The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Proper Squat Form

Ok from reading these forums for the last 8 months I have gained a ton of knowledge and have gotten considerably bigger. My questions is what is the proper squat form.

I was in the gym today doing past parallel ATF squats. After my third set I had some kid that didn't even look like he worked out tell me that past parallel was bad for my knees. I didnt really say anything cause' I wasnt 100% sure. I then get in a debate with my friend and his gf about the same thing. Does anyone here have any articles or facts that going ATF is best for squats?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here is an article on the proper form for squatting:

Proper Squatting Technique

For safety reasons you should always perform your squats in a power rack or cage. This way you can adjust the height at which you clear the bar, and you can drop the bar on the safety pins if you need to bail. The safety pins should be set at just below the depth you are squatting and the J Hooks should be set at about the level of your nipples.

At all times during the squat your head should be pulled back, your chest raised and you should have a slight arch in your lower back. You should always be looking straight ahead, and at no time should you be leaning too far forward, or be looking up or down.

Step up to the bar, placing your hands at about the same width as a bench press. Before clearing the bar, make sure it is placed evenly along your traps. The bar should rest on the lower portion of your traps and across your rear delts. It should almost feel as if the bar is going to roll off your back. Now that you have cleared the bar, take only as many steps back as necessary. Most squat injuries occur when backing up, so make sure that you only back up as far as you need to. Your feet should be placed about shoulder width apart or slightly wider, and they should point out at a 45-degree angle.

Take a big, deep breath, and make your descent. You should not lower yourself straight down, but rather as if you were sitting in a chair behind you. At all times your knee must remain in line with your feet, and they should never bow in. Lower yourself until your thighs are at least parallel to the ground. If in doubt, go lower!

As soon as you have reached the bottom position, rise up immediately. Do not relax in the bottom position! Drive up with your heels and straighten your back as quickly as possible.

Once you are in the upright position again, take another deep breath, and continue the lift until you have completed the desired number of reps. How many reps should you perform? It depends. There are many who say that 20 rep squats are the most beneficial. Others say 12-15. Some people might use 6-8. It all depends on the person. I personally perform 5-7 reps. Experiment and see what works best for you!

I've gained like crazy since starting below parallel squats...but i know my form is off because im not completely pushing through my heels...so I'm going to start reading up on Box squats.

BTW, if anybody has any instructional videos on Box squats, I would appreciate it.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Deep squats transfer the load from your knees to your hips, and are in fact better than an above parallel squat.

been asked before, though an important question. going past parallel is not bad for your knees. If your knees bother you, check the width of your feet plantation.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

i find ATF squats easier on my knees and back because i put less weight on than if i were doing parralell ones
    :alcoholic

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Deep squats transfer the load from your knees to your hips, and are in fact better than an above parallel squat.
    go get really bad knees, then say that

i spose i oughta elaborate

going DOWN is easier on your knees then stopping at parallel, but going up is indefinitely harder, because where do you think all the stress is being placed?
    Last edited by uw-lifter96; 02-07-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys. I also looked in Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and it says to go below parallel as well. Where do these people get to just go parallel. It just annoys me that someone would try to correct me on stuff when they don't even know.

Combat Infantryman
    Squats used to hurt my knees and shins like a mofo and I just stuck with machine hack squats until I tried A2G and I can do them just fine. Your mileage may vary.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

I use to have knee problems and ever since I started going past parallel my knees have improved significantly.
    Long signatures SUCK.

~Nico

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uw-lifter96 View Post
    go get really bad knees, then say that

i spose i oughta elaborate

going DOWN is easier on your knees then stopping at parallel, but going up is indefinitely harder, because where do you think all the stress is being placed?
    If you keep the load back, and don't lean forward too much, it really shouldn't be putting that much strain on your knees, and it should be less than on a parallel squat... but then again, my knees are fine, so I can't speak for your situation.