Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3106

Thread: Vincent Dizenzo Training Log

SATURDAY'S TRAINING

Dynamic stretch lower

Safety Squat Bar 65/115/155/205/245/260/205X10
    Side/front/side planks 16 seconds each x 2

So I have been very calculated in my squatting. First, because it has been so long. Second, is due to the hamstring injury. One thing I have always noticed about most injuries is that they feel fine right up until they let go. It's rare that I can tell something is about to happen.

So I timed my top set, a measly 260, and ten reps took me 1 minute and 42 seconds. Talk about tempo and time under tension. I took one drop down set and moved a little more quickly, but man, that's ridiculous.

That all said, I am still going to be careful for the next month or so. My bench is going really well and I am getting lower body work in. So I am accomplishing my goals. As I often say, slow and steady wins the race. Pretty original huh?

SUNDAY'S TRAINING

Airdyne 40 second intervals alternating with upper and lower body dynamic stretches for a total of 20 minutes.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Monday

Superset:
    Rolling dbl tri ext 40 5x12 w/underhand pulldowns 100 5x15
    Superset:
    Dbl lateral raises 20 3x15 w/concentration curls 20 3x15

Tuesday

Nada

Wednesday

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Sumo DL 135/185/225/250x10
    Ab wheel 3x10

Monday morning I woke up and all I could think about is how I did not want to train. This is a very odd feeling for me. I always want to train. My hands were swollen and felt tight as concrete. My forearms and biceps were shot as well.

So finally, after many months of no unloading (I stole that from Frey. I figure if I say unloading then I am not deloading. I hate that word-childish, I know). My body told me it's time. So I figured the plan was going to go day by day.

So Monday I skipped DE and the supplemental exercise. Tuesday I did no conditioning and went off my diet and ate pizza. Wednesday I just did my lame deadlifting and no upper body assistance. I am starting to feel whole again. I think the last piece of the puzzle will be getting some extra sleep tonight.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

THURSDAY 1/16/14

20 minute walk with 40 lb weight vest

I started my diet two weeks ago. Last week I took off 4 lbs of initial bloat. This week I am down .5 lbs. I am fine with this considering last Saturday's cheat meal was 4 homemade bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit sandwiches with 2 servings of homefries. Two extra biscuits, a box of Ring Dings (1500 calories alone), and 3 McDoubles. I also fell off the wagon for one meal during the week and had pizza.

All in all it's progress. I'll take a .5 lb loss a week. I know I can do better, but it's just the beginning. It was also a week in which I did less training. I have already planned a much tamer cheat for this Saturday. Let's see if I can stick to it.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING - ME Bench Week 3/12

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roller upper and lower

2 board bench middle grip, worked up to 550/560/570x1
    Inside grip incline bench 405 2x5, 1x6
    Tate Presses 60/60/65/70x12
    Seated fat v-bar row 200/25/250/300x8
    Seated dbl bent over lateral raises 20 2x12, 1x15
    Dbl hammer curls 25/30/3/30/255 x8

I hate 2 board, that's why I'm doing it. That range is no man's land for me. I generate most of my speed from the bottom. Anyway, I once again learned that my best lifting comes when I am relaxed . I got pumped up for the 550 and it went ok. Stayed super relaxed for the 560 and it went much better. The 570 was all I had which was perfect because grinding lockouts is what I need.

I was not looking forward to assistance. It's getting harder than I'd like. I am increasing weights or reps on everything in some way each week. The only thing I had to step back on was hammer curls. I had to drop the weight back as my biceps are taking too much of a beating from the weight raises. I did increase the volume however.

Get stronger or get out of the way, right?

SATURDAY'S TRAINING

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Safety Squat Bar 250 6x4
    Sumo DL 250 6x4

So I did not feel adequately recovered on Friday from Wednesday's deadlifts. This caused me to move them to Saturday after squatting. Wednesday will become just an upper and lower body assistance day.

Now I know working with 250 for squats and deadlifts for someone my size is pathetic. That said, if I don't have direction I end up hurting myself. After careful consideration I am going to run a couple of accumulation blocks for sq/dl before I start moving up.

