The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 119 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3106
    Dynamic bench w/short mini band 95 2x3, 135 2x3, 185 2x3, 205 1x3, 225 1x3
    SS Dips 3x10/Front dbl lateral raises 25 3x10

Just a little work to get back into things. Felt good. I am developing my training plan to get back in the shirt.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Is the next goal a 900 shirted? Congrats on meeting your last challenge, especially turning it around after a bad day
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    Is the next goal a 900 shirted? Congrats on meeting your last challenge, especially turning it around after a bad day
    Thanks so much. Yeah, gonna give 900 a shot in the shirt. Would like to hit that and then finally get my fat a$$ down to 250.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Thursday
    20 minute walk

I will be doing plenty of these with the new pup around. The walk is only about 1/2 a mile. I will add the 40 lb weight vest to add a little conditioning aspect to it.

Thursday
    Foam roll upper and lower

Friday
    3 board press, middle grip 500x1, 550 2x1, 590x1
    Shirted press Metal Ace 590x3 (no touch), 640x2 (no touch) 680x2 (touched second)
    Close grip incline press to manpon 225/275/315x10, 365x9
    SS front/side/rear dbl lat raises 2x10
    Avg band pushdowns 2x20

This was my first shirted session in over a year. In addition, I had competed twice in the past two months. I just wanted to get my foot in the door so to speak. Boards and the shirt belt good. I was really surprised I touched the 675 on the second rep.

I will start breaking in a new shirt next week. It's a 62 Metal Ace. It's the same size as the one I was using. However, this being new this one is much tighter. I couldn't get near the 60. I tried an already broken in one and could not get it halfway up my arms.

The only thing I screwed up was the close grip inclines. The first couple sets hurt my shoulder/pec terribly. I threw the manpon under my shirt, but it did not make it much better. I have been trying to follow the training philosophy if something hurts badly, don't do it. Learned my lesson.

Saturday
    Single arm pulldowns 50/70/80x10
    Spud strap seated pulley rows 90/110/115x10
    Single arm cable curls 20 3x10
    One legged dl holding dbls 20 3x10

I think I have said it before, but just to keep it out there, I will not be seriously training legs or deadlift. I am focusing on bench only. I will do some single leg and core work, and maybe drag the sled, but that's it.

This was a fluff day for me. My upper back is still tight. So I kept the weights light and used minimal breaks. Man, it sure is a lot easier not doing bbl squats and deads. Probably took around 35 minutes to get this in. When my body is up to it, I will train my back harder though. Also, the weights may look even lighter than they were. I have plate loaded pulley machine that makes things feel much heavier than a commercial stack pulley.

Sunday
    Ab wheel 3x10
    20 minute wakl with 40 lb weight vest

Damn, I remember not that many years ago I had a hard time walking a half mile. Almost felt like I didn't have a vest on today. I think I am going to have to upgrade to the 80 lb vest.

Monday - Dynamic bench, my version
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynamic bench all done with medium grip and mini short band. 185/195/205/215/225/235/245/255x3
    SS EZ curl bar tri ext 155 2x6 w/1 arm dbl floor press 40 2x10
    1 arm seated shoulder press 40 2x10

OK, here's a few things. I hate warming up. I can get through it on Friday's, but I just don't have the heart to do it every session. So I have decided to warm up throughout the dynamic bench.

The plan is to just take small jumps. If I want to stick at a number for a few top sets I will. If I just want to keep getting heavier, I will until the speed diminishes. The next week I will try to get a little heavier than the last. I waved my weights during speed work when going after my first 600 raw.

The rest of the work is just going to be done by feel. I am not one to underwork so I won't stress about it. Plus getting back in the shirt, I feel a bit more beat up from this than training raw.

TUESDAY - 7/30/13

SS Single arm meadows rows 45/50/55/55/60x10 w/band assisted pullups 5x10
    Single arm grenade rev curls with doubled chain 5x10
    Single leg squats bw 5x10

Great session. I was sweating, and breathing heavily. I took short breaks between all sets. My goal is to make light weights feel heavy through supersets and unilateral movements. My focus is on my max effort benching, dynamic effort benching and supplemental exercises. Assistance work is going to be kept light for the most part. I am reducing stressors so I can concentrate on and recover for my main lift. The way I bench it works my whole body anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Great session. I was sweating, and breathing heavily. I took short breaks between all sets. My goal is to make light weights feel heavy through supersets and unilateral movements.
    Nice job, sounds quite intense!

