The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: My regime

Wannabebig Member

My regime

I'm currently 15 years old 6'3" 135lbs and looking to get bigger. I currently lift about once a week for my chest (read about it in an old mens health issue) and do my bicep/ tricep/ab workout about every 3 days because i read alot about getting enough rest and it seems to work. I bench 115 but i can hit about 130, from previous times with my chest i was able to raise my weightlifting capacity by 20 lbs in a month. Im now looking to get bigger arms, they are tall but they dont curve in if you know what i mean. If anybody has any tips or suggestions please let me know. thanks alot

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What's your diet like?
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

What sort of weights are you using? home gym or a public one??

why do you only worst chest, arms, and abs? You'll get more benefit out of eating a mens health magazine, than you would out of reading it mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Scorpion32
    Arms mean very little to you right now. Squat, Deadlift and Bench press as well as pull ups and dips. You need to build your base strength befor you start to wory about big arms. Those will come along with your increased strength. O yeah eat about 7 to 8 times a day. Consume as much protine as you can. You need about 140 to 150 grams of protine a day. If you need help with that get a protine powder that isn't loaded with a bunch of sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion32 View Post
    Arms mean very little to you right now. Squat, Deadlift and Bench press as well as pull ups and dips. You need to build your base strength befor you start to wory about big arms. Those will come along with your increased strength. O yeah eat about 7 to 8 times a day. Consume as much protine as you can. You need about 140 to 150 grams of protine a day. If you need help with that get a protine powder that isn't loaded with a bunch of sugar.
    thats not how you spell protein, and how do you know arms arent very important to him?
    I agree with McVein

He needs more than 150 g protein a day. More like 1.25 to 1.5 g / lb of bodyweight worth, at a minimum.

To the OP: read the threads in the nutrition forum, in particular the ones mentioned in this sticky. Gaining size is largely a function of diet in combination with a well-balanced, well-rounded routine and rest.
    Last edited by Focused70; 02-02-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

The way I'm reading this, you are not training most of your body.

That's not a good thing.

Do you play any sports?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member

responses

My diet is not really picked out and consistent if you know what i mean. The only things I do do consistently are Drinking water, no pop, daily vitamin, omega 3, and stay away from fast food for the most part. Yes i do play sports,I play basketball, but right here in michigan right know its way too cold to play, so i dont really play. Thanks for all the help keep poring it on.

Wannabebig Member

more responses

I use my home gym. Combination between Bowflex and a squat/bench machine. I used to do plyometrics for my basketball but i go lazy and it vvvvvvvvvery cold right know so its hard to do them. I also do not have a dip machine.

Wannabebig Member
    So you guys are saying that i should get strong first before building mass? I can curl 45 one time with my right and 40 with my left ( i think but it is around that range) I take this protein I bought from GNC called "MASS XXX" and its got 50 grams of protein and some special formulated carb stuff, does anyone know if this powder really works? What would you recommend for me depending on strength and mass? Sorry for not posting last night i was reallly tired

do you mean you use a smith machine?
    I agree with McVein

Post your entire routine.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Diet?

Quote Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
    I'm currently 15 years old 6'3" 135lbs and looking to get bigger. ... If anybody has any tips or suggestions please let me know. thanks alot
    As mentioned before, you need to completely overhaul your eating and diet habits. (Post your diet when you respond next.)

6'3" - 135 pounds is VERY thin. RAIL THIN. Just for a quick example, I am 6'3" and 235 pounds. (That's a lot of peanuts...) You need to start eating more. Strength training programs will not assist you in "getting bigger" if you do not support it with an adequate level of caloric intake.

You even picked the name "fryguy" as your Wannabebbig member name... It sounds like you know what has to be done by choosing a name like that.

I would worry less on isolation exercises on my arms and abs and focus on compound exercise movements. Those are positive results in your bench press numbers. Would you like to increase that number even more? Just imagine if you ate more!