I have figured out quite a bit regarding this training cycle in just three weeks. I have also made some well needed adjustments. I'm looking forward to see where it all takes me

Vin how do you like the blast straps and do you just hook them up to your rack? Training looking solid, glad to see you hitting deads and squats, I know how much trouble you've had in the past with the injuries, better safe than sorry.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Vin how do you like the blast straps and do you just hook them up to your rack? Training looking solid, glad to see you hitting deads and squats, I know how much trouble you've had in the past with the injuries, better safe than sorry.
    Thx Mark. Seriously, I love my blast straps. I have eye hooks in the ceiling of my basement to use them. That's just because my space and ceiling height is limited. In addition, my rack has no top, ceiling issue again. However, I bring my straps to meets and have no problem hooking them to racks. I can get a consistent warm up anywhere with them. They are also very useful for training purposes. Just a great all around tool for a pretty cheap investment. I know they go on sale every couple of months over on EliteFTS.

MONDAY'S TRAINING 1/20/13

Warm up:
    None

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) w/short mini band 225 4x3, 185 5x3
    Underhand pulldown 50 5x20

No motivation at all. Body felt like crap as well. I know I need to do a better job with recovery. Also, I cannot skip warmups I have to get my sh!t together unless I am aiming for mediocrity. If that's the goal then I am right on par.

TUESDAY'S TRAINING 1/21/13

40 second airydne intervals w/dynamic stretching and foam rolling for 20 minutes

Felt good to get back to conditioning and recovery work after a short break. Well, it felt good for my body, but my mind definitely fought it.

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING 1/22/13

Warmup:
    Blast strap circuit x1
    Foam roll

Bird dogs 2x10
    TKE's 2x10
    Band leg curls 2x10
    Seated dbl ohp 35 2x10
    Bent over row 135 2x10
    Shrugs 135 2x10
    Curls 65 2x10
    Rope pushdowns 50 2x10
    Physio ball rev hyper 2x10
    Standing calf raises 2x10

First off, I timed my blast strap and foam roll warmup and it only takes me just over 6 minutes. There's no excuse not to do it. This is usually enough to get me ready to go.

I don't know why I felt like calling it Bonus Training. It's just upper and lower body assistance. I am usually too beat up from Friday, Saturday, and Monday training to put any real hard work in here. However, I like hitting some weights and moving around. So to spend 45 minutes in the basement feels good.

Lastly, because I trained I feel like I have earned a few more carbs versus just conditioning where I'd feel compelled to keep the them low.

THURSDAY 1/23/13

20 minute walk outside
    Blast Strap Circuit
    Foam Roll

It's always good to get outside and walk even if it's single digit temperatures over here. I just didn't feel like wearing the weight vest so I didn't. I figured I needed a little more work than that so I did my training warm up routine afterwards. I did it with no rest at all between each movement. It got my body warm and loosened up. Mission accomplished.

The diet is moving in the right direction. I am down another .5 lb. I was almost some of the people I hate after the initial reading on the scale. I looked back to last week's weight and thought "really, just .5 a lb?" Then I realized, I am not starving myself, my strength has been great, and it is very likely I am losing nothing but fat at this rate. There's nothing to complain about.

On to my new favorite thing which I just finished and am infinitely sad as a result - protein coffee. I got this from Chase Karnes. If you are not checking out his stuff, you should. He's a bright guy and a really good strength athlete. Anyway, he is another "Carb Vampire" in that he does not eat carbs during the day. So in the am he mixes protein, coconut oil (or some other mct), cream, and protein. I don't do the mct oil, but the cream and chocolate protein powder mixed with the coffee makes it taste just like hot chocolate. I used to hate drinking protein shakes. Now I crave them. Very important however, you must mix them together in a blender bottle. The protein and hot coffee will not mix well otherwise. So wake up, drink up, and get jacked up.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 1/24/13

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roller upper and lower

Bench press w/6 chains, worked up to 370/410/430x5
    Inside grip incline bench 365/405/460x3
    Tate Presses 65/70/75/80x12
    Seated fat v-bar row 150 3x12
    Seated dbl bent over lateral raises 20 3x15
    Tate curls 15 3x10

I have been having some pretty good pain in my repaired biceps. It's been clicking while doing the seated rows. So I backed off on that this week and changed up bicep work. Felt much better as a result.

I wanted to back off singles for a week so I went with 5's. The last set was pretty challenging. So was the last rep on my inclines. Getting work done.

This was a very good session as have been all of my ME for this month. I am presently working on my next block of training. I'll have it up in a day or two.

I am so pumped up for Friday training. I literally feel like every Friday is meet day. That is how my weeks have been lately.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

SATURDAY'S TRAINING 1/25/14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Safety Squat Bar 250 5x5
    Sumo DL 250 5x5

Week 2 of accumulation, so far so good. I am noticing I get a little loose in the bottom of the squat. I think I'm looking for rebound out of the hole. This is not a good idea at all. Gotta stay tight. While the weight is so super light, this is the time to perfect my form.

SUNDAY'S TRAINING 1/26/14

Airdyne 20 minutes LISS

Contrast shower

Yep this post was about as sexy as Rhodes in a speedo.

MONDAY'S TRAINING 1/27/14

Warm up:
    Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 225 3x3, 245 2x3, 255/265/275x3
    Seated overhead rack press 135/185/225x3, 275x6
    Rope pushdowns 50 4x12
    1 arm dbl rows 40/50/60/70x12
    Dbl front raises 15 3x10
    Tate curls 15 3x10

Speed is going to be instinctive. I was watching one of my favorite coaches/lifters, Matt Wenning from the 2013 NSCA Coaches Conference (which everyone should watch by the way) and he discussed DE work being as low as 30%. So I don't feel bad if I have to back it down. The goal is to be fast. So when the weight moved fast and felt light I bumped it up. 275 started slowing down so I knew to stop there. My press with that bar is around 550 so I finished right around 50%.

I wanted to get back to some overhead work, but must still emphasize the tri's for lockout power. The seated rack ohp is great for this. I can tell it has been a while because 275 felt a little weird. I am going to have to get used to these again. I have a month in this block so I'll get to work at them.

Did the rest of the assistance and have my starting point. I will pump these numbers up as much as I can each week to ensure progress.

Tuesday's Training 1/28/14

Wednesday's Training 1/29/14

Foam Roll
    Blast Strap circuit

Trap bar dl (upper handles) 225 2x10
    TKE's 2x10
    Band leg curls 2x10
    Standing band gm's 2x10
    Land mines 25 2x10
    Tate curls 17.5 2x10

Thursday's Training 1/30/14

Wednesday's assistance day went well. I need to work on all of those little weaknesses for lower body so I can improve my squat and dl. So every little bit helps. I say little bit because I need to keep it low key as to not hinder my bench progress. There was one think however, using the lower handles on the trap bar really irritated my repaired bicep. Just too much of a stretch from that position. So I just flipped the bar and the problem was solved. Although, the bicep is still irritated 2 days later.

There was no part of me that wanted to put that damned weight vest on Thursday, but I did it. So I did my conditioning work as uninspired as it was. It is serving its purpose, but I think I am really going to turn this up in the spring. The reason for this is two fold and goes with my next topic.

Nutrition, it remains on point. Crazy enough I dropped another .5 lb this week. That's 4 weeks in a row. I mean come on, I'd expect maybe even a 1 lb swing or maybe nothing at all, but slow and steady it's been .5. Anyway, after my meet I want to get into the 250's. If my diet remains the same, that will take about a year. Maybe hammering some conditioning for a few months can speed put that process. To quote a great mind, Harry Selkow, "I need to condition like I bench press."

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I am so pumped up for Friday training. I literally feel like every Friday is meet day. That is how my weeks have been lately.
    I feel the same way Drew. It's been great training together. SFW!

Friday 1.31.14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Bench pinky on rings w/Metal Catapult 500/550x3, 600/650/650/685x1
    Shirt bench to 2 board 680/730/770x3
    Barbell floor ext 95x10, 105 3x10
    Inverted rows 4x10
    Blast strap scarecrows 3x10
    Spud strap cable curls 50/60/60 x10

This was an awesome session. The first 650 was a little shaky. So I took it again and it went much better. I just have to push up the meet the bar and that keeps my form supper tight and strong. With the first 650 I thought there was no way I would pr over my previous best of 680. The second 650 gave me some confidence so I went after 685. It went and felt great. Damn, getting a little lighter and a little stronger. I'll take it. I have vid that I will get up in the next day or so.

Friday's vid

MONDAY'S TRAINING 3/3/14

Warm up:
    Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 225 3x3, 255 3x3, 285 3x3
    Seated overhead rack press 135/185/225x3, 280x6
    Superset:
    Rope pushdowns 50 3x10
    1 arm dbl rows 50 3x10
    Dbl front raises 20 3x10
    Tate curls 20 3x10

I was in a time squeeze to get my assistance in so I had to use a superset. Felt a burn. I must be ready for a Planet Fitness commercial.

Monday's Training

Warm up:
    Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 225 3x3, 255 3x3, 285 3x3
    Seated overhead rack press 135/185/225x3, 280x6
    Superset:
    Rope pushdowns 50 3x10
    1 arm dbl rows 50 3x10
    Dbl front raises 20 3x10
    Tate curls 20 3x10

I was in a time squeeze to get my assistance in so I had to use a superset. Felt a burn. I must be ready for a Planet Fitness commercial.

Tuesday's Training

Wednesday's Training

Foam Roll
    Blast Strap circuit

Side step heel touches (I don't know the name for them) 2x10
    Standing chain leg curls 2x10
    Standing band gm's 2x10
    Land mines 25 2x10
    Tate curls 25 2x10

Contrast shower
    Got to bed and hour early

Thursday's Training

Back/hamstring stretch
    Biceps stretch

20 minute walk, no weight vest
    Foam roll

Contrast Shower
    Got to bed on time

Friday Morning

Back/hamstring stretch
    Biceps stretch

My back feels good as do my biceps. I feel well rested. My bag is packed for the gym for later, along with my pre, during, and post workout nutrition. I am set up for success. Now I have to do the work. We will see what tonight brings.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-07-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Friday 2.7.14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Bench 50 2x10, 100x5, 140/230/320x3, 410x2, added wraps and belt 500x1, added Jack shirt warm up to 2 board 660x1, full range 820/900x1
    2 board press close grip 430/480/520x3

That was it. I am super psyched about the bench. Funny, I immediately came off the bench disappointed because I thought I didn't touch and he just gave me a call up. That was not the case, I touched. It felt almost anticlimactic at that point. When Brian told me I touched I got a little excited. Then I watched it on the camera and got even more excited.

It's funny because sometimes I build a lift up so much in my head that I think I feel like something special should happen after I hit it. Maybe I should sprout wings or shoot a rainbow out my butt like the new Volkswagon commercial. I certainly think I'd know I did something special for that to happen.

Our man Brian has been struggling with his equipped benching for quite a while now. He's a strong guy, well for a slightly oversized crossfitter, so we know it's been a technique thing. I recorded his lifts and just kept having him go. I think we finally figured it out. This took about 45 minutes. We were pretty cooled off by that time. I put some good pushed on board presses, but had nothing left for assistance so I called it a night. I think I got some pretty good work in. I'm 7 weeks out so there's plenty of time to get it all in.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Saturday 2.8.14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Speed Squat w/Safety Squat Bar 255 w/dbl micro mini band 8x2
    Speed pulls Sumo DL 225 w/short mini band 8x1

Weights were light, but if felt good to do some explosive work. The most important thing is I wanted to watch Jessica's form. As I suspected, her speed work was not fast enough. So I lowered the weight and she moved much better. Keep the speed work fast people.

Sorry for the lack of updates. It was my Dad's 75th birthday last week and then Jess and I went away to Canada for a bit. Life has been good. I will update my training and travels soon. Thanks.

MONDAY'S TRAINING 2/10/14

Warm up:
    Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 195 2x3, 235 2x3, 245 2x3, 265 2x3, 285 2x3
    Extensions w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 135/185/205x6
    Pendlay rows w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 135 3x10
    Drag curls w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 45/55/65/55x10

My Dad's bday is coming up so Jess would not have been able to train on Tues so we trained together. She hated having to change plates for speed bench with me. I was not fond of it either. Regardless, we got a good session in. Much like squats, I had to check her speed. She needs to be more instinctive and make sure she's fast instead of just worrying about the weight.

Did not do my usual routine because we were sharing a tight space. I love sharing a tight space with the wife. Anyway, as a result I stuck with using the Swiss Press Reverse Grip bar for all my work. Damn, I love that thing.

Tuesday's Training 2/11/14

20 minute walk

Wednesday's Training 2/12/14

Foam Roll
    Blast Strap circuit

Side step ups2x10
    Standing chain leg curls 2x10
    Standing band gm's 2x10
    Land mines 25 2x10

Uninspired basic crap I have to do. That's what the past two days were. I feel pretty beat up from the 900 last Friday. I don't want to push myself to the point where I am not recovered for my bench training.

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 2/14/14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Bench 2 Board pinkies on ring grip worked up to 500/550/565/575x1
    Bench 2 Board thumbs from the smooth grip 400/450/500x3
    Superset:
    Standing pulldowns to sternum 3x10
    Dbl curls 3x10
    Incline Tate presses 3x10
    Blast strap scarecrows 3x10

I was very pleased I pr'd this ME lift. The 550 felt heavy and I knew 570 was my best last month. I just didn't think I had it in me. Made sure to setup tighter for the 565 and that went much more smoothly. The 575 was the best lift of them all. Powerful from top to bottom.

Worked closer grip for supplemental. That went fine, but I was beat. I contemplated skipping assistance. I know at this point it's not going to make me any stronger. However, it would have just been lazy. So I did some fast moving light assistance for a little work.

Since Friday there has been no training at all. Jess and I headed to Canada for a little vacation. My deload was supposed to start a week from this, but I couldn't wait anymore. I bumped it up.

Just figured I'd work on extra recovery when I fit it in. Sunday helped as we went to a Nordic Spa, but I will get into that vacation stuff when I have time to post pics, it was really cool. So up until this point I have been riding the airdyne, foam rolling, hitting a few blast strap sessions, and taking the occasional contrast shower.

Interesting, I usually feel itchy to train after some time off, but that itch is not here. It almost makes me wonder if I have come to the end of my run or if I have just beaten myself up that much. I am still setup for success with my meet about 5 weeks away. Just have to peak properly now.

Friday's Training 2/21/14

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Bench, worked up to 500x5
    2 board press close grip 410x13
    Superset:
    Fat v bar pulldowns 3x10
    Chain curls 3x10
    Maybe some other stuff, I can' remember

This was a deload, yes I said deload. I got a little crap from people about calling 500 for reps a deload. Well, it's in the 80% range so it was no challenge to my cns. I also made sure not to struggle through any reps. I could have gone for a few more, but then it wouldn't be a deload.

I also had another agenda. I don't know if I'll ever be playing around with that weight again. I have my equipped meet coming up and then the plan is to drop weight. So maybe it was a little bit of a swan song. It sure felt good to man handle that weight though.

I did a set of boards to just about failure and then some light assistance to finish up. I can't really even remember what I did. I do know it's time to get fired up for the last push. Feeling strong and confident. Let's get it on.

500 was quick and easy. When you're strong, you're strong and 500 is deload poundages. Nice lifting!

You cut out my video bomb. I'll have to work it in better next time.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    You cut out my video bomb. I'll have to work it in better next time.
    Didn't want to scare the viewers.

SATURDAY'S TRAINING

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Safety Squat Bar 270 5x5
    Sumo DL 270 5x5

Ughhh, I usually like to get this session in first thing in the morning. However, I had things to do. So I was not able to get around to this until late afternoon. I swear it was Sunday by the time I was done. I can tell I hadn't squatted or deadlifted for a two weeks. I think my body is so happy when I skip it, that it revolts when I go back.

This raw full meet idea I have in the back of my head is really highly unlikely. I have to start coming to grips with this.

SUNDAY'S TRAINING 2/24/14

60 second airydne intervals w/foam rolling for 20 minutes

Squatting and deadlifting did me in. yep, the whole whopping 270 lbs. So this was needed. I highly recommend the tempo recovery circuit when you don't want to foam roll or do conditioning. At least you can finish them both off at once.