The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive Chest

Massive Chest

What is the BEST routine or single most productive set to build a chest that would make Sly or Arnold proud???

Please include weight type (free, machine etc), rep count, weight increase and amount of weight with your suggestions or advice. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

calf raises

A barbell and heavy weight, in the 6-8 range works for sure..heavy weight with ''good'' form builds dense slabs of muscle
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 12-23-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    calf raises
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Gaskell View Post
    A barbell and heavy weight, in the 6-8 range works for sure..heavy weight with ''good'' form builds dense slabs of muscle
    Yeah, but standing, sitting, lying down? Single arm, dual? I always try to use "natural" form as a range of motion so I don't damage anything - - - I try not to bend anything in a way it's not suppose to be...lol.

Dumbell press, lying flat.

youve been here since october 2002 and u dont know what is a good exercise for chest?

barbell or dumbell bench.lying down on a flat bench.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

yup, heavy bench press, look at any pro powerlifter or even bodybuilder, bench is the priority
    2000 or bust

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Milk and squats.

And maybe some heavy dumbell benching, 5x5.

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    youve been here since october 2002 and u dont know what is a good exercise for chest?

barbell or dumbell bench.lying down on a flat bench.
    no, it's not that - I do my chest routine: pec deck, military press and bench press but I seem to have hit a wall and I don't know if it's my age (42) or I've maxed the potential from the routines I'm doing - - - for instance; as a warmup I do the entire rack of the pec deck...but I need more. I also do dumbell flys at 85lbs per side what I'm afraid of is damaging or stressing the bone or joints too much.

I know what to do I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something or if there is something I've yet to explore - - - knowledge at any age always helps.

On the flat bench barbell...left than right or together?

Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg64 View Post
    no, it's not that - I do my chest routine: pec deck, military press and bench press but I seem to have hit a wall and I don't know if it's my age (42) or I've maxed the potential from the routines I'm doing - - - for instance; as a warmup I do the entire rack of the pec deck...but I need more. I also do dumbell flys at 85lbs per side what I'm afraid of is damaging or stressing the bone or joints too much.

I know what to do I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something or if there is something I've yet to explore - - - knowledge at any age always helps.

On the flat bench barbell...left than right or together?
    Military press for chest???

Try some dbell press. Throw in some incline/decline bench work. IMO you should drop the flys. What does your whole routine look like? Sets/reps etc

barbell means that you use a bar so you push both hands up together. try doing chest dips and incline bench aswell as flat to help get past your plateau.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by EvanH View Post
    Military press for chest???

Try some dbell press. Throw in some incline/decline bench work. IMO you should drop the flys. What does your whole routine look like? Sets/reps etc
    Okay, I'll try to breaK this down - - - maybe it's a seated bench press and not military - - - I do an incline press too. Alright let me break this down...

Monday: crunch/legs/stomach/brief crossover flys with low weight (30lbs) 2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Tuesday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Wedneday: crunch/pec deck (full rack/280lbs I think)/incline press (320lbs)/shrug (85lbs per side)/dumbell flys (85lbs per side)/rowing pull (280lbs)/stomach/2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Thursday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Friday: crunch/seated bench press (320lbs)/seated curl (50lbs per side)/reverse curl (50lbs per side)/pull-push down (120lbs)/stomach/ 2 sets of 10 reps on all

Sat/Sun: rest

If any of you guys think this needs to be adjusted or modified by all means chime in - - - we never stop learning new things, and I will always listen to solid advice...

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    barbell means that you use a bar so you push both hands up together. try doing chest dips and incline bench aswell as flat to help get past your plateau.
    yeah, duh...sorry - - - too much Rocky this week.

Okay, I'll try to breaK this down - - - maybe it's a seated bench press and not military - - - I do an incline press too. Alright let me break this down...

