Thread: Bench question, which would you pick and why?

Bench question, which would you pick and why?

Iíve been doing a lot of reading on various routines, different opinions etc.. While what works for one may not work for another, and there are a lot of variables involved, im trying to keep this simple.

What I am asking is your opinion on a simple question.

For someone who is at a intermediate level trying to improve there overall bench max, which option would you pick and why?

1. Benching twice a week ( 5x5 routine, Westside, etc.. )

2. Benching once a week, with a second day dedicated to triceps, and or bench press assistance movements.
    Last edited by View 1; 02-03-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

PoutineEh
    im no expert, but id say number 1. what better way to up your bench is to do it.

number one. I like Westside and all of their principles.

number two thats the way we train at southside and my gains say the second option is the best good luck bro

Banned
    I've done both. As an intermediate lifter, if you want your bench to increase, I would use the Westside Methods. Read the articles and follow them to the letter. Remember this:
    Dynamic day is for SPEED! Be fast!
    Max Effort day is for strength. Learn to grind out weight 5x5 doesn't really have you handle enough heavy weight to really learn to grind out weights. Just like Westside, work in the 1-3 rep range on all ME work. Follow the DE and ME workouts with Shoulders, Triceps, and Lats. Pick 1 exercise each and make sure it's a good one. 3-5 sets in the 5-15 rep range. Pay attention to what your body tells you. Learn when you can step on the gas and when you need to back off. That's what makes Westside so great.

Thanks for all of the feed back.

Right now I am doing a Westside type routine, except I keep my ME exercise's at
    a 5rm ( no triples or singles at this time still trying to add some size and not just strength, and yes I know size comes with strength ) and since my 1 rep max is so low I donít do speed work at this point, I do 3x8 or 4x6 instead of DE work.

Iíve been doing this routine for close to 3 months and have added about 25 pounds on my 1RM, so yes I am happy with it.

I just was just noticing that alot of programs out there ( mostly linear based ones ) do alot of bench pressing, where Westside uses movements that bring up your bench press. And while Westside is more for advance lifters, I was thinking that maybe I am better of starting with something different.

I know they always say that if its working than dont fix it, just wondering if maybe something is more effective. What can I say I am a Virgo I over analyze everything.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Actually the basic Westside template is for most lifters. It is the advanced lifters who vary it a bit. If you are not wearing gear I would highly recommend the Westside routine, you will get both big and strong.

this is a pretty helpful thread as my bench lags terribly also, and wanted to know the same thing.

im guessing you bench raw also VIEW?

are rack presses, lockouts, and all that stuff good for a raw bencher? theres so much stuff on geared pressers.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post

are rack presses, lockouts, and all that stuff good for a raw bencher? theres so much stuff on geared pressers.
    it all depends on what your weak areas are. for raw benching or anyform of benching to improve you most boost your weak areas, focusing on them.

Intensity is EVERYTHING
    5x5 routine, easily. Though, I would add speed days and would alternate between 5x5 and a 6,5,4,3,2 rep workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    im guessing you bench raw also VIEW?
    Yes. My weak point has always been my bench. Its nice to say I can deadlift 375 pounds ( my new PR ) but I cant even bench 200 pounds Yes it takes time but still.

I've included DB floor presses ( I work out alone so a BB floor press is a no no ) and bench press from mid point in a power rack, and they seem to help alot, because my mid point was where I was having issue's.

I've just been thinking that I've been doing a westside type routine for almost 3 months, why not for say 10 weeks try something different. Just to see which routine works best for me right now. If westside works better than I know for sure that it does, but if I dont know that for sure, than how do I know what really works best for me right now? And if westside works better than I would not look at the 10 weeks as a lose, it proved what does work, and if a different routine worked better than westside now I know.

Also I do everything to a 5RM right now, maybe if I started to include a 3RM into my routine, gains may come faster? Opinions on this?

Again thanks for everyones feedback.

I have until next week to decided what to do, im getting over a really bad bad flu ( haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks it was that bad ) im going this week but Im just going to take it easy, nothing heavy.

Banned
    IMO, if you're doing rep work on DE day, you should be in the 8-12 range. There's no need to do sets of 5 if you already have the hi volume day in place of speed day. I would start doing triples on ME day. Remember, Max Effort is about straining and pushing weight that is above 90% for at least 3 sets. You won't get 3 sets at or above 90% doing 5's. You really should drop to singles now, but try 3's for about a month. Then drop to singles.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    IMO, if you're doing rep work on DE day, you should be in the 8-12 range. There's no need to do sets of 5 if you already have the hi volume day in place of speed day. I would start doing triples on ME day. Remember, Max Effort is about straining and pushing weight that is above 90% for at least 3 sets. You won't get 3 sets at or above 90% doing 5's. You really should drop to singles now, but try 3's for about a month. Then drop to singles.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking about it alot, and I think that is what I am going to do. I came across the article below and it pretty much states what you already said.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ma...t_mistakes.htm

Question though I never included a deload week before, do you think it is a good idea to include one, say every 3 or 4 weeks when your in the 1-3 rep range?
    Last edited by View 1; 02-05-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Banned
    I haven't deloaded in 2 years. It's not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. I'd say hit it hard for 3 weeks and then back off. On my deload week, I'd work up to 90% for a single and then move on to the next exercise. Like this:
    135x5
    225x5
    275x3
    315x3
    365x1
    405x1
    my best raw bench is 475

Hope that helps

@RhodeHouse - Yes that helps. I should have been more specific as I didn't mean a total deload, but a reduction in overall workload, and what you do is exactly what I was thinking.