The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 52 of 125 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3106
    2/12/10

Friday

Warmup
    -Softball roll upper body
    -Therapy stick lower body
    -Indian club swings 6x10
    -SS 2x10 blast strap push ups/blast strap pullups/bodyweight squats
    -Medicine ball slams x10

Training
    -Close grip bench, bar x30, 135x10, 225x5, 340x5, 395x5, 440x4
    -Incline bench 225x10, 315x10
    -Barbell ext 135x10, 225x10
    -Military press 135x10, 225x10
    -Key press 50x10, 60x10
    -Face pulls 70x10, 80x10

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Good stuff! When is your next meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Good stuff! When is your next meet?
    Thanks. I won't be competing again until 7/24. I'll be in the shirt again and will be in the 275 class.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

2/16/10

Conditioning
    -20 minute walk outside
    -30 minutes shoveling snow
    -Tabata 4 minutes heavy bag work punches/knees/elbows/kicks
    -30 minutes shoveling snow

Jess and I have spent most of the past 5 days cleaning out the basement and redoing the gym. It's been a lot of work. I have cheap equipment, I bought it a few years back before I knew any better. Note to anyone thinking of putting a gym in their house, invest in good equipment. The first thing we had to do was toss out about ten contractor bags worth of crap we don't need taking up space. Then we had to move the entire gym to the other side of the basement. Then I spent a lot of time cutting, drilling, adding holes to my rack, securing my cheapo pulldown/row machine to a beam in the ceiling, cutting stall mats for flooring, scraping old paint. Jess cleaned everything down, which I don't think has happened since the stuff has been down there.

Anyway, the point of this is, I don't know how people perform manual labor and compete in powerlifting. My body is shot. My knees, hands, feet, and low back are killing me. Basically, my whole body is beat up. I completely blew off training because I did not have it in me. This was all during the time Jess and I had a little time off from school. Not to mention Valentine's day. We worked on the basement gym, what a charmer I am. I'm a lucky man.

I was also kind of off my diet a little. I was off shakes for a few days and enjoyed a few cheat meals. So I figured for the rest of this week I'm going to get my diet back in order and work on conditioning. I'll get my body back in nice working order. I'll get back to the weights Saturday when I head up to TPS-Total Performance Sports, outside of Boston to train with Rhodes.

If anyone wants to come to the training day please do so. It's this Saturday, 2/20 at 12:00. They have everything there for powerlifting and strongman. I'm going to hit some raw bench, but there will be guys in their shirts too. If you want to squat, dl, or do some of that crazy strongman stuff, that's cool too. It's just an excuse for like minded people to get together and move some heavy stuff. It's $20 for an afternoon of sweating, training, learning, and getting to hang out with Matt Rhodes. Hope to see you there. Call Rhodes at TPS with any questions. 617-387-5998
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-16-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Last week I included the snow shoveling with my cardio/gpp work. It can be quite the workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    nice work in here brother.
    Will you be at the SPF Iron house Classic?
    Thanks Ryan. No Iron House for me. I was not planning on competing until July, but I might hit the UPA BB4Cash in April. Is the Iron House next for you?

2/17-2/18

Wednesday

Conditioning
    -30 minute walk outside

Thursday
    -25 minute walk outside with 34 lb. weight vest
    -Tabata 4 minutes pulldown/lunges/crunches/pushups

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Last week I included the snow shoveling with my cardio/gpp work. It can be quite the workout.
    It sure it. Just a year ago my wife would not let me shovel the driveway. She was afraid it would give me a heart attack. I used to sit on the front steps with the dog and watch her shovel. I would get the greatest looks from the neighborhood husbands. Ah, the good ol' days.

On March 6th I'm hitting the beach to take a nice cold dip in the ocean to raise money for the Special Olympics. Please donate if you can. I know times are tough, it does not have to be much. Any little bit helps. Please click the link to check it out. Thanks so much.

http://soct.convio.net/goto/VincentDizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Thanks Ryan. No Iron House for me. I was not planning on competing until July, but I might hit the UPA BB4Cash in April. Is the Iron House next for you?
    Not for me, but I have a bunch of guys here doing it. I will be there helping them.
    I think I might do a full raw meet next.
    I hear Bill puts on some great meets, have fun and kick ass.

Hey Vinnie! You do a lot of conditioning. It obviously works for you (congrats on the big benches!), I may have to start doing more. If you don't mind me asking here, I saw a post where you mentioned you cut an inch or two off of a shirt with longer sleeves. Did you have the sleeve re-heamed or just leave it with the cut sleeve ends? I've got to shorten my Titan Prototype to get it on legal and don't want to lose the time to send it back if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Buddy McKee
    Last edited by mastermonster; 02-19-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: More info.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    Hey Vinnie! You do a lot of conditioning. It obviously works for you (congrats on the big benches!), I may have to start doing more. If you don't mind me asking here, I saw a post where you mentioned you cut an inch or two off of a shirt with longer sleeves. Did you have the sleeve re-heamed or just leave it with the cut sleeve ends? I've got to shorten my Titan Prototype to get it on legal and don't want to lose the time to send it back if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Buddy McKee
    Thanks Buddy. Yeah, I'm really high on conditioning. I actually like doing it now, and really enjoy the results. Regarding the shirt, the only shirts I have cut are my Metal Ace shirts. It's not a problem with that shirt. A lot of guys do it. I have never seen anyone do it with any other shirt though. I'd be curious for someone to do it with another shirt.

Thanks Vinnie. I've been folding them so far and don't like how that's feeling. If I decide to cut them I'll let you know how it worked on this shirt. Thanks again!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

2/19/10

Friday

Conditioning
    -Tabata 4 minutes, jump rope

Just went to the gym to help the guys out. I'm glad I did because Drew hit a pr 315 raw bench. He did not even tell anyone before hand. I asked him after he went "What's your raw pr?" He said "You just saw it." Now that's how you do it. Well done Drew!

2/20/10

Saturday

Warm up
    -SS pushups/fat man pullups/bodyweight squats 3x10
    -Rolled pecs, triceps, and shoulders with softball and legs with therapy stick
    -Indian club swings 4x10
    -Medicine ball slams x10

Training
    -Bench bar x40, 135x10, 225x5, 315x3, 405x1, 495x1
    Put on size 66 Metal Ace Bench Shirt
    2 board 585x1
    1 board 675x1
    To chest 730x0, 730x1
    -Military press 135x10, 225x10
    -Rolling dumbell tri ext 40x15, 6x15

Recuperation
    -Contrast shower

Alright, so I did not make it a month without gear, only three weeks. I am thinking about competing at the UPA BB4Cash this April. My mentor Bill Crawford is reported to be competing. I'd like to jump on the platform with him. I'm just going to train like I'm training for my July meet. My goal is to break in and learn a size 60 Ace for that meet. So, I'm just going to treat that weekend like a heavy training day. No pressure. I'm just going to compete for fun.

Considering, it's 275 and up for the meet, I'm going to do a little bit of a bulk. I'm 285 right now. I'd like to gain about 1 lb. a week until the meet. I'm just going to up my protein, take a creatine drink, and few more clean calories everyday. It will be nice to have a little break from cutting. I'm currently down 40 lbs. However, I'll keep up all conditioning work.

Ok, back to training. I had the great pleasure of heading back up to MA to train at Total Performance Sports. I had a nice ride with Cristin, and Josh the serial killer, or maybe he's the cereal killer. He is getting kinda big. Everything felt good for me, but when I got to 730 to the chest in my loose shirt. I just felt like I could not get the shirt feeling right. So, of course, I missed it. I drove it back into the rack. I could not go home like that, so I took it again and hit it. It was a bit of a grinder at the top for me, but it's a 5 lb. pr in that shirt, so I'm happy. It was a marathon session with so many people benching so I only got a little assistance in afterwards.

It was a really fun time. These training days are great. Murph was an excellend host as always. It was great to see him on the bench again. It's always a blast catching up with old friends and meeting up with some new blood. There were powerlifters, strongmen, and men and women who just wanted to get strong.

I did see a bunch of bad habits. Boys and girls, if you want to get better you have to get with some more knowledgeable lifters. You need to listen, be consistent, and be patient. Driz, you'd better be more patient next time.

Thanks to Jimmy "Bullfrog" for a little gift he gave me and for having a younger brother named Matt who I could pick on. Thanks to Keith and Steve who helped a lot. My only complaint was eating breakfast with Carlos. This is a hint to all you people under 200 lbs. When you go out with the big boys, EAT MORE! There is no need to itemize a meal check. You split it among the number of people there. Anything less is uncivilized.

Oops, I almost forget to mention how great it was to see Rhodes' better half Libby and that's not just because she brought some very tasty homemade rice krispy treats. She looks great especially considering she's been with Matt so long. I think each year with him counts 7 years, kind of like dog years.

2/21/10

Sunday

Conditioning
    -Treadmill 20 minutes speed and incline interval
    -Tabata 4 minutes underhand pulldowns/jumping jacks/crunches/renegade rows

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    2/19/10

Friday

Conditioning
    -Tabata 4 minutes, jump rope

Just went to the gym to help the guys out. I'm glad I did because Drew hit a pr 315 raw bench. He did not even tell anyone before hand. I asked him after he went "What's your raw pr?" He said "You just saw it." Now that's how you do it. Well done Drew!
    Thanks bud. Felt good to finally get that one.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

2/22/10

Monday

Training
    -SSB seated good mornings barx10, 85x10
    -Band side bends 2x15
    -SSB box squats barx5, 155x5, 245x3, 335x4, 385x4, 425x3
    -RDL's 105x10, 145x10
    -Step ups 2x10
    -Calf raises 2x15
    -Gripstick 3x20

2/23/10

Tuesday

Conditioning
    -Treadmill 15 minutes speed and incline intervals
    -Tabata 4 minutes band push presses/push ups/blast strap scare crows/blast strap tri extensions

2/24/10

Wednesday

Training
    -Trap bar deadlift upper handles 135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3
    -Band assited pullups nuetral grip 2x10
    -Tbar row 90x10, 135x10
    -Shrugs 135 2x15
    -One arm cable curl 20 2x10
    -Hammer curls 55 2x10

Recuperation
    -Contrast shower

2/26/10

Thursday

Conditioning
    -Treadmill 20 minutes speed intervals
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-28-2010 at 03:33 PM.

2/26/10

Friday

Warm up
    -Rolled upper with softball, lower with therapy stick
    -SS pushups/blast strap fatman pullups/bodyweight squats
    -Medicine ball slams x10

Training
    -Bench *all with doubled mini bands* bar x10, 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 405x1 add 66 Ace and 2 board 495x1, 1 board 585x1, to chest 635x1
    -4 board bench 405x9, 405x11
    -Blast strap pushups 2x10
    -Arnold dumbell press 50x10, 60x10
    -Pushdowns 80 2x10
    -Face pulls 80 2x15

Recuperation
    -Iced pec/shoulder 20 minutes

I felt really tired and never real got warm for this workout. Everything felt heavy. I look back now and notice I left jumping jacks out of my warmups, I wonder if that could have made a difference. Anyway, I got my work in. My full range stuff is going perfectly. I am really mastering my groove. Also, my lockout is really improving pushing against bands. Where I'd miss a lift a few years ago, I'm able to push through to lockout now.

When you do Tabata do you do 4 minutes for each of your four excersizes or do you rotate them so you do one excersize 20 sec. 10 sec rest. 2nd excersize 20 sec. 10 sec. rest and so on so you end up doing each exercise twice in the 4 minutes?
    Division 1 shotputter.

Wannabebig Member
    Awesome numbers. I see you're in CT too. Where do you train?
    Last edited by RalphL; 03-02-2010 at 11:50 PM.