WEDNESDAY 8/1/13

1.5 hours yard work

Yep, that's what I did. I sweat a lot and was breathing heavily. Sounds like exercise to me or... Anyway, I felt plenty worked and did not find it necessary to do anything in the gym

THURSDAY 8/2/13

Bear crawls 2x30 yards

I have been favoring conditioning over cardio lately. I just can't seem to push myself on the airdyne or treadmill. Conditioning work is more of a challenge in my mind. I can get my heart pumping a lot faster with conditioning exercises versus cardio. In addition I'm working a lot more muscles with conditioning than just being a hamster on a wheel.

I have been favoring conditioning over cardio lately.
    Not a bad deal man, definitely the best route to be taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Not a bad deal man, definitely the best route to be taking.
    Thanks. I have to find a happy medium. Having asthma, extended cardio helps.

FRIDAY 8/2/13

Foam roll upper and lower
    3 board close grip w/4 chains work sets 500/550/550x1
    Shirt bench Metal Ace size 60 590/680/770/820x2
    Seated rack overhead lockouts 315 2x5, 405x2
    Band side laterals 2x10
    Bench pushdowns 2x20

Through some correspondence Joey Smith caused me to get this 60 on. It was Rhodes old shirt so it was already broken in. Pretty much every shirt I have worn I can get on myself. Joey was saying how he could get into something like a 56. I figured it's time to sack up and put on a tight shirt.

I brought out the old trick of plastic grocery bags on my forearms. Karsten and Tee were able to get the shirt on my pretty easily. Man, it felt weird to be in a shirt that tight though. My forearms were turning purple the whole time.

I swear with the 590 it didn't even feel like I was bending my arms while benching. I am working reps for form and to break in the shirt to my body. Doubles were the call for the day. No boards either. I am not a fan of board pressing in the shirt. It gives a false groove as far as I'm concerned.

By the time I was done I have worked up to 820 for a double. I did not come near touching. I might have gone for another weight jump, but some threads popped on the seam where the pec/shoulder meet. I'm going to need to get it stitched up.

After that we decided on seated overhead rack lockouts for our supplemental exercise. I worked up to 315 for 2 sets of 5. Tee Tee and Josh played me and both did more than 5 on their second set. I was not having that. I loaded the bar up to 405 and squeezed out a double. That was not matched. Gotta let them know the old man can still get it done.

FRIDAY 8/2/13

I worked up to 315 for 2 sets of 5. Tee Tee and Josh played me and both did more than 5 on their second set. I was not having that. I loaded the bar up to 405 and squeezed out a double. That was not matched. Gotta let them know the old man can still get it done.
    Now that is pretty damned cool!

I've never thought about doing partial overhead work like that.. do you feel like it helps your bench lockout or shoulder stability or a whole lot of everything?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    I've never thought about doing partial overhead work like that.. do you feel like it helps your bench lockout or shoulder stability or a whole lot of everything?
    Helps lockout a lot, plus it's great shoulder work with less stress on the rotators.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Now that is pretty damned cool!
    Thx, wasn't to show them up, but more to motivate myself.

Thx, wasn't to show them up, but more to motivate myself.
    Competition is always a good motivator.

SATURDAY 8/3/13

Pulldowns 150 5x10
    Seated pulley rows w/underhand grip 150 5x10
    Preacher curls with curl bar 65 5x10

SUNDAY 8/4/13

One legged deadlift w/20 lb dbls 5x10

I was spent yesterday so I did not feel like doing my weenie leg work. Yeah, it's weenie, but it get's the job done. Plus, with a gym in my basement I don't mind training a little everyday. This only took me 15 minutes and I was able to attack it fresher than I would have yesterday after back and biceps.

Holy cow, I feel like I was hit by a freight train. I forgot how beat up I can get from a heavy shirt session. Light back and biceps was the order for the day.

MONDAY 8/5/13

I was absolutely spent once again. My entire upper body was achy and I had a touch of tendonitis in both arms. I think getting back into the shirt two weeks straight after doing back to back raw meets within a month has finally taken it's toll.

So instead of waiting for the standard deload every fourth week, I listened to my body. I went to my basement gym and busted out the bands. The bands allow me to get a little work with a good flush. So I get to train and recover at the same time.