You are very lucky to be 6'3" tall. You take pride in your height. Also, take advantage of your height and add some mass to your frame. All you have to do is eat more and support the strength training plan you are currently on. (Note: Even a bad strength training program can benefit from added calories and protein intake.) Get the eating part down first and then we'll work on that routine of yours.

We are giving you permission to eat more. How many other people can say that? At 6'3" with added mass - you'll be a monster! Can't wait to see your results!

Best,
    Andrew

Are you really 6'3, 135 because I'm 6'2, 156 and I'm already the skinniest person I know... I don't see any way I could lose 21 pounds without dying.

Wannabebig Member

responses

Well my workout WAS workout every OTHER day and then each workout would very in what i would concentrate on. I would do CHEST on day BICEPS/TRICEPS another and finally ABS. For the cheast workout i would do:

50lbs X 15 reps
    65lbs X 15 reps
    80lbs X 15 reps

90lbs X 6-8 reps
    95lbs X 2-3 reps

45lbs X 30 reps
    45lbs X 20 reps

This is usually what i do for my chest. note that this is bench press. Then i usually butterfly 10lbs X 20 reps.

For my arm exercises I usually curl with an olympic curl bar.

25lbs X 30 reps * I DO THIS TWICE*
    35lbs X 6 reps * I DO THIS TWICE*
    Thats usually it for the biceps, for the triceps i do some bowflex exercises till the burn is exhausting.
    For my abs I warm up with 150 Jumping jacks then do this curl sit-up with my legs coming in from an extension i do this about 15 reps I DO THIS TWICE. Then i usually finish of with 40 or 50 sit ups. I recently added this lower back exercise and its wonderful, im beggining to start to see a big change with this exercise.
    Last edited by fryguy; 02-04-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: accidentaly hit SUBMIT

Wannabebig Member

answers

Yes i really am 6'3" 135lbs. I'm starting to try to get more protein a day, im striving for 150 grams of protein a day. To do this I'm using a protein bar recipe I found on this forum it was reffered to me by SOBAADDICT so props i give you. I'll let you guys know how its working out and what i used and all. thanks for everyone's help keep pouring it on!

You need to train your entire body.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    You need to train your entire body.
    What would be a good routine you could recommend me? Should i use heacy weights that I can only hit 6-8 times or should i use lighter weights i can hit 30 times? should i go slow on the let down and fast on the actual movement? stuff like that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Squat
    SLDL
    Row
    Chin
    Bench press
    OH Press

Do those 6 lifts. Reps and sets are up to you, I would stick with 2-6 sets, 4-8 reps, give or take.

If you want to add something in, that's fine. After you are done those 6 lifts.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Scorpion32
    Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    thats not how you spell protein, and how do you know arms arent very important to him?
    Sorry about the spelling errors....they will happen again I suck at spelling...but too often young lifters want to do bench and curls and worry about their arms and neglect their core lifts. Not many lifters would think of the curl as a core life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion32 View Post
    Sorry about the spelling errors....they will happen again I suck at spelling...but too often young lifters want to do bench and curls and worry about their arms and neglect their core lifts. Not many lifters would think of the curl as a core life.
    Who cares about spelling, your advice was dead on the money
    To the OP start with either WBB1 or BGB, both routines are excellent.
    However, there are two essential rules to weight lifting.
    1) Without a proper diet don't even bother, because the best routine in the world will fail you.
    2) Make sure that at least 8 out of 10 of your excercises are compound excercises. The "Fancy Dan" Isolation excercises (we all do them!!!) are secondary, especially for a beginner.
    For most guys when they start working out, the first two excercises they try are bicep curls and bench press (1 out of 2 aint bad) Alas this will be true till the end of time.
    BGB is here:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255
    ExRx is a great site with videos of all the excercises, so you will know the proper and safe way to do them:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Hope this helps.

PS: Before I started lifting I lost weight doing cardio and got down to 136 lbs, but I'm only 5 feet nine. Were you brought up in a Burmese prison camp lol.
    Last edited by JConrad; 02-05-2007 at 05:38 PM.