The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 62 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3106
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Saturday
    AM
    -Treadmill, 50 minutes steady

Foam rolled, ice bottle rolled, softball roll, therapy stick, stretch, and inversion for about 45 minutes. Then Rhodes and I headed to the beach for another man date and some cold water therapy. Fortunately the sound is still cold as all heck.

How much to you feel the inversion table helps with your lower back (the discs specifically), and what else do you or did do to get them healed and then keep them from flaring up on you again? I have an impinged nerve root so I am always interested in what others have done with there lower back injuries and how they healed themselves back up and got back under the bar and SFW.
    "What is the strongest cure?—Victory."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

“You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."

-Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Vin that's awesome man, looks great and has an amazing meaning behind it. Our families are what make us who we are, good or bad. It's always good to see someone else with family ties running deep in their veins like that. I don't have any tattoos yet, but would like to get a wolf or something for my father, he absolutely loved wolves. You've done so amazing Vin, congrats on everything, I know it probably still hurts really bad, I know it's been 6 years since I lost my father and it kills me still sometimes. You're one hell of a guy, much respect brother.
    Get that Wolf tattoo! I gotta tell you, I love seeing this tattoo on my arm. No matter what, now he is always with me.

Thanks for the kind words. Rob Luyando texted me today saying something like he's sure my brother is looking down upon me proudly. It just overhwelmed me with emotion. You guys are all the best.

It's sure been a crazy day. My brother left me a very clear sign today that he was in my house.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Awesome ink Vin! Love to see work with meaning behind it, and that tattoo sure has it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gugunir View Post
    How much to you feel the inversion table helps with your lower back (the discs specifically), and what else do you or did do to get them healed and then keep them from flaring up on you again? I have an impinged nerve root so I am always interested in what others have done with there lower back injuries and how they healed themselves back up and got back under the bar and SFW.
    The things that were most helpful in my recovery were, sleeping on my back with my legs elevated, walking on a treadmill, and hanging on the inversion table. The sleeping thing keeps circulation to your back and it also keeps you from moving around in your sleep. I was always a belly sleeper and that is the worst thing in the world for your back. Sleeping with my legs elevated broke me of that habit. The treadmill helped with circulation. Walking on a treadmill is much better for your back than walking on the road because the treadmill is cushioned. Lastly, the inversion table was great for traction. I could really feel it relieve the pressure. One thing to remember is that you don't have to hang at 180 degrees. 120 to 140 does the trick. Best of luck in your recovery.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    The things that were most helpful in my recovery were, sleeping on my back with my legs elevated, walking on a treadmill, and hanging on the inversion table. The sleeping thing keeps circulation to your back and it also keeps you from moving around in your sleep. I was always a belly sleeper and that is the worst thing in the world for your back. Sleeping with my legs elevated broke me of that habit. The treadmill helped with circulation. Walking on a treadmill is much better for your back than walking on the road because the treadmill is cushioned. Lastly, the inversion table was great for traction. I could really feel it relieve the pressure. One thing to remember is that you don't have to hang at 180 degrees. 120 to 140 does the trick. Best of luck in your recovery.
    Thanks, I will try out the inversion table and some traction. I am to the point where I am not in chronic pain but I know I am still not "there" yet where I can deadlift and squat. Seeing how you got back from your injury and got back into competition and still throw around heavy weight is a real inspiration to me.
    "What is the strongest cure?—Victory."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

“You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."

-Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

This week's weight cut so far.

I am hydrating heavily right now. I am sticking with all low carb days also. Carbs are at 60 grams a day. I can handle that. It's the near 3 gallons of fluid a day that are pissing me off. I am also sodium loading.

Cardio has been draining my legs so I have only had one cardio session this week. I did 25 minutes on the treadmill this morning just to keep busy. I trained yesterday, just a little upper body work.

-Dumbell bench 50 4x10
    -Dumbell bent over rows 50 4x10
    -Dumbell presses 50 4x10
    -Rolling dumbell tri ext 30 4x10

My weight is holding steady at 259 which is right where I need it to be. Tomorrow I cut sodium and cut fluids down to one gallon of distilled water. I'll have another light training session also.

A lot of guys have been checking in on me and I appreciate it. I have gotten some good advice from Rob Luyando which I am grateful for. Kathy Fields is also helping me out with a hydration mix recipe. I have known Kathy for a long time. She is really cool. I'm glad Travis Bell reminded me to get in contact with her. Anyway, I could not find anyone to help me out with an IV at York so I have to do it the old fashioned way.

I took some video of my meals the first day of my cut. I thought it would be more intersting than it is--I don't know why. I never bothered downloading and editing it. If anyone is interested I'll get it together, otherwise I'm not going to bother.

Thursday

258 this morning. Yeah, i only have to drink one gallon of fluids today.

Dr. Subtotal
    Inspiring cut, best of luck with the rest

+1 to keeping legs elevated while sleeping.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Good luck on the weigh-in this morning and SFW!!!!
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Thanks everyone. I have gotten tons of well wishes throughout this long journey. Got my bf tested by Brian today. I'm 16% at 248. I have the lowest bodyfat in our crew, although that's not saying much. My goal was 18 so I am psyched. I'm 246 right now so I'm in good shape for tomorrow morning's weigh in. I have wanted to quit plenty of times today, but I have come too far. Thanks again everyone. My crew has been so super supportive. Also Eric Hubbard and Rob Luyando have come up big for me. Rob has been in frequent contact with me the past few days. He's a class act.

Ok, so I'll be gone for a few days. I can't wait to drink, eat, and oh yeah, lift. Whatever happens I am proud I have made it this far. Now let's have some fun and SFW!

TJW
    Good luck Vin! You are an inspiration to us all! Now go SFW!!!

Wow Vin, that is awesome brother. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

S.F.W!

2010 IPA Worlds Write Up

Where to begin, that's the question. I guess it started when my brother passed away back in December. I really was not thinking much about my weight before then, but after that I just felt like I needed to get into better shape. I had no looming health issues, It just felt like it was time. However, with the emotional distress I was under I did not quite make it to 275's like I wanted to when I competed in January. I learned a bit from that experience. For one, make sure your home scale is weighing properly. I found out quite late that mine was 6 lbs light.

After I hit a pr 820 bench in the 308 class I knew what my next goal would be--to make the 242's by IPA Worlds and to hit a current top 10 lift in that class. After a month of jerking around, I hooked up with Shelby. I was certain I had been dropping some much hard earned muscle along with the fat. That was not acceptable in my book. I did not just want to cut weight, I wanted to get into good shape as well. I found out quickly dieting is serious business.

Immediately into the training cycle I could tell I was not going to be able to chase after the same max effort numbers. So under the guidance of my training partner and CSCS Brian Holloway we switched from Westside to a block periodization progam. For those that don't know, block periodization is Russian for lots of reps. We based the training numbers off of a 750 to accomodate for my weight loss. Anyway, along the road I worked in multiple shirts as my body changed. I got through the program hitting all the prescribed numbers. I need to thank all my training partners for helping me throug the grueling 16 weeks. Thanks to Brian, Cristin, Drew, Josh, Karsten, Matt, and Tee Tee, I could not have accomplished it without all of you. Well, I probably could have, but you all made it easier and much more fun.

With training under control, it was all about diet, cardio, and rehab. I followed all to the letter. When you do what you are supposed to, you get the desired results. My bodyfat kept dropping and I kept hitting my numbers. Along the way many people helped keep me on track. Most importantly my wife. I was certainly not easy to be around. I also got a lot of support from my good long distance friends Joey Smith, Travis Bell, and Rob Luyando. Their well timed calls, pm's, emails, and texts helped me endure a very difficult process.

With the meet in sight, I started my cut one week out at 262. I dropped to all low carb days and cut cardio. Cardio had been beating up my legs. A few days out I started super hydrating and increasing sodium. Two days out I dropped to one gallon of distilled water and cut out all sodium. I started the last day at 257, which meant I needed to drop 15 lbs in 24 hours. There was no food or drink to be had until Saturday morning after weigh ins. For those of you who have never cut, the not eating part is easy, not drinking anything is an entirely different story.

I finally got some good news regarding some IV help. Rob came through in a big way and had a friend who could help out, Tim was super cool and a great lifter himself. I ended up making some new friends with him and his crew. Good peeps. My man Eric also came through with some bags. I drove out to see him in LI, NY Friday morning. I had nothing better to do anyway. Kathy Fields also helped me with a rehydration cocktail. It was waxy maize, honey, salt, l carnitine, potassium, and creatine. I was very scared of what it would taste like as I mixed it.

When I got back home at about 2:00 I was only down to 254. I knew I had some work ahead of me. I threw on my sauna suit and packed and ran some more errands. The crew trains Friday at 6 so I figured I'd hook up with them and get my bf tested. I got there early and just walked the parking lot in the sun. It blew. I was starting to wonder if it was going to be worth it. I really wanted to give up. I just wanted something to drink. I stripped out of the sauna suit and tried to cool off a bit. Meanwhile Rhodes talked me down. Soon after I got my bf checked at 16% which was down from 24, I put the suit back on and drove home with the windows up.

When I got home I took the hottest bath I could stand. After getting out I continued to sweat for about a half an hour. At that last check I was 245.6. I was done. I could no longer try to cut. I was completely drawn. I figured I'd try to catch a few hours of sleep before getting up at 2:00 am for the 4 hour drive to early weigh ins. Jess snapped a shot of me at my low point. It was touch and go at this point.

