The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 20 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

good work!

Impressive stuff in here man, definitely a source of inspiration! Keep it up!
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey Vincent! It was cool meeting you at Matt and the guys meet up in Tribes Hill. You made my wife Theresa's day by commenting on her guns. She was stoked. On the ride home she wished she had come back with a comment about your back and traps. She was highly impressed. Hope we can come down for a bench session soon and we can take you guys out for some post workout nutrition at Momma Mina's. Take care -SEAN

Hey bro, Just curious because it's not listed and you don't make mention of how many people you eat in one week?LOL. Your a Monster bro, great journal.
    Excuses or results you cant have both.

Training Journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120147

Vidshttp://www.youtube.com/user/gonzawr

Oh Vincent.
    Well you came and you gave without taking.
    But I sent you away, oh Vincent.
    Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking.
    And I need you today, oh Vincent.
    Roll Tide.

Thanks everyone, it's really cool the response I get from here. I really enjoy this sport, giving back, and hanging out with everyone.

Sean, I look forward to a great bench session and great eats with you and your wife.

Beast, not as many since I got married. I do however eat around 5500 calories daily.

4/14
    DE Bench
    -Speed bench 95 3x3, 145 3x3, 195 3x3
    -Barbell tricep extensions 145 3x6
    -Seated shoulder press 145x6, 195x6, 235x6
    -Bent over barbell rows 145x10, 195 2x10
    -Dumbell curls 25 3x10

*I used 3 varying grips on every exercise but the curls.

Went very light today as it was my first workout back in over two weeks. Everything felt good. I still have a small twinge in my pec, but I am getting that straight. It was good just to get under weight again. I don't plan on competing until August so I am going to take this first few weeks back slow.

I am also experimenting with raising my head when I bench. I was watching a lot of guys doing it at a meet and I am wondering if it would allow me to use my shoulders more. Only time will tell.

It's good to be back!
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-15-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

well i hope the pec heals on up.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

ct strongman
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Thanks everyone, it's really cool the response I get from here. I really enjoy this sport, giving back, and hanging out with everyone.

Sean, I look forward to a great bench session and great eats with you and your wife.

Beast, not as many since I got married. I do however eat around 5500 calories daily.

4/14
    DE Bench
    -Speed bench 95 3x3, 145 3x3, 195 3x3
    -Barbell tricep extensions 145 3x6
    -Seated shoulder press 145x6, 195x6, 235x6
    -Bent over barbell rows 145x10, 195 2x10
    -Dumbell curls 25 3x10

*I used 3 varying grips on every exercise but the curls.

Went very light today as it was my first workout back in over two weeks. Everything felt good. I still have a small twinge in my pec, but I am getting that straight. It was good just to get under weight again. I don't plan on competing until August so I am going to take this first few weeks back slow.

I am also experimenting with raising my head when I bench. I was watching a lot of guys doing it at a meet and I am wondering if it would allow me to use my shoulders more. Only time will tell.

It's good to be back!
    Good stuff Vinny. How long of a break is Rhodes taking after his meet. 14 days of not training and binging on microwave pizzas seems realistic....

Quote Originally Posted by nakeough View Post
    Good stuff Vinny. How long of a break is Rhodes taking after his meet. 14 days of not training and binging on microwave pizzas seems realistic....
    He will be in on Friday.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Oh Vincent.
    Well you came and you gave without taking.
    But I sent you away, oh Vincent.
    Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking.
    And I need you today, oh Vincent.
    You make Peppers seem normal.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-15-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

4/16

20 minute walk outside
    Tire flip 3x5

4/17

Could not wait to get back to a ME Bench day

Bench w/2 chainsx10, w/6 chainsx10, w/10 chainsx5, 10 chains +135 x 2, 10 chains +185 x 2, 10 chains +225 x 2. 10 chains +275 x 2, 10 chains +315 x 1, 10 chains +365 x 1, 10 chains +385 x 1

Bench w/ loose Inzer Super Duper Phenom 495 to 3 boardx1, 585 to chest x1, 675 to chest x1

Face pulls 80x15, 90x15, 100x15

Fat man pullups 3x10

Reverse curls with oly curl bar +20x10. +40 2x10

Damn, I felt great tonight. Those two plus weeks off did wonders. I still felt a slight twinge in my right pec, but hardly noticeable. I lifted my head on both the raw and shirted work. I was able to stay tighter than ever with my raw. It also helped me bring the bar lower with the shirt. I am going to run this for about a month and then evaluate. The shirt work was for fun. I could have touched 495 with that shirt. It's so loose. However, I snapped the lockouts on each set and was able to try lifting the head without 800+ on the bar to touch so it served its purpose.

I could have gone heavier on the raw with chains, but I am just testing the waters for the first few weeks back. My goals in the workouts are to not miss, take smaller jumps, and get more volume. I am psyched to be back under the bar.

As if tonight could not have getten any better, when I got home my new flat bench was here for my basement gym. I hate benching on my incline/flat utility bench. It sucks. Now I am going to really be focusing on some good DE work.

Oh yeah, I took a nice contrast shower. It felt great. Now I am off to eat a natural peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich and have a Nitrean shake. Good times!

