Page 99 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Murderous View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Vince. Are you focusing on raw this year or are you going to go with the gear? Good luck at the Last Man Standing Bench competition.
    Gear for the summer and then hopefully back to raw for a meet early winter if I can find one close.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Saturday 4/14/12-Conditioning/recovery

-Sled drag down, upper body exercises chest press, hang cleans, curls, tri ext
    -Return trip, sprints
    -Total time, 20 minutes

Contrast shower

So I decided to combine conditioning with some recovery work. I have read that because there is no negative to sled exercises it's great for reccovery and will not lend to soreness. Well, I woke up sore as $hit! So much for sled dragging for recovery. However, I really enjoyed sprinting with the sled. It goes with my running theme. I will keep this part in my program.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Sunday 4/15/12 -Squat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upper and Lower warmup
    SSB Box Squat w/narrow stance 395/440/495x3 switched to wide stance 205 5x10
    Chain curls 3x15

Monday 4/16/12-Raw Bench
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upper and Lower warmup
    Rolled pecs with softball
    Bench w/4 chains, paused each rep 135/225/315/365x5
    Incline pinkies on ring, paused each rep 135/225/315/345x5
    Pullups, regular, wide, and neutral grip band assisted 3x10
    Seated dbl cleans 10 2x20

Pecs were really sore for this session. I am just going to have to adjust to benching a little heavier on Monday workouts than I'm used to. I also have to step up my recovery.

On a good note, this should be the last session I have to liftoff for myself (I think that causes a lot of stress on my pecs). I have a pair of mono style hooks coming. They swing so the weight gets to the right position to start and then swing back once you take the weight.

Tuesday 4/17/12 -Conditioning/Recovery

Light stretching
    40 minute walk with 40 lb weight vest
    Foam roll upper and lower
    Contrast shower

Wednesday 4/18/12 - Deadlifting

Light stretching upper body
    Warmup lower body
    Trap bar speed dl w/short mini bands 305 8x1
    TKE's 2x25
    Rev kettlebell curls 25 3x10
    Physio ball planks 2x30 seconds

The dl felt pretty light. I'll use a higher percentage next week and or change the band setup. The physio ball planks were brutal. I almost lost my pre-workout meal doing them. I've seen my wife do them so I thought I should give them a try. I now hate her.

We all hate her Vin.

And by hate I mean love.

And by love I mean she scares me a little. (Please don't tell her I said this)

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    We all hate her Vin.

And by hate I mean love.

And by love I mean she scares me a little. (Please don't tell her I said this)
    That was awesome!

4/19/12 - Thursday

40 minute walk with weight vest
    Moist heat on pecs/shoulders for recovery
    Foam roll

Vincent, when you mention you have always used a looser bench shirt, what's usually the lightest weight you can touch with? I'm guessing you don't usually put it on till at least over 500, but can you pretty much touch everything from there up?
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Vincent, when you mention you have always used a looser bench shirt, what's usually the lightest weight you can touch with? I'm guessing you don't usually put it on till at least over 500, but can you pretty much touch everything from there up?
    April, I was speaking in relative terms as of late. I was able to get my shirt on with one tug from a friend. However, I was still having trouble wearing a shirt like that. I have seen guys take 20 minutes getting into a shirt. I have not and don't think I ever could. I have now been experimenting with shirts I can actually put on myself.

I am actually going back to raw for a bit. However, I will still compete in the Last Man Standing Bench Contest in PA this summer (I don't really have to train for that aggressively). I really want the 600 raw at 275. Being that I am turning 43 this summer I don't know how long it will be until I see the law of diminishing returns in my strength. So I need to focus on my goal now. The shirt will always be there for me. Well, at least for a little while longer. It will probably be a good thing when I have to rely more on technique than strength anyway.

Friday - 4/20/12

Upper and lower warmup
    Bench, broke in my 64 Jack working up to around 800.
    Barbell ext 185x12, 135 3x12
    Blast strap scare crows (no negative) 3x12
    Barbell bench 100 reps
    Iced pecs 20 minutes
    Contrast shower

It was an off night. Time to get things back on track. Might end up going back to raw for a bit.

Last man Standing.

I look forward to meeting you in July Viincent, best of luck in training.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." Proudly sponsored by reactionnutrition.com
    Current PR total 1930 @ 198
    198 Comp prs 730 squat, 650 bench, 625 dead
    220 Comp prs 700 bench,606 dead

Quote Originally Posted by J Stottlemire View Post
    I look forward to meeting you in July Viincent, best of luck in training.
    The feeling is mutual, gonna be a good time.

Sunday 4/22/12

Lame warmup (but effective)
    Twisting kneeling band ab pulldowns 3x15
    Physio ball rev hyper 3x10
    SSB box squat 345/395/445x5
    Trap bar speed dl 340 w/short mini band (30 sec rest between sets)
    SSB squat 205 3x10

Contrast shower
    DMSO shoulders and pecs
    2 Huge Backloading meals

Mono hooks worked great for my squat. They take a little adjusting to. You can't stand straight up like a mono. You have to leverage the weight back a bit before standing. When you are finished you can walk back in or lean back in. Because I am using the safety bar, I don't need to keep my hands on it to get back in. I just put my hands on the rack and lean forward. They worked perfectly for my purposes.

Looking forward to using them tomorrow for speed work on bench.

I have a pair of the mono hooks and love them for squatting.

With using them for benching they still take a little getting used to. I wish the lip on the hook was a tad shorter so that you don't have to do a 1/4 rep to get them out.

I should just take a saw and trim them down a little. They will last forever though. Mine get used daily in the gym and are just as good as the day they came in.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I have a pair of the mono hooks and love them for squatting.

With using them for benching they still take a little getting used to. I wish the lip on the hook was a tad shorter so that you don't have to do a 1/4 rep to get them out.

I should just take a saw and trim them down a little. They will last forever though. Mine get used daily in the gym and are just as good as the day they came in.
    I brought mine to a mechanic friend and had him cut an inch off and grind the rough edges after the cut. They are perfect now. Cut 'em.

Where did you buy the mono hooks at?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Where did you buy the mono hooks at?
    Crepinsek

Monday 4/23/12 - Bench and training reflection

Warmup
    DE Bench 285 9x3 w/3 different grips
    Close grip towel bench 405/425/430x5
    30 degree thumb up lateral raise 20/25/25x12
    Pushups from knees w/extra push at top 2x25

Iced pecs/shoulders 20 minutes
    Contrast shower
    DMSO pecs/shoulders

So I had a long weekend of reflection about training. Had some crap going on that I needed to escape so I dove head first into my studies. I went back and read all my logs. I did some cutting and pasting into a word document. I was like a mad scientist.

I came to a couple of conclusions. First, I am going to train raw until I reach 600 at 275. I figure I'm going to be 43 soon and my strength curve has to diminish at some time. So I need to put myself in the best position to reach my goal. That said, once I reach my goal I will be back in the shirt and strive for a 900. The shirt is more of a combination of strength and technique than raw, so that's my reasoning for that. I will however, still be competing in the Lat Man Standing Bench Contest in Lancaster PA this summer.

The reflection of my log also led me to some conclusions about my training. Most of my best equipped benches and all of my best raw benches came while I was doing some form of Dynamic Effort to some extent. That coupled with the fact I find more value in heavy singles on bench day as opposed to reps, leads me back to conjugate style training.

The above said, there is something I found great benefit from block training, RPE-Rate of Perceived Exertion. When I completed my supplemental exercise from this session I realized I left something in the tank. With conjugate training when completing your high intensity supplemental exercise you are supposed to keep the reps low. For the close grip towel press I had 5's in my head. After the 405 I knew I had more in me so I jumped to 425. I did that and naturally it got a little harder though I had more in me. So I figured I'd just throw on 2.5's something I rarely do. Well, I finished the 5 and racked the bar. Afterwards I got pissed at myself. There is no law that I could not have done another rep or two. Even though I was training by myself I had the safety pins set. Regardless, I was not afraid of missing. I just told myself that I just needed to hit my prescribed reps. Wow, that was a long winded way to say I will be using RPE as part of my conjugate programming.

I'm not done yet, seriously. I spent a lot of time studying this past weekend. For my regular readers you know I have been having a nagging pec/shoulder issue for a loooooooong time. I do rehab, get ART, ice, heat, etc. Well, Sam Byrd posted in his log about an article Mike Robertson wrote about shoulder health. Sam said it was the best article he ever read on the subject and he was right. This is it

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...lls_and_shrugs

In just a few days of doing some of these motions just isometrically I feel infinitely better. As a result I will be rotating these exercises into my bench days. I will also be doing them and other exercises as prehab work at the end of my sessions.

Just about finished, I swear. Another thing I noticed is that my best benching has always come when I was only training lower body once a week. I incorporate two days of lower work just because I want more work. The best solution is to go back to a separate back and bicep day. I'm so spent on bench sessions by the time I get to them, I can't give them their due anyway. Plus, I want to complete this session on Saturdays. Saturday is the one night where Jessica and I eat the same meal and can enjoy something together. If I can tie this into a backload all the better. I need to keep my weight dialed in to come in at the best 275 I can.

As long as my body can hold up, my week will look like this.

Sun-Sq/dl
    Mon-DE bench
    Tues-Conditioning/recovery
    Wed-Conditioning/recovery
    Thurs-Conditioning/recovery
    Friday-ME bench
    Saturday-Back and biceps

I like the idea of training 4 days and then recovering for 3 prior to ME Bench. If I'm too beat up from training 4 days consecutively I'll move back and biceps to Wednesday.

I probably have more to say, but I gave myself carpal tunnel from this post.

Vin,

I often read, but never write, however I really enjoyed this write up and wanted to comment on the complexity and depth of your thinking. Aso, I really enjoyed that shoulder article.

best of luck with your training.
    Last edited by Cards; 04-25-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Vinny,

I really appreciate your log and the thoughts behind what you do and why you do it even more. I always look forward to your posts - the longer the better.

Tim

Thx guys, when I reread my log entries I wondered if people liked my long winded ramblings. Now I know at least two of you do.

Based on your log, I'm doing shoulder prehab before any upper body workout and most lower body work. It has helped my shoulder health tremendously. Now I need to buck up and start getting serious with mobility work too. At 46, I need all the help I can get!

Tuesday 4/22/12

20 minute walk with 40 lb weight vest
    4 minute airdyne tabata
    Foam roll upper and lower
    Softball roll pec/shoulders
    Contrast shower
    DMSO pecs/shoulders

Just did not feel enough of heart rate work from the walk so I threw in the airdyne tabata