Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Massive Chest

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10

    Massive Chest

    What is the BEST routine or single most productive set to build a chest that would make Sly or Arnold proud???

    Please include weight type (free, machine etc), rep count, weight increase and amount of weight with your suggestions or advice. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member ViciousBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    467
    calf raises

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    0
    A barbell and heavy weight, in the 6-8 range works for sure..heavy weight with ''good'' form builds dense slabs of muscle
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 12-23-2006 at 10:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    calf raises
    LOL

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Gaskell View Post
    A barbell and heavy weight, in the 6-8 range works for sure..heavy weight with ''good'' form builds dense slabs of muscle
    Yeah, but standing, sitting, lying down? Single arm, dual? I always try to use "natural" form as a range of motion so I don't damage anything - - - I try not to bend anything in a way it's not suppose to be...lol.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London U.K
    Posts
    632
    Dumbell press, lying flat.

  7. #7
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    youve been here since october 2002 and u dont know what is a good exercise for chest?

    barbell or dumbell bench.lying down on a flat bench.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    yup, heavy bench press, look at any pro powerlifter or even bodybuilder, bench is the priority
    2000 or bust

  9. #9
    Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NORTHERN Virginia
    Posts
    1,381
    Milk and squats.


    And maybe some heavy dumbell benching, 5x5.

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    youve been here since october 2002 and u dont know what is a good exercise for chest?

    barbell or dumbell bench.lying down on a flat bench.
    no, it's not that - I do my chest routine: pec deck, military press and bench press but I seem to have hit a wall and I don't know if it's my age (42) or I've maxed the potential from the routines I'm doing - - - for instance; as a warmup I do the entire rack of the pec deck...but I need more. I also do dumbell flys at 85lbs per side what I'm afraid of is damaging or stressing the bone or joints too much.

    I know what to do I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something or if there is something I've yet to explore - - - knowledge at any age always helps.

    On the flat bench barbell...left than right or together?

  11. #11
    Senior Member EvanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Scranton, PA
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg64 View Post
    no, it's not that - I do my chest routine: pec deck, military press and bench press but I seem to have hit a wall and I don't know if it's my age (42) or I've maxed the potential from the routines I'm doing - - - for instance; as a warmup I do the entire rack of the pec deck...but I need more. I also do dumbell flys at 85lbs per side what I'm afraid of is damaging or stressing the bone or joints too much.

    I know what to do I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something or if there is something I've yet to explore - - - knowledge at any age always helps.

    On the flat bench barbell...left than right or together?
    Military press for chest???

    Try some dbell press. Throw in some incline/decline bench work. IMO you should drop the flys. What does your whole routine look like? Sets/reps etc

  12. #12
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    barbell means that you use a bar so you push both hands up together. try doing chest dips and incline bench aswell as flat to help get past your plateau.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  13. #13
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanH View Post
    Military press for chest???

    Try some dbell press. Throw in some incline/decline bench work. IMO you should drop the flys. What does your whole routine look like? Sets/reps etc
    Okay, I'll try to breaK this down - - - maybe it's a seated bench press and not military - - - I do an incline press too. Alright let me break this down...

    Monday: crunch/legs/stomach/brief crossover flys with low weight (30lbs) 2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Tuesday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Wedneday: crunch/pec deck (full rack/280lbs I think)/incline press (320lbs)/shrug (85lbs per side)/dumbell flys (85lbs per side)/rowing pull (280lbs)/stomach/2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Thursday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Friday: crunch/seated bench press (320lbs)/seated curl (50lbs per side)/reverse curl (50lbs per side)/pull-push down (120lbs)/stomach/ 2 sets of 10 reps on all

    Sat/Sun: rest

    If any of you guys think this needs to be adjusted or modified by all means chime in - - - we never stop learning new things, and I will always listen to solid advice...

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    barbell means that you use a bar so you push both hands up together. try doing chest dips and incline bench aswell as flat to help get past your plateau.
    yeah, duh...sorry - - - too much Rocky this week.

  15. #15
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg64 View Post
    Okay, I'll try to breaK this down - - - maybe it's a seated bench press and not military - - - I do an incline press too. Alright let me break this down...

    Monday: crunch/legs/stomach/brief crossover flys with low weight (30lbs) 2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Tuesday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Wedneday: crunch/pec deck (full rack/280lbs I think)/incline press (320lbs)/shrug (85lbs per side)/dumbell flys (85lbs per side)/rowing pull (280lbs)/stomach/2 sets of 10 reps on all
    Thursday: cardio/running/bike/treadmill
    Friday: crunch/seated bench press (320lbs)/seated curl (50lbs per side)/reverse curl (50lbs per side)/pull-push down (120lbs)/stomach/ 2 sets of 10 reps on all

    Sat/Sun: rest

    If any of you guys think this needs to be adjusted or modified by all means chime in - - - we never stop learning new things, and I will always listen to solid advice...
    Honestly, that is a horrible program. I think you should look around at a few programs here. It's good to workout one part multiple times a week, but you're not doing much else.

