The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 70 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3106
    Sunday 11-28-10
    Squat day

-Kneeling band pulldowns 3x20
    -Seated SSB gm's w/doubled mini bands 3x10
    -SSB box squats 315/365x3, 415x10
    -Dbl shrugs 40 3x20
    -Blast strap curls 5x10
    -Grip stic 3x20

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Great speed on the bench! Looks more like speed work than ME!

Sorry I couldn't make it on Friday. Bench is looking good. Looks like I missed a rare appearance of the Fetzer. Good to see he's still alive.

Can't wait to see you this week so we can snuggle.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

The nice thing is you can see you COULD touch if you wanted to which I think is alot different than just not touching. Your speed is awesome and you can see how much that leg drive is giving you. Really nice technique Vin! (Not that you didn't already know that lol) I'm actually really amazed how small of a stroke you have with such a small arch. I've got a bunch of questions for you regarding the foot placement when benching like that. I have my feet under me so I'm always looking for way to help coach my guys that bench with their feet out front like that. Be expecting about 1000 questions when we hit up lunch in January! LOL

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Sorry I couldn't make it on Friday. Bench is looking good. Looks like I missed a rare appearance of the Fetzer. Good to see he's still alive.

Can't wait to see you this week so we can snuggle.
    Thanks. Yeah, Eric stopped by. It was good to see him. Seeing old partners reminds me of the good ol' Southside days.

As much as I'd like to snuggle with you my furry friend, I am only deloading so I am going to check out a Christmas Party with my colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Great speed on the bench! Looks more like speed work than ME!
    Thanks, I am really getting the fee of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    The nice thing is you can see you COULD touch if you wanted to which I think is alot different than just not touching. Your speed is awesome and you can see how much that leg drive is giving you. Really nice technique Vin! (Not that you didn't already know that lol) I'm actually really amazed how small of a stroke you have with such a small arch. I've got a bunch of questions for you regarding the foot placement when benching like that. I have my feet under me so I'm always looking for way to help coach my guys that bench with their feet out front like that. Be expecting about 1000 questions when we hit up lunch in January! LOL
    Shucks big man, you sure know how to make a fella feel good about himself. I can't wait until we catch up in January. It's going to be a great time.

Thanks everyone for checking out my log, I appreciate it.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Sunday 11-28-10
    Squat

-Seated ssb gm's with doulbed mini band 3x10
    -Kneeling ab pulldowns w/band 3x20
    -SSB squats 315/365x3, 415x10
    -Dbl shrugs 40 3x20
    -Blast strap curls 5x10
    -Grip stic 3x20

Monday 11-29-10
    Dynamic Bench

-Warmup, Indian clubs 6x10, hip/groin swings 4x10, jumping jacks 4x10
    -Bench, bar 2x25, 95 3x20, 135x10, 235 5x5
    -One arm seated dbl press 50 5x10
    -Fat bar D rows 120 5x10
    -Fat Bar pushdowns 70 5x10
    -Face Pulls 70 5x10
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Nice work on the SSB squats, 415x10 is strong sh1t!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Nice work on the SSB squats, 415x10 is strong sh1t!!!!
    Thanks, I don't know how legit I'd say they are. I use a box, but am not really box squatting. I have my box set on the lowest setting and I have a 5" piece of foam on it. I am not sitting all the way down on the box. For now I am focusing on compressing the foam and coming up right before I'd be sitting on the box. I like squatting really wide. So I need to know where to stop before I wreck my hips and groin. Plus, I am just a bench only guy, so I don't hold myself to crazy standards. I just want to move some weight because I know it helps my bench. Long story short, I am forever trying to figure out how not to hurt myself.

I'll try and shoot some vid this weekend so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-02-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Long story short, I am forever trying to figure out how not to hurt myself.
    EPIC quote right there! LMAO

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Long story short, I am forever trying to find new ways to hurt myself.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by drew; 12-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I think that's what makes it more impressive, that your a bench only guy and still can squat a nice amount of weight.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Tuesday 11-30-10
    Conditioning/recovery

-Treadmill, 25 minutes hiit
    -Foam roll and stretch

These conditioning/recovery days feel and I'm sure on here, look like Groundhog Day--the movie. However, I cannot stress enough how important they are. When I take time off from them I stiffen up, feel like crap, and end up in a cycle of getting lazy.

Wednesday 12-1-10
    Deadlift

-Swiss ball rev hyper 3x10
    -Swiss bal crunches 3x10
    -Trap bar dl 135/225/340x5, 395x3, 440x10
    -Dbll hammer curls 20/30/40/40/40x10
    -Standing calf raises 5x10
    -Grip stic 3x20

Was not very motivated for this one. I was watching tv and just going through the motions. I do a very wimpy version of 5/3/1 for my squat and dl. I think I based the numbers on 500 or so when Jim's book first came out. I am not progressive from month to month because I end up hurting my back or can be just plain apathetic about them as a bench only guy.

Anyway when I got to my last set of dl I just had to do a single. I was feeling pretty useless so I set my mind to do a few reps. I felt like I needed a little motivation so I went upstairs to get my Ipod Nano. Sure enough, I plugged it into the stereo and the battery was dead. I plugged in an old Shuffle I had lying around and that had no juice either. Now I was pissed because I should not need to create motivation for myself. So I went over to the chalk bucket and as I leaned over I said out loud "I bet my broher wishes he could be here right now to do this." After that I banged out then 10 reps. I was good for more, but I have a strain in my right foot and one of my hands cramped.

Now I know this is not a huge accomplishment, but it's better than doing the lousy single I planned on doing.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-02-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Hey man, nice work with that 680. Hey< had a question for ya. I find I am really havin trouble recovering from my ME day by wed for DE day. Any ideas? I just cant hardly do anything on my DE day cause I am so beat up. I have been doin the ice, ibuprofen, contrast showers and all. havent done any recovery supps. I been eating more to try and help, but that just leads me to gaining weight and I wanna stay around 285 to make that an easy drop.

I thought about going to more of a rep day and bodyb uilding stuff to keep it easier, but when I drop speed it really affects my ME bench.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Hey man, nice work with that 680. Hey< had a question for ya. I find I am really havin trouble recovering from my ME day by wed for DE day. Any ideas? I just cant hardly do anything on my DE day cause I am so beat up. I have been doin the ice, ibuprofen, contrast showers and all. havent done any recovery supps. I been eating more to try and help, but that just leads me to gaining weight and I wanna stay around 285 to make that an easy drop.

I thought about going to more of a rep day and bodyb uilding stuff to keep it easier, but when I drop speed it really affects my ME bench.
    Hey Paul, how is your conditioning? I have found that since I have upped my conditioning and train 4 days a week I can handle DE days again. When I was only training 3 days a week with no conditioning my body could not handle DE. I think for me it was a matter of building work capacity.

Another thing I just thought of is trying foam rolling for your upper body the day after ME. I roll my lats, triceps, pecs, and shoulders. You could try that first for a few weeks and see if that will solve your problem.

Best of luck and keep me informed. Hopefully we'll get this resolved for you.

12-3-10 Deload Bench

-Bench to foam roller 405 3x5
    -Bbl tri ext 135 5x5
    -Blast strap inverted row 5x10
    -Rolling dbl tri ext 30 3x20 w/seated dbl clean 30 3x10

Rhodes came over and we got some work done in my basement. I don't have boards so we just stuck the foam roller under my shirt. Rhodes said every rep hit in the same place. My form is getting really solid. I have a triple with 700 next week. I'm looking forward to it.

12-5-10 Squat

-Kneeling band pulldowns 3x20
    -Seated SSB gm's w/doubled mini bands 3x10
    -SSB box squats 335x5, 390x3, 440x10
    -Bbl shrugs 135 3x20
    -Cambered bar curl w/4 chains 5x10
    -Grip stic 3x20

Captain Rhodes came by again. He did some foam rolling and stretching while I trained. It's cool having some human company when I train (Harley our rottie is my usual training partner, but she sucks at spotting). We had the nfl network and talked ball. It's a pretty leisurely training session for me on Sunday's.

I knew I was right to tell you guys not to give me too much credit on my squat. So today I had Rhodes video and I could not believe how high they were. Afterwards I checked my box and it was on the last pin. I know in the past I had pulled the pins and bottomed it out. It's a good 2" lower like that. So I'm glad I had Rhodes and he took vid from the side.

So here's some vid of nose bleed squats w/a bench only bizatch:
    Video
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Some football thoughts. I was glad to see the Cowboys pulled it out. They would have definitely lost if Philips had still been coaching. I think Garret is doing an excellent job. I believe the only luck you have in life is that which you create for yourself. I believe Dallas is starting to figure that out.

I'm excited to see the Jets play tonight. I hope they can pull it out against the Pats. I'd like to see a Jets Giants superbowl in honor of my brother. Those are his teams. That Eli does not make things easy.

I was also glad to see UCONN make a BCS bowl. It is nice to see them build a program the state can be proud of. They do not play the most exciting brand of ball, but they gut it out and I like that.

Thanks. I will give the foam rolling a try. I am gonna be upping my conditioning for a bit now. I have to lose about 6-7 pounds cause I got to fat for my shirt. Qdoba(burrito place like chipotle) opened by my house and I have gained 7 pounds since they opened lol

Little bit of cardio and moving through my workout faster should work. Maybe add in some more sets in the shirt on ME day as well. I think the conditioning is the key. I lost from 315 to 278 a few months ago. Really focused on my conditioning and when I came back to lifting heavy I could go heavy without being gassed and DE was no problem.

Thanks for the help!

BTW... Looks like Rob should be in for Pro/am.....gonna be a good one!
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Monday 12-6-10

-Floor press 275 5x5
    -Seated overhead rack lockouts 315 3x5
    -D rows 120 5x10
    -Pushdowns 60 3x20 ss w/face pulls 60 3x20

Tuesday 12-7-10

-Treadmill, 25 minutes hiit
    -Foam roll and stretch
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-08-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Wednesday 12-8-10
    Deadlift

-Swiss ball rev hyper 3x11
    -Swiss ball crunches 3x11
    -Trap bar dl 275/295/315x5
    -Dbl concentration curls 20 5x10
    -Calf raises 5x12
    -Grip stic 3x20

Easy deload day. Used a timer and kept rest between 1 minute between all sets. So basically by the time the bar was loaded on dl I went again.

Thursday 12-9-10
    Conditioning/Recovery

-35 minute walk with 20 lb weight vest
    -Prowler sprints 30 yards x 6

I'm just realizing now that I forgot to roll. However, I did the extra prowler sprints. I am going to try and do them more often.

Got 700x3 on bench tonight. Can't wait.

Hey Vin. What's your shirted bench program look like? I'd be interested to take a look and maybe incorporate it.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Work looks good man.
    Last edited by rockofages; 12-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    "Expect greatness from yourself and you'll get it. Greatness isn't measured in world records. It's measured in setting and breaking your own goals and records." Matt Rhodes EFS

www.youtube.com/danny52wn

I'm looking forward to seeing a video of your speed work with 700!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

12-10-10 Friday
    Bench

-Bench w/60 Ace, 500/600/700x3 w/62 Ace 700/750x1
    -Floor press inside grip 135/225/315/405x5, 405x10
    -CSR 105 5x10
    -Tate presses 30 2x20
    -H rolls 30 3x10

Damn, I was spent. atter this session. Some seams in the armpit are giving away a little in my shirt. I got a new shirt, but then Rhodes offered up his 60 because it would be more broken in. I used his shirt and only got within 3 or so inches of touching. The reps felt fine, I was just much closer to touching with the 60 I had been working in. I think I am going to try and get the seams reinforced on the original shirt. I don't want to spend the better part of this cycle for the Lexen breaking in a shirt.

I put on my 62 after that. I just want to find an easy opener. I took 700 first and did not touch. I went 750 after that. I did not touch, but was close. Maybe next week I'll wet the shirt and make sure not to pull it too tightly.

Regardless of touching, I got lots of reps in. My form is solid and my lockout is improving nicely. Completed some floor presses afterwards. They felt less than good on my shoulder, but I got work in. Hammered some csr's and I was all but spent. I know the csr's look light, but the machine's lever is about 50 feet long, or at least it feels like that. Did some light tri and rear delt work. Another night in the books.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Strong shirt work and floor presses!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Hey Vin. What's your shirted bench program look like? I'd be interested to take a look and maybe incorporate it.
    You'll have to pay to find out. Muahhahahahaaaa! Seriously, I am playing with some reps and percentages right now. We'll talk in Philly. I'll gladly tell you for 7-8 cheesesteaks.