The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Getting back into lifting

I did lift two times a week for football last winter, but have not really lifted since. I used to weight a little less then 260 and now weigh 182 and am 6'2". I lost a substantial amount of muscle in the process though and do not really have a very low body fat percentage (online calculators estimate around 14%, but I really don't know how accurate that is). I'd like to my body fat percentage down too, but not until I put on a bit of muscle mass.

I have decided I would start with Rippetoe's beginner routine to get myself back into lifting. Here is the routine, the workouts are supposed to be alternated every other day, and to be performed three times a week. I am doing it Monday, Wedsneday, and Friday.

Workout A:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B:
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing Military Press
    3x5 Pendlay Rows

I think it is a good starting routine and will get me ready for bigger and better things. I hope to make good strength gains and bulk up a bit too.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wedsneday, January 31st

Squat - 3x5 @ 185, 205, 225
    Standing Military Press - 3x5 @ 65, 75, 75
    Pendlay Rows - 3x5 @ 125

Notes:
    On the last rep of the last set for squats I didn't go parellel. However, I think if I tried harder I could have. I think I'll start a tad lower then 225 next time and concentrae on perfect form.

When it came to the rows I did them completely wrong. I was using too much weight and didn't even do a full row once. Not once did it actually touch my chest. Now I know I wasn't performing them correctly and will start much lighter next time to get used to the movement. Perhaps even just starting with the bar.

When it came to the military press I don't think I performed it correctly either. I tended to arch my back everytime. So, it's obvious I need to work on form, so I'll be watching and reading stuff on the internet before I do those lifts again.

thats a good base to be starting out with, but I personally think you could add in a few more exercises and still be good to go.
    inspirational quote: anything muhammad ali ever said

shoulder rehabbing with a vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by isosceles View Post
    thats a good base to be starting out with, but I personally think you could add in a few more exercises and still be good to go.
    I was thinking adding chin-ups and/or dips would be a good idea, but I like the idea of it being just three workouts a day. My girlfriend is also doing this same routine with me because she wants to loose some weight and I thought keeping them to a minimal amount of exercises would be a good idea.

Maybe in the future things like chin-ups and/or dips may be added though.

Friday, February 2nd

Squat - 3x5 @ 205
    Bench Press - 3x5 @ 145
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 225

I felt like I had my form right on all the lifts, but that doesn't mean they are right, lol. I'll keep working on them. For the squat especially I made sure I went low enough. However, my legs were killing me since the first time I squated in forever was just two days ago, lol.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 02-02-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Monday, February 5th

I had a good workout today. This time I decided to warm up on the treadmill for a couple minutes before I started lifting. I also added some ab work.

Squat - 3x5 @ 220
    Standing Military Press - 3x5 @ 65
    Pendlay Rows - 3x5 @ 95
    Decline situps - 2x8 @ 40

I felt like I had good form on all the lifts. On squats I tried to go parallel every single time. I can probably do more on the rows and military press, but since I screwed up the form so bad last time, I decided I'll start with very low weight and gradually increase it so my form stays correct. I could also increase the squat weight, but I really had to push myself to get those last couple reps. As hard as it was, I still went parallel though.

I also did some ab work. What do you guys think about the addition of that?
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 02-05-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Wedsnesday, February 7th

Squat - 3x5 @ 225
    Bench Press - 3x5 @ 150
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 245
    Abs - 1x5 @ 30

For abs I did something different. I don't remember the name of it, but I would start at the up position on a decline and lower myself until I was parallel and held it for 5 seconds. I repeated that 5 times. I'd do this with a dumbell on my chest. This time I used a 30lb one.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 02-07-2007 at 03:49 PM.