The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

freac's journal, and stuff.

What I'm doing right now is basically a modified WBB#1. I first started lifting last spring and progressed through summer, but at that time I really didn't have any clue what the heck I was doing so I didn't gain much. I started out doing legs, upper body, and plyometrics, until I hurt my knee so I only did upperbody. Bleh. Then I quit for the duration of Soccer season, and started up again. Since then I started doing more freeweights and stuff but still only upperbody. Then sometime during January I took the WBB#1 template and messed around with it for a bit. So I am finally doing legs, and I like it, but they're obviously weaker proportionately compared to my upperbody. Anyways.

Weight: 150
    Height: 6'0-6'2 (I don't know)

Monday:
    Bench 3x6
    DB Press 2x6
    Dips 3x6
    Deadlift 3x6
    BO DB Rows 3x6
    Chinups 3x6

Wed:
    CG Bench 3x6
    Preacher BB Curls 3x6
    Standing Tricep Pushdown 3x6
    Hammer Curls 2x6
    Lateral Raises 3x8
    Shrugs 4x10

Fri:
    Squats 3x6
    Hack Squats 3x6
    SL Deadlift 3x6
    Leg Curls 3x6
    Calf extensions 4x10

I've written down everything I've done for the past 3 weeks or so I've been doing this program.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

oops
    Last edited by freac; 05-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.

"Before" pics

I actually took them just yesterday, but whatever. Yep... I need to gain some weight, just look at that stomach in Pic #1. I've been cursed with that ceral-bowl for a while now <_<
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like you've got a good base to build on, eat the house down and lift heavy, youll be huge this time next year
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Monday, Feb. 5

I drank about 4-quarts of water throughout the day and got plenty to eat.

Bench: 4, 3, 2 (135)
    Deads: 6, 6, 6 (135)
    Dips: 4, 5, 4 (25)
    BO DB Rows: 6, 6, 6 (50's)
    DB Incline Press: 6, 6, 6 (30's)
    Chin ups: 8, 7, 6

Dissapointed with the bench. Last week I did 6, 6, 4 at 125, I thought I'd do better, but that's how it goes. Deads were easy, but I don't want to move up in weight too fast since I've only been doing them for about 2 weeks. First time doing weighted dips, went pretty well although I'm not too happy with the belt I just bought, it's one-size-fits-all and fits me very loosely, I was afraid it might fall off. Still struggling with the incline press, I've been doing them for maybe 4 weeks and I haven't moved up in weight once, although I could stand to next week. Chin ups, what can I say, I'm new to these too.

All in all I'm satisfied, just a little dissapointed with my Bench and DB Press. Also, I decided to move Shrugs to Wednesday.

Wednesday Feb. 7

Blah.

CG Bench: 6, 6, 6 (120)
    BB Preacher Curl: 6, 6, 6 (70)
    Standing Pushdown: 6, 6, 6 (80)
    Hammer Curl: 6, 5 (35's)
    Shrugs: 20, 15, 15 (35's)

What to say... Well I didn't put it down cuz it was such a failure but I tried abs today.
    I put a 30 pound straight bar behind my head, jumped on the incline ab bench, did a rep, and hurt myself! ^_^ Not seriously or anything just enough so that my right oblique is sore. Mental note: stob being a ****** and work up slower

Shrugs...gah, I don't like them. But I can deal. That's why the weight is so low just now, if I go much higher my form suffers.

Good stuff so far man. It looks like we're in about the same situation as far as our starting stats and goals, although by your pictures and first 2 workouts you seem to be a little ahead of me, but we're both around 6'1-6'2, 150s and looking to gain some serious strength. It's good to have someone else on here thats around my level, and even cooler that we're both using basically the same routine (WBB#1) because reading all these journals of people benching 270 and deadlifting 400 can be discouraging at times. Good luck with your training and hopefully we'll both be up there with those other big guys soon!

