The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Raw Eggs and other protein questions

Hiya lads.

Ok, i've been trying like badarse, and I just wanted all you lot's advice on the benefits of RAW eggs. Ok, I understand the dangers (salmonenla or however you spell it) of RAW eggs, so I don't want any posts regarding that. I'm talking strictly protein. I did a Rocky Balboa and knocked out 6 RAW eggs in one glass before a work out, and 6 eggs after a work out.

Now, reason being is because I can't afford protein shake right now so i'm having to improvise with peanuts and eggs. Plus, I don't have easy access to a cooker. Now, I need to know that in terms of protein, is RAW eggs VERY beneficial compared to cooked eggs? I mean, I heard that you actually get more protein if you down RAW eggs, but i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Anyways, just wanted some honest advice from the lads who know it all.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You have it backwards. Cooked eggs are actually better. No reason to eat them raw at all.
    Nick V

Banned
    The fat may slow protein intake aswell. Might be better to get some carbs and easily digestible protein for p/w.o, to help blunt cortisol response.

I am reading a book called, "Stranger in a Strange Land", where a man was raised by aliens who felt that cannabalism of the recently departed was an honor.

Are there any roomates who wouldn't mind contributing to your cause?
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Why would cooked eggs be so much worse than raw for protein?
    Are you suggesting that with the application of heat, protein disspears into the air?

Basically, cooking eggs denaturates the protein, which usually doesn't really affect how much protein is there, or even the quality of it.

Agreed. Cooking the eggs, if anything helps in releasing the protein more effectively.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Banned
    Ok lads. Cheers for the advice for which I have carefully considered (despite the fact that I didn't want any lectures on the negative aspects). But no, thanks and all this stuff about RAW eggs being bad for you has got me thinking that maybe I should cook them and stick with peanuts and KFC. Cheers lads

Banned
    What bodytype are you?

Banned
    Alright Renegade mate.

Ok, i'm what some of you lot would call an ecto-mesomorph/meso-ectomorph. I'm VERY broad but small boned and have long limbs. I've got natuarally big traps and shoulder muscles but some people consider my legs to be kinda long and skinny. I've been told that I have a swimmers physique, whatever that means.

I stand in at 6 ft 1 1/2 and weigh in at 13 1/2 stone (189 lbs, 86kg). I'm 21 years of age and my body seems to be getting used to putting on a little big of weight finally! To get to the weight i'm at now i've been pushing 70 kgs bench press

Banned
    Also, I don't even have to do cardio to get cut, because i'm VERY naturally cut, lads. Though people feel I should do cardio anyways. To be honest, i'm scared of doing cardio because I don't want to lose what i've gained ): .

The whole raw egg idea is a pretty old concept
    Train.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Don't eat raw eggs. They're nasty, there is a [small] chance of Salmonella poisoning, and they are less bioavailable than cooked eggs. There is no reason to eat raw eggs over cooked eggs.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Just buy protein powder. By the time you get enough eggs and peanut butter to equal the protein, you will be spending more.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Don't eat raw eggs. They're nasty, there is a [small] chance of Salmonella poisoning, and they are less bioavailable than cooked eggs. There is no reason to eat raw eggs over cooked eggs.
    :withstupi

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Not to bring the thread off topic, but does the degree that beef is cooked matter? Is a well done steak easier for your body to absorb than a rare one?

Wannabebig Member
    Well, heating eggs actually changes the chemical structure and deactivates the protein. That is why people like Mercola and Al Sears suggest eating them raw, although Mercola has recently backed off and now cooks the whites but still eats the yolks raw because of the avidin problem. People with egg allergies usually have no problem eating them raw which proves that cooking them does change its properties.

The biotin issue is a concern but generally it takes a long time for biotin to be depleted in the body. I just take biotin supplements in the parts of the day that I am not consuming eggs. I will cook the whites sometimes but I always eat the yolks raw. Most of the time though I eat the whole egg raw, sometimes 20 a day. I have had salmonella 2 or 3 times and it is no worse than a 12 hour flu. If your immune system is healthy, there is nothing to fear. I think alot of people mistake salmonella for e-coli poisoning which explains the fear factor. I know people who eat everything raw (chicken, meat, fish, eggs, milk, etc) and I have never seen them sick, although they have probably had the salmonella bug 100 times. That's what your immune system is there for.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1964bc View Post
    Well, heating eggs actually changes the chemical structure and deactivates the protein. That is why people like....
    WRONG!

It denaturates the protein. Not de-activates.
    LOL, sorry, but listen.
    When you denaturate the protein, it remains relatively intact as a protein, but it loses some of the bonding that holds the molecules tight. When the protein branches are allowed to string out under heat, they no longer act as a fluid because they bind together. That is why it solidifies. BUT, the protein molecules itself stays relatively unchanged in terms of their qualities as protien.

Ye, good luck screwing up the protein's primary structure just using your stove top.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Well, heating eggs actually changes the chemical structure and deactivates the protein.
    No. It doesn't. My brain hurts now, thanks.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."