The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 107 of 125 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3106
    My Next Bench Clinic will be this Saturday

I am holding a bench clinic at Total Performance Sports in Everett, MA. Each session will begin with a Q&A and followed by a hands on bench session. Last month's was a big success.

I have worked with lifters from beginners to 900+ lb equipped benchers. I am well versed in raw and equipped lifting, both types of lifters are welcomed. I have the experience to bring your benching to the next level.

The clinic is being held this Saturday 9/22 at 11:00 am. The sessions are limited to 10 lifters and will be on a first come first served basis. I will not take additional lifters. I want to ensure each participant gets the hands on training he or she deserves.

For further information or to sign up, please click the link below.

http://www.totalperformancesports.co...incent-dizenzo

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Awesome with the benching clinic, them lifters are lucky to have you nearby and available to help tweak their benching!

Saturday - Lower

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Trap bar dl 135/185/225/275/315/365/405/460x5
    Physio ball rev hypers 3x16
    Crunches 3x25
    Split squats 3x10

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Sunday

Treadmill, 20 minutes LISS

Monday - DE Bench

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    DE bench 300+4 chains comp grip 9 or 10x3, lost count
    Chain suspended close grip bench w/legs up 425 2x5, 1x8
    Underhand pulldowns 90 6x10

Great session. Each set on DE bench got better. I was reciting cues in my head, maybe even out loud, for each set. "Eyes back, tuck, meet the bar." The last set felt like it was jumping out of my hands. Pushed the chain suspended work. I have really gotten good about not just doing prescribed reps. Gotta get better when the body allows it. Was spent and cut my last three assistance exercises and just did the underhand pulldowns. I am not certain whether that is laziness or wanting to dial things in, now that I'm a month out. Meet day will tell.

Wednesday

Treadmill, 20 minutes hiit

WTF! Have not had a cavity in decades. Supposedly had a little decay in the x-ray from my last visit. They called me in for a quick filling. Yeah, quick my big a$$. There was more decay than thought, plus the dentist swapped out an old silver filling in the next tooth. Well there was a cavity in there also. Then something did not line up properly and the filling she just finished had to come out. I appreciate the thorough job, but I was in the chair for over 2 hours.

On top of my jaw and gums killing me, my bum shoulder ached the entire time because those chairs are not made for normal sized people like me. My shoulders were hanging off the edges. Well, the novacaine wore off later and when I yawned, I thought my skull was going to split in half. Hopefully this will all subside by ME bench today. I'm afraid I'll clench down on my teeth and break them all.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-21-2012 at 07:09 AM.

I feel your pain my friend. I just had a tooth crack in half. The tooth was still in decent shape so she was going to put a crown on it. So I get a big ass filling while we wait for the crown. She can numb the tooth even after 7 shots. So I white knuckle the chair while she drills. Then I go back she cleans the tooth off again, no numbness. Then she drops the crown and I swallow it. Finally went back yesterday and the crown is on but I got a massive pain in my jaw last night. Subsided but I don't know what caused it. I'm not scared of the dentist I just hate the amount of time and effort it takes to get this stuff done!

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I feel your pain my friend. I just had a tooth crack in half. The tooth was still in decent shape so she was going to put a crown on it. So I get a big ass filling while we wait for the crown. She can numb the tooth even after 7 shots. So I white knuckle the chair while she drills. Then I go back she cleans the tooth off again, no numbness. Then she drops the crown and I swallow it. Finally went back yesterday and the crown is on but I got a massive pain in my jaw last night. Subsided but I don't know what caused it. I'm not scared of the dentist I just hate the amount of time and effort it takes to get this stuff done!
    No $hit right? My hernia and bicep surgeries took less time. Hang in there big man and I'll try and do the same.

hahaha Tone I love that you swallowed the crown.

Bummer luck with the tooth Vin.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Friday 9/21/12 - ME Bench
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Bench, comp grip, w/6 chains 140/190/230/280/320/370x3, 410/460/500x1, 550x?, 540X1
    Incline, fat bar, intermediate grip 340/390/430x5
    Neutral grip pullups 7/5/5/5
    Rollding dbl tri ext 55 3x15
    Dbl preacher curl 30 3x12

Last time around I hit 530 with the chains. 500 felt really light so I jumped to 550. I did not lockout both arms. Just felt off. Karsten said he might have left the handoff a little high. Anyway, I knew 530 was my best so I split the difference. I took 540 and it went perfectly. Supplemental and assistance was finished with heavier weight or reps then last time around. Good work.

I only have one more full heavy session before the meet. DE this Monday is going to be tough, but I see light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train.

Saturday - DE squat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing band ab pulldowns 3x15
    Seat SSB gm's 3x15
    DE box squat 245 w/doubled mini bands 8x2

Holy cow my legs are sore. That little weight should not cause such soreness. All I can think is that I was firing off the box so hard my body was not used to it.

