The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 72 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3106
    Yeah, I get a lot of **** from my training partners too telling me I shouldnt do something or to take it easier so I can come back strong. I am always fighting doing too much and doing too little. I have trouble finding that nice middle ground....I am usually all in or all out lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

The Philly Seminar is closed. We have 45 paid. We don't want it to get any bigger because we would not have enough time to offer hands on training to everyone. If you did not get in and wanted to, send me a pm. We are putting a list together for another trip to Philly. Thanks for all the interest. This is going to be a great time.

We are also trying to effort a Vegas Seminar. Now that could be fun. Let us know if you are interested.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

12-23-10 Thursday
    Deload Bench and I'm outta here!

-Bench 95/135/185x10, 225/275/315/365x3, 405x10
    -D rows 140 5x15
    -Face pulls 50 5x15
    -Rolling dbl tri ext 40 5x15

Well, Brian cancelled the gym on us again. He said he had an emergency dental situation. Personally I think he's in the beginning stages of his sexual reassignment. So Rhodes stopped by and we hit a little deload session in the basement.

This worked out well because Matt picked up on same lazy habits I am getting with my benching. It was good to deload and brush up on form a little. I also picked up another tidbit by watching the big man. I have gotten in a habit of working my face pulls too low. I have pretty much turned it into upper back work. Anyway, I got that back in order tonight. All went well for an unplanned deload session. Now with the last two weeks being f'd I have to rework my training for the Lexen.

So I am going to the Bahamas with my wife and parents for Christmas. With my brother's passing last year, the Christmas holiday is just an off time. I think my parents figured a change in scenery would be good.

Jess and I are such homebodies. We are going to miss being at home during this time and especially miss our dog Harley. She's going to stay at fat camp, my sister in law's. We call it fat camp because she does not give her nearly as many treats as we do so harley ends up losing a pound or two when we are away. Also, we love snow and it looks like we are going to miss a big storm. Boo hoo for us huh? A trip to the Bahamas isn't so bad I guess.Time to bust out the pink speedo.

We are leaving early tomorrow in the a.m. and I don't know how much access I'll have to a computer. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday with family and friends. Be healthy, happy, and safe. I hope you all find some new powerlfiting gear and pr's under your tree.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 12-23-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

1-3-11
    I'm baaaack!

Alright, I'll just say vacation was good. Weather was ok, it was a little cold in the Bahamas and a little overcast. I have some pics, I'll get them up eventually. Atlantis is a wild resort. Sharks and stingrays are in crazy tanks all over. I even got to see some as I passed through a tube on a water ride. I also got douched on a water slide. I hit my head, neck, knee, and ankle. That was the end of that.

Jess and I were sad we missed the big snowstorm. We love the snow. I ate like crap, but I did train. Here's a recap

Sunday 12-26-10
    -Eliptical 30 minutes
    -Squat 155/245/335/425x5
    -Shrugs 90 3x20
    -Calf raises 3x20
    -Mcgill situps 4x25

Monday
    -Eliptical 30 minutes
    *Jess got me a great massage for Christmas and we spent some quality time in the spa. What can I say, the big guy likes to be pampered.

Tuesday
    -Eliptical 30 minutes
    -Cable crossover flies 4x20
    -One arm pushdowns 4x20
    -Side laterals 4x10

Wednesday
    -Elitptical 30 minutes
    -Row machine 5x10
    -Dbl curls 5x10
    -Cable ab pulldowns 3x20

I specifically did not press. I'm having a shoulder and a tricep issue and figured some time would help.

It's good to be home.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-03-2011 at 08:32 PM.

I'm a wussy! I was just watching the biggest loser and I realized I don't train hard for crap. (I have not watched the show since my brother passed, it's very tough for me) Anyway, I can't remember the last time I really yelled in agony or puked from training. I have to start dialing things up.

I am behind a few days on my log, but it doesn't matter. It's time to train harder! I have to stop making excuses. I'll be back to it tomorrow.

I hope the guys at the gym are ready for a pep talk on Friday.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.

I watched that too Vin. I was kind of surprised they let Rulon Gardner on there. If I was a contestant he'd be my first target. An ex-Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling has to be disciplined, know how to cut weight, and be used to grueling workouts. He'd be my first target to go.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

I'll listen to your pep talk as long as it doesn't disrupt the ritual laying down and pushing of heavy things off of ourselves. I am kind of looking forward to that.

This is going to be a big year.

I missed you.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I watched that too Vin. I was kind of surprised they let Rulon Gardner on there. If I was a contestant he'd be my first target. An ex-Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling has to be disciplined, know how to cut weight, and be used to grueling workouts. He'd be my first target to go.
    Yeah, I might try to watch this season. It was funny to hear him say the biggest loser workouts were tougher than any olympic workout he'd ever had. That's when the light bulb went on for me. I can train harder! Hope all is well buddy, See you in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I'll listen to your pep talk as long as it doesn't disrupt the ritual laying down and pushing of heavy things off of ourselves. I am kind of looking forward to that.

This is going to be a big year.

I missed you.
    The pep talk is exactly about laying down and pushing thing up. It's the other crap we can do without. It's up to us to make this a big year.

Can't wait to catch up my friend.

Wed 1-6-11
    Deload DL

-McGill situps 3x15 ss w/swiss ball rev hypers 3x15
    -Trap bar dl 135/225/275/295/320x5
    -Hammer curls 40 3x15 ss w/calf raises 3x15
    -Grip stick 3x20 ss w/external dbl shoulder rotations 10 3x10

Alright, so I knew it was going to be a light deload, but I used a timer and made sure to only take one minute break between sets. All of which were supersets other than the dl. It was not earth shattering, but I made sure to keep a good pace as to treat it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I was very surprised to see him on the show also. My wife thought I was stupid because I was making a big deal about it.......she just doesn't understand, lol!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

1/8/11 Friday
    Bench

-Bench, warmup worked to 500x1, put on bench shirt to three board 600x2, 600x0, took off shirt 550x1
    -Close grip 4 board 500x3, 550x3, 405x19
    -Rev band pulldowns, avg bandx10, 2 avg bands x10, 2 avg and mini x10, 2 avg and 2 mini 2x10, 1x20
    -Rolling dbl tri ext 50 2x20
    -Blast strap face pulls 2x20

Ok, interesting night. First off, it took Rhodes and I 2.5 hrs to make the half hour drive due to a snow storm. When everyone was together we had a pep talk. We need to make sure we are keeping the bs down, pushing weights, and pushing each other.

Weights started moving and everyone did well. DD, Josh, and Brian all hit a quality openers for their upcoming meet. Rhodes pushed three great raw singles. The guys are dialed in. Tee has broken his shirt in and is ready to dial it up for the Lexen.

Now for me, I am fighting off some shoulder pain. Interestinly, I can work it so it hardly bothers me raw. However, I have become incapable of pressing in the shirt. It hurts so damned bad I hate it! So after a few painful attempts I decided to just hit another set raw. I got a comfortable 550.

I am pleased with my effort because I have not been training for raw. Plus, I am happy just to be able to lift. If my career would be over tomorrow I am very proud of what I have accomplished. Now it's all gravy. So if my body will only allow me to lift raw then so be it. If I can ge the shirt on again, then great. No need to sweat doing the thing I love. So I am going to program raw for a few weeks and then if my shoulder allows I'll give shirted a try. Worse comes to worse I'll bench raw at the Lexen if they'll allow me.

All considered it was a good session. I was only pissed I missed the 20th rep on the 405 board press. I was sweating and breathing heavy. I know I accomplished something.

1/9/11 Sat
    Back and biceps

-D rows 50/70/90/110/130/150/170/190x10
    -1 arm dbl rows 30/40/50/60/70x10
    -Band pullaparts 2x20
    -Curl bar w/mini bands 2x10, 1x20
    -Dbl hammer conc curl 30 2x10, 1x20

Good quick back and bi session. I want to train more so I am adding in this day. Plus I am going to be using more of a traditional Westside program for everything. It's time to get better.

Hey bro sorry again I couldn't make it Friday. Just too many close calls on my drive home from work to even risk going back out again. I reeally had every intention of coming until the last 2 miles of my drive.

Sucks about the Lexen, but that's life. I was planning to do the IPA meet at the end of March in RI. Just think, you would get to outbench me raw while I'm in the shirt.

God willing, we will train together again someday soon. I can't deal with this solo benching bullcrap anymore. I swear if Brian bails on us I'll bench at Planet Fitness if I have to. And that just made me throw up in my mouth a little (don't worry, I swallowed it back down.)

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Hey bro sorry again I couldn't make it Friday. Just too many close calls on my drive home from work to even risk going back out again. I reeally had every intention of coming until the last 2 miles of my drive.

Sucks about the Lexen, but that's life. I was planning to do the IPA meet at the end of March in RI. Just think, you would get to outbench me raw while I'm in the shirt.

God willing, we will train together again someday soon. I can't deal with this solo benching bullcrap anymore. I swear if Brian bails on us I'll bench at Planet Fitness if I have to. And that just made me throw up in my mouth a little (don't worry, I swallowed it back down.)
    I heart Drew.

Lexen out--SPF in.

Can't wait to train with you again my friend. Maybe come this spring after the winter thaw.

1/9/11 Sunday
    ME Squat

-Crunches 5x10
    -Avg band gm's 5x10
    -SSB box squat 155/245/295/335/385/425/475/500x3
    -TKE's 3x10

Westside it is. Kind of a traditional ME Squat day I'd say. I am going to stick with triples as to not tax my cns too much with singles. I am going to switch up exercises weekly. I don't know how often I'll use this one. I pulled the pins on the box and it was low. I had foam on it, but I usually touch and go. With these I sat all the way and stopped for a second before coming back up. I think that kind of compression might be a bit much on my back. Who knows, maybe I'll toughen up.

hmmm. Looks like I'm benching raw then at the Ironman

Time for me to get to work

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    hmmm. Looks like I'm benching raw then at the Ironman

Time for me to get to work
    Very cool! I don't know if I'll make 275's. I'm just sick and tired of dieting. I might come in around 285-290. You scared me out of the class my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Very cool! I don't know if I'll make 275's. I'm just sick and tired of dieting. I might come in around 285-290. You scared me out of the class my friend.
    haha! I doubt that. I'll probably be heavier as well, although not a 308. Right now I'm sitting around 260. Too much outdoor work leading up to that meet really made it difficult to keep my weight on. I'll do better this time

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

1/10/11 Mon
    DE Bench

-DE bench all with doubled mini bands using three different grips 185 2x3, 225 2x3, 275 2x3, 315 2x3
    -Close grip pin presses 225/275/315/365x10
    -Plate raises 25 5x10
    -1 arm band pushdowns 2x25

DE work felt pretty good. It's so funny how the shoulder holds up fine raw. Anyway, still figuring out my program.

Looks like no school tomorrow. A big snow storm is headed our way. Jessica and I love snow storms. It should be a good time.

I look forward to seeing you at the Ironman, big guy. Maybe I can total what you bench!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Hey Vincent, I was just watching your 405 lb. OH press video and noticed that you didn't use a thumbless grip. How did you end up using that grip for that lift? I know you bench thumbless. Most lifters I've talked to press OH with a thumbless grip but don't use that grip for benching. Why do you use those grips for those lifts?

I also saw a video of you traing the OH press thumbless. Why didn't you use that grip to press the 405?

Good job on your max effort and speed day Vin!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    I look forward to seeing you at the Ironman, big guy. Maybe I can total what you bench!
    I look forward to the day you outlift me. Heck, I never thought I'd do what I have done. Focus on the process and not the results and amazing things happen over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by pricedtosell View Post
    Hey Vincent, I was just watching your 405 lb. OH press video and noticed that you didn't use a thumbless grip. How did you end up using that grip for that lift? I know you bench thumbless. Most lifters I've talked to press OH with a thumbless grip but don't use that grip for benching. Why do you use those grips for those lifts?

I also saw a video of you traing the OH press thumbless. Why didn't you use that grip to press the 405?
    I think I used that grip because I had to bring the bar lower than I was used to. I have horrible flexibility, so I would only bring the bar down to my chin. I remember sometimes the bar actually resting on that little area between my lips and chin as my head was cocked back. For the comp it had to go below your chin. I think I felt like I had a better grip on the bar and would not dump it forward if I used a normal grip.

Then again, I might have completely forgotten how I usually grip the bar. I don't train standing oaverhead often. My wife says I'm obtuse, I think Rhodes calls me "stupid strong." I don't know, I just like to SFW!

1/13/11-Wed
    DL, kind of...

Spent 3 hours shoveling snow. That counts for all the dl training I'll need right now. Plus, Dave Tate is helping me out with some programmng so I'm eagerly awaiting that. After going back and forth with him I am realizing what a mess my programming is.

I have decided to go raw and compete at the SPF Ironman. Everyone is benching on the same day. With the pros and ams lifting on the same day I'll get to compete with my friends. I feel bad that I am going to miss getting on the platform with Rob Luyando. We correspond a fair amount. I think he's a great guy and an amazing bencher. I'll also miss getting a chance to bench with Paul Key if he goes. I wonder what he benches? That being said, so many guys have gotten in touch with me and said the Ironman is a much better choice anyway. That was reassuring.

So, I'll be out of the shirt for a bit. I have spent well over a year going at it. I had good results, but it brutalized my body. I'm going to try out the Metal Double Ply King Bash Bencher. After corresponding with Al Caslow I think it might be a better choice in shirt for me than the Ace. Al was having some trouble in his shoulders also. When he switched to the Metal Double Ply King Bash Bencher the problem went away. After the SPF I'll take some time to break in the shirt properly then look for a meet in the summer.

In the meantime I am excited for the Philly semainar and then to see Rhodes and the boys compete at the IPA Jersey meet. I hope Snookie doesn't show up.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.