The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 74 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3106
    1-23-11 Sunday
    Sq/dl

-Standing band ab pulldowns 3x15
    -SSB seated GM's 3x10
    -SSB squat 155/185/245/295/325/365/415x3
    -Trap bar dl 325/365/415x3

Was beat from Saturday's seminar so I did not push any reps this week.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

How was the seminar?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    How was the seminar?
    The seminar was excellent. We had a packed house of close to 50. There were even some women there. Lots of lifters of all ages. During the hands we rotated groups. I felt pretty confident I was able to teach each and every attendee something new for their bench press.

Also, Iron Sport Gym in Philly is very cool. I can't believe more powerlifters don't go there. Big Tone came by. Wow, he's a monster. Anwyay, he is always looking for guys to join his crew.

There were many participants that want us to come back soon. Plus there were at least twenty people who did not get in when we cut it off. Looks like we'll be hitting Philly again.

Good times!
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-25-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Good grief!! That's a HUGE reverse bench with that grip!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Great training as always Vincent. Next time there is a Philly seminar my buddy and I plan to be there.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Glad to hear that it turned out good. Iron Sport Gym does look like a real nice gym to train at, just from the videos I have seen. Maybe one day me and the family can make a trip up there to one of your seminars.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Good grief!! That's a HUGE reverse bench with that grip!!
    Thanks, I hope you notice that it was reverse band. Not being cocky, I was a bit disappointed. I feel like I should have had more.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Great training as always Vincent. Next time there is a Philly seminar my buddy and I plan to be there.
    Cool, it's a good time. Look forward to it.

1/24/11 Monday
    DE Bench

-DE Bench (1st 3 reps inside ring, 2nd 3 reps middle grip, last 3 reps comp grip) 225 w/4 chains 4x3, 255 w/4 chains 5x3
    -Chain suspended bench, thumbs from smooth 505 2x5 (last week 445 1x5 and 495 1x5)
    -Plate raises 3x20
    -Chest supported rear delt raises 10 3x20
    -Underhand pulldowns w/handles 50 2x20
    -Rolling dbl tri ext 30 2x20
    -Band chest crossovers 2x20
    -Dbl shrugs 50 2x20

Kept the DE work much more controlled than usual. Dave told me I need to keep my form, not just concern myself with speed. Put some extra stress on my elbows, but I had not lingering effects.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Thanks, I hope you notice that it was reverse band. Not being cocky, I was a bit disappointed. I feel like I should have had more.
    I did indeed notice it was reverse bands.

Reverse bands are weird like that. So much depends on your position under the bands and how they are set up. The biggest factor that needs to be accounted for is putting heavy weight in your hands that week.

My best reverse band comp grip is 655. You almost hit that with a close grip!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I did indeed notice it was reverse bands.

Reverse bands are weird like that. So much depends on your position under the bands and how they are set up. The biggest factor that needs to be accounted for is putting heavy weight in your hands that week.

My best reverse band comp grip is 655. You almost hit that with a close grip!
    Alright, now I am even more motivated. I get to hit that exercise again this week. I hate that grip, but damnit I got something to shoot for.

1/25/11 Tuesday
    Conditioning/recovery

-Treadmill, 30 minutes steady
    -Foam rolling, 20 minutes
    -Being awesome, 24 hours a day
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-28-2011 at 07:28 AM.

1/26/11 Wed
    Back and biceps

-T-bar rows, 45/90/135/180x5 225 3x5 All with stop at bottom and 2 count at top
    -Reverse band rows 1x48, 1x53 (used doubled light bands set off pins, don't have strong bands at the house)
    -Close grip pullups band assisted, 2x12
    -Dbl hammer curls 30 2x15 (super concentrated)

Ok, I was very unmotivated for this workout when I started. Then I told my self it was not just a back and bicep session, it was another bench session. After the Tbar rows I felt like I had more left in me than I should. I hit the reverse band rows and the the pullups and my back was spent. I did a warmup set with the hammer curls, then I hit my two sets. I was cranking the music. When I finished, I felt like I helped my bench.

Two things that motivated me were things I took from Dave Tate and Brandon Lilly. Dave told me that all the work I do is to help my bench. I focused on that. Brandon posted on Outlaws how had a lousy meet experience. Long and short of it was, he got what he put into it. So, I need to remain focused even on the stuff I don't care much to do. I will create a stronger will for by just doing it and not questioning it.

This song sure helped me push through that workout-this is how live music should sound. Actually this is how all music should sound
    Video
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.

If you ever read my log over on Elite please give me a vote http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=137833&tid= Thanks
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-28-2011 at 12:32 PM.

1/28/11 Friday
    ME Bench

-Reverse band bench, thumbs from smooth, worked up to 675x1
    -Dumbell tri ext from floor, 50x15, 60 2x15
    -Rope pushdowns, 60 2x15, 50x20
    -Bent over side laterals, 25 3x20

I was very pleased with the rev band press. The guys think I might have been good for 700. Personally I think if a fly had crapped on the bar I would have missed it. It felt really f'ing heavy when it was handed off to me, but there was no way I was allowing my head to get in the way. The dumbell ext were hard and a little tough on the elbows. I need to ice tomorrow. I forced lots of blood in the triceps with the pushdowns and finished up the the bent over side laterals. It was a good session.

Good job Vin!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

My Weekend

Alright, just wanted to throw my congrats out to Rhodes, Brian, Josh, and Karsten. They all competed this weekend. Rhodes totaled 1800 raw (even though it will not be listed as raw because he wore knee wraps). His goal was a very doable 1700 for his first raw meet and he shattered that by 100 lbs. He had been injured a long time so it's good to see him back. He actually left some weight on the platform. His heaviest squat of 600 looked like a warmup.

Next on the list would be Karsten. Even though he's a lazy pos (but he's our lazy pos), he managed some pr's. Well done sir. You are about to get that big butt worked off. Get ready.

Josh managed some decent lifting even though he had less than a great training cycle. He almost gutted out a 700 lb pull. Now that would have been cool.

Last and least is Brian. He managed to get one bench in. Brian has lived in his shirt for a long time. Unfortunately he has not gotten any stronger. We're going to fix that!

Most importantly, me. I busted my cute little buns helping all the guys. My feet are sore from being on them all day. Plus my hands and forearms are killing me from wrapping knees and pulling shirts. I take credit for all successes and none of the failures. Seriously, I'm impressed with our guys. They all lift like they know what they are doing. I can't believe how many people are completely clueless with what they are doing. Here's a hint for all you guys starting out as well as for those who think you have made it (if you have made it--you'd know it), find a lifter that impresses you and emulate him or her. If that lifter does not jump around like a spaz than you should not either.

Ok, now on to my Sunday. It started with a morning mass for my brother. I met my parents and some friends. We went and had a nice breakfast afterwards. When Jess and I got home, it was time to get the snow off our roof and the ice out of our gutters. I used a hammer and a small battle axe off of a powerlifting trophy to get rid of the ice. Finally, a powerlifting trophy that has some worth. I had to stop after a while because my hands were so numb from the pounding that I let go of the axe and it almost got me. Next was the extension ladder to the second floor of my colonial to pull the snow off the roof.

Between the meet and the roof follies my shoulders, forearms and hands were completely shot. My hands felt so swollen I wouldn't have been surprised to look down and see a pair of Mickey Mouse hands.

So, through a great scientific process of realizing I was shot, I did not squat and deadlift. Yes, that's a scientific as you need to get about a deload. I completely blew off the rest of the day. Jess and I played like kids. We ate pizza and ice cream. I did not even look at a protein shake. It was a great day!

Sounds like an awesome weekend bro. We got some snow and ice headed out way tonight, should be fun, but I don't plan on clearing off the roof or gutters, hopefully we won't get quite that much.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

1/31/11 Monday
    DE Bench

-225 w/4 chains 3x3 (medium grip)
    -225 w/4 chains and doubled mini bands 3x3 (comp grip)
    -225 w/4 chains 3x3 (inside grip)

That was it, thank goodness. I reported to Dave how banged up my upper body felt so he told me just to hit my DE bench and forgo assistance.

DE is going well. For a long time I used to just push the weight as hard as possible with no concern for technique. Dave had me slow it down until my control was better. Now I'm finally starting to feel like I'm driving the bar instead of throwing it. My form is on spot and the speed is as good as ever.

2/2/11 Wed
    Back and Biceps

-Bent over rows, dead stop at bottom, held for a 2 count at top, 275 3x5
    -Reverse band row, double light band, 3x20
    -Band assisted pullups, neutral grip 2x8
    -Dbl hammer curls 20 3x30

With the way my rack is I used doubled light bands for the rev band row. They worked pretty well. All my back work was done with straps. I am not sure whether my hands/forearms are still bothering me, or it's just the fact my grip is that of a 12 year old girl, I needed some help. I definitely felt worked.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-02-2011 at 11:24 AM.

275lb rows are huge Vin. Strong.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    275lb rows are huge Vin. Strong.
    Thanks. I have no frame of reference. I never do these. I kept them very strict. With my low back issues I don't want to be jerking weight around in that position.

2/3/11 Thurs
    Conditioning/recovery

-Treadmill 30 minutes, interval training
    -Low back stretch
    -Softball roll
    pecs
    shoulders
    triceps
    forearms
    -Foam roll
    back
    neck
    it bands
    hamstrings
    quads
    glutes
    lats
    triceps
    pecs
    shoulders
    -Shoulder traction wih strong band 5 directions
    -Iced elbows w/compression

I am winding down cardio to twice a week now that the meet is around a month away. I really did not feel like stretching, rolling, etc, however, it was time to build will. I hit the upper body with the softball. After that I first thought, ah, I'm just a bencher, no need to hit the lower body. Then I got my lazy ass on the ground with the foam roller. I figured I'd end up stretching my upper body by contorting myself in all the positions I need to hit with the roller. Again, another internal battle ensued. I hit the upper body with the softball, so no need to use the foam roller on it, right? Ok, I did it. When all was finished, I felt like it would ultimately make me a better bencher. That's why we do the things we do.

I skipped squatting this week as well.

My 2 cents, if I had to guess I'd say all that hammering on the ice in your gutters and roof is what shot your elbows. That impact can be pretty jarring.

"Finally, a powerlifting trophy worth something" LOL!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com