Page 106 of 125 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Tuesday 8-28-12 Conditioning

Sled tabata 155 lbs on grass

The 155 on grass was pretty heavy. The tabata sucked because although I did not mind stopping every 20 seconds, it sure was a mother to get started after the 10 second break. I was winded, job done.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Nice training Vin.

Question, i just ordered an ACE and plan on using it tomorrow morning. On the sizing, Jo Jordan recommended me a 58 or 56 and that sounded pretty large for my size, so i just went ahead and did my shoulders and bought a 54. Do these usually run big or tight? Is it more of an elbows out until touch shirt or tuck hard from the start?

Thanks brotha.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Nice training Vin.

Question, i just ordered an ACE and plan on using it tomorrow morning. On the sizing, Jo Jordan recommended me a 58 or 56 and that sounded pretty large for my size, so i just went ahead and did my shoulders and bought a 54. Do these usually run big or tight? Is it more of an elbows out until touch shirt or tuck hard from the start?

Thanks brotha.
    I am back in love with my Ace. Yeah, I have no clue on sizing. Jo really is the man for that. The shirt I hit the 850 wit at the Last Man Standing, I can actually put on by myself. I will say I do believe it is a tuck hard from the beginning type of shirt. Good luck with it. It is probably the most durable shirt on the market.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Friday 8/30/12 - it was a Vinny D-Load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Bench, worked up to 575x1

I just wanted to bench. I originally was going to do a ME exercise at 80% for a double. That just seemed impotent to me. So I decided I would just bench and do no assistance. I'd stop when the weight felt heavy. 550 went easy and Brian told me to shut it down there. After sitting out a rotation I told him I really wanted to take 575. He had no problem with that. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't a grinder either. Shut it down after that with no assistance.

This was a good indicator that the first portion of my training cycle went well. I think those things are called mesocycles. Well, yeah, my first one has been a success. I will make only a few minor changes to the next cycle based on percentages and what I hit the first time around. Brian gave me a good idea there that I'm excited about.

Power Programming
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from my training partner Brian Holloway. He's the head athletic trainer at a prestigious private school and The Director of Performance Enhancement for Total Athlete Conditioning. I know I have mentioned him numerous times. He is such an incredible wellspring of training information. So he sends me this email the other day. It is too good not to share. Hopefully we can urge Brian to write some further installments of "Power Programming."

Here’s the first installment of my Power Programming series. Why this topic? Because I felt like it…critiques are welcome! Oh, and it’s about you…well, sort of.

Decisions

Think about how many decisions, most of which small and seemingly insignificant, are made within a training session. They are not a conscious part of the plan when you wrote the program but they arise during every training session and have an enormous impact on how well or poorly the session goes. In fact, the sum of these decisions may be as or more important in determining the overall training effect than the plan itself.

As an example, let's reflect on a few of the ‘in the moment’ decisions that took place during Vincent's last scheduled training session:

Decision 1: Heading into the gym, the plan called for a deload where he was supposed to take 80% for a double. While warming-up, we casually started talking about working up with singles and calling it whenever it started to 'feel heavy'. We all agreed, f*ck the doubles and the 80%- let's just see how it goes.

Decision 2: While working up, Vincent noted that his body was 'shaking' with weights in his hand. A sure sign of CNS fatigue and an indicator that it was time to shut it down, right? Since it was only 315 at this point, he decided to take one more jump and see how it felt. As he set-up to take 4 plates for what we assumed would be his last set of the night, I cued, "squeeze the bar." Result: no more shaking, the weight jumped out of his hands, and the question of CNS fatigue was put to rest.

Decision 3: As he worked up, the weights continued to move smooth and fast- 410, 460, 500…at 500, it moved so well we figured there'd be no harm in taking 550 before calling it. 550 went as well as expected based on his previous sets- another solid session in the books! Minutes later, however, Vincent was remarking that he'd really like to take 575 so, in the moment, we decided to load it up and ride the lightning. Minutes later, he was driving 575 off of his chest for his last deload rep of the day!

