dare he? Erik Eggers was really cool as usual and opened up his facility Beast Training in Trumbull, CT for us. If I ever owned a place myself it would be very much like Beast.

I gotta say, I was not feeling it. My nutrition and hydration has been off all week. Anyway, got work in. Thumbs from the smooth is a close grip for me. Definitely out of my comfort zone, but good for lockout strength. So 495 did not feel easy. I wanted to make sure to get 2 more lifts in so I just added 5 each set. Pretty whimpy, but effective.

Got the rest of assistance in and felt pretty beat. The tri ext were kind of an extension JM hybrid, whatever. Used the tempo thing on the ol' guns. Nice!

Saturday 8/11/12 - ME Lower

Foam Roll Upper and lower
    Seated SSB gm's 65/85/105x15
    Trap bar dl 135/185/225/275/315/365x5 add belt 405/455x5
    Bulgarian split squats w/ssb 3x6 left 2x6, 1x2 right
    Swiss bar rev hyper 3x15
    Crunches 3x25

Wow, another lower body week realizing how weak I am. I was a little shaky with the 455 so I shut it down there. I wanted to go to 5 plates per side, but I am taking it slow with the new approach to lower body work.

The Bulgarian split squats were new. I kept the form correct with low weight, just the ssb. On the last set with the right leg forward I felt a crunch in my groin on the descent of the second rep. It's the same injury I got a few weeks ago sprinting with the sled. I am going to have to be cautious with lower body until I give the groin time to heal. This is not my strong suit.

Monday 8/13/12 - DE bench

Foam roll upper and lower
    Dynamic warmup
    DE bench w/3 grips 290 w/dbld micro 3x3, 290 w/dbld mini 3x3, 290 w/dbld micro & mini 3x3
    Chains suspended close grip w/legs up 315 2x5, 1x7
    SS 3x10 T-bar row 135, seated dbl hang clean 15, blast strap curls

Finding my groove with DE bench again. Although my upper back was still pretty beat up from trap bar deadlifts from Saturday. The chain suspended work was different than any I have ever done. The chain set up was pretty low. I could certainly use the lockout work, so I didn't change it. Also, I decided to keep my legs up. I wanted to practice on grinding versus exploding.

I was pretty dead after the first two exercises so I decided to superset the rest of the work. My diet and hydration has been a bit off. I think it has effected my mood and my lifting. I put everything together again for this one, but I have to get my body back to running in peak condition.

TUESDAY 8/14/12
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sled drag for 20, 30 yard laps frontwards, backwards and side to side

WEDNESDAY 8/15/12
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treadmill, 20 minutes HIIT

THURSDAY 8/16/12

Day off. Went to the beach. Had to leave because a bunch of kids tried to roll me back into the ocean before I died. Thank goodness Jessica scared them away. I'm fine out of the water as long as someone keeps my blowhole moistened.

Sunday - Lower body training

Upper and lower foam roll
    Seat band gm's 3x15
    SSB box squats 155/205/245/295x5 add belt 335/385x5 add knee sleeves 425x5
    Step ups 3x15
    RDL 135 3x10 slow tempo
    Band ab pulldowns 3x25 slow tempo

Keeping my lower body work to a RPE of 8. I don't want to take the risk of grinding weight with my lower body. Too injury prone. I need to strengthen everything up before I start pushing it to 9's and 10's.

Monday 8/20/12 - DE Bench

Foam roll upper and lower
    Dynamic warmup
    DE Bench w/3 grips 295 w/dbl micro band 3x3, 295 w/dbl micro and mini 3x3, 295 w/dbl 2 mini 3x3
    Rack lockout w/legs up 225/315/365/405x5 slow tempo
    Bent over barbell rows 230 4x10 medium tempo
    Face pulls 50 3x15
    Curls w/gaspari bar w/40 lbs of crazy bells 3x10 medium tempo

What a dunce. I actually misloaded my own bar. I had a 5 on one side and a 10 on the other. The good thing is the 10 was on the left side where I had the locking difficulty on my recent attempt at 600 raw. Besides that, the work was tough. The two sets of doubled mini bands were brutal. Being that my reps have been more deliberate I may have even hit a RPE of 9 on one of the sets. Most of the sets were probably 7's. But that 9 is why I like working with the heavier weight on DE sometimes, it forces you to work. You can't just take the sets for granted.

Did my supplemental with my legs up and used a slower tempo on the rack lockouts. Just learning how to grind which is definitely my weakness. Used medium to slow tempo on the rest of my assistance also. Probably sound like a broken record, just making lighter weight feel heavy. The crazy bell curls were just for fun.

Vinny, it does me good to know that even you can still misload a bar. At least I know I'm in very good (and strong) company when I do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Vinny, it does me good to know that even you can still misload a bar. At least I know I'm in very good (and strong) company when I do the same!
    Awesome! The best bart is I didn't notice until I was racking the weights after my 9th set.

Friday - ME Bench

Warmup
    Rev band bench pinkies on ring to manpon 585/635/640/645x1
    OHP in rack w/bamboo bar and 180lbs of crazy bells 4x8
    Banded fat bar pulldowns to belly 4x15 medium/slow tempo
    Incline Tate presses 40 3x15 slow/medium tempo
    Dbl hammer curls 30 3x10 medium tempo

Saturday - Lower Deload

Done as circuit
    Rev band seated gm's 5x15
    TKE's 5x15
    Swiss ball hamstring curl 5x15
    McGill situps 5x15
    Calf raises 5x15

Sunday - Conditioning

Treadmill, 20 minutes hiit

Monday - DE Lower Deload

Warmup
    Swiss ball dbl bench 30/40/50/60x20
    Close grip floor press 135/185/225/225x10 medium tempo
    Blast strap scarecrows 3x10 medium tempo
    Blast strap curls 3x10 medium tempo

OK, I'm back to work so I am falling behind on my log. However, I am not falling behind on my training. ME night was good. We trained at Beast again in Trumbull. The owner, Eric Eggers is great to us.

Saturday was not supposed to be a regular lower day, but my groin is torn up from river tubing, wish I had more time to tell that story. Anyway, it's my groin on the left which is different from the strain on my right from sled sprints and Bulgarian split squats. Hence the deload type session.

Monday was a legitimate deload. I could feel a shocking sensation in my forearms and elbows on floor presses. My body really told me I was correct in the deload.

Just wanted to note, the bench clinic at TPS up in the Boston area was a huge success. It was full. Everyone worked hard and learned a lot. We even had a few pr's. I don't usually expect that as sometimes you have to take a step back to go two steps forward. I will do a full post and have vid when I get a chance.

I'm keeping my own training a huge priority right now. Still have goals that need to be hit.

Keep it up, Vin. Love reading your mini essays!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk