Page 123 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    Unbelievable that you not only pushed through the rest of the competition, but through events like atlas stones with your hamstring jenked up. Also blows my mind how easy that log looks. Seems weird the hamstring popped on that deadlift as it looked easy enough and you didn't have any super bad positions.
    Thanks. I think it was because the gym was so freaking cold and I am so freaking old. Next year I will wear under armor tights or something like that. As well as take much more time stretching my hips and hamstrings.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 12/20/13

Foam roll upper and lower
    Very limited blast strap warm up

Bench press with legs on chair pinkies on ring (that's basically a close grip for me) 95/135/225/275/315/365/405x3 455/500/510/520x1
    3 board press (thumbs from smooth, very close grip for me) 320/410x6, 460x3, 480x2
    Tate presses 50x12, 70 3x8
    CSR 90/115x8, 135/160x6
    Bent over raises 20 3x10

Finally Big Tee is back in da house. It was great to get Tee Tee back. For those who don't know, Tee has benched 900 and 910 equipped. I have been dying for him to get back at it. It's very motivating to have someone who has lifted more train with you. In addition, Tee is one of my best friends. I have missed him.

We crushed an excellent max effort session. My hamstring is still healing so I decided to lift with my legs up on chairs. It certainly sucks not to get the usual leg drive, but what sucks even worse is the instability. I made sure to not push down on my legs or feet at all. I got three good lifts of 500,510, and 520. I might have had another set in me, but I wanted to kill assistance so I decided to move on.

We worked boards next. I really kept a tight groove and only tapped the boards. I did not want any momentum. I'm really trying to work on my triceps strength. After that we moved to our next tri movement. I used to save this until later, but again, I really want to work on my greatest weakness, lockout.

While down there, the bs started. Things tend to slow down during assistance. Nope, not anymore as far as I'm concerned. I announced a number of times I want pr's in 2014 and that does not happen by wishing for it. So I told everyone Get bigger, or stronger, or get out of my way. If someone does not want to get better that's their own business, but they are not going to stop me.

The assistance was nothing, but a blur. Everyone was killing every rep. It was inspiring. By the time we finished I was shaking. Sitting down drinking my shake I truly had a hard time putting sentences together. Seriously, I was almost a little worried that I was stroking out. We need this intensity all the time. It was a heck of a start, that's for sure.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Sounds like a phenomenal session Vin. Good to see Tee getting back in there. His FB posts are top notch, haha. Looking forward to seeing some badass things, more than usual, coming from here. Your logs and training has always been motivational to me, this is just gonna take it to a whole different level. Love the intensity and pace. You gonna be doing videos of the training as well?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

SATURDAY'S TRAINING

Airdyne 20 minutes LISS

Circuit
    Lying single leg lift w/3 sec pause 3x15
    Knee to chest single leg lift w/3 sec pause 3x15
    McGill situps alt 3x15

SUNDAY'S TRAINING

Airdyne 20 minutes LISS

Circuit
    McGill situps alt 3x15

Yes, I did the same thing both days. The hamstring almost feels 100% but I am not going to test it yet. I want to give it another full week. I have some other rehab exercises I need to go through before we get to that stage. I'm really thrilled it's going this well. Like I have preached for years, the little things make the difference.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Hope Santa brought you all the gear, equipment, and weights you wanted. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of my brothers and sisters in iron.

MONDAY'S TRAINING 12/23/13

Upper blast strap circuit

Swiss rev bar bench w/feet up (reg grip) 95/135/185/225/275x10, 315x12
    Superset:
    Swiss rev bar JM w/feet up 135 3x10
    Band assisted close grip pullups 3x10
    Side lateral raise 20 3x10

Preacher dbl curl 20 1x20

I must say, I'm pretty sick of rules. According to the program I have written for this training cycle I was supposed to start speed work, but because of my leg I decided to hold off. Instead I did some rep work with my legs up. The rep work felt great. So who's to say I just can't do rep work when I want and speed work when I want. I'm starting to get tired of rules.

So presently on my second upper day I will do either speed or rep work. Supplemental and assistance work will remain consistent from week to week.

TUESDAY'S TRAINING 12/24/13

Airdyne 20 minutes LISS

Circuit:
    McGill situps alt 3x15

Seems like Groundhog Day. Just doing what's working. Hamstring feels great. Hoping to put my legs back to work next week. Keep your fingers crossed.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING 12/25/13

Circuit:
    McGill situps alt 3x10
    Glute bridges 3x10

Superset:
    Underhand pulldowns 70 3x15
    Pushdowns 50 3x15

One day closer to being back.

Sometimes the molds gotta be broken. Go with what feels right training wise.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Today I will be starting my run at a 900 equipped bench. Below the training program in the notes is just one little change you'll have to make if you are a raw lifter and want to train along. My training for raw and equipped benching is basically the same.

To reach my goal, I will be implementing a conjugate bench program. It will be a 12 week cycle culminating in a meet on 3/29. I have used conjugate training to bench 605 raw at shw, 600 raw at 308, and 850 equipped at 308. The program below is based on all I have learned from those training cycles. Here is the first month:

Monday: DE/RE Upper
    DE Bench (% by feel) w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 9x3 or Pick weight for AMRAP 1-2x10-20
    Rev gr bar ext (reg grip) work up to 3-6 rep max
    Rolling dbl ext 5x12
    Underhand pulldown 5x10-15
    Seated dbl lateral raise 3x10-15
    Preacher dbl curl 3x10-15

Wednesday: DE Lower/Upper Assiatance
    DE Deadlift 8x1 (% by feel w/optional AMRAP)
    1 leg dbl dl 3x8-12
    T bar row 3x5-8
    ľ dips w/weight 3 x5-8
    McGill situps 3x10-15
    Bird Dogs 3x10-15

Friday: ME Bench
    Wk 1 Close grip bench w/Metal Catapult 3x1
    Wk 2 Comp grip bench w/Metal Ace or Jack 3x1
    Wk 3 2 board press close grip w/bands 3x1
    Wk 4 Chain bench comp grip 3x1
    Close grip incline 3x3-5
    Tate presses 4x8-12
    V Bar seated row 5x5-8
    Seated dbl rear delt raise 3x10-15
    Hammer curl 3x5-8

Sunday: DE Lower
    DE Squat 12x2 (% by feel w/optional AMRAP)
    GHR 3-5 x 8-12
    Side/front/side planks 2x30 sec each

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday:
    Conditioning plus stretching and recovery work as needed

The easiest day to start with is the ME Day. Even though I devised this program for myself, it will work for both raw and equipped lifters (for equipped one must be more experienced and really know his/her shirt). For raw lifters just exchange the Week 2 shirt press for a floor press (another ME exercise that has provided great benefits, but beats up my nagging shoulder too much at this time to be used). Make sure with all lifts you are getting 3 presses within the 90% + range for that day.

Something quickly noticeable is the presence of two dynamic days a week for lower body (Remember, I am a bench only guy. Feel free to use your own lower body program). The logic for this is my lower body is weak. For a myriad of reasons I have not trained it hard in a long time. In addition, I am just coming off a hamstring strain. So, if I started right off the bat using ME work I would most likely hurt myself. Contrary to some popular belief lately, pushing submax weights with max force can make one stronger. Just ask Fred Hatfield and Josh Bryant. It will be very important I make certain to move all those DE sets with as much force as possible. Iím leaving an AMRAP option in there if I feel the need for additional work afterwards.

For my Upper DE Day I will press with the Swiss Reverse Grip Press Bar using a normal over grip. The reason for this is because it is much less stressful on my nagging shoulder issue. For me, just that little tweak in hand position lessens the stretch on the biceps tendon and helps to save my shoulder. Regarding the percentage, it will be based on how I feel and am performing that day. When I hit my first 600 lb raw bench, I had worked with weight as low as 205 and as heavy as 365 with doubled mini bands. I got stronger with my dynamic work as the training cycle went along. Hmm, that makes sense.