Could Vincent have shut it down early and saved it for another day? Sure. But, things were going well and there was no doubt that his preparedness on this day would allow him to hit these weights so why not be flexible and roll with it? Had it not gone as well, we would have shut it down as planned.

From this example, some might conclude that we're a bunch of meatheads who can't follow a plan or we're a crew of enablers who want nothing more than to see our training partner self-destruct. I believe this example is further proof that the plan is more or less a guide that points us in a direction, but it is our collective experience, intuition, and opportune decision making that determines the effectiveness of the program.

Brian Holloway, ATC, CSCS

Good stuff, Vincent: thanks for sharing it!

Saturday 9/1/12 - Lower Deload

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    SSB squat worked up to 340x5
    Physio ball crunches 3x15

Groin is feeling much better. Should be back to normal lower day next week.

The last paragraph in Brian's article says it all. Thanks for sharing it Vinny!

Ace is a great shirt Vin. They sent a size smaller then i ordered and it still worked great. Thanks for the help.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Ace is a great shirt Vin. They sent a size smaller then i ordered and it still worked great. Thanks for the help.
    No problem. Glad it's working out.

Sunday - Conditioning/Sux

Treadmill, 20 minutes hiit

Well, the treadmill is getting easier so my conditioning must be getting better. Oh joy, that means I have to work harder. I put the incline on .05. I never use the incline. Well this wasn't enough. Gonna have to bump up the speed. This is going to be awful.

Monday 8/3/12 - DE Bench

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Med ball wall passes x 10
    DE bench w/3 grips 280+4 chains 8x3
    Close grip 4 board press w/feet up 405 2x5, 1x6 *medium tempo
    T-Bar rows 150 4x10 *medium tempo
    Face pulls 55 3x15 *medium tempo
    Barbell curls 50 3x10*medium temp

Speed work at comp grip feels great, closer grip, not so much. I f'n hate closer grip DE bench. I think next week I am going to do every warmup set with the closer grip, then start my sets with closer grip, and finish up strong with comp grip.

What can I say for the rest of my training, tempo, tempo, tempo. Every last set finished with an RPE of at least 9. Learning to grind and work the muscles. The ultimate test will be in October to see if this change in my assistance work pays off.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-06-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Tuesday - Conditioning

Sled drag/run 30 yards x 20 trips

Did something a little different this week. I started with a drag for the first half of the trip and then ramped up to a run. I liked this a lot. Legs and lungs got worked. Job well done.

Wednesday - Conditioning

Treadmill, 2 minutes hiit

Continue to improve with conditioning. Pumped the treadmill up another level for this one.

Friday 9/7/12 - ME bench w/small setback

Foam Roll upper and lower
    Dynamic warmup
    2 board press w/dbl light bands 100/140/190/230/280/320x3, 370/410/460/485x1 505 2x0
    Incline w/swiss bar 325 3x8
    Wide grip pullups w/1 light band assitance 7/5/5/5
    Tate presses 55 3x15
    Dbl preacher curl 25 3x12

So the 460 felt good. I was at a croosroad here. Do I go straight to 505 to beat the 500 from the past mesocycle or do I take a smaller jump within the 90% range before I go for it. Well, I took 485 and it snapped like an empty bar. Then onto 505. Damn, I hit the wall right at lockout. Thought I might have been out of the groove, but that wasn't the case. Stalled out badly on the second attempt at it.

Now I know to shoot for that top number on the second lift instead of taking the intermediate jump. If all goes well I can repeat or take a small jump for the third. If it's a grinder I can drop down a little and still be within the 90% range.

Psychologically it's bad for me to miss weight. I can't remember the last time I missed a training weight and wasn't able to come back and get it. I'm ok with it though, this was a learning experience. I'll be back on track for next week.