You looked sextra hawt tonight. I killed a fresh tin in my pre and post training lips.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    You looked sextra hawt tonight. I killed a fresh tin in my pre and post training lips.
    Ah Skoal, my long lost friend. It is because you dip that I am your enemy.

Glad to see you back big guy!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Glad to see you back big guy!
    Thanks, it's good to be back.

4/18
    Extra workout--recovery
    mini band superset x 3
    chest press x 20
    single arm tri ext x 15
    single arm curls x 10
    rows x 15

20 minute walk outside.

I am sore as heck today. I was going to drag the sled for recovery, but I put together the new bench in the basement today. I figured while I was down in the gym and the bands were left setup, why not hit an extra workout for recuperation.

Cheated pretty badly on eating today. I'll get back to eating right tomorrow.

4/19

Was feeling sick today. I skipped squats and deads. I feel like a complete weenie.

4/20

I took my rottie for our 20 minute walk outside. All I kept thinking about was what a bitch I was for not squatting yesterday especially when I have a gym in my basement. So I interrupted my wife's workout and did 3 sets of 20 squats with 155 in about 5 minutes time. I know it was ver light and it's not a full workout, but I feel a little better about myself. I'm sure my quads will not be happy about this tomorrow. High rep stuff is for the birds.

4/21

DE Bench
    Speed bench 105+4 chains 3x3, 145+4 chains 3x3, 195+4 chains 3x3
    Rolling dumbell tricep extensions 50 3x10
    One arm seated overhead dumbell press 100 3x10
    One arm dumbell rows 100 3x10
    Cable curls 20 3x10

Had to work late today which I never do. So I trained two hours later and was kind of on an empty stomach. I hit this one hard and fast. I completed the entire workout in less than an hour which is a good pace for me. Also, I almost never use dumbells so some of those exercises were challenging for me. I almost puked.

I went right up to the kitchen after the workout and carbed up. After that I took a contrast shower Then I went to Subway for 3 footlongs.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-21-2009 at 07:30 PM.

4/22

Oh boy, I f'd up my back this morning. I usually have my beloved wife help me with my socks and shoes in the morning. I take a while to warm up in the morning so doing that myself can be dangerous. Anyway, my left IT Band has been feeling very tight, but I decided to put my socks on myself because we were running late and the little lady was still walking our dog. I hoisted my left kankle on to my right knee. I could not quite get there by just leaning forward so I gave another hard lunge, well I heard some type of crunching noise and felt my back completely spasm. Serves me right for doing womens work.

A little later, while I remain in agony, I called Dr. Rhodes. He reminded me about a year ago my back went into complete spasm on a bench night. The guys literally had to help me into my truck so I could get home. Matt thought I'd be out for a while. I was back within a week. I'm hoping the for the same result here. Also, this is why it's good to bounce things off of training partners, we kind of realized the one armed motions of the dumbell shoulder press and dumbell rows probably helped to tighten my back up. At my advanced age I try to stay away from exercises that hurt me. This is why I don't use dumbells. Why could I not have remembered this yesterday.

Anyway, I type this in a lot of pain. I can't wait to get home and self medicate. I need to get it together for ME bench on Friday.

I think it's time for one of Kenny's "Don't make any plans" pills.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-22-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Damn I havent been over her in a little while...nice benching Vin!

Sorry to hear about your back....leave those exercises alone from now on....and the socks too! lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Damn I havent been over her in a little while...nice benching Vin!

Sorry to hear about your back....leave those exercises alone from now on....and the socks too! lol
    Thanks Paul. I'm excited about training again. Good times!

4/24/09

ME Bench

Floor press 95x10, 165x5, 185x2, 225x2, 275x2, 315x2, 315x2, 365x2, 405x1. 455x1, 495x1, 525x1
    Floor press with log 170x10, 260x10, 350x10 (guesstimating log and collar weight)
    Fat man pullups 3x10
    Band pull aparts mini 3x10
    Dumbell hammer curls 30 3x10

Video

I had a really good workout tonight. Especially considering my back got trashed on Wednesday. I did not even think I was going to be able to lift tonight. Also, this is like pre training cycle training.

I really like raising my head while taking the weight down and then pushing it back on the way up. I take weight tighter than I ever had before. I had a habit of dropping weight and then heaving it. It also focused me on keeping my belly up more than ever before. I'm sure I recommended against this is the past. I'm such a hypocrite.

I also focused on using no leg drive. The last time I floor pressed a couple of years ago I think I did so with bent knees and my feet flat on the ground for some push.

Lastly, the monolift is in the new gym. It's pretty much complete. We had a really good vibe going tonight. Well, except for DD pouting about a few misses on the bench. He should have been smart and lifted with the big boys on the floor.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-24-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Oh yeah, congrats to our boy Kenny who hit 500 raw tonight. Well, supposedly. He stayed in Strong Island, NY tonight so we did not see it. Things that make you go hmmmm?

Touchť pussycat touchť. I told you I hit the pin at lockout so I donít consider this a good lift. Iíll hit for you and the boys in four weeks. Until then overload overload overload.
    Their are two types of people, those who make progress and those who make excuses. SFW

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Well, except for DD pouting about a few misses on the bench. He should have been smart and lifted with the big boys on the floor.
    **** IT! I'm going on the HAWT-Cenzo bench plan.
    Roll Tide.