Here's funny thing about dehydration in case you did not know it, it can make one very anxious. My heart raced and i could not sleep. Now on top of that I was very fatigued and a bit unstable. I started to fear that if I fell asleep I may not wake up. Needless to say, I never slept. So at 2:30 am, Rhodes, Jessica, and I hit the road. I wore the sauna suit the entire way with my seat warmer on. We were supposed to get in at 7:11 am, but my little speed demon Jessica shaved nearly an hour off our time. The second we got to the venue I went to weigh in. 242.9 grrrrrrrrr! So back on with some fresh clothes and the sauna suit. I got in the truck, put the heat on 90, got the seat warmer on and pulled the sauna suit top up over my head. Rhodes gave me a bottle and I chewed some gum and spit into it. 15 minutes later I got out and made weight, 242.2.

I immediately began chugging down one of Kathy's cocktails. Holy crap, it was terrible. It tasted like waxy maize made with sea water. I took my medicine. I drank 32 ounces in about 3 minutes. I then drank 32 ounces of a weak Gatorade mix as too much sugar will really screw up your stomach after a cut. I took a few Immodium's as Luyando advised, which is a really good tip by the way. I then went and bagged up. After that it was time to eat. i was relatively cautious about what I ate the whole day. I stayed away from really heavy fried foods or too much sugar. I put down a few gallons of fluids, a ton of well timed out food and I was good to go. I ended getting my weight up to 267.5 by meet time.

Now on to lifting, it's about time right! Warm ups felt great. Everything went smoothly. The benches were different than the ones usually used at York, but it was not big deal. I took my opener of 730 which felt light. It actually went too fast and rocked me a bit at the top. I then went to 750. I drove it up to what I thought was an easy lockout, but the judges saw it differently. I was so confident i was already planning on an 800+ third as I was lifting. So I took it again. Again I thought I had it, and so did the crowd from their reaction, but i guess it was not meant to be. Because the 730 was a Masters World Record I exercised my option of a fourth. I took the 750 again and was just spent.

Video

Video

Video

Video

At first I was disappointed, but that lessened as time passed. I hit my immediate goals of making 242's and getting a lift in the current top ten. I have had quite a year of lifting in my book. Last August I hit a 605 raw as a shw which has me ranked 2nd, I hit an 820 equipped at 308 which ranks me 5th, and now the 730 equipped at 242 which is 8th in that class. All in all I was able to cut 84 lbs and get 3 top ten lifts in three different classes all within 10 months time.

I have room to grow in the 242's. I think it's my new home. I hope to put up a number I can be even more proud of next time I'm in the shirt. For now, it's back to raw training for a while. I need a break from the gear and hope to pack on some size with some full meet training.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-29-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Garage Lifter
    Great job Vinny! Everything that you've accomplished this year has been inspiring, keep it up!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wednesday

Ate chicken fingers, fries, and lots of cupcakes today. I have to admit, the cupcakes were made with egg whites instead of whole eggs and apple sauce was used instead of vegetable oil. They were very good.

I'm going to be a little laid back on my diet for the rest of the week. I'm holding steady at 268. Next week I am going to get back to a strict diet for the week and just loosen up on the weekends. I'll try that for a month and then evaluate from there.

7/2/10
    Sunday

-Deadlift w/hook grip 135x2, 185x2, 225x2, 275x2, 315x2, 335x3, 405x1
    -Squat, bar 2x10, 145 2x5, 235 2x5

Just playing around. It was a bench night, but I wanted to see how well I could hook grip on a dl bar. It felt very comfortable. I am just going to take my time and see where I can go with this. The squat was another trial. I wanted to see if I could get under an 8' bar. I can just get my hands in. I really need to work on my upper body flexibility. Anyway, I squat too low. I need to learn depth. So I'll take my time with the squat also. I am not setting overly aggressive numbers for myself.

It did feel good to get some work in. My body has been feeling stiff and awful from not training, doing cardio, or any type of rehab this week. Next week I'll start with some gpp work, cardio, and a new diet.

I also wanted to wish good luck to Rob Luyando this weekend. I really hope he hits a grand.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-03-2010 at 12:10 AM.

That's pretty cool you are interested in doing a full raw power meet. I'm doing my first one in September and I'm pretty excited.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Last couple of days

Saturday
    -Treadmill 25 minutes steady

Sunday
    -Treadmill 25 minutes steady

Monday
    -Treadmill 25 minutes hiit

GPPx1 set
    Circuit
    -Shoulder dislocatesx10
    -Barbell shrugsx20
    -External shoulder rotations w/bandx10
    Circuit
    -db split squats 2x20
    -db bench press 2x20
    Circuit
    -Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l
    Circuit
    -Bodyweight rev hypers 2x20
    -Pushdowns 2x15
    Circuit
    -McGill situps 3x15
    4 way hip 3x10 r&l
    Circuit
    -Leg curls 2x20
    -Lat pulldowns 2x15
    Circuit
    -Standing calf raises 2x20
    -Contra lateral shoulder raises 2x15

Went with Rhodes to a pro strongman show in Jersey this weekend. He mentioned in a q&a over on elite that "his experience" with strongman was easy. So many took offense. Rhodes then acted like Rhodes and things really heated up, which meant they were fun to watch. Long story short, pro strongman Nick Best challenged Matt to do the hummer tire dl. Like a man, Matt accepted. So we went to the show and all of the pros could not have been nicer. Spent a lot of time efore the event with Callie and Nick Best. Both were very cool people. Most impressive was Brian Shaw. I have been around many huge guys during my lifting career, but none compare to this prehistoric monster. He is the real deal and a very nice guy as well.

Rhodes did not do as well as he would have liked, but I give him credit for showing up and trying something he's never tried before. I think the experience will be great for Matt. I think this is going to push him to train harder and to find greater challenges. I consumed a few adult beverages, which I rarely do, so I had a blast regardless. My happiness of course is always paramount.

Two other notables from the weekend. Congrats to Josh McMillan on his pr bench this weekend. I also want to give Rob Luyando a nod for his efforts. This guy pushes himself to the limit. I hope he takes a step back to regroup and then get a grand like I know he can.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.

7/6/10
    Tuesday

-Treadmill, 25 minutes steady

Was back on my new maintenance diet for the second day in a row and then got sabotaged. Our central ac went out yesterday in the middle of a heat wave. The temp on the second floor where our bedroom is got up to 90 degrees. So some techs came out and fixed it late this afternoon. They told us it was going to be some time before the temp would come down. So Jessica and I decided to hit a movie. Now, I can't go to the movies without having buttered popcorn. It is at least 50% of the experience as far as I'm concerned. There was a Nathan's there also. Now how can one be around a Nathan's and not have a hot dog. Damn that Nathan and his weiners. Anyway, I skipped a carb meal today as a result. I know the macros won't be right, but I figured I'd keep the calories down.

So during my hotdog and popcorn binge I watched the A-Team. I thought it was entertaining. I thought Rampage as BA was awesome. He made the character his own. I'm glad it was not just some sad Mr. T impersonation. Bradley Cooper made a great Face. The guy who played Murdoch was really good also. I just could not get into Liam Neeson playing Hannibal. It seemed like he was trying too hard. I'm also sick of incredibly unbelievable cgi in movies nowadays. I know movies are not real, but I just want to be able to believe just a little of what I am seeing. Interstingly, like I said, I was entertained. Perhaps it had something to do with Jessica Biel being in the movie. She's quite the looker. I do wonder if she knows she is the second hottest Jessica on earth.

I think she is hotter than Jessica Alba.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I think she is hotter than Jessica Alba.
    Strike one!

7/7/10
    Wednesday

-Treadmill 25 minutes

GPPx1 set
    (Each group done as circuit)
    -Shoulder dislocates 4x10
    -Barbell shrugs 4x10
    -External shoulder rotations w/band 4x10

-db split squats 4x10
    -db bench press 4x10

-Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l

-Bodyweight rev hypers 4x10
    -Pushdowns 4x8

-McGill situps 4x10
    -4 way hip 4x10 r&l

-Leg curls 4x10
    -Lat pulldowns 4x8

-Standing calf raises 4x10
    -Contra lateral shoulder raises 4x8
    -Dbll hammer curls 4x10
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-07-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Thursday
    -Foam rolled, stretched, etc.

Friday
    -Benched
    -Pull downs
    -Pushdowns

Not much to report. Just keeping the body moving

Saturday

-Treadmill, 20 minutes steady

Sunday

-Treadmill, 20 minutes steady
    -Yoga, 25 minutes

Monday

-Nothing

Tuesday

-Treadmill, 25 minutes steady
    GPPx1 set
    Circuit
    -Shoulder dislocatesx10
    -Barbell shrugsx20
    -External shoulder rotations w/bandx15
    Circuit
    -db split squats 2x20
    -db bench press 2x15
    Circuit
    -Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l
    Circuit
    -Bodyweight rev hypers 2x20
    -Pushdowns 2x15
    Circuit
    -McGill situps 3x15
    4 way hip 3x10 r&l
    Circuit
    -Leg curls 2x20
    -Lat pulldowns 2x15
    Circuit
    -Standing calf raises 2x20
    -Contra lateral shoulder raises 2x15
    -Dbll concentration curl 2x15