Missing a weight is tough. But you're tougher.

Saturday 9/8/12 - Conditioning

Not exciting, but necessary.

Great training, as always, Vin!

And those words from your training partner make a lot of sense; if you've got it on that day, then use it! For you might come back on a properly 'scheduled' heavy session and not be up for it.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Gotta keep on plugging away.

Sunday - Lower

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Standig band gm's 3x15
    SSB squat 115/155/205/245/295/335/385/425x5
    Side step ups w/10 lb dbls 3x15
    Ghr w/swiss ball assist 3x8
    Planks 3x40 seconds

Squats got better each set. Was slightly heavier than the time I hit it in the last mesocycle. That's my goal. Don't need to go crazy, just have to get better while staying healthy to bench.

I like your lower body days. Solid work but nothing too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I like your lower body days. Solid work but nothing too crazy.
    Thx, it's working as planned for the most part. I'm glad I made the changes I did. I was getting too lazy and routinized.

Monday 9/10/12 - DE Bench

*No foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    DE bench w/3 grips 280+4 chains 9x3
    3 Board press 320 w/dbl light bands 2x5, 1x12
    Inverted rows 2x20
    Reverse band flies 2x20
    Blast strap curls 3x10

I still f'n hate using the closer grip on DE work, but I gave it one more week. Next week I will be within a month out so I am going to drop the closer grips in favor of my comp grip. I heard Rhodes yelling in my head to use my wraps so I did. I'd rather not use wraps during DE work, but I hate that closer grip so much that any little thing helps-a lot!

Oh yeah, as for the "*" for foam rolling, I just didn't feel like it. I didn't feel like warming up, but I knew in my head I'd tear something completely off. Halfway through warmups on DE my pecs felt stupid tight. That's a scary feeling. So I grabbed the foam roller and rolled my pecs out. It has to be pretty funny looking. Something akin to me mating with the floor. Anyway, my pecs felt much better as a result.

On to my supplemental exercise, board presses with dbl light bands. I'm still loving the fact that I have figured out how to perform board presses training by myself. Last time around I did 315 for 2x5 and 1x6. I have been really letting them sit on the boards before pressing.

I was feeling awful and wanted no part of training. I was starting to tell myself I'm close enough to the meet to cut down on assistance. I was already looking for a way out. This was lame so I made a deal with myself. Considering my last set of board presses last time was 6 reps, if I hit 10 I could go easy on the rest of my training. Well, I hit 12. The last one was a bit of a grinder. I might have had another, but the idea of getting pinned under the bar with doubled bands in the bastement by myself seemed daunting.

I did inverted rows, reverse band flies, and blast strap curls afterwards. This was not my prescribed assistance, but it was the deal I made with myself. The balancing act between the mental and physical part of this sport can be tough. Sometimes you just have to be flexible.

Tuesday - Conditioning

About a 1 hr walk for approx a half mile

Took my dog for a walk around a pond. She is up in her golden years and this walk was more of an exercise in patience. The pace was sloooooow. At one point I could swear she looked up at me and wanted to say "I liked you better when your were really fat and could hardly walk half a mile yourself."

Since I could not count the dog walk as exercise I got on the treadmill when I got home.

Friday - ME Bench GWR

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Close grip floor press 95/135/185/225/275/315/365x3, 405/455/495/535 GWR
    Seated overhead lockouts 315/365/405x5
    Pulldowns to belly w/fat bar 150/170/200/150x12
    Barbell tri ext 70/90/90x15
    Alt dbl hammer curls 30 3x12

This was an excellent training session. I really smashed my numbers. Floor press was awesome. Moved on to overhead rack lockouts. I pushed that last set. When I finished I went to stand up. Brian told me to stay seated. I fell right back on the seat instead of my face. If I went forward I would have gone down hard.

Karsten hit a pr on floor press. He's been kicking a$$. We have all been having awesome sessions lately. It's lots of fun.