If I don't know my body needs a rest by now, I never will. In addition, I am never-ever looking to get away with just the bare minimum. In order to be instinctive with your training, you really need to be honest with yourself.

So next time you feel really beat up and think about killing yourself to get another session in, or conversely, you are considering skipping it altogether, try grabbing some bands instead.

Band chest flyes 5x20
    Band overhead presses 5x20
    Band pushdowns 5x20

TUESDAY 8/6/13

Still feeling beat up so I stuck with just a little band work again.

Standing band rows 5x20
    Standing band curls 5x20

FRIDAY 8/9/13

Floor press comp grip, worked up to 495x1
    Floor press close grip 405 3x5
    Single arm standing oh dbl press 45 3x10

I guess this is what some might now call a deload. Although 495 is far from my best, it's still a fair amount of weight. I know I was beat up and I worked until the weight felt fairly heavy. Took 80% with a close grip for my supplemental work. Usually I'd do this for two sets. Well, the second set was pretty comfortable. If I walked away, I'd leave work on the table or the floor so to speak. I took another set and the 5th rep was a nice grind. Yep, I knew I was done. Finished with some fast paced oh dbl work. It hit shoulders and triceps. I felt sufficiently worked.

What some might call a deload, I call instinctive training.

SATURDAY 8.10.13

Neutral wide grip pulldowns 140x10, 150 2x10, 1x15
    One arm dbl rows 60/65/70 x10, 75 1x20
    One arm dbl rows 15/20/25/30/35x15

I always get torn on back work. Heavy back work beats me up. I know it's why my upper back had been so screwed up for a while. But then when I do it lightly I feel like a wuss.

Then I realized when justifying to myself, when doing back work on DE and ME bench, I'd hardly have anything left to give. So it was never that heavy. Crap, I get enough heavy lat work from benching. So, I have gotten over the guilt. Plus, it's nice hitting a quick 45 minute session in the basement.

SUNDAY 8.11.13

Sled Drag 85 lbs 30 yard trips alt forward and backward drags for 20 minutes.

This is a great way for me to combine some leg work and conditioning.

MONDAY'S TRAINING

DE Bench w/short avg band 135/160/185/210/235/260/285/315/315/315x3
    Weighted Dips 20 4x10

Working hard, but not harder than necessary.

TUESDAY'S TRAINING

Alternating Underhand and Overhand Pulldowns 200 6x10
    Bent bar curls w/dbld chains 5x10

I used this crazy bent bar that I have for pulldowns. I have such awful flexibility so I can barely supinate, so this bar really helps. I was going to do two different back exercises, then I decided if I alternated the grips, that's two exercises.

I used the same crazy bar to curl with. There are no sleeves on it so I either have to put plates in one of the bends or hang chains. I went with the chains and doubled them. I have some pretty wrecked arms. So it was nice to have a little deload at the bottom when the chains touched.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING

Sled Drag 85 lbs 30 yard trips alt forward and backward drags for 20 minutes.

The new pup was very interested in the sled dragging. Not sure whether he wanted to stop the sled or jump on. Either way, he made a fun training partner. He brought me his frisbee for a few tosses on the way. It definitely broke up the monotony.

FRIDAY 8.16.13

1 board bench w/dbld mini 410/460/480/480x2
    Shirt bench w/60 Metal Ace 3 board 590/680x1, 2 board 770x1, 1 board 860x1
    Low incline bench 405x5/315x12/275x10

Great second night in the shirt. I needed it. I was actually scared of the 860. It's been a long time since I have been around that weight. Plus, Karsten and Brian had both missed before me. I told them and Brian just said to go for the 860. The two misses were spotted perfectly.

Man, my crew is so worthy. Karsten gave me a great liftoff and Brian coached me through. I have a tendency to bring the weight too low toward my belly, especially with a board. Brian and I worked out a cue for me to fight my elbows in and the weight came in where it was supposed to. Drew and Josh also helped to keep me performing at my best. Thanks guys.

We did low inclines for assistance. I was spent. Brian and I did a few drop sets which really finished me off. All of my pressing muscles did all the work they needed so I stopped there.

I am going to try and shoot footage of every session and make a weekly video log. And so begins my journey to a 900 equipped bench.

Vin, I'm looking forward to following your journey into a 900 equipped bench. That's an insane amount of weight!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Vin, I'm looking forward to following your journey into a 900 equipped bench. That's an insane amount of weight!!!
    Thanks, training is going well. This will be my last big run.