Thread: High-volume short-rest program - What do you guys think?

High-volume short-rest program - What do you guys think?

I'll try to make this as short and simple as i can. I went to the gym with my uncle yesterday and did whatever he told me. He's been into and loved bodybuilding all his life, so he wanted to show me some stuff.

I've never really worked out in this way before, so it was a lot different than i'm used to.

I should have wrote my workout down yesterday though, so i would have remembered 100%. I just can't remember 100% how the benching went. What i have here should be very close, so you get the idea.

What does everyone think of this workout? I'm just looking for opinions and critiques i guess.

BB Bench
    warmup
    8 x 185 normal/medium grip which is pretty wide - The last 3-4 reps were negatives (lowering the bar to my chest as slow as i could)
    6-8 x 165 close grip - negatives
    6-8 x 155 closer grip - negatives
    8 x 135 close grip - negatives
    6 x 155 wide grip - negatives
    4 or so x 175 normal grip, normal reps
    4 or so x 165 normal grip, normal reps

I rested much much less than i normally do between sets. Inbetween my intense heavy benches sets i usually rest 2 minutes. I rested about 30 seconds inbetween those, no more. I'd rack the weight, sit up on the bench, my uncle would change the weight, and i'd do the next set. I walked over and got a drink once. That was the most i got to rest.

Also, with the negatives, my uncle would help on the last few on every set. I mean, i'd lower as slow as possible, and he'd help it back up. I'm not used to lifting that way, or with hardly any rest, so half way through benching doing that, i was completely exhausted and could hardly move. On the last two sets of normal benching, i could hardly get a rep or two, so my uncle helped me with a couple more.

DB Bench/Overhead Extension supersets

My chest and tri's were so exhausted by this point that i didn't think i'd be able to move them. I can't remember what weight i used here. I just remember that it was pretty light. It was 25's or 35's or something.

10 x 25's or 35's? SS 10 x 25 or 35?
    10 x SS 10 x
    10 x SS 10 x

These were extremely light and easy, but i was so exhausted, half way through the reps it became more difficult than i thought. Actually it was really difficult half way through.

Pushdowns
    12 x 20
    12 x 25
    12 x 30
    12 x 35
    8 x 42.5 (machine has weird numbers)
    12 x 30

BB Curls (olympic 45lb bar)
    12 x Bar (a little wider grip)
    12 x Bar (a little narrower grip)
    12 x Bar (wider)
    12 x Bar (narrower)

DB Curls
    10 x 25s
    10 x 25s
    10 x 25s
    10 x 25s

Really concentrating on flexing my muscle at the top.

That's a lot of volume. If you aren't used to doing that much, then it's a bad idea to add that much volume to your workouts all at once. According to Christian Thibaudeau, it's always best to GRADUALLY increase or decrease your work load.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I've never been a fan of very short rests between sets. I feel the optimum resting time (for me at least, and most people I talk to) is from 90 seconds to 150 seconds. Resting longer obviously allows you to lift more in the following set, but you're dealing with diminishing marginal returns after 3 to 4 minutes or so IMO. The reason I feel resting too short is a bad idea too is because sometimes (unless you lower the weight enough) you tend to break form right from the first couple reps. Anyway, throwing a random day into your routine every once in a while couldn't hurt, it's a good way to learn new things and maybe alter your routine.

One more thing, I hope that 45lb bar you were curling with didn't come from a squat rack

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

First thing, you'll never find me curling in a squat rack. I'm not that kinda guy. Haha.

Thanks for the responses. I worked out again today with my uncle. We did legs, shoulders, forearms.

Squats
    8 x 135
    10 x 135
    12 x 135
    20 x 135

I did the first set as a warmup. I was going to bump it up to 185 then for a heavier warmup, but my uncle said that i wasn't going to squat heavy today. He had me do that. It was easy, but tiring by the end of the last set. I felt a pump, and a burn starting, woo.

