The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 61 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3106
    I miss fat Vincent.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    I miss fat Vincent.
    So do I. My toes are hanging over the edge. I had to go to the grocery store yesterday to get some items for a cooking project I am doing with my students. I damn near fell apart. I was talking to Jess about how I was much happier when I was fatter. I'm down to 60 gms of carbs on my low days. Damn that Shelby!

I thought it would have been funny if I just completely said "f" it and went off the reservation yesterday. So close to the end and just blow it up. Jessica said she would have texted you guys to show up at the house with food. You sons of bitches would love to fatten me back up.

I curse everyone!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

6/7/10
    Monday

Yes I did AM and PM cardio.
    I did reverse band bench 585 3x1
    I did some assistance

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -5 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

6/8/10
    Tuesday

Guess what? More cardio

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

Oh joy, I had to cut 10 gms of carbs off each of my carb meals. That put me at 60 gms total on today's low day.

I had to go to the grocery store for a cooking project I'm doing with my students. We are taking over the Life Management Room (cooking class) and making salad, english muffin pizzas, and sugar cookies. I'll get to eat none of it. Stumbling through the aisles of the store was painful. I was so beat and cranky. I just wanted to open every bag of food I could get my hands on and start eating.

My wife told me she'll never allow me in to another grocery store again. All I kept saying was I was much happier when I was fatter. The words fat and happy go together for a reason. A great part of me thought how fun it would be to completely fall off the wagon with only 2.5 weeks to go. Rhodes and Karsten would be at my door with Ring Dings, Fried Chicken, Cheesesteaks, you name it.

This really is all Dave Tate's fault. He really was the original traitor. I hate him! You see there's difference between guys like Wendler and Dave. Wendler never really wanted to be that big. Jim just wanted to squat a grand and do things on his own terms. Dave wanted to be big, Dave still wants to be BIG. Deep behind the veins, tan, and abs he wants to be over 300 lbs. He can lie to himself, but he can't lie to all those with a true inner fat guy!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

i see your still killing the iron brother. like a monster!
    TB
    i'm a man....without a number
    "never satisfied!"
    powered by anabolikclothing, apt, and usplabs

log:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129997

Keep it up brother! Shelby finally put me on 30g carb for low days and i did that for 5 days straight and it nearly killed me lol.

How you can shop for those ingredients and make that stuff and not slip is beyond me, I'd be ravaging the lot.

I got so sick of cutting and being dissapointed with my low lean mass than I've switched to a lean gain plan with shelby and I got my high carb days back and less cardio. hmmmmmmm
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

6/9/10
    Wednesday

-50 minutes on the stinkin' treamill

-Sumo deadlifts with hook grip worked up to 315x2
    -Situps 5x10
    -Dbll hammer curls 30 5x10

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

This was the Sabotage portion of my program. I usually use the trap bar for my deadlifting. However, I always dream of coming back to do a full meet. If I am accomplish this, I must learn a hook grip. I have only performed tradtional deadlifts two or three times in the past decade. One time I completely tore my left bicep tendon. One of the other times, I partially tore my right.

Now I know 315 is not a lot of weight. However, I have little hands, with fat fingers, and a terrible grip. Also, I don't have a regular power bar. I have a fatter 55 lb bar. So I was happy enough to be able to hook the 315. It was not difficult, but I figured I'd start slowly, I am usually not that bright. Normally I go at something full force. Anyone who knows me could easily attest that I could have very well tried to pull enough weight that I would have left my ripped off thumbs on the gym mat.

The reason it's sabotage is what the hell was I doing trying something new with only a little over 2 weeks left to my meet. For my last meet, Brian had to convince me not to do clean and presses during my last deload week. I clearly have an overwhelming need for self destruction.

Interestingly, I forgot about my two ruptured discs. Again, it was only 315, but my back was none too pleased with me. Oh well.

I almost forgot, crunches blow! Good old fashioned situps kick ass. They are much harder. Old School Baby!

Thursday
    6/10/10

-50 minutes on the lousy treadmill

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

Good Fortune!

Shelby allowed me to carb up for my last heavy benching session this Friday. I got to have 50 gms of carbs for each of my last three meals on Thursday. I get 60 grams of carbs with every meal on Friday. Joy to the f'n world! I have been so happy I am whistling dixie out my sphincter.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.

6/11/10
    Friday

AM
    -Treadmill, 30 mintes steady

-Bench, worked up to 495x1 raw
    added 62 Ace
    2 board 585x1
    1 board 675x1
    To chest 725x1
    changed to 60 Ace
    1 board 725x1
    To chest 725x1
    -Pulldowns to belly 180 2x10
    -Pushdowns 80x10, 100x10

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -5 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

Wow, what a great night. I was definitely in meet mode. My 62 is ridiculously loose. I took 725 and on the way up it stalled about 2/3 the way up in a bad position over my head. That being said, I was able to grind it out and for me, that is huge. In the past my benching was throw and catch. It either flies to the top or not. My lockout has improved dramatically over the years.

It got even better after that. My size 60 is way too tight, so Rhodes offered me his because it's more broken in. I took 725 to a 1 board and it flew. It came in so easily that I asked Brian if I could take an extra set and go to the chest. He said absolutely. That one was even easier. That shirt went on me like Cinderella's slipper. I am now more excited than ever to get on the platform at IPA Worlds.

A big thanks to the whole crew for helping me out with this cycle. Cristin, Drew, and Josh are always there spotting loading, holding boards, and offering me tons of support. Rhodes has been giving awesome liftoffs as always. Karsten is my shirt Doctor. Then there's Brian who wrote my program and kept me on track. You guys and girl are the best!

Saturday

AM
    -Treadmill, 50 minutes steady

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

Called up Rhodes, we both talked about how brutalized our bodies felt. He came by and we tried to repair our bodies. Got some mood lighting going in the basement with a little mellow music. We proceeded to foam roll, use the therapy stick, a stretch rope, I used a frozen bottle of water to roll out my aching feet, the softball for my pecs, back, and shoulders, Matt used a pvc pipe, we both got on the inversion table (separately of course). The whole interlude was less than manly, but I left the basement feeling much better than I entered it.

After that, Matt and I jumped into his truck and headed to the beach. We strutted into the Long Island sound for a little cold water therapy. Well, I strutted, Matt pranced like a little girl. He is afraid of everything in the water. We had to walk through a muddy section and as soon as Matt's feet sunk in, he fled back to safer footing. I headed about a mile out because it was low tide. I kept checking back to see if I could see land. Ms. Rhodes finally made it out. He had another scare where something touched his foot. It was good for another laugh. We had a good soak and headed back to shore.

I just finished my boiled chicken, with lettuce, and vinegar, and my 1/3 cup of cashews. I am off to take a hot shower and take a nap. I feel awesome! I'll wake up for a nice steak and then it's UFC time. Today is a good day!

Your journal is, by far, my favorite. I laugh, I cry, then I laugh again.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Your journal is, by far, my favorite. I laugh, I cry, then I laugh again.
    Interesting, I feel the opposite when I'm with Rhodes. I cry, I laugh, and then I cry again. Thanks for reading my inane ramblings.

This is embarassing, but here are some before and after pics so far. This is 12 weeks. There is still much progress to be made, but it's a start.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Good Vinny!

I never fail to learn something from your log, frozen bottle of water, that is ingenious! Its like a frozen roller, that is practically free. I use an old rolling pin because travel sticks are a bit pricey, but always good ideas here!

Keep that lower back healthy! SFW!

6/13/10
    Sunday

AM

-SSB seated gm's 65x10, 85 2x10
    -SSB squat 285x5, 315x5, 340x5
    -Situps 5x10
    -Barbell curls 55x10, 65 4x10

Hit an all new bodyweight low, 262. The 242's look like they could actually be a reality. I am hitting a point in my diet where I am seeing more rapid changes. Today was a light day. It's a deload. There won't be anything heavy for the next two weeks with the exception of a little bench today.

By the way, the rehab work on Saturday left me feeling exceptionally well. Everyone should take an hour a week and devote it to rehab. When I get on the treadmill first thing in the am it usually takes my body a good 5 minutes to warmup. My neck/shoulder is usuallly all jacked up. I felt fine from the second I got out of bed.

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

Amazing progress Vin! Hopefully I can follow your foot steps big man.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Amazing progress Vin! Hopefully I can follow your foot steps big man.
    Thanks Tone. I will not lie, it's been very tough. However, each day I am closer to becoming a new version of myself and not wanting to go back to where I started. As much fun as I think it will be to bulk back up, I feel so much better right now. I am going to try not to let myself get over 275-280 for Superlifting in July. Then it will be a quest to get down to a walking around weight of 257 in the fall.

You could be in a muscle tech ad now!

Great progress Vin. It's amazing man. 260's is right where I'd like to be sitting this time next year. I wanna see some 240's from you next. Gonna look even more impressive.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thanks for the support guys. I am starting to feel proud of myself.

Monday
    6/14/10

AM
    -Treadmill 30 minutes steady

PM
    -Treadmill 20 minutes steady

-Blast strap pushups 3x10
    -Blast strap inverted pullups 3x10
    -Blast strap tri extension 3x10
    -Blast strap scarecrows 3x10

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -5 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

I was supposed to have heavy assistance bench today, but I felt too good to ruin it. I figured I am not getting any stronger in the next two weeks. My goal is to stay feeling good and healthy.

I was watching a video Dave Tate had in his log and it got me thinking. I the video Dave said you have to decide to diet. Now I made a lifestyle change that got me down from 328 to 290. However, I know I did not maintain as much muscle as I could have. I felt like I had to make drastic changes. That is when I called Shelby.

Shelby got me on the right track and tweaked things just enough each week. During this process I have dropped over 6% bf and have maintained most all of my muscle. This has not been an easy process. Cutting is not a lifestyle change, it is a diet. People ask questions like "What do you snack on?" my answer is "I don't snack." I have not cheated on my diet other than planned cheats with Shelby. I have not had so much as a pretzel stick in the last 15 weeks.

Here is another great thing I have learned, you are going to be a little hungry on a diet. That was good to realize. I cannot remember the last time I felt hungry prior to this. I have been bulking since the 1990's.

Here's another news flash, cardio blows! However, it is a necessary evil. Just do it. Combining that and diet is key.

I know I joke quite a bit in my log, but this has been difficult. It is a commitment in every sense of the word. That being said, I'm in just about the best shape I have been in my adult life. I have maintained a fair amount of strength and my body feels better than ever. I don't even take my asthma medicine anymore.

I will be taking a bit of a break after IPA Worlds the end of this month, but I am promising myself not to fall too far. I'm going to have to figure out a happy medium. No matter what happens this summer, I will get back into the 242's again in the fall.

6/15/10
    Tuesday

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -9 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

6/16/10
    Wednesday

-Trap bar dl 285x5, 305x5, 330x5
    -Standing band crunches
    -Dumbell curls 20x10, 25x20, 30 2x10

ALN Supp's
    -6 Thermocin
    -5 Fish oil
    -3 Multi's
    -4 Scoops Nitrean
    -7 Creatine Caps

6/17/10
    Thursday

Treadmill, 50 minutes steady with slight incline

Weight is holding steady at 261. I'm a week away from my cut. It's funny, I usually start getting nervous about lifting a week out from a meet. However, my goal is more about making 242's than lifting. It seems to have taken a little pressure off.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-17-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Quick update

Friday

AM

Deload
    -Raw bench 385 2x2
    -Pulldowns 180 3x12
    -Band external rotations 3x12

Saturday

AM

Foam rolled, ice bottle rolled, softball roll, therapy stick, stretch, and inversion for about 45 minutes. Then Rhodes and I headed to the beach for another man date and some cold water therapy. Fortunately the sound is still cold as all heck.

Sunday

No treadmill, my legs feel dead. I'm going to be doing cardio by feel. If my legs are tired cardio is out for the day. I am going to stay with all low carb days this week which should make up for the calories I will not be burning on the treadmill.

I'm 260 and will begin the process of my cut tomorrow. I think I am going to try and do some kind of video diary. We'll see how motivated I am to do so.

Great work Vin. On the treadmill what pace are you going at? Any incline? I'm going to start putting in sustained cardio whenever I can, was wondering what sort of gig you were running.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

As many of you know, my brother tragically passed away back in December. I forced myself to compete in January. My brother came to many of my competitions. I wrote his initials on my forearms with a sharpie to honor his memory (I hit an IPA WR that day--thanks Sammy). I wrote them again at the Penguin Plunge fundraiser I did. He is constantly with me and reminding me to live a fuller life. So I wanted to make the memorial permenant.

Interestingly, my father is Sam and my mother is Shirley, so they are SD also. So the tattoo stands as a tribute and memorial to my family. They mean so very much to me.

I'd pay tribute to myself on the other forearm, but I don't think BELOVED VD sends a great message.

I hope to honor my brother again at Worlds this weekend,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Great work Vin. On the treadmill what pace are you going at? Any incline? I'm going to start putting in sustained cardio whenever I can, was wondering what sort of gig you were running.
    I pretty much have to stick with steady pace. I can sometimes do a slight incline. HIIT has been out lately. Too much pounding kills my calves and shins. I make sure to get into my target heart rate for my age, albeit the lower end. I keep it around 110.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I like the tattoo a lot vinny. I have one for my sister that passed away last year. One of my most memorable training sessions was being back in the gym two days after she passed. To quote sensei. Training has always been a solace for me I hope it can be for you too. Very smart of you with all that self therapeutic work.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I like the tattoo a lot vinny. I have one for my sister that passed away last year. One of my most memorable training sessions was being back in the gym two days after she passed. To quote sensei. Training has always been a solace for me I hope it can be for you too. Very smart of you with all that self therapeutic work.
    Thanks Thomas. Very cool that you have a tattoo as part of your memory for your sister. I have wanted something for a while, but I had no idea what it was. Then one day it just came to me. So then I went to my tattoo guy. He is a great guy and well sought after. It's usually around a four month wait. I never mind because he is a really cool dude and I trust him. Anyway, I told him the story and how I'd really appreciate it if he could do it before my meet. A mutual friend told me there wa no way he'd do it. He ended up doing it the day I saw him. It was meant to be.

Vin that's awesome man, looks great and has an amazing meaning behind it. Our families are what make us who we are, good or bad. It's always good to see someone else with family ties running deep in their veins like that. I don't have any tattoos yet, but would like to get a wolf or something for my father, he absolutely loved wolves. You've done so amazing Vin, congrats on everything, I know it probably still hurts really bad, I know it's been 6 years since I lost my father and it kills me still sometimes. You're one hell of a guy, much respect brother.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May