Friday, Feb. 9

Nice of the two of you to post in my journal, feedback is always nice!

Leg day, whoopee.

Squats 6-all (135)
    Hack Squats 6-all (135)
    SL Deads 6-all (135)
    Leg Curls 6-all (35)
    Calf Extensions 12-all (115)

Pretty simple. i'm still building up slow so I don't do something stupid and end up in a hospital bed. Everything was pretty easy except for Squats, I hate having to hold the bar so low on my back, it feels so unnatural and makes my shoulders hurt. But enough whining, I'll live

Umm...nothing to say.

Monday Feb. 12

Bench 4, 4, 2 (135)
    Chinups 8, 8, 6 (BW)
    Incline DB Press 6, 6 (35's)
    BO DB Rows 6, 6, 4 (55's)
    Deadlifts 6, 6, 6 (175)

Friggin' Bench. Didn't do dips because I forgot my dip belt, like the idiot I am. -_-

Nice chinups man! I don't know if it's just me that sucks or if you're especially good at those, but you're only 10 ahead on bench and 20 ahead on deadlifts yet you can do 3 sets of 8 chinups where as I can only do like 2 sets of 2, maybe 3. Great job with those chins hopefully I can catch up soon.

You are doing chinups (as opposed to pullups), right? I imagine I couldn't do near as many pullups.

So today I feel like garbage. I've had a nonstop stomach ache for the past 24+ hours, and I don't have the slightest clue why. I'm postponing my workout until tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    You are doing chinups (as opposed to pullups), right? I imagine I couldn't do near as many pullups.

So today I feel like garbage. I've had a nonstop stomach ache for the past 24+ hours, and I don't have the slightest clue why. I'm postponing my workout until tomorrow.
    Chinups are the ones with your palms facing away from you right? Assuming those are chinups, yes I'm doing those. As far as your sickness, hang in there man. Good idea resting today, 1 day off won't make one bit of difference in the long run, so get better and have a good workout tomorrow rather than a half-assed one today.

Chinups are the ones with your palms facing away from you right?
    Nah man, underhand grip (towards you).

So it's Wednesday, and I'm pissed >_>
    I've missed FOUR WORKOUTS. I've been really really really sick. I do plan on starting again Friday, but damn, four workputs. It's terrible that I've lost those and I can't do anything about it. Damn.

Lookin good in here man. Your numbers will keep on going up if you stay consistent.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wednesday Feb. 28

CG Bench 6,6,4 (115)
    P Curls 6,6,4 (65)
    Standing Tri Pushdowns 6-all (75)
    H Curls 4,4,3 (35's)
    Shrugs 12-all (45's)
    Incline Ab Crunch 8-all (15)

I've obviously gotten weaker as far as wednesdays are concerned. Most noticable are the H Curls. Blaaaaaaah

I don't know if I posted this yet but I actually lost 5 pounds when I was sick. Yikes.

Hi...nice lifting and remember to keep eating...check out my journal if you want to look at another skinny guy.

Friday, March 2

Leg Curls: 6-all (70)
    Squats: 6,6,4 (135)
    Hacks: 6-all (185)
    SL Deads: 3,3,4 (185)
    Calves: 12-all (135)

All I can say is my upper body is letting me down. When I'm squatting it seems I can choose between moderately painful (yet ultimately more detrimental to my health, I think) neck pain or excrutiating pain in my shoulder joints. It's not at all that the weight is too heavy, I had to rack up before I could finish for fear that I would strain something in my arm/shoulder region. As for SL Deads, I let up early every time cuz my grip was breaking...I had problems with my fore-arms a while back, and although they don't bother me any more a side-effect is that I have horrendously weak grip.

I don't know how to fix this...off to make a thread elsewhere and see if I can get some advice I guess!

where are you placing the bar? it shouldnt be on your neck, it should be on your traps.

I realize that. I can't for the life of me keep it on my traps though, it slides down when I make the squatting motion until it's halfway down my back. I think it might be weak shoulders, cuz my shoulders are screwed as hell, but who knows.

Either way I got some advice on it and I'll try next Friday.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=93294

Nice topic about bar placement. Actually, I bet everyone knew that stuff except me, but then again I'm fine with that, this can be like a memo-to-self

>_>

Monday, March 5

Bench: 5,4,3 (125)
    Chinups: 4,3,3 (20)
    Incline Press: 6-all (30's)
    Deads: 6-all (185)
    Dips: 5,4,3 (20)
    BO DB Rows: 6-all (50's)

Bench is slowly getting better, although I lol at the fact that I was stronger about 6 weeks ago. First day of weighted chinups, not bad I think. Incline, reluctantly moved down to 30's and completed it easily...why can't I just do 35's again? >_> Deads, while I can still do these fairly easily, they tire me out like nothing else. Dips, moved down from 25, it barely shows, will I ever get used to these? <_< DB Rows, stayed at 50 even though I completed it last week...when I do it with 50's I still have trouble keeping me back straight for every rep, maybe I'll stay here a little longer.

Good workout.

Wednesday, March 7

CG Bench: 5,5,4 (120)
    P Curls: 6,6,4 (65)
    Standing PD's: 6-all (75)
    H Curls: 6-all (35's)
    Shrugs: 12,12 (50's)
    Incline Curls: 8-all (20)

CG bench was dumb because my spotter put on a five instead of a ten on one side, so the bar was lopsided (only for the first set). >_>
    P Curls were stupid because at the gym I went to (one I normally don't go to) has curl bars that are so worn down that I can't grip them properly, making it hard to keep the bar from spinning while I curl.
    PD's, H Curls, Incline Curls, good good good
    Shrugs meh

I think I'm getting sick again (I hope to God not, I was just sick). I guess I'll find out soon.

Wed, March 14, 07

CG Bench: 6,6,6 (120)
    P Curls: 6,6,6 (65)
    Standing PD's: 6,4 (85) 3 (80)
    Ab Curls: 8,8,5 (25)
    H Curls: 4/2 (L/R) (40) 6 (35)
    Shrugs: 12,12,12 (140)

I feel the need to explain myself...
    Standing PD's, what happened is I was supposed to be doing 80, but you know how sometimes the weights stick together on cables? That happened, for the entirety of my first 2 sets >_>

Ab Curls, in the past I've held the bar behind my head. Today, for the first two sets, I held it at my chest (which made it loads easier). After I figured out it's just too easy in front of me, I went back to behind the head. Kinda wasted Ab day, but oh well, trial and error.

I'm kinda stuck on H curls now. I can get both sets of 6 at 35 every day, but when I up it to 40, I can barely do them at all. I'm gonna plateu at 35 for a while, i guess, and keep upping the P Curls when I can.

Friday, May 16, 07

Leg Curls: 6,8,8 (90)
    Squats: 8 (115), 6 (135), 6 (155)
    Hack Squats: 6,6 (225)
    SL Deads: 6,6 (195)
    Standing Calf Raises: 12 (135), 12,12 (185)

Ok, Squats are just a pain in my ass. I will conquer them sooner or later! I'm still having trouble with that muscle shelf business, so I got a bar pad, which helped a lot but I still have bar placement issues. On my last set's last rep I felt a white hot burning on my right hip flexor...It didn't really hurt at all, it just concerns me why that would happen.

Hacks are great.

SL Deads...thinking of dropping/replacing these, maybe. They just don't do much for me.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Bench: 6,6,5 (125)
    Chinups: 6,4,3 (20)
    Deads: 6,6 (225)
    Dips: 3,3 (20)
    BO DB Rows: 6,6 (55's)

That was ugly. Bench wiped me out. I don't know why, I ate plenty and drank plenty, but I was just so tired today. COuldn't do a single rep of 35's Chest Press so I canned those for today. My form was poor on BO DB Rows too. Blaaaah