I have been a slave to percentages with dynamic work in the past. I really find it to be counterproductive. That would be akin to picking your max effort number. How could you possibly know what your max will be on any given day? There are just too many variables to consider. Sure you may have a number you are hoping for, you may even hit it. What happens if you smoke it, do you stop? F*(k no! You go for another. So my DE work will go by feel. If it feels fast I will bump it up. If I donít have it that day, the weight will be lighter, itís that easy.

The last note on the DE Upper Day, I am leaving the option for RE open. I have found more and more that I like some rep work here and there. For me rep work is almost like a deload for DE. I cannot implore enough, if you want conjugate training to work, you must treat your DE day as important, if not more important than your ME day. Just because it is lighter does not mean it requires less effort. If you are not pushing your DE day, conjugate training will not work for you. So if I am too beat up to give DE everything I have, Iím going to pick a weight I feel I can get between 10 and 20 reps and I am going to work a set of two of AMRAP.

Last, but certainly not least is assistance. Assistance work is where the magic happens. When finishing ME or DE work, you need to get to assistance with the same intensity. It is important that you make progress with this work. I am keeping the same exercises for the first month so I can make sure to improve upon them weekly. Each week I will either increase weight, reps, or speed up rest intervals. Progress here has to be made if progress is expected on the major lifts.

Clearly triceps are the priority for a big bench. Increased triceps work is the reason I have been able to work my way down in bodyweight yet maintain a 600 lb raw bench. Second most important is lat work. Because I have noticed the correlation between increased tri and lat work and my bench press, I wanted to increase the volume of that work. However, I know I only have so much in me for each session. This is why I have added extra upper body assistance to one of my lower body days. Wednesday made the most sense because it was not up against another upper body day. I do not think this will lead to overtraining. Regardless, I do mostly believe there is a lot less overtraining than we all think, just under eating, recovering, and sleeping. Remember people, the little things add up. Make sure you are doing them.

Well, there it is, my training program and the thought processes that went into it. Feel free to use it and get stronger. If you have any questions or comments please fire away.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.

WEEK 1/12 Monday - Upper DE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONDAY'S TRAINING

Warm up:
    50 Bar pushups
    20 rev lunges

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 225 w/short mini band 9x3
    Rev gr bar ext (reg grip) 135/185/195x6 RPE 8-9
    Rolling dbl ext 35/40/40/40/40x12
    Underhand pulldown 50/90/90/90/90x15
    Seated dbl lateral raise 20 2x15
    Preacher dbl curl 20 2x15

The first training day of my new cycle went very well. I did not feel like going through a crazy warm up so I just did a bunch of bar pushups and lunges. It was good enough. I planted my leg benching for the first time since pulling my hamstring a few weeks ago. No problems at all.

I could have probably gone heavier, but this was the first week using the Swiss Rev Grip bar for speed. It was a tiny bit awkward pressing fast with it at first, but I got the hang of it. It served its purpose though. I had no pec/shoulder strain at all while pressing.

The elbows got a tad tender on the extensions so I'm going to have to watch these. I could have gone for another set, but enough work was done. That's why I noted the RPE. I want to remember this next week and either push the movement or switch it. I kept the rolling dbl ext light because of the elbow sensitivity. The work felt good.

The rest of the assistance went well. However, I did have to cut the last two exercises shy a set each. Jess called down and told me dinner would be ready. Couldn't keep the wife and the food waiting so I sped things up.

Great first day of a 12 week cycle.

TUESDAY'S TRAINING

Airdyne 20 minutes HIIT

Feeling good after yesterday's DE bench work. Still no pains in the hamstring. Did some HIIT work. I want to start stepping my conditioning back up a hence the HIIT instead of LISS airdyne.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING

Band leg curls 3x15
    Single leg dbl dl 10 3x8
    T Bar rows 90 3x8
    1/4 dips 3x8
    McGill Situps 3x10
    Bird Dogs 3x10

Got the OK from Brian to start back to work on lower body. Very limited work, but got through it without incident. Slow and steady right.

