The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 27 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    6/26

-20 minutes on treadmill
    -10 minutes stretching

Groin is feeling ok today. I'll let my wife check it later and she can tell me how it feels to her. The treadmill was a little brutal today. At my increased density walking is very difficult. I made it a point not to grab the handrails for the full 20 minutes. I thought my back was going to explode. Fortunately for me it did not.

ME bench tomorrow with doiubled mini bands--can't wait!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

6/27

-Bench with doubled mini bands worked up to 495x1
    -4 board bench close grip 405x3, 495x3, 586x3
    -Fat man pullups 2x10
    -Blast strap scarecrows 2x10
    -Rope curls 20x10, 30x10, 40x10, 50x10
    -Band pushdowns 3x20

This was a very good workout.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

6/29

Jacked my neck up badly from what I have no idea. No lifting or conditioning for the past two days. I'll take tomorrow off also in hopes of feeling better for Tuesday's assistance day. I have not been drinking shakes for the past two days. I feel like a slug.

Did you eat a bad corndog?
    Roll Tide.

prolly jacked your neck up from sleeping wrong...thats when I usually get hurt lol

Nice work lately Vin! Lookin strong..
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Oh, I did post your video on Youtube.

Video
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    prolly jacked your neck up from sleeping wrong...thats when I usually get hurt lol

Nice work lately Vin! Lookin strong..
    Neck is about 80% right now. I just have to be smart and rest. Maybe it's just because my head is so humongous. Maybe I need one of those halo things.

Thanks for the comment about my training. It's going as well as I could hope for at my advanced age. I came to a great conclusion about training with the help of my partners, get your ME work in and the rest will take care of itself. After I push the limits on ME, I pick a few assistance exercises and hit them hard and fast. No need to overthink things anymore.

7/1

Neck is still not perfect, but I can't wait anymore

-20 minutes treadmill
    -10 trips with sled 75' each

I'm back in the game. Exercise and shakes in the same day. Alright here's the goal for July; 3 days a week training, 2 days cardio, 2 days gpp. No skipping of shakes for the entire month. When I say no skipping, I mean I cannot go a day without my shakes. I may take a little less some days than others, but I will make those cals up with food. I will at the very least get my Results in and 100gms of protein from Nitrean and Maximus (most days will be 150).

7/2

-20 minutes on treadmill
    -2x20 medicine ball wall tosses

7/3

ME Bench-Deload

-Speed bench 315 3x8
    -Blast strap fat man pullups (inverted rows) 2x10
    -Blast strap tri extensions 2x20
    -Blast strap scare crows 2x10
    -Blast strap curls 3x10

That was it. A nice easy night. I did not want to get off the bench for deload and I really did not want to do rep work. Since I am not doing DE anymore, I thought it would be good for a deload. Everyone thought my speed was pretty sick. The work was done.

Brian and Rhodes both tried to help me out with my neck. Rhodes has this traction contraption which works well. He was nice enough to let me borrow it. My wife had fun yanking on it this morning, oh yeah then she helped me with the traction thing.

Everyone lifted well last night. Rhodes is working his block periodization. DD figured out he likes his bench shirt pulled up on his shoulders. Josh is learning the importance of technique (when form is good weight is light and when it's bad you lift like crap). He put it together and got a good solid bench in. Brian, got himself a new Inzer Super Duper Phenom and it fits perfect. He is able to groove so well with that shirt. He will be nailing pr's soon.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-04-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    =My wife had fun yanking on it this morning, oh yeah then she helped me with the traction thing.
    I've never actually laughed out loud when I've read something on the computer screen before, that some gold! Hahaha.

Your training looks like its been going very well! Good to see your getting your gpp/diet back on track too, I can see it being very easy to do when your trying to get in over 300g of protein a day!

Glad you liked that one Risk.

7/4

-20 minutes treadmill
    -2x20 medicine ball wall tosses

7/6

-20 minutes treadmill
    -Bodyweight squats 10x10
    -5 minutes inversion table

My neck got jammed up after benching Friday night. It is getting better, but I want it 100% so I skipped squatting and deadlifting again yesterday. I felt a little guilty that's why I did the 100 squats. I have chiro and massage tomorrow. I will probably only do a light band workout instead of my usual upper assistance. I want to be able to squat in two weeks when I head out to Elite with Rhodes and DD. Most importantly I want to be able to give my 8/8 meet everything I have. I can't keep this weight on much longer.

I'm up to 321-322. That's up 6 lbs in 3 weeks. The only thing I have really changed is that I have added the AtLargeNutrition Mass Stack. God I can't wait to get down to 280.

7/7

-ss band crossovers and rolling dumbell tricep ext 3x20
    -ss band rows and dumbell curls 3x20

Just wanted to get a little work in. I feel like such a puss. I hope Billy Mimnaugh does not read my log because he will abuse me. I'm trying to get my neck and groin well, while getting a little work in, yet maintaining quality ME benching. It's been a fine line, but I think I am doing it.

I did some neck traction today at home. Then I went off to massage and chiro. Massage was good, what can I say, I love massage. The chiro was new to me so I let him take a crack at me--literally. I usually don't like adjustment, I just go for traction, but I figured I'd let him try. He was a little guy with a very thick Asian accent. Communicating was fun for us. He did not have an easy time working on me. It was pretty funny. All in all I think he did a great job. My neck is sore, but not in pain if that makes any sense. He said that would happen and that I should ice. I shall do so later.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-07-2009 at 03:30 PM.

do you do mobility drills for your neck? There are a lot of good ones out there if you search around.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    do you do mobility drills for your neck? There are a lot of good ones out there if you search around.
    I will check that out. Thanks.

I should be wearing a halo.

7/8

-20 minutes treadmill
    -2x21 medicine ball wall tosses
    -Neck traction

Went to Manhattan for lunch today. Walking in the city blows. It was a nice cool day today for the summer. I was sweating like an animal and thought my low back was going to explode. I need a Little Rascal.

7/9

No cardio or gpp today. I like taking the day off before ME bench. Still felt a little guilty. I made sure to do some neck traction. I'm getting better everyday.

7/10

ME Bench
    -Bench all sets with 10 chains 405/455/475 x 1
    -3 board close grip 495/585 x 1, 405 x 20
    -Fat man pullups 2x10
    -Band pullaparts 2x10
    -Strap pushdowns 70 2x20
    -Dumbell hammer curls 25 3x10

For whatever reason this was a brutal workout. I think I had 495 with the chains in me, but I was torn between that and sticking with the plan I had in my head for 475. I wanted to go for a pr on board presses, but after I took the 585 I knew 640 would not happen so I dropped down to 405 for 20. Yeah, that was not fun either.

I completely jacked up my neck and back benching. I went to the chiro for adjustments on Friday. Note to self, no chiro on training days. Also, no more adjustments. They always screw me up. PT, massage, and stretching--that's it!

7/11

Extra workout-recuperation
    -ss band chest presses 3x20 with band overhead tri ext 3x15
    -ss band rows 3x20 with dumbell curls 15 3x10
    -neck traction

I think the neck and back will feel good enough to squat at Elite this weekend. I'm excited for Meathead Sleepaway Camp.

Oooo! I hope you take a video camera! I love seeing you guys banter, it would be cool to see some squats too!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Oooo! I hope you take a video camera! I love seeing you guys banter, it would be cool to see some squats too!
    My neck and back are both still jacked up, it would be stupid to squat. That being said I'm not always the brightest bulb. I think it will be a game time decision.

7/12

-Neck traction
    -100 bodyweight squats

7/13

-20 minutes treadmill
    -medicine ball wall tosses 2x23
    -neck traction

7/15

-ss blast strap push ups w/ tri extensions 2x10
    -ss blast strap pull ups w/ scare crows w/ curls 2x10
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Sorry, I have gotten a little behind on my log. Headed out to Ohio to train with the EliteFTS guys. Went with Rhodes and DD. We had a great time. The facility is second to none. We stayed at Wendler's house again. I feel bad, we always leave his house smelling like fat guys. His girl Leigh-An rocks. She always takes good care of me. She is also a great lifter She pulled 425 for a double if I'm not mistaken.

7/18

-Spider bar box squats (The bar weighs a ton, I counted it as 75lbs) 165x5m 255x5, 345x5, 435x5, 525x5

They all felt really light. I shut it down there becuase of my neck. After that I helped run the rack for Frey, Jordan, McMillan, Schwab, Pegg, and some others including--yes--Karsten. He hit a nice pr and just had to go again for a "take it, take it, take it" moment. I was incredibly impressed by Frey. He is strong and technical. His command of weights is up there with the best I have ever seen. He will do some very sick things before he is done.

7/19

-Bench w/doubled monster mini bands 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 405x1, 475x1 525x1
    -3 board close grip 495x10, med grip 515x10
    -Fat man pullups 2x10
    -Band face pulls 2x10
    -Band pushdowns 2x20
    -Band curls 2x20

Here are some of my lifts from the UGSS:
    Video

My bench was a pr. I know I had more in me. It was much easier than I expected, but then again it should be. I have put the damn work in. The 495 for 10 on 3 board was a joke. After that they had put a hundred lb plate on each side so I took 515 for a ride for 10 after that. Well, my central nervous system freaked out after that. I began wretching and dry heaving all the way out the door. There were photographers, trainers, and other spectators that ran for cover. Someone told Leigh-An they thought I was dying outside. She was a sweetie and poured cold water all over me. I guess I'm ready.

So my workouts have been pretty easy going and light other than my ME bench. I freak out about it a little, but Frey helped me put things in perspective. We agreed that if I had to build my strength in the last few weeks before a meet I'm f'd. I worked my ass off for 12 weeks prior (more like a decade) and now I just have to keep myself in a good place and peak. The CT crew has definitely helped me with that.

Dave was a great host. All the guys were great. I enjoy these weekends just about as much as any vacation I go on. Good times.

7/21

-20 minute walk outside

7/22

-Blast strap push ups 2x10
    -Blast strap tri ext 2x10
    -Blast strap fat man pullups 2x10
    -Blast strap scare crows 2x10
    -Blast strap curls 2x10

I did the whole thing in about 10 minutes. I was out of breath and pumped. Two feelings I do not enjoy. Gotta keep the body movine.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-23-2009 at 02:12 PM.