Thread: Partial Deadlift Form

Partial Deadlift Form

I work back the day after I do legs (squats), but have heard that deadlifts are simply the way to go for an overall growth/strength exercise. No one else I personally know does them and no one at my gym does them either when I'm there.

But from what I've read, it seems that if I want to leave my legs out of the lift, I should use partials. My question is, is that known as a "straight leg" deadlift? Basically I'm trying to look up some online demo of what motion I should use, and what I should be careful of to make sure I don't hurt myself. Is this right: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

I tried them once last week, and they felt pretty awkward (which I think is to be expected, right?). I was in the power rack, and used about 135 (bar and 2 45's), with the pegs on the rack set about knee level. I was bending over, trying not to curve my back, and keeping my knees locked.

I wasn't exactly sure if I should be keeping the bar close to my body, or if it varies as you pull it up. I also wasn't sure exactly what muscles I should really be concentrating on. I do know that my fingers/hands were giving out from pulling weight that way (which I'm obviously not used to.).

Any suggestions including alternate movements? Thanks for the help!

:withstupi

Senior of Kinesiology
    The stait leg deadlift or SLDL is primarly for you butt and hamstrings. Do not lock you knees when doing it, but try to keep you legs fairly strait. Pull with you hams and but and do not arch your back. You can keep the bar all the way down. Hope this helped
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

If the Straight Leg is for hams and glutes, what motion or deadlift type will work more of my uppper body (lower back and traps)?

And when you say not to arch my back, do you guys bend forward and pull up until your back is straight, or do you try not to bend the actual spine too much?

I always thought SLDL worked the lower back the most? Or at least that is where I feel it the most.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    SLDL works both the hamstrings and lower back, among other things.

The form in that video is attrocious(sp?).

Do you want to know the proper form on sldl, partials or full conventional/sumo deads?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I'd like to know the correct form for Partials, which I think is the one that I read that works more of your lower back than legs.

What is a sumo anyway?

A big fat wrestler in Japan who wears diapers.

Sumo style is what I use. It basically is a deadlift where your hands are inside of your legs and your legs are out wide. In a conventional deadlift, your legs are inside your hands, about shoulder width apart.

Partials are done with a power rack. You set the pins to the desired height. It should definitely be below your knees. If you want the least amount of legs in the lift then keep it just below the knees. From there you just deadlift the bar off the pins until you are fully erect(you know what I mean sickos). Bend your legs at the start and straighten them and your back to finish the lift.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Great, thx. I like the partial idea.

Two more quick questions:

-What is the most important thing to concentrate on when pulling it up?

..and probably more important:

-What is the main thing to "never do", ie, what the newbies might do wrong?

Keep everything tight!!!

Don't look down, keep your eyes up, preferably focusing on a point slightly above your head.

Don't start with your legs totally straight, bend them.

Start light until you feel totally comfortable to go heavy.

Use a mixed grip when going heavy unless you have an extremely strong grip.

Keep your chest up and try to push your air into your midesection and hold it at the beginning of the pull. Let it out slow at the top. Helps to keep tight.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig New Member
    geoffgc,

Latman has some good points there, listen to him. The Partial DL, if done properly is a great exercise for developing your lower and upper back, grip and forearms.

Make sure you keep your shoulders back at all times, really make an effort to PULL them together and keep them there, that way you develop your upper back greatly. On the other hand if you let your shoulders strain forward during any part of the movement this will lead to rounding of the upper back and more significantly rotator-cuff injury.

Be especially careful if you want to use this exercise for back development and not leg development. An old training partner of mine started this movement and worked upto some impressive poundages only then to find out he was using the LEGS in an exessive ROM, almost like a partial squat than a PDL. This will not improve your DL to any extent, so take note.

Apart from that, as already stated, start off light, dont jerk the bar up and/or down, keep your head up, chest out, back arched, always slow and controlled.

Oh, and dont jump up in weight too quickly- 2.5kg per week max.

Good luck.

Thank you both.

I think I'm basically going to add it to my routine with very minimal weight for a couple three weeks, until I feel I have the form mostly correct.

I'm having a brainfart right now of what a "mixed grip" is, but I'll look it up. Prolly from the fact that I just killed myself with some great squats a half hour ago, and brain is gettin no blood.

Mixed grip- one hand over the bar, one under. I use an overhand with my right hand and underhand with my left. Helps you hold heavier weight.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL