Single leg dbl dl 20 5x10
    Calf raises 5x10
    Landmines 25 3x10

Not much to say.

Monday

Blast strap pushups 5x10
    Blast strap tri ext 5x10
    Blast strap scarecrows 5x10

I tried to do speed bench, but had to shut it down at 185 w/short bands. I took it out of the rack once and it felt awful so I put it back without even trying to press it. I thought there must have been some type of mistake so I took it out and pressed it this time. One rep almost felt like max effort. From there I decided to shut it down and just hit blast straps.

I think the big reason for this was not necessarily hit the 860 shirted on Friday, but the third exercise of the session was inclines. I don't think my pecs/shoulders can handle full range work (with the exception of protected shirt work) twice a week. So, if I want to keep speed in the mix I am going to have to select my exercises wisely.

Tuesday

Single arm pulldowns 5x10
    Neutral grip pullups 5x5
    Reverse curls 35 5x10

I really can't remember the weight on the pulldowns. I am certain however, it was not heavy.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wednesday 8.21

1.6 mile hike with 40 lb weight vest.

Went with the new pooch and wife for a nice little hike. The up hill portions were tough with the vest. Got some good leg work and conditioning at the same time.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Friday 8.23

4 board press inside grip 500/520/540/560/580x2
    Shirt bench 60 Metal Ace 590 3x3
    Tate presses 75 2x10

This was a good session. Worked the shirt. Form should be well dialed in by meet time. I used to hate triples, now I embrace them.

Saturday 8/24

1 arm pulldwon 50 5x10
    Pullups 5x5
    Reverse curls 35 5x10

This was a rough one. Just kidding.

Sunday 8/25

Single leg dbl dl 25 5x10
    Calf raises 5x10
    Ab wheel rollout 5x10

Think I am going to add some TKE's and band leg curls to this day. That should get me to my 1k squat in no time.

Monday 8/26

Towel speed bench w/ medium grip 225 w/short mini band 8x3
    Pushdowns 90 3x10
    Side lateral raises 25 3x15

Yep, much more successful than last week. It was very evident that sticking to mostly top end work on Friday allows me to speed bench on Monday. Plus, I threw a rolled up towel under my shirt. Being that I will be competing in the shirt now I don't think it's necessary to go all the way to the chest. It's not like the towel takes a lot of the range out, but it definitely helped.

Tuesday 8/27

Meadows row 45 5x10
    Dbl shrugs 75 5x10
    Pulley curls 40 5x10

#1. The 1000 lb squat comment was awesome.
    B. The new dog looks exactly like my girlfriends. If it is anything like him, this will be the friendliest pet you ever own.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    #1. The 1000 lb squat comment was awesome.
    B. The new dog looks exactly like my girlfriends. If it is anything like him, this will be the friendliest pet you ever own.
    Thx brother. Yeah, the pooch has been awesome. We are blessed.

Road to 900 Bench Week 3

FRIDAY 8/30/13

4 board close grip 500/550/590x1
    Bench in Metal Ace Bench shirt size 60 625 3x3
    Rolling dbl tri ext from floor 75 2x10

Second set in the shirt was garbage. I flattened out and lost my air. Had a nice comeback on the third set and almost touched the last rep. All in all excellent progress in the shirt.

Oh yeah, we got two new guys training with us, Hamster and Barney. They are good additions thus far. I don't want to say great because they may actually read my log. They listen, are focused, and work hard. Everything a training partner should be, especially a new guy.

Saturday 8/31

Rev band bench pulldowns, dlbd minis and micros 10x10
    Face pulls with spud strap 50 3x15
    Single arm chain curls 1 chain 5x10

Was reaching for a back exercise on this day, so I found one. There was perhaps a lack of motivation. It happens.

I like the chain curls because they deload a bit at the bottom. These are kind on my busted up arms.

Sunday 9/1

Single leg dbl deadlifts 30 5x10
    Calf raises 3x10
    Ab wheel rollouts 3x10

Other than that, I just spent time admiring myself in the mirror.

Monday 9/2

Speed towel bench w/short mini band 230 8x3
    Standing band flyes 4x25
    Band pushdowns 2x50

Actually speed doesn't kill me anymore. With limiting my full range work on Max Effort Day and using the towel on Dynamic Effort Day I can bench twice a week.

That said, I did feel a little beat up overall, but not horribly in the pec/biceps tendon area. That's why I just went with bands for assistance. My goal is to get the hard work in as often as possible then let my body tell me what to do for assistance.

Tuesday 9/3

VBar pulldowns 90 4x10, 1x20
    Single arm band rows 3x12
    Wrist curls 20 3x10

Wrists are starting to bother me from benching in the shirt. More wrist and forearm work should help with this. I have forgotten what geared lifting dishes out.

Wednesday 9/4

Airdyne 20 minutes
    TKE's 5x15
    Band leg curls 3x15
    Land mines 25 3x10

Damn I have to remember to get on the airdyne. It actually helps me stretch out my upper body. The other stuff was just some fluff leg work.

Thursday 9/5

Off

Friday 9/6

3 board press w/6chains, ring finger on ring 500 3x3
    Shirted press 660 3x3
    Floor barbell extensions 135/155/185x10

Shirt benching is going well. Still didn't touch, but was close on my last rep. Good thing the goal isn't to bench 660.

Saturday 9/7

Dbl rows 75 5x10
    SS Chain curls w/gaspari bar & band pullaparts 3x10

I might be running out of ideas.

Sunday 9/8

Single leg dbl deadlifts 30 5x10
    Calf raises 3x10
    Kneeling band ab pulldowns 3x10

If I keep leg sessions like this up, I'll be challenging Brian Carroll in the squat department.

Week 4 bench video

Vincent, did you want this closed?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Vincent, did you want this closed?
    Heck no, did I close it somehow?

Glad this thing isn't locked!

What do you think were the biggest take aways from what Josh had you do? I see a lot of the assistance was kept?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    Glad this thing isn't locked!

What do you think were the biggest take aways from what Josh had you do? I see a lot of the assistance was kept?
    Ughhh, I can't really think of any at this point. I really liked his training, but the one bench night was just too brutal. That's why I just wanted to do my own thing for a while. That and I'm in the shirt. I am using a bunch of the unilateral stuff I would not be using otherwise.

MONDAY'S TRAINING 9/9

Dynamic Bench w/EliteFTS shoulder saver w/short mini band 185 2x3, 205 2x3, 225 2x3, 245 2x3
    Single arm cable pushdowns 20/25/30x10
    Front dbl raises 30 3x10

Pecs felt really beat up so I decided I needed more than the towel to reduce range of motion. I pulled out the Shoulder Saver pad. I was not sure how it would work with speed, it ended up being great. For me this is an excellent alternative to skipping dynamic work altogether, which is what I have to do once in a while.

Being a little tender I decided to wave the weight today. I started with 185 w/the short bands and added 20 lbs, each for two sets. I ended up going until I no longer considered it speed work. The first set with 245 felt great. Funny, the next set felt like a max effort. It was pretty evident I was done with speed benching.

The Shoulder Saver is definitely a worthwhile training tool especially for those who train alone.

TUESDAY'S TRAINING 9/10

Barbell bent over rows 135/185x10 225 5x10
    Dbl wrist curls 20 3x15

One of two or two of two things are happening. I am in great need of a deload or I have not been doing enough recovery. I feel achy and cannot get myself motivated for my assistance work. Basically, if it's not ME, DE, or a supplemental bench exercise I don't feel like doing it.

I have a deload coming up, so I'll have to see if my competitive juices return afterwards. If I am still achy and unmotivated, I will have to look deeper.

I know I am taking care of the big stuff, but the small stuff is important also. I just can't go through the motions and expect to go where I have never been before.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING 9/11

Band belt squats to box 10x10

Alright, so I am getting this odd pain right above my kness in my lower quads. I don't think I have injured myself. Although sleeping is pretty dangerous at my age. Those under forty don't get this, but you will. Sleeping wrong on any part of your body could easily cuase a trip for an mri or at the very least, an x-ray.

So when something hurts, the last thing I want to do is rest it. Heck, I have been resting my legs for over a month now. My present leg work is about as sissy as it gets. I wondered if not squatting was causing this. Maybe it's some kind of muscle imbalance. I say this, like I know what it means. Either way, I have to get some kind of squat back into my program. At least, that's what I think right now.

Well, the whole purpose of not squatting is to help speed up recovery for benching. Plus, I have a messed up back. So that's why loading the spine is taking a back seat in training presently.

I figured I could do bodyweight squats, but those are boring. How about throwing the weight vest on and squatting. To heck with that. I hurt my neck just about every time I get that thing over my head. Hmmmm, there has to be something. Man, I wish I had a belt squat like at Brian's place. Yeah, the one nobody uses.

Hold on a second, I have a belt. I can MacGyver something (Wikipedia that young people). Hold the phone, I have bands. I can take the bands, attach them to the rack, and then to my belt, voila (that's french for this is friggin cool).

There was a little setback realizing I could not sit atg while loading the bands and getting the belt on. That would have caused a trip to the ER. That's where the box came in. NICE, I can sit down and accomplish this! The tension was a little light, but it worked out fine for a first try. I can always add more tension and will.

If you want to see the madness you will have to watch the Week 5 Video of The Road to a 900 Bench Press series. Soon to be released in my log.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 9/13

Reverse band bench 225/315x5 405x.5

I have been feeling like a bag of smashed sphincters. I was planning on being out of the shirt this week, but not necessarily a deload. I knew I was run down from Monday's DE. All the sets that day felt good until the last. 245 w/the bands felt like an ME whereas the set before felt great. In other words I hit the wall. I thought I might have recovered for this evening.

So the plan tonight was no plan. Just lift. If I felt good I was going to do ME. If not, I was going to work in the 5 rep range. That quickly changed a few sets in. Light weight just felt too heavy. This is a very rare sign for me to shut it down completely.

So I spotted, loaded, coached, and encouraged. We have a few new guys in Josh and Anthony. They are picking things up pretty much as they should, but my teeth are showing a bit. It's a cross between tough love and complete apathy. We'll see which wins out.

The original crew cut out after benching. We went to go get some pizza. We went to a cool café type Italian place and sat outside. It's weird for me to be in public around people after 7:00 pm, especially in a social setting. I must say, it was a good time. Good pie and good company. Plus women have taken to wearing very short dresses and dress shorts. Not just young girls either. I don't look at them. I'm too old and it would be creepy. I stick to checking out the well put together milfs and cougars. It made for a very pleasant dining experience. I may just try this going out thing again one day.

I was so beat up I skipped Saturday and Sunday as part of my deload.

Monday 9/16

Bench, bar 4x50
    OHP, bar 4x25
    Tri ext, bar 4x25

Tuesday 9/17

Airdyne warmup 10 minutes
    Fat bar pulldowns to belly 50 4x25
    Rev single arm chain curl 4x10

Wednesday 9/18

Belt squats w/short avg band to box 5x10

Week 6 video

Friday 9/20
    3 board press w/medium grip 500/545/585x1 605x0
    Shirted bench 695 2x2
    Pushdowns 50 1x50, 1x100
    Side laterals w/5lb plates 2x50

Last week was a very good learning experience for me. I had taken enough toll on myself that I really had to limit my training in a deload week. Friday is officially the start of my training week. I think I'll call it f'd up Frieday.

I missed a 605 board press. That's awful! Plus my shoulder was hanging with the equipped benching. I got through it, but it could have been and should have been better. I couldn't even do any decent assistance. This is not acceptable.

If you checked out my vid of week 6, as all of you should, you heard my confession. I'll sum up for those who didn't. I busted my butt to get that 600 raw at 275. I think subconsciously I thought I could coast into a 900 equipped after that.

I mean, I have been training and hitting my main lifts hard. However, if I had been doing my recovery work would I be able to lift harder? Could I have more in the tank for assistance? I haven't even been doing a true warmup for benching.

Too much has been half assed. Enough is enough! I need to implement a dynamic warmup on bench days again. I need to work on recovery with contrast showers, icing, heating, stretching, and foam rolling. 900 will not happen just because I want it to. Even if I could hit 900 half assing things, what would I be capable of if I did all the little things? I don't want that question out there. It's time to do work!

Saturday 9/21
    Tbar row 45/70/90/115/140/165/180/205/230/270/270x6
    1 arm dbl shrugs 75 3x15
    Dbl curls 15/20/25/30/35x10

As you can see I got my tbar row on. Decided it was time for a little heavier back work.

I have also come to the conclusion I kind of mail it in when I have the tv on while training. It's going to be music only on bench and back days. I mail it in on leg days so a little tv is ok. Plus, one leg day is on Sunday. There's too much good NFL stuff to miss.

Sunday 9/22
    BW lunges 5x10
    Calf raises 3x15
    Ab wheel rollouts 3x10

Experiencing a little pain in my left knee/quad. So I decided to skip the single leg dl's. I think going forward over my knee has irritated it. The bodyweight lunges wree a nice alternative.

Monday 9/23
    Dynamic warmup
    Rev band speed bench 275 3x3, 315 3x3, 365 3x3, 405 2x3
    Rev band shoulder saver close grip 405 2x10
    Band clean and press 2x15

Used reverse bands for speed. Just trying to save the pecs/shoulders as much as possible. It was very weird though. The weight seemed sluggish. Travis said the same happened when he tried it. Guess that's out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Tuesday 9/24
    V Bar pulldowns 90 4x15. 2x25
    Grip stick 2x20

Wednesday 9/25
    Sled dragging 50 lbs x 20 minutes

Thursday 9/26
    Airdyne 20 minutes

Don't forget, tomorrow is international bench day.

Week 7

I'm about halfway through this training cycle and I am happy where it is heading. I have learned what I need to do and even more importantly, what I shouldn't. This was a solid week of training. I did a bunch of recovery work in preparation. SFW!

It looked like on the last rep in the shirt your lower body pushed up to the bar and the weight just flew. Thanks for the videos, makes the journal come to life.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    It looked like on the last rep in the shirt your lower body pushed up to the bar and the weight just flew. Thanks for the videos, makes the journal come to life.
    Yeah, that's why I went for the third set, the 1st and 2nd didn't feel right. That 3rd felt dialed in. Thx.