The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Front Squats

Are front squats less effective as a mass builder compared to back squats because of the amount of weight that can be handled? Or do the mechanics of front squats target the quads more allowing less weight to be used in comparison to back squats?

If both are done with correct form is there any difference in how they work the muscle?

Does anyone do both? If so how do you compare the two in terms of effectiveness?
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

front squats put more stress on the inner lower quad, regular squats put more stress on the middle...
    I'm back, bet most of you don't even know my name!

Are front squats less effective as a mass builder compared to back squats because of the amount of weight that can be handled?

** Depends. Do you mean overall mass or leg mass? Front squats force you to stay upright, limiting the assistance of your lower back... they also slightly change the properties of the load on your legs. I'd say if you have a big front squat, you'll probably have big legs...

Or do the mechanics of front squats target the quads more allowing less weight to be used in comparison to back squats?

** Yes.

If both are done with correct form is there any difference in how they work the muscle?

** Slight. Not worth worrying about.

Does anyone do both? If so how do you compare the two in terms of effectiveness?

** Yes. Squats make me big and strong. Front squats improve my leg strength and squat strength.

Banned
    IBLiftin said,
    front squats put more stress on the inner lower quad, regular squats put more stress on the middle...

What is the inner lower quad?
    Regular squats work the quad.They do not specifically target a certain portion of the quad.

the tear drop.....

the tear drop part of the quad is called the Vastus Medialis
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Wannabebig Member
    According to Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, "Front squats develop the outside sweep of the quadriceps.".

Arnold was no physiologist, first off. Paul was correct in what he said. Mac was correct in his implication. Front squats take the lower back out of the equation for all intents and purposes. The standard squat is a better exercise for 2 reasons. You can support a lot more weight on your back than you can hold in the front, so you can train heavier with the back squat. The fact that the standard squat involves the lower back to a greater degree also allows you to train heavier and use the lower back to push the legs a little harder. I challenge any of you who think that you can isolate a certain portion of your quads to do so. Try to flex only your teardrop. Can't do it, can you? The quads are involved as a whole when you extend the knee. You won't change the basic shape of your quads with training, only make them bigger. When you extend your knee, you are using the vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, vastus intermedius, and the rectus femoris. They all work simultaneously and cannot be trained separately.

Oh jessss. no crap you can't flex only half your quad, but some exersizes work different area's more then others....

The 4 muscles I named above make up the quads. They all share a common tendon. So, if you use one, you use them all. Some exercises stressing a certain portion of the quadricep group is an old myth. There are other muscles that make up the upper legs, so there are certain stances and exercises which will involve other muscles to a greater or lesser degree, but when talking about the quads, doesn't happen. You may feel greater soreness in portions of the quads with different exercises, which is where this myth stems from, but you must realize that muscles have no pain receptors in them. So, when you feel "muscular soreness" it is not the muscles that are sore at all. To my knowledge, it has not yet been proven what exactly causes this soreness, only that it is definitely not the muscles.

I wouldn't hold Arnold's encyclopedia as a credible source...... it has many errors. Not to disrespect Arnold or anything, he was a really hard worker.