Sunday - Conditioning

Treadmill, 20 minutes LISS

Monday 9/24/12 - Last Heavy DE Bench

Foam roll upper and lower
    Dynamic warmup
    Med ball chest passes
    DE Bench 320 w/4 chains, comp grip 9-12x3

Each set got better than the last. The first set or two always feel like death. I started calling out my cues "Eyes back, elbows in, meet the bar" before each set and it really helped. A few of the sets felt crazy good. I hope I can perfect this form. It'd odd, It feels like the weight is getting behind my wrists. When it happens, the weight just catapults off my chest. I hope I can recreate this on this Friday's ME bench.

Now within three weeks from the meet I decided to cut out assistance on this day. I just wanted to push the DE work and I did. I actually lost count of the sets. However, it was going so well I didn't care.

Interstingly my pec/shoulder/bicep tendon is feeling really good today. I always thought it was benching that irritated it. Now with taking away assistance, I can't help but think some of those smaller movements could be causing the irritation. Regardless, I feel good. I just need to train smart for the next 2.5 weeks.

Vincent, I was wondering: what do you think are the keys to a huge bench?
    Let's say, your 5 musts for a bad-ass bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Vincent, I was wondering: what do you think are the keys to a huge bench?
    Let's say, your 5 musts for a bad-ass bench.
    1. Be consistent (I never take down time, I am always training with purpose
    2. Lift heavy all the time (At least your main movement or assistance has to be heavy, and it could be both)
    3. Program properly (Have a plan with a little science behind it, have at least 8-12 weeks mapped out, and have someone you respect review it).
    4. Recover (Make sure you are doing what you need to in order to recover for your next session, this includes active recovery, nutrition, and sleep)
    5. Technique (Good technique will propel your lifting and minimize injuries. If you don't have good technique, find someone to teach it to you)

I was wondering if you wanted me to give you my top 5 exercises, but those five above are musts for a bad-ass bench. Even better, they are five musts for any good lift.

Thank you!

Well, if you'd be so kind to top it off with the top 5 exercises, it would be the icing on the cake!

Thank you!

Well, if you'd be so kind to top it off with the top 5 exercises, it would be the icing on the cake!
    1 Benchin heavy, with and without accomodating resistance
    2 Close grip supplemental work such as incline, floor press, board work, etc
    3 Heavy back work like t-bar rows (but with good form). Standing pulldowns to the belly or as Rhodes calls them, Dizenzo rows
    4 Tri extensor exercises including rolling dumbell tricep extensions and Tate presses
    5 Upper back/rear delt work like facepulls and scarecrows. Maintain tension throughout on these, don't just yank on the weight

There ya go. Hope this is what you were looking for.

I have another question:which rep ranges would you recommend on close grips/bpard work and back work?

Thank you for your time: I really appreciate it!

I have another question:which rep ranges would you recommend on close grips/bpard work and back work?

Close grips/board work 3-5 sets of 5-7 reps. Back work 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps on the heavier stuff.

No problem, happy to help.l

Close grips/board work 3-5 sets of 5-7 reps. Back work 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps on the heavier stuff.

No problem, happy to help.

Friday 9.28.12 - Bench

Foam roll
    Dynamic warmup
    Bench 95/135/185/225/275x3, 315/365/405/455/495x1, 570 w/pause x1
    Fat bar pulldowns to belly 150 3x15
    Tate presses 35 3x15

I didn't know what to call this session. I see people throw around ME and DE all the time and it's nothing like a ME or DE workout. I know I am a bit snobbish, but you have to be close to the program to use its name.

So I'm 15 days out. I did not want to be lifting at max effort. I do not pause during training so I figured I'd go around 95% pause for a single. I knew 570 would not be overly stressful physically, or psychologically. I'll just say I was correct and that the bar moved well.

I have really been punishing myself pretty good for the last 10 weeks. Actually, I have been consistenly punishing myself for a while. I have to step off the gas for the next two weeks to try and peak well. That's the hardest part for me. Maybe I'll take up knitting.

Saturday 9.29.12 - Squats

Seated band gm's 3x15
    Physio ball crunches 3x15
    SSB squats 115/155/205/245/295/335/350x5

Right knee was a little sore from this one. Kept it light considering the meet is within sight.

Monday 10.1.12 - Upper

Treadmill 20 minutes LISS
    Physio ball dbl bench 30/40/50/50/50x20
    Seated dbl overhead press 50 2x20
    Rolling dbl tri ext 30 3x20

Damn it sure was nice not being on the bench. My legs and hips take a huge beating driving off the bench. Dialing things in.

Wednesday 10/3

Blast strap horizontal rows 3x10
    Blast strap vertical rows 3x10
    Blast strap scarecrows 3x10
    Blast strap curls 3x10

Got some work in before I had to pay off a bet I made with a friend. I called him right before the Dallas-Bears game Monday night. I need to send Romo this bill. 5 interceptions, what a clown. Well, my buddy had shrimp cocktail, 4 Long Island Iced Teas, a Porterhouse steak, dessert, and an after dinner drink. I actually ate pretty light. The bill came out to $160 with tip.