The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 17 of 125 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    TJW
    Good luck at the meet tomorrow!

BOMB! Could not touch 820 on the first--strained my wrist. Went to 840 and touched but it took a long time and could not lock. Put the shirt where I wanted it and touched well and just missed locking out on the third.

I have become what I hate--a bench attempter. I am going to wear a looser shirt to get easy openers. Then I'll go with a tighter shirt. I also plan on getting an Inzer Super Duper Phenom 57 without grid stitching. The grid stitch might just be too much for me in that shirt.

Lastly, I am not taking advice from anyone for my next meet. I know what I need to do. I had all kinds of people in my ear at the meet telling me where to put the shirt, my elbows, etc. They all mean well, but I bench differently than most. I know what to do. I have to trust in myself. I am a little beat from this long training cycle and the two fairly close meets have me a little beat up. I may compete raw in three weeks just because. Then I will begin another training cycle for the middle of July. The plan will be a looser shirt. Some reps with lighter weight, high board/band/chain overload work and 5/3/1 raw assistance.

Thanks for the support everyone. It's been rough going, but I will never ever give up.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 03-08-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope the wrist isn't too beat up!

I completely understand you on the advice at a meet thing. People get so excited, they're pulling your collar down, telling you where to wear your belt, how fast to bring it down, where to put your feet, list goes on and on. It gets irritating and confusing.

You went into this meet though with NO expectations so don't beat yourself up too much. You knew you were learning some new things about the shirt and your technique so things would be dicy. So don't sweat it!

Seriously though? Two bombs in a row makes a person a "bench attempter"? Dang. I suck then. Bombs happen. I know you well enough to know that you didn't get into this sport because you wanted something easy to do, you wanted a challenge! So now is time to get it together and rise up to the challenge, which is what you're doing! You're learning something new each time. I've bombed before, and I'll bomb again I'm sure. But I'm telling you the honest truth when I say I learned more from my bombs than I did when I went 3/3

I'm pumped to hear you're doing a raw meet though! Go and have some fun! I've always found raw to be a really great way to clear my head. Kinda wipe the slate clean and then allow me to refocus on shirt training.

I look forward to seeing how things excel for you

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Travis, those words help more than you will ever know. Thanks. I needed that.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

TJW
    Sorry to hear about the meet. But cheer up, you will get it all figured out. You are still an inspiration to all of us on this board who look to you for motivation and knowledge. Keep up the hard work, but take care of that wrist.

-Rob

I know none of us will look at you with any less respect. You're a great bencher and an inspiration to many and that won't change a bit because of a couple of bombs. Your not a "bench attempter" in anyone's mind, things go wrong in this sport, especially at your level, you're trying things few people have the capacity to even think about. Best of all you are already looking foward to the next challenge, and that's a lesson we all can benefit from. SFW!

That sucks. Bombing sucks.

You know what to do boss. Just gotta do it. Time to stop listening to people and do what you do best. SFW!

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

You're still a hawty.
    Roll Tide.

vin is that the same wrist that u were feeling in feb.? sounds like u got a great plan for your next meet already. i like bigger shirts i feel i can control everything more and it is easier to touch, but my stroke is a mile long anyways. stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by scott rowe View Post
    vin is that the same wrist that u were feeling in feb.? sounds like u got a great plan for your next meet already. i like bigger shirts i feel i can control everything more and it is easier to touch, but my stroke is a mile long anyways. stay strong.
    Hey, you don't get to complain about that. Rhodes, Kenny, and I have it all taken care of.
    Roll Tide.

You will come back Big Vin. Dont know if you remember me from Bolex, you were a big help to me when I was starting out. You will hit it big next time you know what you need to do you'll make it happen.

Thanks guys. I have stepped back from the ledge and am back in the game. db, I totally remember you from Bolex. Glad I was able to help. I try.

3/9
    20 minute walk otuside

3/10
    mini workout
    band flies/face pulls/push downs--superset 3x20
    20 minutes treadmill
    10 minutes stretching with Stretch Out strap

Right shoulder and wrist have been bothering me. I have been taking Aleve and using DMSO. The light workout and stretching definitely helped. Looking forward to Friday's workout.

TJW
    Keep up the good work. Like you, I've been trying to add in some more cardio, even if it is only 10-15min because I notice how much better it makes me feel. Can't wait to see your workout Friday.

-Rob

STRENGTH FROM ABOVE
    hey Vin,,thank you for coming down to do our meet, the kids were super impressed with you and thought you were Soooooo nice (in their own words)lol....You amaze me with your strength and humility..GOD BLESS YOU,,and 900 will fall,

in HIS grip forever
    john
    Jeremiah 20:9
    But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

Sponsored by INZER

(StrengthFromAbove) EEBB D0m1n90's Avatar
    it wus awesome meeting you this past weekend @ the meet vinny
    Isaiah 9:2 The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
    on those living in the land of the shadow of death
    a light has dawned!

It was great meeting you this weekend.

It was awesome meeting everyone this weekend. There was so much positive energy there. I enjoyed seeing all of you and meeting the new up and comers. It's great seeing kids lift. Even though I did not get a lift in I had a great time. Saturday was what this sport is all about. You all made me feel so welcomed. Thanks.

3/11

No training today. Went to the moveis with my brother. Had a large popcorn with as much butter as I could get on it. Brought in some Hershey Nuggets also. We saw Paul Blart Mall Cop. It was cringetastic. I laughed my ass off. I needed it. I did do some work tonight...

10 minutes of stretching

3/12

10 minutes of stretching
    DMSO for my wrists and shoulders
    6 Aleve a day

I'm starting to feel a little better. One thing I am enjoying is taking a little time off from shakes. I just need a break. Man, am I hungry. My appetite is crazy. I enjoyed this week taking it easy, eating, stretching, training very little. I am psyched to train tonight. I'm toying with squatting and deadlifting on Sunday and then having a good shoulder, lat, bi, and tri assistance day on Tuesday. Rhodes reminded me that's what I used to do about 3-4 years ago. After I squat, bench, or deadlift heavy I don't feel like hitting assitance. If I do I just usally go through the motions. I guess I'll just see where the force takes me.

Also, Rhodes and I have been asked to put on a seminar in West Babylon, NY. Anyone interested please let me know.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 03-13-2009 at 10:12 AM.

3/13

raw bench 565x1 with a contest pause
    4 board close grip 405x20
    band pull aparts/push downs/face pulls/hammer curl--superset 3x20

The weight went well, but my shoulder felt very banged up. I also had some weird hip pain. My legs always feel screwed up when I take time off from the squat or deadlift. I have not done either in two weeks because of competing last weekend. Look like lots of ice and the massage stick this week.

3/14

My wife went outside to drag the sled. I felt shamed so I grabbed 100lb farmers handles and went 150' with one turn. It wasn't much, but it was something.

The wife conned me into a 20 minute walk outside also. She is a crafty one.

vinny,
    I have some questions for ya can you email me danforth@hushmail.com

3/15

SSB box squats 335x5, 385x3, 425x1
    Superset curls x10 with calf raises x20 3 sets
    Superset cruches x10 with band gm's x10 3 sets

Contrast shower