After that lackluster performance I was not really feeling crushing my extra upper body assistance work. However, I got it done. I think training first thing in the am did not help. Wanted to get it done before some New Year's Day plans.

Got my first and only crappy training session out of the way early.

THURSDAY'S TRAINING 1.2.13

Airydne 20 minutes LISS

Prior to the hamstring injury I had been switching up conditioning a fair amount. Since the injury I have stuck pretty much to the airdyne. I have noticed during LISS sessions my speed is increasing without really trying. This is a sign my conditioning is improving. It's good to notice the progress.

I can't remember where it was on facebook, but someone wrote resolutions are for the weak, goals are for the strong. I like that.

My immediate training goal is to bench 900 or more equipped at 275.

Long term 2014 training goal is to finish the year competing in some fashion as a 242.

Personal goal, procrastinate less. I plan on doing this by keeping a to do list and crossing off five or more things a week. Some of the things I'd like to do more of in 2014 are spending time with my parents, reading, staying on top of investments, charity, and skiing.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING

Foam roller upper and lower
    Blast strap circuit

Bench medium grip w/Metal Catapult 230/320/410/500x3, 550/600/625/650x1, 680x0, 680x1
    Inside grip incline bench 405 2x5, 405 1x4
    Tate Presses 50/55/50/65x12
    Seated fat v-bar row 150/200/250/300x8
    Seated dbl bent over lateral raises 15 3x15
    Dbl hammer curls 50 3x8

Friday training just keeps getting better and better. This was the first ME Bench of my 12 week cycle. I couldn't be happier. the hamstring is holding up perfectly to benching thus far.

I was really working on my form on the bench. Well as much as I could with the Catapult and a closer than comp grip. I can sometimes dip and heave as the weight comes in. It's not on purpose though. I could tell I really met the bar well with the 650. If flew. I was really surprised how easy it was considering it was a 10 lb pr. I looked at Brian on whether I should go up, he said he had a number in mind. I said "680?" and he nodded yes (680 sounds odd, but that's 7 plates for us as our bench bar is 50 lbs.

I have to hand it to Josh, he really stepped up and gave me awesome lift offs as Karsten was away in Brazil (hope he brings me back some interesting pictures). So the 680 felt good in my hands and then when I was getting to the bottom it felt off. Went half way and that was it. I knew I could get it though. So I took a few minutes and BANG! I hit it. Certainly a great way to start this training cycle off.

The inclines were with a pretty close grip for me. These really hit my triceps. They even hit a spot I'm not used to, my pecs. Now novel, a bench press hitting the pec muscles.

The rest of assistance work went great. I don't see any reason to change any of the exercises. These will stay the same for a month so I can track and ensure progress.

Strong! 650 was Fast!

Saturday - Tempo Recovery Circuit

Airdyne 40 second intervals alternating with upper and lower body dynamic stretches

This is a great way to combine conditioning and recovery.

SUNDAY'S TRAINING

Dynamic stretch lower

Safety Squat Bar 65/115/155/205/245x10
    Side/front/side planks 15 seconds each x 2

It has been 6 long weeks since I have squatted. Between getting ready for the strongman and then injuring my hamstring, it's been a while and it sure felt like it. The 245 even felt a tad challenging.

I was very calculated in my movement. I think it was probably taking me well over a minute to perform reps of 10. Gotta make sure I keep all the moving parts attached. I might have to reevaluate my plan of lower body dynamic work until I build a good enough foundation to move explosively again.

Hamstring and back held up though. That's pretty much all I could ask for.

