The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

WPO and the Arnold?

First off congratulations to our members who are participating! Its got to be a freaking rush to do it.

On to the main point of the thread...I've been reading over on www.powerliftingwatch.com about everything that's going on with the Bench Bash and the WPO finals. I was wanting to get a few other people's reaction to on the no videoing and rule changes. I'd love to see more lifters get money out of this but if they aren't receiving any money from the proceeds I don't see the point of it. I'm sure its got to cost a bundle to run the Finals at the Arnold but is there not more revenue from other areas coming in to pay the lifters, some of which have yet to receive money owed.

And the rule changes like the length of the wraps and the 3-ply limit? Are they not allowed to have briefs under their squat suits? The limit on the bench shirts? How the hell can they change the rules of the APF/WPO for one event or is this going to be a permanent rule change?

And what's the deal with who is able to compete?
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/3757
    I thought that you qualified and were able to compete. Where's Donnie Thompson? I thought for sure he had qualified. Even if he didn't do a APF or WPO meet this year, I thought his placing last year or the year before secured him a place. Is this the roster of people that have accepted and paid their way or just a tentative list.

From reading over there, it just seems like there is a lot of BS happening in the background and none of it sounds good for anybody. I'd love to hear other peoples' opinions that are closer to the situation.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

As far as the Camera and video taping that is BS, there is no way in hell they are gonna stop everyone at the Arnold from videotaping the event. Wont happen, We videoed Jay's lifts last year and I have VHS of my lifts at the Chicago BB4C so it is BS.

As for all the behind the scenes political BS I'm just going there to lift. I know what i'm getting into and I know there wont be crap for prizes and money. But I did not get in this sport for the $$$ hell if that was the case I would not be benching. I'd be driving Nascar or something there top guys are millionaires and my wife says I'd fit in Just dont think I'd fitin the car

There is alot of finger pointing and name calling going on right now. There are people saying that I dont deserve to be there, and others dont deserve to be there. Well the way I look at it the others have had there shot and the vast majority BOMBED!!! Have I ever bombed? Well yeah twice in 11 yrs so I guess my track record aint to bad. Granted I only have about 15 contest under my belt but still in todays times where bombs are part of most geared meets I think everyone deserves there shot.

I hope that KK can turn around the WPO and that he puts on a great meet with plenty of warm up time and GOOD benches for warm ups. Only time will tell but my dream as a lifter for the last 11 years has been to be on the stage and Dammit this year my ass is on it and aint no one gonna stop it now.

Just my 2 cents

Wolfy!!!
    Last edited by bigbadwolfe; 02-06-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    MONSTER MODE

Well I didn't get invited, so something is definitely ****ed.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Get after it Wolfy. I wish you the best of luck. I like your attitude about it. Go lift there because it's the Arnold. Rock on, Bro! SFW!

My advice for you Big Bad Wolf is to open light and have fun. It's very hectic, but it's an amazing experience. Like no other contest you have every competed in. Enjoy. I wish every powerlifter got to enjoy competing on that stage once in their lives. As for the other crap, that's not for me to sort out.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-06-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Mike definitely deserves to be in the comp, he puts up big weight consistantly and he worked long and hard doing "favors" for Sweeney and Kidder

I had to get one in on ya Mike, lol. You do deserve to be in the contest and I hope you kick some serious ass!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolfe View Post
    As far as the Camera and video taping that is BS, there is no way in hell they are gonna stop everyone at the Arnold from videotaping the event. Wont happen, We videoed Jay's lifts last year and I have VHS of my lifts at the Chicago BB4C so it is BS.
    Yeah, I didn't think there would be anything they can do but still to even attempt it is a crock of ****.

As for all the behind the scenes political BS I'm just going there to lift. I know what i'm getting into and I know there wont be crap for prizes and money. But I did not get in this sport for the $$$ hell if that was the case I would not be benching. I'd be driving Nascar or something there top guys are millionaires and my wife says I'd fit in Just dont think I'd fitin the car
    Not even that there isn't a lot of money in it but that some aren't getting paid what they are owed is troubling. I'd do it for fun if at least my membership or entry fee was paid for (and if I was strong enough ).

There is alot of finger pointing and name calling going on right now. There are people saying that I dont deserve to be there, and others dont deserve to be there. Well the way I look at it the others have had there shot and the vast majority BOMBED!!! Have I ever bombed? Well yeah twice in 11 yrs so I guess my track record aint to bad. Granted I only have about 15 contest under my belt but still in todays times where bombs are part of most geared meets I think everyone deserves there shot.
    I certainly think you've accomplished enough to be there but what about those that aren't there that should be? I'm not taking anything away from those that are there, I certainly think that everybody they have listed will put on a good showing but it just concerns me when there are others that could do a lot for the sport that aren't there either. Wolfy, you've got a great attitude and I've heard nothing but good things about you. Best of luck and don't let others talk crap to you. Either they're jealous or just full of it.

I hope that KK can turn around the WPO and that he puts on a great meet with plenty of warm up time and GOOD benches for warm ups. Only time will tell but my dream as a lifter for the last 11 years has been to be on the stage and Dammit this year my ass is on it and aint no one gonna stop it now.
    I'd like to see the guys that own and run the WPO do something about all the negative publicity and turn it around. I guess that bad publicity is better than no publicity at all but if its at the expense of you, the athletes, I'd like to see something done. Of course I'm just one little dude, but I love the sport of powerlifting and hate to see it dragged through the mud, either with the WPO's operations or the controversy over the IPF's rule changes. It just seems like there's a lot of crap going on all over the place.

Anyway, thanks for the response! I was looking for people's opinions closer to the matter since I'm just really getting into powerlifting, it could have been like this all along and I'm just learning about it or it could have just started.
    What is elite?

Same old crap. KK seems like a nice guy and you got to admire him for bringing in $$ to PL, but definately a lot of drama in that organization.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I believe there was money for the benching at the Arnold before KK ever got there.

We have teamed-up with Louie Simmons and Westside Barbell to provide some cash to the lifters at the meet. We will present the monies to the lifters at the show (cash in fist---or a check at worst)! I am not sure who else Louie may be getting to participate.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

By the way Wolfe, when they see the new lean and sexy you no one will have anything to say about you being there!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Kudos to you and Louie. Thanks for supporting powerlifting in such a big way.

And just so everyone knows I'm coming out to Justin Timberlake's "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" hahaha!!!

Oh YEAH!!! You all think I'm joking
    Last edited by bigbadwolfe; 02-07-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    MONSTER MODE

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    We have teamed-up with Louie Simmons and Westside Barbell to provide some cash to the lifters at the meet. We will present the monies to the lifters at the show (cash in fist---or a check at worst)! I am not sure who else Louie may be getting to participate.
    That's awesome, Chris! I'm very glad to hear that.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolfe View Post
    And just so everyone knows I'm coming out to Justin Timberlake's "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" hahaha!!!

Oh YEAH!!! You all think I'm joking
    That's just scary.
    What is elite?