The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    great to see your strength to going through the roof. Awesome!

Vincent.. This is a great journal mate, hoping your going to start posting in here again!
    Numbers are amazing!

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Bump.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Alright everyone sorry for my absence. I had quite a knee problem in the fall. Turns out a lot of it had to do with a back injury and some nerve trouble. I have been just about 100% for a month now. I have the IPA's in June for bench and my first NAS strongman in July. So here we go.

4/25 ME bench bodyweight 301

Bench w/belt and wraps only 135x5. 225x4, 315x1, 315x1, 405x1, 495x1, 575x1, 405x10

Pulldowns using v-bar 5x10

Curls w/curl bar and chains 3x10

Felt great on the bench. I have not attempted a raw ME bench since last June and I was close to 30lbs heavier. The 575 went well and I had more than 10 in me with the 405. I stopped there with both of those because this was really supposed to be a deload week. Next week I try to start figuring out how to use a Double Rage X. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-26-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Sick work on the Bench
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Great to have you updating again Vin! I am glad you have recovered.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

575 is an awesome bench man. was that raw or did you use wrist wraps?

23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Nice work Vin. You're the only person I know who would bench 575 raw on a deload week.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Vin you are just ridiculous!!! 575 is awesome! Keep up the nice work man

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thanks guys. I have had a string of good workouts. I guess that's why Saturday happened.

4/26 Squat/Strongman

Squat w/belt and wrist wraps 145x5, 235x4, 325x3, 415x2 I got on my toes and strained my groin. I have a lot going on with the nerves in that area. I was told it is all related to my back which is what screwed up my knee. My body is a mess so I shut squats down after that.

Axle clean and press 110x5, 160x3, 200x2, 220x1, 240x1 I am still learning on this exercise. My hands are small so gripping the thick axle bar blows for me. Too bad I can't grip what I can press.

Axle deadlift 200x5, 290x3, 380x1, 430x1, 470x0 Damnit! As soon as I began to pull it I felt the tendon in my under grip, right hand, begin to snap. I am all too familiar with this feeling. I completely tore my left deadlifting a few years ago. After almost two days of rest, ice, compression, elevation, and ibupfrofin I think I might be ok. There appears to be minimal swelling and no bruising. The difference between this time and last time was that this actually hurt. When I completelely ruptured the tendon there was no pain at all. So I guess the pain is a good thing.

If I am lucky enought to get off with just some rest, massage, and ibupfrofin I know what I have to do next. I can never attempt to deadlift until I can fully supinate my hands. My flexibility is so bad that I cannot even fully grip a cambered bar. I am going to start some light stretching this week only that which will be pain free.

I am not sure to what extent this will throw off my competition plans for this summer. I will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-28-2008 at 05:47 AM.

It's great to you postng your logs again, I had to read it twice when I saw the words squat and deadlift in your log, LOL
    sponsored by Anderson powerlifting (Titan gear) AtLarge nutrition and APT prowriststraps

How sad do you have to be to lie to people on the internet. How weak or broken do you have to be to lie about how tough you are, how much you lift or how big or lean you are? You are lying to people you will never meet. The worst part is your the only one that does not see the lies show through so clearly. Just be happy with what you have, it may not be what you once had, but it is still better than many will ever have

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Thanks guys. I have had a string of good workouts. I guess that's why Saturday happened.

4/26 Squat/Strongman

Squat w/belt and wrist wraps 145x5, 235x4, 325x3, 415x2 I got on my toes and strained my groin. I have a lot going on with the nerves in that area. I was told it is all related to my back which is what screwed up my knee. My body is a mess so I shut squats down after that.

Axle clean and press 110x5, 160x3, 200x2, 220x1, 240x1 I am still learning on this exercise. My hands are small so gripping the thick axle bar blows for me. Too bad I can't grip what I can press.

Axle deadlift 200x5, 290x3, 380x1, 430x1, 470x0 Damnit! As soon as I began to pull it I felt the tendon in my under grip, right hand, begin to snap. I am all too familiar with this feeling. I completely tore my left deadlifting a few years ago. After almost two days of rest, ice, compression, elevation, and ibupfrofin I think I might be ok. There appears to be minimal swelling and no bruising. The difference between this time and last time was that this actually hurt. When I completelely ruptured the tendon there was no pain at all. So I guess the pain is a good thing.

If I am lucky enought to get off with just some rest, massage, and ibupfrofin I know what I have to do next. I can never attempt to deadlift until I can fully supinate my hands. My flexibility is so bad that I cannot even fully grip a cambered bar. I am going to start some light stretching this week only that which will be pain free.

I am not sure to what extent this will throw off my competition plans for this summer. I will keep you all posted.
    I am sorry to hear about the injury!

Vin, have you ever used the hook grip? It takes a lot of getting used to, but you will find it MUCH easier on your wrists and tendons.
    Last edited by chris mason; 05-03-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Hey Chris, my hands are too small and meaty for the hook grip. I have simply decided to give up on those lifts that are more likely to injure me. I will deadlift but it will be with a trap bar. I will squat but it will be to the box. I also plan on getting a safety bar really soon. I am a bencher, I am a bencher, I am a bencher... I gotta keep telling myself that.

Alright ladies and gentlemen I have a five week push until IPA World's, here we go.

5/26 Conditioning
    Bodyweight 302 (way too much eating last week)

5x25 crunches
    15 lb. medecine ball toss and chase 10x
    6 laps 100 feet with sled on grass w/45lbs
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-28-2008 at 05:44 AM.

5/27 DE Bench
    Bodyweight 301

Warm up
    Pushups 3x10
    Bodyweight squats 3x10
    Fat guy pullups 3x10

Speed bench 235x3 4 sets 285x3 4 sets (benched off my toes today--felt interesting)
    Barbell extensions 145x5, 155x5, 165x5 3 sets
    Seated shoulder presses in rack 145x5, 235x5. 285x5. 325x5 2 sets
    Tbar rows 100x5, 145x5, 190x5, 235x5 2 sets
    Gaspari curl bar 50 lbs. 5x5

20 minute walk outside with dog

My nutrition was perfect today. I had at least 50% of my calories between my pre, during, and post workout meals/drinks. I felt like my belly was going to explode when walking the dog. I was so full I could not stand it. However, this morning I felt really good and was down 1 lb. I love it when a plan comes together.

Great work Vin! I totally understand that sometimes the success with the diet is right on, its almost as satisfying as a good training session

My training goes much better when I've eaten properly.

Let me know how the benching off your toes goes, I'll be interested. George tried it at his last meet and hated it haha. He wont' be doing it anymore, but Jay Fry does it all the time and makes it work very well for him. I just feel too unstable

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Travis, I have been making a natural progression to my toes. My training partners have told me I have been starting on my toes just a bit when taking the bar and then jamming my heels down when pressing the weight up. I have never done it purposefully until this past speed day. However, I have no hand off guy, my bench is super high so I put my feet on a stepper, it's all f'd up so who knows how the toes thing will really feel.

5/28 Conditioning
    Bodyweight 300

20 minute walk with 40lb. weight vest
    10 medicine ball throws
    4x25 crunches
    20 minute dog walk

Another day of good nutrition to top it off!

Thursday Off

5/30 ME Bench
    Bodyweight 299

3 board press worked up to 625x1
    Put on my Double Rage X 715x1 of 3 board, 810x1 off of 2 board, 810x1 off of 1 board.
    Pulldowns to belly 3x10
    Hammer curls 3x10
    Band face pulls 2x10
    Band push downs 2x10

I threw the last rep up so hard and fast on the bench that my feet slid out. Someone is starting to figure out these new fangled poly shirts Travis, I benched on my toes and it felt great. My training partner Matt Rhodes was a trooper last night. He adjusted shirts and lifted off for three of us and let my just say mine was not the heaviest bench of the night. Thanks to Master Luyando also for his advice. I finally feel like I am back in the game.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-31-2008 at 07:54 AM.

6/1 Core
    Bodyweight 301

Treadmill 20 minutes
    Box squats 5x5
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Shrugs 3x15

As a beginner, it is pretty incredible to be able to read a journal like this. Good luck and I hope you're able to avoid those injuries that seem to be plaguing you. Your strength and dedication is inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Travis, I benched on my toes and it felt great. My training partner Matt Rhodes was a trooper last night. He adjusted shirts and lifted off for three of us and let my just say mine was not the heaviest bench of the night. Thanks to Master Luyando also for his advice. I finally feel like I am back in the game.
    Great work bud! Even if you weren't the heaviest set of the night, thats still a really impressive 1brd!! Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot guys. I am starting to get my confidence back. Now I just have to stay healthy and keep doing what I have been doing.

6/2 Conditioning
    Bodyweight 301

20 minute walk with 40lb weight vest
    10 medicine ball throws
    4x25 crunches

Tomorrow is DE day, but I am already looking ahead to Friday's ME day. I am going to the chest and am so friggin excited.

Stumbled on the diet today. I was not able to get my shakes in at work so I could really feel my blood sugar dip. I convinced myself a McDonald's double cheeseburger and a small vanilla shake would help me out. It tasted really good, but I feel guilty now. It's off to ground beef and potatoes for dinner.

eh, don't sweat it Vin. If its any consolation, today my only cardio was sitting watching my dog walk on the treadmill hahaha

Some one trying to slim up
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

I wanted to add, don't let yourself focus on the one meal that didn't make it in the diet today. Focus rather on the big picture. Your body will respond to the big picture, not the one meal. Keep at it brother!!