MONDAY'S TRAINING

Warm up:
    Blast strap circuit x2
    Foam roll

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) w/short mini band 225 3x3, 235 3x3, 245 3x3
    Rev gr bar ext (reg grip) 135/185/225/255x6
    Rolling dbl ext 40/40/40/40/40x12
    Underhand pulldown 100/100/100/100/100x15
    Seated dbl lateral raise 20 3x15
    Preacher dbl curl 20 3x15

Second time around with upper dynamic of this 12 week cycle and I upped the work in all areas. I felt very good with one exception, my back was killing me.

No, this was not low disc pain from my prior injury. This was from the massive bruising I suffered walking out of the side door of my house on Sunday. We had an ice thing going on here in the east. I just stepped out to see how bad it was so I could go out and pick up a few groceries I needed.

I had just finished squatting for the first time in forever so I was feeling a little fragile. I took off my squat shoes and put on my slippers (advantage of training in your own basement). When I took one stride out the door onto a step, both feet were now directly parallel to the ground. My upper back and lower back each landed on a step as I crashed. Then my body slid a few feet down the walk.

I made some kind of awful groan as this happened and then just laid there for a few minutes. I had to assess the damage. Fortunately I have no neck and I think that may have saved my life otherwise my head would have hit the stone step with extreme force. After a few minutes I felt nothing was permanently damage except perhaps my pride (I really do hope someone got to witness this from their house). The indignity of it was I had to crawl into the snow to retrieve my slippers which were ejected off my feet in the crash. Then I got to crawl back into the house. There was no way I was trying to walk back in.

So every time I laid back on the bench for dynamic work I was quickly reminded of my fall. I have some pretty massive bruising and a little road rash from the skid for good measure.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING 1/8/14

Warmup:
    Blast strap circuit x1
    Foam roll

Sumo dl dbl overhand grip 135/185/225x10
    Bent over rows 135 3x10
    Overhead 1 arm dbl tri ext 30 3x10
    Barbell curl 45 1x20
    McGill Situps 3x15
    Bird Dogs 3x15

I was on a forum and people were talking about electric stim. It was so cool when I came to the realization that I have cut all that kind of stuff out, including weekly visits to the chiro. I never seemed to get better.

Now with regular conditioning, foam rolling, and dynamic stretching I feel pretty much better than ever. Of course I had the hamstring issue, but that got fixed doing the right thing also. Taking time, icing, heating, corrective exercises, and stretching took care of something I might have normally gone to a dr about.

So I am either doing a lot right or just exuding awesomeness. You decide.

Now, on to training. Glad to be back to deadlifting even though it was only 225. It's a place to start. I decided against my previous planned tbar rows. I forgot how much deadlifting hits your upper back. So I just went with light bent over rows seeing as the barbell was already out. Seriously, I sometime choose exercises based on the ease of setup. After all a row is a row.

The work was all light, but I did it really quickly. I was huffing and puffing a bit and had a sweat going in my basement which is pretty cold. With as hard as I have been training my bench, this really will be kept more or less of a light assistance day.

Alright, enough blathering. Have a good day all.

I may have missed it, you planning a full meet anytime or just training DL for lower assistance work? Everything looking good though man. Leg doing well?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I may have missed it, you planning a full meet anytime or just training DL for lower assistance work? Everything looking good though man. Leg doing well?
    Thx Mark. No, I am not presently getting ready for a full meet. However, it is a dream of mine. I'm just training it now for assistance in hopes that I can build to something I can try down the road. That said, I am not willing to debilitate myself to do it. I am starting to realize if my body is telling me it can't handle something, it's not lying.

Happy belated New Year Vincent. I hear you about that ice last Sunday, it was treacherous. Training looks great!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Tell us about the big PR news!!!!

THURSDAY'S TRAINING

20 minute walk with 40 lb weight vest

I am super excited to get in the bench shirt for Friday's training session. I wonder how I'll feel about it on Saturday. I have high expectations tonight. The plan is to take something pretty respectable raw with my comp grip. I have not used comp grip in forever and miss it like crazy.

After it's off to the shirt. I have three in my bag. Two Ace and one Jack. I think I am going to try to work with the loosest one tonight. I have done most of my best benching that way. I just really gangster the shirt and yank the collar down for the really heavy stuff. I guess I just always fall back into the concept that I should be wearing a tighter shirt.

Most of my best benches were in shirts that I can put on by myself with little effort. Then I see guys having to get stuffed into theirs. This is not a judgment on them. Heck I keep trying to do it. I sometimes wonder if my head holds me back and maybe I should be benching much more than I have been trying in those tight shirts. Funny thing is though, I hate tight shirts. Maybe that's what it takes though. So, tonight should be very interesting. Stay tuned.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 1/10/14

Blast strap circuit

Bench comp grip, worked up to 550x1
    Metal Ace 680/770x1, 860x0
    Metal Jack 680/770/860x1
    Inside grip incline bench 315/405/455x3
    Tate Presses 55/60/65/70x12
    Seated fat v-bar row 200/200/250/300x8
    Seated dbl bent over lateral raises 20 3x12
    Dbl hammer curls 45/50/55 3x8

I was so excited to train I packed my bag the night before. I put three shirts in there and I just needed to get one to work. I don't want to spend 12 weeks figuring out a shirt. I want to spend 12 weeks getting stronger.

My heart almost broke when Karsten texted that he couldn't make it. Evidently he crashed his car earlier that week. Seems his hoof is so big it hit the gas when he wasn't trying. Luckily he is his own air bag and didn't get hurt. So I figured the shirt was out. Then a few minutes later he texted his Dad hooked him up and let him borrow his ride. A quick smile spread across my face.

During warm ups, I tried something a little different. I did my blast strap circuit first. Truth be told I figured it would be easier to get my big ol' fat a$$ on the ground with the foam roller easier. To my pleasant surprise, I was correct.

OK, enough foreplay. I started off with raw bench. I wanted to work up to something decent. Truth be told I wanted to hit a 600, but it's been so long since I have used comp grip that it felt weird. 650 was awkward so I shut it down there. I am hitting an equipped meet next so raw is not my priority.

Started with my old 62 Ace. It went on easily. Interestingly, for a shirt that went on easily, I struggled to touch. 680 and 770 went well enough, but I could not lock 860. Part of it was that I let my air out at the bottom.

I was not happy with that performance so I wanted to give me original Metal Jack shirt a shot. Man, the groove just felt so natural and the weight felt like it was jumping off my chest. Seems to me I have found my shirt for my next meet.

Just wanted to say our crew has been killing it. It's so nice to have a group that helps and pushes each other. It's also invaluable to have a group you can trust when you are playing with that much weight. 5 out of 7 of us hit pr's that night. Good times.

Do you think incline bench has contributed much to your competition benches? I see it as a main accessory lift a lot of the time in your training and in the program you wrote that you have done in the past also.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Solid session, Vincent!
    Having a group that supports, motivates and pushes you is of the utter most importance.

Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Do you think incline bench has contributed much to your competition benches? I see it as a main accessory lift a lot of the time in your training and in the program you wrote that you have done in the past also.
    Yes, I think inclines are a big part of my growth as a bencher. I used to do lots of seated overhead rack lockouts, but the way I sat in the seat I just about made it an incline. Now I just skip that part and go straight to the incline. It keeps my shoulders strong while improving my bench. Now by doing them close grip they improve my lockout as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Solid session, Vincent!
    Having a group that supports, motivates and pushes you is of the utter most importance.
    So true. I sometimes forget how lucky I am.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yes, I think inclines are a big part of my growth as a bencher. I used to do lots of seated overhead rack lockouts, but the way I sat in the seat I just about made it an incline. Now I just skip that part and go straight to the incline. It keeps my shoulders strong while improving my bench. Now by doing them close grip they improve my lockout as well.
    Ok. Thanks. I have been seriously considering doing them more often next training cycle.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Good eliteftschat session tonight, was information regarding use of extra bars. Training looks solid too Vin,
    "Light Weight"

260's by May