Page 64 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Rhodes, last spring - " I feel great. I'm going to run hills."
    You, two weeks ago - "I love not being in pain. I'm going to do a full meet and run."

Dummies.
    Roll Tide.

I'm Baaaaaack!

So, I took my cash from the IPA CT meet and bought plane tickets for me and Jess to go to Aruba. My parents got me a place for a week for my birthday. The trip would have been free except for the fact that I ate like an animal. Jessica and I had a blast. We hung out on the beach, went snorkling, on a short cruise, did some rope swing, ate at lots of great restaurants, walked a lot, and even managed to exercise everyday. I'll post some pics in the next few days. I even have a surprise video.

Now that I'm back I need to rectify a few things. I cannot run. I got myself all super excited to run after one lousy day on the track. The truth of the matter is my body cannot take it. I ran on the treadmill in Aruba and my back got progressively worse. Maybe when I'm down to 220 or lighter. But right now, It's just not that important to me. I guess it's something I want to do because my body does not want to let me do it. I still have the unfinished challenge of hiking Mt. Washington, so I am going to train for that. I like having a conditioning goal, it keeps me focused. I also need to get my diet back on track. I gained ten pounds while I was away. After a few days I noticed the veins in my biceps disappeared, next were the ones in my legs, then the forearms went. Now I'm back down to veins in two places, my feet and my, well, you know.

Here's what I did for training:

Monday GPP Workout done in circuits
    -Barbell shrugsx20
    -External shoulder rotations w/pulleyx15
    -db split squats 2x20
    -db bench press 2x15
    -Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l
    -Bodyweight rev hypers 2x20
    -Pushdowns 2x15
    -McGill situps 3x15
    -4 way hip 3x10 r&l
    -Leg curls 2x20
    -Lat pulldowns 2x15
    -Standing calf raises 2x20
    -Contra lateral shoulder raises 2x15
    -Dbll concentration curl 2x15

Tuesday
    -Treadmill, 20 minute jog
    -50 minutes of pool aerobics *Yes, I did pool aerobics, and no, there is no video. The instructors were crazy hot! Short white shorts+sports bras+attractive latin female instructors+water=priceless.

Wednesday GPP Workout done in circuits
    -Barbell shrugsx20
    -db split squats 2x20
    -db bench press 2x15
    -Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l
    -Pushdowns 2x15
    -McGill situps 3x15
    -4 way hip 3x10 r&l
    -Leg curls 2x20
    -Lat pulldowns 2x15

Thursday
    -30 minute walk on beach *We actually did tons of walking all week, this was just an excuse I used to not get on the damned treadmill on vacation

Friday GPP Workout done in circuits
    -Barbell shrugsx20
    -db split squats 2x20
    -db bench press 2x15
    -Front plank 3x30 sec
    -Lazy superman 3x10 r&l
    -Pushdowns 2x15
    -McGill situps 3x15
    -4 way hip 3x10 r&l
    -Leg curls 2x20
    -Lat pulldowns 2x15

Saturday
    -Treamill, 20 minutes steady

By the way, I know guys on the outlaw forum will bitch about my gpp workouts, but these are very difficult. These are a great example of what you can do with just a little equipment or when you need a deload, or just for some conditioning work. I have spent most of my adult life pushing heavy weight for low reps and sets, so these are by no means easy. Jess did them with me and she could not believe how hard they are. She is in great condition and has become a crossfit animal, so I felt a little better about myself when I was left sweating and panting throughout the training.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Rhodes, last spring - " I feel great. I'm going to run hills."
    You, two weeks ago - "I love not being in pain. I'm going to do a full meet and run."

Dummies.
    I sure have missed you. I look forward to seeing your awesomeness on Friday.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Monday
    8/9/10
    DE Bench

-Speed bench 225 4x3, 225 w/double mini band 4x3 (3 grips used, widest w/pinky on rings)
    -Close grip rack lockouts 405 2x8
    -Rolling dumbell tri ext 50 3x12
    -Tbar row 135 5x10
    -H Rolls 15 3x12

This was a good first workout back. It was light, and short. I finished up in just under 40 minutes. I'll ramp up the weight as the weeks pass.

I liked using the bands on the last 4 sets of speed bench. It gives my body a chance to warm up. I read in a Westside article that Tony Bologne does his this way. I figured I'd give it a shot.

Wow, I have not done rack lockouts in forever. Also, I have never done them with a close grip. To top it off, I set the rack pretty low and was in an awful position to start. I like the fact that I did not have to go too heavy to feel these. When I trained Metal Militia, I used to do these with a comp grip and would try to hammer out serious weight. I usually ended up in pain as a result.

Tuesday
    8/10/10
    Conditioning/Recovery

AM
    -Treadmill, 25 minutes slight incline

PM
    -Foam rolling, 20 minutes
    -Contrast shower

My body is feeling good after just a few days of training, recovery, and eating well.

TJW
    Glad to see your back! I'm looking forward to seeing how this westside template works out for you. So now you've competed in 242 and 275 recently, which are you going to stay in. I know you said you don't want your BW to go over the 275 mark, because you feel more comfortable there, but I also know it would be an easier cut to 242 than the first time you did. Either way, I know you'll keep hitting big numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Glad to see your back! I'm looking forward to seeing how this westside template works out for you. So now you've competed in 242 and 275 recently, which are you going to stay in. I know you said you don't want your BW to go over the 275 mark, because you feel more comfortable there, but I also know it would be an easier cut to 242 than the first time you did. Either way, I know you'll keep hitting big numbers!
    I will probably stick with 275 for two more meets. I was really close with 830. I'd like ot hit an all time pr at the lighter weight class. If Lexen has a bench portion to their pro meet in March I'd like ot hit that at 275. After that, I'll move down to 242 permenantly. Thanks.

Wednesday 8/11/10
    Deadlift

-Physioball reverse hypers, bw 2x8 1 chain 2x8
    -Slant board situps, 4x10
    -Hex bar dl (upper handle) 135/225x5, 315x1, 365/390/425x5
    -Fat bar reverse curl 3x8
    -Calf raises on leg press, 8 plates 3x15

First workout back deadlifting so I used deload numbers and the upper handles. I may actually keep the upper handles for the first month of this training. My back did not feel great, but that would not stop me. I'm rating pain in my journals so I can keep better track of my stupidity. Back pain was 6 out of 10 and bicep was 7 out of 10.

Thursday 8/12/10
    Conditioning/recovery

AM
    -Treadmill, 25 minutes hiit

PM
    -Foam rolling and stretching
    -Contrast shower

Here are the rolls and stretches I do;
    -Thoracic roll with spinal stretch
    -Chest/Shoulder/Lat roll with kneeling chest stretch
    -Glute roll with figure-4 stretch
    -Hamstring roll and stretch
    -IT band roll and stretch
    -Quad roll and stretch
    -Hip Flexor roll and half kneeling stretch

These all take me 10-15 minutes depending on how motivated I am. Doing the treadmill, the rolling/stretching, and contrast showers on my non-lifting days keeps me feeling better than I ever have. I'm sure eating properly has something to do with it as well.

I was really sad to hear today that Rhodehouse is in bad repair. I was so hopeful my PT could fix him up. During the visit, the PT told Matt his back and hip are in such bad shape that he would not even waste his time with therapy. So Matt has to go for a bunch of MRI's and other tests. He said most ortho's will want him on the operating table immediately.

I know a lot of people have given Matt crap over the years. I just have to say that I am really impressed with what he has accomplished. He's got Marfan's, he came to us pretty lanky, and he's built himself and has totaled elite. He even his a pr dl a few weeks ago when he was clearly much much less than 100%. He's also an excellent coach.

I hope my friend can get healthy enough to be as pain free as possible and pursue whatever he desires.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-12-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Friday 8/13/10
    ME Bench

-Floor press w/8 chains (pinkies on ring), bar x10, 135/185/225/275/315x3, 365/405/455/475x1
    -Floor press off 2 board (pinkies on ring) 225/235/245/255/275/315x12
    -Single arm mini band pushdowns 3x15
    -Pulldowns to sternum 130/140/150/150/150x15
    -Blast strap scarecrows 3x10

This was a very good first ME training session to get back in the swing. I used to do all ME work with a comp grip, but I am going to work my triceps like never before this training cycle. I have never done this movement before when you take the closer grip and chains into consideration. A lot of the chain was deloaded, but I did not care. I just wanted to push weight and not worry aboutthe number. I felt strong and we really pushed the pace. I actually had a pump at the end of the session.

My bodyweight is holding steady at 275. I think I have my diet, supplementation, training, conditioning, and recovery all dialed in. Now I just have to train smart and try to keep getting stronger.

Video

Supplements I'm currently taking:
    -Multi Plus http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=6
    -Fish Oil http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...products_id=15
    -Nitrean http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=1
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Saturday 8/14/10
    Conditioning/recovery

AM
    -Treadmill, 25 minutes steady w/incline

PM
    -Foam rolling
    -Contrast shower

I really f'd my back up doing a hamstring stretch today. I'm really tight on my right side. That's where my sciatica has always acted up. I have not had a spasm like that in as long as I can remember. I'll have to play it very safe for a bit.

On a happier note, I went to a comedy show with my wife and sister in law last night. It's always nice being on the arm of two lovely ladies. Anyway, the comedian was Gabriel Iglesias. He was hilarious. I recommend him highly. If he could lift he would definitely be a good candidate for Rhodestown. He's a big boy. I only wish I had gotten to see him with my brother. Sammy and I could laugh together like nothing you have ever heard. I miss my bro a lot.

8/15/10 Sunday
    Squat

-Mcgill situp 5x15
    -Physioball rev hyper 5x8
    -Split squat bdwt 3x10
    -Dbll shrugs 55 3x15
    -Gaspari bar curls 55 5x10

I think I am having sympathy pain for Rhodes. My lower back is messed up. I actually called the my sports doc for an appt. I have not had this much pain since it happened. So I took it pretty easy today. I actually felt a little better as i went along, but I knew I should not squat. That's why I did just few sets of bodyweight split squats. Got work done.

Speaking of Rhodes. He and I got together with DD and checked out the Expendables. I really liked it. It was corny 80's action. What more could one ask for. Sometimes it's ok just to be entertained. By the way, Sly is in crazy shape for his age. Looks like HRT worked for someone.

Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-16-2010 at 10:20 PM.

MONDAY

DE Bench
    -Speed bench 245 4x3, 245+doubled mini bands 4x3 (all done with 3 different inside grips)
    -Rack lockout (inside grip set about 3 inches off chest) 425+doubled mini bands 1x3
    -Barbell tricep extensions 135 5x15
    -T Bar rows 90 5x15
    -Face pulls 50 5x15

On the first set of rack lockouts I was very surprised how difficult these were with the doubled mini bands. Starting that low with the bands is like starting in no man's land. After I got off the bench my left pec was feeling pretty weird. My first thought was I could get my second set. Then a small voice said "This could be the time you tear your pec off." Considering I never get pain in my left pec, I decided to stop there. I hate myself for not taking it, but I just have this feeling that things would have gone badly.

When I got to t bar rows I could tell how banged up my back was. I just figured light weight for reps. So that's what I did. I have a doctor's appt Friday morning so no need to do anything stupid before then.

TUESDAY

Conditioning/recovery
    -Treadmill, 25 minutes w/ slight incline
    -Contrast shower

WEDNESDAY

Deadlift
    -Crunches 4x10
    -Physioball rev hyper 4x10
    -RDL's 95 5x10
    -Standing calf raises 3x15
    -Dbll revers curls 20 5x10

Anothe wimpy workout. My back started to feel a tad better after the crunches and rev hypers. I knew I should not put any real weight on a bar. I figured some super light rdl's would keep my moving.

Just two more days until I see the doc.

Thursday
    Conditioning/recovery

-Treadmill, 25 minutes steady with slight incline
    -I skipped recovery and should not have!

Friday
    ME Bench
    -Rev band bench worked up to 635x0, 605x1
    -3 board press 225/275/315/335/365/405x12
    -Band pushdowns 3x15
    -Rev band pulldowns 3x15

I felt horribly weak this entire workout. For the rev band bench I was using a comp grip. I knew I was going to miss the 635 before I even got under the bar. I mind screwed myself and I was acomplete biatch. I dropped down to 605 and moved my grip in and got that with no problem. After that, my pecs and especially my left shoulder felt screwed up. I performed all of my board presses elbows out instead of tucked.

What was cool about the evening is that we trained in a different facility. Yeah, Brian douched us and we could not train at our usual spot. I guess I don't have to pretend to like Brian this week. Anyway it all worked out very well. We trained at Beast Gym in Trumbull, CT http://www.beastgym.com/ . The owner Erik Eggers trained with us. He was a very cool guy and really strong. It was a great space with really nice equipment. If you are in the area you should definitely check it out.

Saturday
    Conditioning/recovery

-Treadmill, 25 minutes steady
    -Foam rolling and stretching
    -Contrast shower
    -Inversion table

Oh, I almost forgot, had my visit with the doc on Friday. This guy has been keeping me in one piece for years. If you live in CT and need a sports doctor check out Dr. Stu Steinman at WestSports Medicine http://www.westsportsmedicine.com/Home.html he's the man. Tell him I sent you. Anyway, he prescribed me PT for my back. It's what I thought I needed. I'm going back to Peter Zielinski in Monroe, CT. Another great guy keeping athletes in their game. So, my vitals were all excellent. My bp was 120/70. The doc was also very complimentary. He told me "You always looked big, but now you look really fit also." Of course I was super pleased to hear that. Next, I go for blood work on Tuesday. I'll be hoping for good results there also.

As Rex Ryan said on Hard Knocks, "They are trying to keep me on the reservation,"

Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-21-2010 at 08:03 PM.

What's goin on Vin! Good to hear things are going well for you, and good luck with the blood work. Everything looks great.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    What's goin on Vin! Good to hear things are going well for you, and good luck with the blood work. Everything looks great.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I hope things are going well with you also. I just have to get my back in good working order now, well, I'd settle for good enough working order.

Just a few more days to get in on my upcoming seminars before the price goes up. Get in before Sept 1 for the best rate.

Reno seminar with me, Chad Aiches, and Matt Rhodes http://www.fitnessreno.com/powerlift...pt-18-19-2010/

Boston seminar with me, Matt Rhodes and Juliet Deane http://totalperformancesports.com/in...d=51&Itemid=62

Sunday-Squat

-SSB seated gm's barx10
    -Standing ab pulldowns w/band 4x10
    -SSB box squats 270/295/320x10
    -Shrugs 50 5x10
    -Straigh bar curls 60 5x10

-Inversion table

My back definitely felt better as a result of this workout. It does not feel great, but it does not feel as vulnerable. I am experiencing some pain in my left thigh and into my knee. I think this is related to my back. PT next week. Until then it's all a big guess.

Monday-Bench

-Dbll press on physioball 50 1x10, 50 2x40
    -Pushdowns 30 5x20
    -Fat man pullups 5x12
    -Face pulls 20 5x12

This was not a planned deload. I'm just feeling a little tender. My left shoulder is bothering me. I figured I'd get a little break and see what happens Friday. Maybe competing three times already this year has taken it's toll on me. I'll have just have to listen to my body and figure it out as I go.

Tuesday-Conditioning

I dethatched the lawn for an hour. I was sweating and panting harder than I do on most of my treadmill sessions. I figured that was enough conditioning.

Just a few more days to get in on my upcoming seminars before the price goes up. Get in before Sept 1 for the best rate.

Reno seminar with me, Chad Aiches, and Matt Rhodes
    http://www.fitnessreno.com/powerlift...pt-18-19-2010/

Boston seminar with me, Matt Rhodes and Juliet Deane http://totalperformancesports.com/in...d=51&Itemid=62

-Sland board situps 4x10
    -Physioball rev hypers 3x10 add band 1x10
    -Trap bar dl upper handles 275,295,320x5
    -Dbll hammer curl 20/20/40x10
    -Calf raises 3x15

I'll be a son of a gun, my back is feeling better. I'm going to stick with deload numbers for a couple of weeks. I'll still see my pt next Monday, but I'm feeling hopeful.

Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-25-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Thursday 8-26-10

Cardio

AM treadmill, 25 minutes steady with incline

Friday 8-27-10
    ME Bench

-Bench, close grip raw 235x10, 225x5, 315x5, 405x2, 495x1 added Metal Ace 585x1 to 2 board, 675x1 to 1 board, 765 to chest x 0, 765 to 1/2 board x 1, 785 to chest x 1, 805x3 to 3 board, 815x3 to 3 board
    -Key Presses 30/35/40 x 15
    -Seated pulley rows, I dont remember the weight, ut i did 5 sets of 12
    -H-rolls 30 2x15
    -Indian club swings 4x10 each arm

Some recent correspondence with Travis made me want to put my shirt on. I'll start off by saying, the first reason is because I felt super weak and did not want to suffer through a raw max effort exercise. Second, I don't want to forget my groove in the shirt. Anyway, I was adjusting the shirt all over the place on warmups. I was trying to protect my left shoulder which is a little banged up. So when I got to my first set to the chest, the collar was pulled down very low and the shirt was completely off my shoulders. I could not get 765 to touch. So, I played around with the shirt some more, I got it back on my shoulders and just belted it. I took 765 to a 1/2 board with no problem.

Karsten and Rhodes both came over and reminded me of my pr meet in Jersey last January. After missing my second attempt of 820 and perseverating on shirt adjustments I just told Karsten we don't need to do anything to the shirt other than belt it. Away I went and hit a nice pr. So we just snugged and belted the shirt for the rest of the sets. I went 785 to the chest and if felt really good. Since I already had the shirt on I decided to make my supplemental movement board presses in the shirt. I also figured I'd make it my high intensity tri day. The 805 and 815 x 3 felt good.

Did lots of volume and some good lifting on a night when I did not think I'd have it in me. SFW! Alright, enough of my inane blathering. Here's the vid.

Video

Supplements I'm currently taking
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-27-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Saturday 8/28/20
    Conditioning

-Treadmill, 25 minutes hiit

Sunday 8/29/10
    Squat

-Treadmill and foam roll warmup
    -SSB gm's 3x10
    -Band ab pulldowns 4x10
    -SSB box squats 275/290x5, 320x10
    -Dbll shrugs 60/70/80/70/60x15
    -Gaspari bar curls 25/45/65/45/25x15

Had a terrible back ache in my lat this morning. I was not sure if it was from sleeping or from Friday's benching. I wondered if I should train. I figure it would be too easy to skip it, so I took the harder route. I got on the treadmill and then foam rolled to warm up. My lat still ached. I figured if abs or gm's hurt, I'd pack it in. On to squats (which are still just deload numbers until I see my pt) I told myself I'd stop if they hurt. They didn't. That's why I did 10 instead of 5 on my last set. Again, no problems. I finished with a little trap and bicep work. I liked pyramiding up and down. I figured I could use the extra work.

When all was said and done, my back felt fine. If I had used my back as an excuse not to train, I'd probably still be in pain. I guess the moral of the story is to try and work through things, but be smart and listen to your body. Don't let your mind take the easy way out.

Supplements I'm currently taking
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-29-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Good work Vin, working through the pain and all, glad it all worked out for you. Good stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Good work Vin, working through the pain and all, glad it all worked out for you. Good stuff.
    Thanks. Great avatar.

Monday 8/30/10

Conditioning

-Treadmill, 20 minutes hiit
    -Hamstring/back stretches

Went to the pt today. He believes there is some pressure on a nerve from a disc causing my pain. He said the squatting and deadlifting were smart of me to do. I have a tendency to take the curve out of my spine. Squatting and deadlifting force me to push my butt back and create that curve. So I have about 8 weeks of appointments and some stretches and exercises to do at home. It should not slow me down.

I also got good news from my sports doc. He phoned to let me know my blood work is great. I am very pleased with this. So now, my vitals are all good, my bloodwork is good, and I have been off my asthma medication for about 4 months or so.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-31-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Its good to hear your back is alright, and your working with a good PT.
    "What is the strongest cure?—Victory."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

“You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."

-Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Tuesday 8/31/10

-Speed bench 225 4x3 added doubled mini's 4x3
    -Key press 40/50/60/70/80x10
    -Face pulls 50 3x15
    -Hamstring/back stretching

-Contrast shower

I am back to teaching and am a bit of a baby about it. I am aware that most people work, but getting back in the swing can be trying. That combined with training DE bench on Tuesday instead of Monday left me not wanting to lift. So I figured I would take it easy so I could be ready for Friday. I have definitely been feeling a little weak. I am not certain whether it is my body trying to tell me something or I am just unmotivated. However, I am pleased that I did not just blow off training. Some work is better than no work.