Leg Extensions
    12 x 90 (I can't remember the exact weights, but it doesn't matter, it went like this)
    12 x 100
    12 x 120, right away 8 x 100, right away 10 x 50 or something

Minimal rest. Right when the other guy finished his set, you'd go.

Leg Curls
    12 x 80
    12 x 100
    6 x 120, right away 6 x 100, right away 12 x 50 or something

Minimal rest as usual.

Seated Calf Raise Machine
    12 x 45
    12 x 45
    12 x 45

Standing Calf Raises
    30 x BW
    30 x BW
    30 x BW

Sissy Squats
    30 x BW
    30 x BW

Overhead Press or Arnolds SS Side Laterals
    10 x 25 SS 10 x 10
    10 x 25 SS 10 x 10
    10 x 25 SS 10 x 10, then right away front raises with the 10's, 10 reps

My front delts were/are sore from yesterday. I didn't want to do this since my muscle was already sore, but whatever.

Forearms
    We did a handful of different variations of forearm wrist curls or whatever you want to call them. The first "set" involved three different variations, 30 reps. Then we did regular sets of 12. We did about 6-8 sets total.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 01-31-2007 at 04:51 PM.

I agree Guido. I didn't have any clue what my uncle was going to have me try out. I'll live though.

I'm still looking for opinions/critiques on these workouts. Personally, i've hated these two workouts.

Who knows, maybe my uncle plans to have heavy days sometimes. But so far, it seems that he's geared towards using light weight, high volume, short rest periods, so that you completely exhaust your muscle group. And then you exhaust it more. He asks me a lot how my muscles are feeling. He'll ask me if they're burning. Well hell yeah, after you do five sets of something with pretty high reps, with hardly any rest, you feel a burn.

I don't care to feel the "burn" though.

Anyways, any more opinions are welcome.

Wannabebig Member
    If you're looking for a work out and you don't like your uncle's workout try BGB or WBB I

I'm sorry, i didn't really explain much. I'm not looking for a workout.

I moved in with my aunt and uncle a couple months ago. My uncle has been into bodybuilding his whole life. He competed when he was 18 (i'm not trying to be an ass, but he was just very lean and skinny). When he grew older, he was looking pretty good though. Anyways, he has albums full of pictures that he's taken of all the oldschool guys - arnold, franco, zane, serge nubret, etc. He knows who won every olympia and who was in every olympia, all sorts of stuff. Basically, he loves bodybuilding. It's something we have in common so we end up discussing it all the time everyday.

He had major surgery a year ago. I don't know the details, but he has a metal plate in his neck now. He was finally able to get a gym membership again this week, at my gym. He pretty much expected/expects me to workout with him. Hell, my uncle is awesome and i like lifting with him, but i don't care to workout in the way that he wants me to.

He believes that he can show me much better ways of lifting than i already know and do. He believes that my routine is horrible.

I feel obligated to give his way a shot, so i am. So now i'm curious as to what other people have to say about the workouts he's had me do.

Hmmm.

Well, how about you ask him what it is that he doesn't like about how you train, and what it is about the way he trains that he feels is better. Ask him for a rationale.

Yep. High volume, high frequency, short rest periods aren't the most effective way to gain muscle fast. It will get you there...eventually...but if you're looking to make gains faster you need to up the weight and lift using proven rep ranges with sufficient intensity to stimulate new muscle growth. This high volume stuff your doing might help your overall conditioning and endurance, but it's not going to make you huge very quickly, if at all.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I agree.

I'm trying to remember what he's said about my routine, and why his way is better.

1) He believes that upper/lower splits are horrible. Upper for example - He claims that it's not good to work your chest and your back in the same workout because they are too big of muscle groups.

2) My upper/lower split supposedly isn't enough volume.

pinky, I just noticed that you are in McHenry, Illinois. I used to live in Crystal Lake!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Yep, i've lived around the area all of my life. I just moved to Woodstock actually.