Monday: crunch/legs/stomach/brief crossover flys with low weight (30lbs) 2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Tuesday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Wedneday: crunch/pec deck (full rack/280lbs I think)/incline press (320lbs)/shrug (85lbs per side)/dumbell flys (85lbs per side)/rowing pull (280lbs)/stomach/2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Thursday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Friday: crunch/seated bench press (320lbs)/seated curl (50lbs per side)/reverse curl (50lbs per side)/pull-push down (120lbs)/stomach/ 2 sets of 10 reps on all

Sat/Sun: rest

If any of you guys think this needs to be adjusted or modified by all means chime in - - - we never stop learning new things, and I will always listen to solid advice...
    Honestly, that is a horrible program. I think you should look around at a few programs here. It's good to workout one part multiple times a week, but you're not doing much else.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Honestly, that is a horrible program. I think you should look around at a few programs here. It's good to workout one part multiple times a week, but you're not doing much else.
    Could you elaborate on that for me and point out the errors and uselessness of what I am doing. I actually thought it was pretty good - - - so that is why I ask, I obviously need a new routine to blast it up a level here. Remember though I train alone because I can't get anyone my age to do this type of workout with me at all.

I will check out some of the routines here - - - if you can suggest any particular one from what you have read in the posts so far, by all means be my guest. I have a feeling I am going to need to rethink my whole approach to this in order to make new gains...

Iron4Life
    Throw your program out the window.. and try either WBB 1 or 2... or BGB..
    Links are in my sig..

Go Heavy.. and get off the machines..

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Throw your program out the window.. and try either WBB 1 or 2... or BGB..
    Links are in my sig..

Go Heavy.. and get off the machines..
    I had only gone to the machines for lack of a spotter - - - not only that I needed someone who could handle the weight I was working with if need be in a failure situation. I want to go big, but I still need to be safe...

Could you elaborate on that for me and point out the errors and uselessness of what I am doing. I actually thought it was pretty good - - - so that is why I ask, I obviously need a new routine to blast it up a level here. Remember though I train alone because I can't get anyone my age to do this type of workout with me at all.

I will check out some of the routines here - - - if you can suggest any particular one from what you have read in the posts so far, by all means be my guest. I have a feeling I am going to need to rethink my whole approach to this in order to make new gains...
    You're missing a lot of key parts. You do not need a spotter for most exercises and going big does not mean going to failure.

Like ******edfishsquirrel said, check out wbb1/2 and bgb from the main site. If you'd like something more focused on chest, I am sure you can modify BGB to be more chest related.

You're missing a lot of key parts. You do not need a spotter for most exercises and going big does not mean going to failure.

Like ******edfishsquirrel said, check out wbb1/2 and bgb from the main site. If you'd like something more focused on chest, I am sure you can modify BGB to be more chest related.

Alright I'm an idiot ...what's BGB

and also since I'm throwing it all out the window I will be searching the forums for new info so don't flame some of my what seem like "dumb" posts...thanks.

No one's going to flame you man, everyone starts somewhere.

BGB is a program on wannabebig.com. As manbearpig said, there's a link in his signature for it.

Iron4Life
    BadDawg... as Copernicus said.. big weights don't need big spotters.. or going to failure..

And I'm not flaming you.. just trying to help...

Like ******edfishsquirrel said
    As manbearpig said,
    Copernicus - you made my day!! Thanks for the early Christmas present.. I rolling in my underwear...

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    BadDawg... as Copernicus said.. big weights don't need big spotters.. or going to failure..

And I'm not flaming you.. just trying to help...

Copernicus - you made my day!! Thanks for the early Christmas present.. I rolling in my underwear...
    no, no - I know you weren't flaming me - - - I meant for some of my future posts that might seem a little dumb since I'll probably ask a few trying to build this new routine. It's very different building a new routine at 42 than it is at 22...or even 32 for that matter.

Iron4Life
    no, no - I know you weren't flaming me - - - I meant for some of my future posts that might seem a little dumb since I'll probably ask a few trying to build this new routine. It's very different building a new routine at 42 than it is at 22...or even 32 for that matter.
    I'm only 6 months behind ya dude...
    I change my program all the time...
    Just remember the basics... Squat, DL, Compound Exercises, Lift Heavy, Eat Right & Rest Enough...
    GL.. and keep progressing... we ain't over the hill yet!!

Get off the machines bro. You want a big bench, so why don't you bench?
    Last edited by Chris686; 12-23-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.