Thread: Signs of Overtraining

Signs of Overtraining

Anyone know some signs of over training? Sometimes when I get back from the gym and i do normal chores around the apartment and my arms like shake sorta. It goes away as the day goes on, this is just when i come back from the gym. Usually takes like 2-3 hours to go away... Anyone know what im talking about?

Yea, thats completely normal. Overtraining could be accompanied by many symptoms including: excessive DOMS, fatigue, loss of strength, and lack of gains.

For me, I'm overtraining when my lifts go down and I'm out of energy when it's time to lift the next day or so. I usually fix this by eating more and taking a few days off. As long as I'm eating enough, my body doesn't lose muscle or strength unless I don't lift for longer than a few weeks.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Yea, thats completely normal.
    do you mean i am overtraining when this happens? Or this is ok. I'm not tired when i go on to my next day of lifting or anything, and i am making gains. I was just wondering if shaking was bad when i'm done lifting.

that's okay. That just means the muscles are pretty tired. i used to get that in my calves after leg day. It would last a few hours. It made p*ss*ng standing up a real pain.
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

No, I mean you are probably fine. Coming out of the gym tired is not a bad thing.. but I cant make any promises.. if you posted your routine we could give you a better idea if you were overtraining. Not only that, it could be any number of things. Are you taking PWO shakes? How long after working out are you ingesting solid foods? Do you eat anything before your workout?

If you are making gains, you are fine. When the gains stop.. you probably need to take a look at your routine and see if there is anything that needs to be tweaked.

ok, thanks. I figured it was normal. My routine should be fine, i posted it awhile back...thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I think loss of strength is one. Like if the weight feels unusually heavy...When I take more rests, the weight feels quite a bit lighter, its actually strange but very noticeable

I was forced to take a week off over Christmas due to a virus. When i got back to lifting my strength was awful and it took a few weeks to get back to where I was before the virus.
    This is why I hate bloody holidaymakers. They bring all sorts of crap back with them.

If you're yawning in the gym between sets, you're overtrained.

If you're yawning in the gym between sets, you may also have eating too soon before your lifts. this used to happen to me when i ate oatmeal or tf sandwhiches only 45 min before lifting. now i wait 2 hours and it's perfect!
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26 View Post
    If you're yawning in the gym between sets, you may also have eating too soon before your lifts. this used to happen to me when i ate oatmeal or tf sandwhiches only 45 min before lifting. now i wait 2 hours and it's perfect!
    I've heard of a lot of people who wait before they lift for digestion issues. Personally, I've never really had too many digestion issues unless I ate extremely oily food for days.

If I waited 2 hours before I lifted, I'd get hungry about 1/3 way into my lifts. Usually I get hungry about 4/5 way to the end of my workout. On chest day though, I get hungry about half way.

PoutineEh
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...rtraining.html
    talks about overtraining and over reaching...

Yawning can obviously be because you're tired, but I've also read that Olympic sprinters often yawn before their sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yawning can obviously be because you're tired, but I've also read that Olympic sprinters often yawn before their sprints.
    Prolly 'cause they're overtraining. If you're at the Olympic level, you're training all day.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy View Post
    Prolly 'cause they're overtraining. If you're at the Olympic level, you're training all day.
    Good point!

I don't really think you make the Olympics by overtraining all the time.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I don't really think you make the Olympics by overtraining all the time.
    Well at that level, you're just a physical phenom so your body will be able to take a LOT of punishment and recover amazingly fast. I know a few guys that train for MMA and they're in the gym all day and they sleep 12 hours a day. And they're just competing at the amateur level (not UFC/Pride).

Oh I agree man. If they have the work capacity though, then it isn't really overtraining.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

spacetime manipulator VariantInterval's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26 View Post
    Ditto, I'm the same way too, with the exact same time span, 2 hours

I've read my fair share of articles about overtraining and I don't remember a single one mentioning yawning...

Commonly listed symptoms include:
    *exhaustion
    *irritability
    *inability to maintain intense exertion
    *difficulty reaching maximum heart rate
    *higher heart rate during submaximal efforts
    *headaches and nausea
    *burn-out
    *loss of appetite
    *increased joint and muscle soreness
    *insomnia
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

^ enough said. This thread went downhill very quick.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I seem to have DOMS atleast a little bit every time I lift. It isn't very severe, but i am usually sore the next day after lifting, and the day after I will be fine. I think I need more sleep though.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415