The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125
Results 3,101 to 3,106 of 3106
    Monday

No warm up

DE Bench w/rev grip bar (reg grip) 225 3x3, 275 3x3, 315 3x3
    Rack lockout w/rev grip bar (reg grip) set to low pin 315/335/365x6
    Band assisted pullups 2x20

I got a late start for this session and did not even want to train. I couldn't even bring myself to warm up. I just got on and went. Of course I started with some light weights and felt good enough.

With the music cranking I was determined to turn this workout around. I wanted to finish with 315 for DE work. I told myself if I could dig deep and move that weight fast I'd just do a supplemental exercise after. Sure enough, that motivated me. The weight flew.

Did rack lockouts with the rev grip bar also. I set the pin low and these were a b!tch. It was a tough position to start especially using that bar. It was a really hard push on the triceps. When done I really felt quite swole, not fond of that word, but it fit.

At that point I was more than adequately worked, but decided to do a little back pump with band assisted pullups. Then I felt even more swole. Surprised I could actually get through the doorway in the basement.

Seriously though, the plan is almost out the window right now. With the exception of DE and ME bench I am just going to work until I feel done. That's easy for me because I know I never try to get out of work.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

TUESDAY'S TRAINING 2/25

Airdyne 20 LISS

WEDNESDAY'S TRAINING 2/26

Warmup:
    Blast strap circuit x1
    Foam roll

Physio ball rev hyper 2x10
    Side step ups 2x10
    Standing chain leg curls 2x10
    Band pullaparts 2x10
    Grip stick 2x20

Just some light assistance work. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of just moving around. I have been experiencing some low back pain. All my body tells me is that it wants to rest or maybe it's my head. However, somewhere deep inside there's a voice that tells me go get moving. If I just get moving I'll feel better. Sure enough, I did. Now that little voice has lots of other interesting things it recommends, but I'm not sure I should listen to everything. That voice comes with horns and a pitchfork, but that's another story for another time.

THURSDAY'S TRAINING 2/27

Airdyne 20 LISS

FRIDAY'S TRAINING 2/28

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

Bench w/Metal Catapult w/pinkies on the rings, worked up to 630/665/690x1
    Drop sets 410/460/500x5
    Superset:
    Face pulls 3x10
    Pushdowns 3x10
    Dumbbell curls 3x10

So Mayor Rhodes and I spoke the other day about him coming down to train. I just never thought we'd actually be blessed with his presence. However, to my great surprise, I received a text Friday am saying he'd be on his way.

It was really great training with Matt again. Considering he is getting a hip replacement in a little over a month, the guy is benching pretty damn well. I look forward to sharing the platform with him. I only wish he could embrace operation "Chubby Bunny." That's what he calls gaining weight for a meet. Yeah, who knew Matt could say something cute.

I however embraced "Chubbier Bunny" after the gym. We hit up McDonald's for old times sake. I don't know what it is, but I love McDonald's. I have to say, I'm 50/50 on whether I'd prefer a big steak and lobster to a huge McDonald's festival. Yes, I know there is something wrong with me.

On to less important things, training is going well. I beat my previous best with the catapult which should mean I'm getting stronger. At least that's how I'll take it. Time to dial things up as we have the shirt next week. Not sure what I'll do, but I'm looking forward to it.

SATURDAY'S TRAINING 3/1

Blast strap circuit
    Foam roll

SSB squat 315 3x3
    Trap bar dl 315 3x3

SUNDAY'S TRAINING 3/2

Airdyne tempo recovery circuit 20 minutes

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Hey guys and girls. I went away on a little vacation. I spent some time in Aruba with my parents. It's been an excellent deload. I trained last Friday right before I left. Other than that I had a few walks on the beach and did pool aerobics once. Yep, pool aerobics. The instructor was quite an attractive South American Lady. Maybe that helps make more sense out of it.

I will get back to a little light training tonight and then cruise into next weekend's meet with some very light work and general moving around.

Here's last Friday's work:

3/14/14 Friday
    Bench, worked up to 495x1 RAWWWWW! Then 545x1, and 575x1
    Pushdowns x50

When I say RAW. I mean RAW! I didn't even use chalk. That's the first time I have never used reps on five plates. Why did I do it, just because I felt like it. The 545 and 575 went very well. I had more in me, but being 2 weeks out I just wanted to put the body under a little stress in preparation for the meet. No need to take anything that would have taxed me mentally.

Friday 3/21/14

Close grip bench w/legs up 100/140/190/230/280/320x3 370/410/460/500x1
    Underhand grip pushdowns 3x15
    Side laterals 3x15
    Face pulls 1x20

I feel fantastic. I can't wait to compete this weekend. I kept my legs up because I am still suffering a bit of pain in my tfl. I'll just keep stretching that out and rolling it out this week.

Getting closer to the meet everyday. I have been alternating 20-30 minute walks outside one day and foam rolling w/a blast strap circuit the others. I have also been doing some light stretching here and there during work and at home. A few minutes does make a good difference. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Just need it to be Sunday already.

Bombs Away! #@$%

Insert any four letter word into that title. Long story short I gave it my best shot yesterday and it was not good enough. I did not feel terribly sick, but still sick enough to notice. I warmed up fine. I had told myself if 500 raw during warm ups felt heavy I would not even bother putting the shirt on. Unfortunately as it turned out, 500 didn't feel too bad.

I continued to warm up and then hit the platform. As soon as Karsten handed me the 820 I knew it felt heavier than it should. It took it down and did everything right. It shot off my chest when I got the call, but it stalled immediately after the initial push a couple inches from lockout. I knew right there it was over. If I had done something wrong there might have been a reason to take another. I was just weak, end of story.

I tucked my tail and passed my 2nd and 3rd attempts. I felt there was nothing to gain and I could only end up hurting myself and making myself sicker. Well, I clearly lowered my resistance as this cold has now migrated to my chest. This is especially unpleasant considering I have asthma. I have it controlled with my bodyweight and conditioning where I don't even have to take medication anymore, but it sure makes a chest cold especially awful.

As always it was great to see so many great people at the meet, old friends and new. I think Gene and Ame had over 150 competitors over their 2 day RPS meet in the small state of RI. And people say this sport is dying, I don't think so.

My training partner Josh had the same kind of day that I did, but at least Drew got a lift in. He hit 525 equipped. So now he can brag that he has beat me in 2 meets. The little f'er. Mayor Rhodes hit his opener of 450. He missed 500, but it was close, to his chest at least. Not bad for a guy who is going in for hip resurfacing tomorrow. He knows what he needs to do to hit that 500. When he commits to coming in around 300 lbs 500 will be a joke for him.

Thanks to Anthony, Jessica, and Karsten for coming out to help. It's really great to have that kind of support.

I'm licking my wounds and formulating my next course of action. Sitting home sick gives me time to think, maybe too much time. Such is life.