  16. #16
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Honestly, that is a horrible program. I think you should look around at a few programs here. It's good to workout one part multiple times a week, but you're not doing much else.
    Could you elaborate on that for me and point out the errors and uselessness of what I am doing. I actually thought it was pretty good - - - so that is why I ask, I obviously need a new routine to blast it up a level here. Remember though I train alone because I can't get anyone my age to do this type of workout with me at all.

    I will check out some of the routines here - - - if you can suggest any particular one from what you have read in the posts so far, by all means be my guest. I have a feeling I am going to need to rethink my whole approach to this in order to make new gains...

  17. #17
    Iron4Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting on cold Granite
    Posts
    3,313
    Throw your program out the window.. and try either WBB 1 or 2... or BGB..
    Links are in my sig..

    Go Heavy.. and get off the machines..

  18. #18
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Throw your program out the window.. and try either WBB 1 or 2... or BGB..
    Links are in my sig..

    Go Heavy.. and get off the machines..
    I had only gone to the machines for lack of a spotter - - - not only that I needed someone who could handle the weight I was working with if need be in a failure situation. I want to go big, but I still need to be safe...

  19. #19
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg64 View Post
    Could you elaborate on that for me and point out the errors and uselessness of what I am doing. I actually thought it was pretty good - - - so that is why I ask, I obviously need a new routine to blast it up a level here. Remember though I train alone because I can't get anyone my age to do this type of workout with me at all.

    I will check out some of the routines here - - - if you can suggest any particular one from what you have read in the posts so far, by all means be my guest. I have a feeling I am going to need to rethink my whole approach to this in order to make new gains...
    You're missing a lot of key parts. You do not need a spotter for most exercises and going big does not mean going to failure.

    Like ******edfishsquirrel said, check out wbb1/2 and bgb from the main site. If you'd like something more focused on chest, I am sure you can modify BGB to be more chest related.

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    You're missing a lot of key parts. You do not need a spotter for most exercises and going big does not mean going to failure.

    Like ******edfishsquirrel said, check out wbb1/2 and bgb from the main site. If you'd like something more focused on chest, I am sure you can modify BGB to be more chest related.

    Alright I'm an idiot ...what's BGB

    and also since I'm throwing it all out the window I will be searching the forums for new info so don't flame some of my what seem like "dumb" posts...thanks.

  21. #21
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    No one's going to flame you man, everyone starts somewhere.

    BGB is a program on wannabebig.com. As manbearpig said, there's a link in his signature for it.

  22. #22
    Iron4Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting on cold Granite
    Posts
    3,313
    BadDawg... as Copernicus said.. big weights don't need big spotters.. or going to failure..

    And I'm not flaming you.. just trying to help...

    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Like ******edfishsquirrel said
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    As manbearpig said,
    Copernicus - you made my day!! Thanks for the early Christmas present.. I rolling in my underwear...

  23. #23
    Wannabebig Member BadDawg64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    BadDawg... as Copernicus said.. big weights don't need big spotters.. or going to failure..

    And I'm not flaming you.. just trying to help...



    Copernicus - you made my day!! Thanks for the early Christmas present.. I rolling in my underwear...
    no, no - I know you weren't flaming me - - - I meant for some of my future posts that might seem a little dumb since I'll probably ask a few trying to build this new routine. It's very different building a new routine at 42 than it is at 22...or even 32 for that matter.

  24. #24
    Iron4Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting on cold Granite
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg64 View Post
    no, no - I know you weren't flaming me - - - I meant for some of my future posts that might seem a little dumb since I'll probably ask a few trying to build this new routine. It's very different building a new routine at 42 than it is at 22...or even 32 for that matter.
    I'm only 6 months behind ya dude...
    I change my program all the time...
    Just remember the basics... Squat, DL, Compound Exercises, Lift Heavy, Eat Right & Rest Enough...
    GL.. and keep progressing... we ain't over the hill yet!!

  25. #25
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Get off the machines bro. You want a big bench, so why don't you bench?
    Last edited by Chris686; 12-23-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Similar Threads

  1. Routine that hits chest and legs twice a week
    By bc2004 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:19 PM
  2. So, a thread about upper and lower chest
    By musclette in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
  3. Chest exercises at home?
    By Igs in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 02:50 PM
  4. HST - a 4th day of Chest?
    By Avatar in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2002, 09:48 AM
  5. need help with chest!
    By wild in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2002, 10:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •