Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52

Thread: 90 degree angle for leg press and squats

  1. #26
    Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    It's SQUATS, not swats.
    HAVE A NICE DAY

  2. #27

  3. #28
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    My powerlifting coach and me had an agruement about this "How low to go on LP" quite frankly I 100% disgree with bringing my legs to the point wher ehe wants which is basically on my chest... When I do legpress I do 90 degrees or a bit lower
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  4. #29
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Hahn,
    Your arguments are really all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Has the medical community really discovered any mind blowing revolutionary information about the knee in the last few years?
    I love doctors and all, in fact some of my best friends are MDs, but that doesn't mean they can't be wrong... You're probably too young to remember when they used to say that steroids didn't really work.
    The natural movement argument makes no sense at all. I can swing my arm in a cirle like I'm doing a fast ball pitch, it's a natural movement. Does that mean it's completely safe for me to swing a 100lb dumbell in circles as fast as I can? It would without a doubt cause an injury.
    This is a really poor analogy and you know it.
    I don't feel like typing a page on squat vs. leg press, but logic, kinesiology, and physics are on my side...
    I'm not saying squats are bad, I'm just saying I think that there's some substance in the fact that they are typically ridiculed by most doctors.
    In other words, squats are bad?
    I'm sure orthopedic surgeons are aware of what a squat is, and what is correct and bad form.
    I definately don't agree with you on this. Most people who lift regularly don't know what correct squat form is...
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-10-2007 at 07:02 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  5. #30
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    It was presented to me by my doctors that their colleagues were in agreement, but it's really beside the point since it's not a large sample of doctors-but from their experience that's how they feel. The "natural" movement can be looked at in different ways. It was my understanding that any way your body can move while standing up is a natural movement. So I was under the assumption that swinging my arm would be a natural movement. It may not be natural to do it with 100lbs, but neither is squatting with 3 or 400lbs.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  6. #31
    Senior Member KoolDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    549
    While we're on the topic of how ATF squats are the best way to go, what would you guys say about stance width?

  7. #32
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    It was presented to me by my doctors that their colleagues were in agreement, but it's really beside the point since it's not a large sample of doctors-but from their experience that's how they feel. The "natural" movement can be looked at in different ways. It was my understanding that any way your body can move while standing up is a natural movement. So I was under the assumption that swinging my arm would be a natural movement. It may not be natural to do it with 100lbs, but neither is squatting with 3 or 400lbs.
    Comparing "swinging" a dumbell of 100 lbs to a 300 lb squat is not a good comparison. Im still not squating as heavy as I can because Im still getting used to the movement (ligaments, tendons) and Im doing 225 atf - But If i picked up a couple 100's dumbells, I'd only be able to bench press them a few times.

    The thing is, gradual increases are safe. What is natural to one person may not be natural to another. The body mechanics remain the same - but the force load changes. For example, it would not be natural for me to load up 1,000 lbs on the bench press - I would hurt everything

    And if it matters to anyone, since I was younger, Ive always been able to pop my knees. Sometimes it would keep me awake as well. Since I started atf-squats, I havent had any problems - and the popping has greatly reduced.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  8. #33
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    First most of the leg press machine I've seen have limited ROM. So if your not trying to get close to your chest, keep your lower back on the pad. Then your doing very limited ROM.
    18 plates you should have some huge legs, if your hitting many good reps.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  9. #34
    eater of food dw06wu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by FullTimeStud View Post
    When I used to do leg presses, I would bring my knees down as far as I could. I ended up messing up something in my back about three different times. I would have to leave the gym and couldn't not bend over or even unrack the machine. It would really hurt for two days then completely heal. The only way that this would not happen is if I did not go down that far, only to about parallel.
    :withstupi

    I used to go pretty heavy on leg press and I've certainly tweaked my lower back on that machine before. Be careful bro.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124

    OMG OMG OMG... dude you are sooooo strong.

    quote:OMG OMG OMG... dude you are sooooo strong.

    You know there realy wasnt any reason to mean or sarcastic....

    Just say I can do more or whatever. To me it's a big deal.In fact, any improvement show your improving. I work out for the enjoyment of working out. The same goes to cardio. I think you would be better to do the same.

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124
    Here is a upper body shot of me. I will try and get a lowerbody one.
    It was taken with a cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #37
    Senior Member Howard 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,026
    I do leg press very little, if I wanna hit my quads I'd rather do front squats or lunges. But when I do it I certainly don't go to my chest cause it hurts like a bitch lol.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

  13. #38
    Banned Tofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    █♣█
    Posts
    1,230
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your legs are proportionate with your upper body, an 18 plate leg press with full ROM isn't happening. You need to lower the weight dramatically and work on your ROM. Or better yet, as I have already said, just ditch it altogether and head to the squat rack.

  14. #39
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your legs are proportionate with your upper body, an 18 plate leg press with full ROM isn't happening. You need to lower the weight dramatically and work on your ROM. Or better yet, as I have already said, just ditch it altogether and head to the squat rack.
    :withstupi
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  15. #40
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    18 plate.... Um on my machine thats 810 lbs... I don't see how you can do that unless you've bene lifting for a VERY Long time.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  16. #41
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your legs are proportionate with your upper body, an 18 plate leg press with full ROM isn't happening. You need to lower the weight dramatically and work on your ROM. Or better yet, as I have already said, just ditch it altogether and head to the squat rack.
    :withstupi :withstupi
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124

    Thank you for saying that nicley

    Thanks for giving nice,honest feedback!Here are some pics of my lower body.Theres a pic in there of my chest. I also included a picture of one of my best pals lol. Again I'm not too worried about propotion or how I look.Like I said, I work out for movin up! I'm not saying wanting to look good is a bad thing,but I just work out cause I enjoy all of it! I also like that feeling of maxing yourself or wearing yourself out. When I do cardio I like the feeling of challengine myself. In other words, I like to push myself. I guess for the feeling of challengingness(yes I know this is not a word) and to accomplish someting hard for me! I like to work out for sports as well!
    By the way, besides all this I do Dance Dance Revolution, Biking, and Basketball. I just started DDR and I love Basketball. I don't bike as of now because I live in Colorado and there is snow on the ground

    Here is my full workout:

    One day

    Arms and Back Day

    do arm curl machine 5 sets

    set 1: 45 pounds 10 reps
    set 2: 45 pounds + 10 10 reps
    set 3: 45 pounds + 20 10 reps
    set 4: 45 pounds + 30 10 reps
    set 5: 45 pounds times 2 10 reps


    Curl dumbells

    Set 1: 40 pound on each side set of 10(on each side)
    Set 2: 40 pounds on each side same
    Set 3 : 50 pounds on each side about 5-6(by then my arms are like at the point where if i do more I will pull sometinh)

    the first two of the dumbells are done with good form standing up(back straight ect.) The last set is done on a inclined thing where I rest my arm for good form. I used to do one set of 35 pounds as the first but I moved up.


    triceps

    well this machine is hard to desribe but you put a metal thing on it... triceps is the one thing my dad beats me at.......
    Which is pretty good seeing as hes 48!
    metal thing pully system thing

    1st set: 70 pounds 10 rep
    2nd set: 80 pounds 10 rep
    3rd set: 100 pounds 5 rep(this is the most I can do


    rope pulley thingy

    1st set: 50 pounds Until I can't do any more
    (25-35 reps)



    Back


    Pull dont machine (close grip)

    You know to be honest I don't really pay attention to what I do on this machine. I know this is bad.The next arm/back day I'll pay attention



    Back pull down free weight


    1st set: 45 pounds times 2 reps 10
    2nd set: 45 pounds times 4 reps 10
    3rd set: 45 poinds times 6 reps 10


    back pull ups

    Until I can't do anymore(there is no wieght on this exercize)
    11-15 (I'm getting close to 17)



    Exercizes I do on BOTH days(after Im done with the arm/back or leg/chest


    situps
    I thought it might be usful for you guys to know what I used to do

    60 straight sit ups inclined all the way on the board

    What I do now

    set 1: 40 straight sit ups(board at highest) with 25 pounds on my stomach

    set 2: usually 15-20 situps (board at highests) with 45 pounds on my stomach (at this point I'm maxing myself)


    I only could do ten sit-ups when I started working out!I have improved in this

    ab sit up thing(you put you arms on two bars and to crunches)

    1st set: 50-80(kinda fast ones) with my hands on the bars and my head up all the way

    2nd set: 50 with my hands behind where you put your head


    Lower back thing
    20 reps To be honest, I don't move up in this very much. It pulls at my hamstrings.


    Last but not least 60 push-ups


    After everying

    ten to fifteen minutes on the treadmill

    I enter in my age(19)
    wieght(160)
    time
    and it adjust it to the heart rate I need to stay at




    Saturdays sometimes....

    The bike for thirty minutes. This Saturday I was studying for class so I couldn't do it. Oh and there is no way to find the trig funtions of radians that I know of yet. However, I know that radians are equal to the arm that thier angles intercept! This is veeeeeery useful for life applied aplications.



    Like this:

    Toyoko then looking at the world from a top view. Is 60 degrees west of the Usa. Find the distance west to tokoyo.


    I'll shut up now lol. Let me know what ya think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by future_engineer; 02-11-2007 at 10:32 AM.

  18. #43
    Senior Member KoolDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    549
    Where are the compound exercises? Your workout should be composed of mostly compound movements. Ditch most of the isolation work and replace them with bench press, squat, deadlifts, military press, rows, etc. You may have already mentioned this earlier so sorry if I missed it, but what exactly are your goals?

  19. #44
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    207
    Kooldrew is right your just fooling yourself with all of the plates on leg press.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  20. #45
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by future_engineer View Post
    Thanks for giving nice,honest feedback!Here are some pics of my lower body.Theres a pic in there of my chest. I also included a picture of one of my best pals lol. Again I'm not too worried about propotion or how I look.Like I said, I work out for movin up! I'm not saying wanting to look good is a bad thing,but I just work out cause I enjoy all of it! I also like that feeling of maxing yourself or wearing yourself out. When I do cardio I like the feeling of challengine myself. In other words, I like to push myself. I guess for the feeling of challengingness(yes I know this is not a word) and to accomplish someting hard for me! I like to work out for sports as well!
    By the way, besides all this I do Dance Dance Revolution, Biking, and Basketball. I just started DDR and I love Basketball. I don't bike as of now because I live in Colorado and there is snow on the ground

    Here is my full workout:

    One day

    Arms and Back Day

    do arm curl machine 5 sets

    set 1: 45 pounds 10 reps
    set 2: 45 pounds + 10 10 reps
    set 3: 45 pounds + 20 10 reps
    set 4: 45 pounds + 30 10 reps
    set 5: 45 pounds times 2 10 reps


    Curl dumbells

    Set 1: 40 pound on each side set of 10(on each side)
    Set 2: 40 pounds on each side same
    Set 3 : 50 pounds on each side about 5-6(by then my arms are like at the point where if i do more I will pull sometinh)

    the first two of the dumbells are done with good form standing up(back straight ect.) The last set is done on a inclined thing where I rest my arm for good form. I used to do one set of 35 pounds as the first but I moved up.


    triceps

    well this machine is hard to desribe but you put a metal thing on it... triceps is the one thing my dad beats me at.......
    Which is pretty good seeing as hes 48!
    metal thing pully system thing

    1st set: 70 pounds 10 rep
    2nd set: 80 pounds 10 rep
    3rd set: 100 pounds 5 rep(this is the most I can do


    rope pulley thingy

    1st set: 50 pounds Until I can't do any more
    (25-35 reps)



    Back


    Pull dont machine (close grip)

    You know to be honest I don't really pay attention to what I do on this machine. I know this is bad.The next arm/back day I'll pay attention



    Back pull down free weight


    1st set: 45 pounds times 2 reps 10
    2nd set: 45 pounds times 4 reps 10
    3rd set: 45 poinds times 6 reps 10


    back pull ups

    Until I can't do anymore(there is no wieght on this exercize)
    11-15 (I'm getting close to 17)



    Exercizes I do on BOTH days(after Im done with the arm/back or leg/chest


    situps
    I thought it might be usful for you guys to know what I used to do

    60 straight sit ups inclined all the way on the board

    What I do now

    set 1: 40 straight sit ups(board at highest) with 25 pounds on my stomach

    set 2: usually 15-20 situps (board at highests) with 45 pounds on my stomach (at this point I'm maxing myself)


    I only could do ten sit-ups when I started working out!I have improved in this

    ab sit up thing(you put you arms on two bars and to crunches)

    1st set: 50-80(kinda fast ones) with my hands on the bars and my head up all the way

    2nd set: 50 with my hands behind where you put your head


    Lower back thing
    20 reps To be honest, I don't move up in this very much. It pulls at my hamstrings.


    Last but not least 60 push-ups


    After everying

    ten to fifteen minutes on the treadmill

    I enter in my age(19)
    wieght(160)
    time
    and it adjust it to the heart rate I need to stay at




    Saturdays sometimes....

    The bike for thirty minutes. This Saturday I was studying for class so I couldn't do it. Oh and there is no way to find the trig funtions of radians that I know of yet. However, I know that radians are equal to the arm that thier angles intercept! This is veeeeeery useful for life applied aplications.



    Like this:

    Toyoko then looking at the world from a top view. Is 60 degrees west of the Usa. Find the distance west to tokoyo.


    I'll shut up now lol. Let me know what ya think




    Just do WWB1 dude.

    And I don't know if I'm just being an idiot or what, but wtf is the thing in the 3rd picture?

  21. #46
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    And I don't know if I'm just being an idiot or what, but wtf is the thing in the 3rd picture?
    It looks like a bird.


    And to the OP, your workout is quite ridiculous in a very bad way. Try one of these routines ~>
    BGB
    5x5

    Another link to check out ~>
    How to do cardio if you must
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 02-11-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124

    ok ya sorry about that

    The thing in the third picture is my cockatiel star. As I mention before, She is my pal lol. I have had her for a


    Goals:


    to bench 225 pounds(halfway there)


    to squat 275 pounds(a third of the way there)

    to curl 60 pounds(75 percent there)


    To get all around strong!!!!!


    I'm not really working out for the ladies though. More for my personal goals.Now that I think about it, I wanna be able to walk out in public fearless of some getto dude beating the crap out of me. I wanna be strong enough to be a gaurdian or protector. I will need to lose wieght obviosly for this and get stronger. So what is the typical strong guy wieght? Please let me know. Oh and I was skinner when I first started working out three years ago. I have gained some muscle(as well as fat) since then.


    By the way I hope your all not pissed about my bird pic.

  23. #48
    Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,236
    This thread has motivated me to stop doing the leg press entirely. I did walking lunges today and they were much more rewarding than I expected. I recommend.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

  24. #49
    Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    This thread has motivated me to stop doing the leg press entirely. I did walking lunges today and they were much more rewarding than I expected. I recommend.
    Ha Ha. Hey, thats not so bad anyway, good to change things from time to time.

    BTW future_engineer, good to see a bit of humour. Nice bird, cheap in Aus, must be expensive where you are.

  25. #50
    Senior Member KoolDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    549
    Try Bill Starr 5x5.

Similar Threads

  1. Join the 300lb Overhead Press Club
    By Keith Wassung in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 05:57 AM
  2. Christian Thibaudeau's Modern Methods of Strength Training
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
  3. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  4. For HIT Jedis Powerlifters and Power Bodybuilders: The Evil Russian Speaks
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:29 PM
  5. A New Walk
    By Saturday Fever in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-02-2002, 11:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •